Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The night before you loved the game, next day not so much

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
edited October 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I guess plenty of gamers had this feeling, you play a game you really enjoy and have a lot of fun, stay up late then have to log off due to work or school.
You turn in to get up to work next day, you think about the game you played last night and you are planing what you are gonna do next.
You come home, make dinner, eat, then something happens, It just struck you, you don't have that urge to play that game you had so much fun the nigh before, you see the icon on the desktop, but you don't klick it, you klick on another game and don't play that game you had so much fun the night before for months or ever.

It was like a wall that sead NO, I don't want to play you.

I had this few times and I've never understood how the human brain to just shut down like that about a game.
JeffSpicoliThunder073Krematory

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I can't personally say that I've lost interest in a game that suddenly. Usually it's a gradual thing, for me anyway.
    SovrathFrodoFragins
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2017
    I've experienced this several times actually though I suspect the idea creeps up in the back of my head, nagging doubts I keep pushing back down until one day it hits in one revelation that my time is done.

JeffSpicoliThunder073

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Yea i been there with games and some girls ive dated in my life ..

Its called

A One Nite Stand:)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I usually experience that feeling 5 seconds after I change from free trial to subscription. 
    Panther2103klash2defJeffSpicoli

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's like a regrettable one-night-stand for you? Can't say I've ever experienced that with a game. After a night of drinking at a bar? Yeah... but not with a game.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The question I have for you is when you try it again(after what you described above) do you regain the desire to play it or did the feeling just 100% disappear?
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Maurgrim said:
    I guess plenty of gamers had this feeling, you play a game you really enjoy and have a lot of fun, stay up late then have to log off due to work or school.
    You turn in to get up to work next day, you think about the game you played last night and you are planing what you are gonna do next.
    You come home, make dinner, eat, then something happens, It just struck you, you don't have that urge to play that game you had so much fun the nigh before, you see the icon on the desktop, but you don't klick it, you klick on another game and don't play that game you had so much fun the night before for months or ever.

It was like a wall that sead NO, I don't want to play you.

I had this few times and I've never understood how the human brain to just shut down like that about a game.

Yes, this happened a lot of times.....Off like a switch..... However on second thought after reading one of the replies, it may had been lingering or festering a few days before. I'm not sure now ! 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2017
    I know i know more Wow bashing,but that game literally had me running back to EQ2.
    Another game that was worse than i thought..GW2.Usually if i get excited for a game,it tuns out pretty good,i do some homework before a purchase.
    Any more that i had at least semi high expectations?Rift,it became a borefest after a few days.That is about it for high expectations that turned out to be deletions.
    Well perhaps i was mildly excited for that other Trion game,the one with the TV series and stuff,i had hoped that would be good.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I've had this happen a few times. Usually with something I really enjoy but mentally feel on the fence about. It's really strange because I'll go play the game, have so much fun, come back the next day, not want to play it at all, then the second I see someone talk about it I'll have a HUGE urge to play the game again. I think it's with games I love the idea of but not the actual game as much. 
    Tsiya
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    This hits pretty close to home.  Sometimes I quit cold turkey, like I just forget that I even have the game installed.  Other times it takes a few iterations of launching the game, running in a circle a few times, and then exiting.

I've done this with every MMO for the last few years, probably since a month or so after War's launch.  I also do it pretty often with long or open ended games like D3, POE, Fallout, The Witcher, etc.  Sometimes I think about these games when I'm away from my PC and get excited about planning character builds and such, but by the time I get home it's completely gone from my mind.

I kind of think it's me getting bored with gaming.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    For me its often being really interested in a game and once I get to actually play the game my interest is dead. In a few cases I just have to watch the game in action to feel my hype dying.

With games I enjoyed playing its more gradual, I simply find myself having less and less fun playing until I quit.
    JeffSpicoli
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I'd say it's gradual but the last part is steep. I gradually lose interest in games until I start thinking about other games I have played and enjoyed in the past or hear about a new and exciting title. Eventually one of those titles starts to sound more interesting than what I am currently playing. From that point, the decline in interest is steep as my desire to play this other game overwhelms the desire to continue logging in to my current game.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Gave this more thought as to when, 

It seems when I stop learning.  I tend to study deeply as I'm playing. Infact many games I'll spend as many hours watching Youtubes as playing.  When I have done MOST all the cool stuff, that's when it hits.

The proof:
    I can't play any mindless shooters, where you run and gun simply picking up weapons along the way....The learning in the only intriguing part.  The story behind the game is of no real interest.

One example:
    Fallout 4 base building, I was obsessed with it. I built this amazing base. Impenetrable building then with all its catwalks and gun turret's.  When it was done and realized the attack horde is never really going to come, this is when it hit.  I realized the story and quest never really interested me.  Joining any faction was all the same, they sent you on mindless fetch quest.

MMOs:
    Playing with others, this keeps me playing. But since their are no mmos where you play with others...their of no interest anymore. Their not even mmos !!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The only times that has happened to me with games, is when they have instituted a change to the game that was particularly self destructive, with SWG it was the NGE, which i think is probably the best example i can give that would be easily recognisable. But it has also happened with games that went from P2P to F2P though those were games that were having problems anyway, just compounding the issues with cash shop debauchery. :/
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited October 2017
    Happens to me all the time, especially with MMOs. I think a switch just goes in my head that makes me realise I'm wasting a lot of time doing repetitive things. I instantly decide my time is better spent on either something else or a game that's going to show me something different. Although I find levelling and choosing builds and collecting items fun.. eventually I just question "What's the point?". The answer is always the same, there isn't one.
    [Deleted User]TsiyaJeffSpicolishalissar
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    I do this a lot. I think it boils down to burnout and experience. Now days it's harder to get in to games at all for me. Sometimes i finally decide to try one out and i might spend the night with it if it's any good. Eventually it's time to sleep. From when i stop playing, sleep, spend a day at work, get a workout done, come home, make some dinner, to finally have time to sit down to continue the game - my brain seems to have background-processed it and i get this "i already know this, i've done this before and i know what's going to happen"-feeling. From then on i can't continue without it feeling pointless and like a waste of time. So i usually just leave it rotting for a few weeks/months and then finally uninstall it.

I think i'm just really hard to impress since i've played a lot of games for the past ~25 years, and they all start to feel very "same-same, but different".
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    timtrack said:
    I do this a lot. I think it boils down to burnout and experience. Now days it's harder to get in to games at all for me. Sometimes i finally decide to try one out and i might spend the night with it if it's any good. Eventually it's time to sleep. From when i stop playing, sleep, spend a day at work, get a workout done, come home, make some dinner, to finally have time to sit down to continue the game - my brain seems to have background-processed it and i get this "i already know this, i've done this before and i know what's going to happen"-feeling. From then on i can't continue without it feeling pointless and like a waste of time. So i usually just leave it rotting for a few weeks/months and then finally uninstall it.

I think i'm just really hard to impress since i've played a lot of games for the past ~25 years, and they all start to feel very "same-same, but different".
    That is how I feel about classic MMO's and how I feel right now. May be I need to try a new genre. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    In my case, when that happens, it usually doesn't have much to do with the game, at all, and more to do with the feeling that I'm wasting too much time that I should be spending on more important matters.

Let's face it, if you stay up all night grinding away on a game, you've probably just wasted a lot of time ;)  For some people, that feeling of pointlessness and waste can turn your mind to other things pretty quickly.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I get this all the time.  Wake up and go, "nope, can't."  Cannot log in one more time. 

I think maybe it is an over saturation to the visuals.  A lot of games produce the same graphic design that just changes in subtle ways.  I feel having portals to lower regions, underworlds, overworlds, slip dimensions, you name it, where the artistry of the game completely changes helps. 

But often game makers turn these extras into microtransactions and dlc's and future $$$ content.  Which would be fine if it was affordable but it never is, for a common wage earner.  When it turns into a rich man's toy everyone leaves to play something free and cheesy.  Cheaper to leave than a new dlc in the game you once "loved" and new graphics; win win.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    This happened to me with GW2.. I really wanted to like it I did but no matter what I just cant get into it.. Idk why. 
    Hiromant
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I noticed that I only have this problem in the past five years or so.  The game market is incredibly over-saturated, and I see games that I want to try all the time.  Then I buy it and I start playing it and I love it.  I go to sleep, I get home from work the next day and I think about playing it, but then I realize how much time I'll have to invest in learning the mechanics, reading up on the abilities... ect and I don't launch it again.

A little over five years ago, however, I played every game from start to finish and sometimes multiple times.

Instead, I just end up logging into Overwatch and playing that all night because I don't have to learn anything new except for patch day.  It's a familiar pair of favorite jeans.  It's comfortable.
    [Deleted User]Ghavrigg
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2017
    I get that feeling a lot, and it is because i have so many games to play that i am very indecisive. One day i have a blast playing X game, then the next day i am debating whether to continue playing X or try Y game, then there is also Z game whistling trying to get my attention, and so on and so forth.

Indecision with games makes me have those feelings the OP described. I usually let my mood determine what game i want to play on a particular day.

EDIT: but many times i end up not playing anything for a day or two, and that usually helps make up my mind and tackle a single game all the way to the end. But the whole cycle of indecision repeats quite frequently.
    H0urg1ass[Deleted User]Gorwe

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Usually it comes right after some major grind of some sort.  You spent significant time for some goal, then you have it, and you fall out of love with the game.  On some level you are unwilling to "go through that again."
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I have never been able to explain it so I put it down to me being flighty. I just suddenly don't want to log in at all or touch the game if it is a single player for some unfathomable reason but as someone else pointed out it must a subconscious feeling of unhappiness with some aspect of the game that finally overcomes you.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited October 2017
    This has never happened to me because I research the games I am going to play very thoroughly, which saves time and money.

Wait for reviews not previews, check out forums but remember no game can please everyone, check metacritic, look at steam for overall reaction, ask your gaming mates if they have played it or heard anything about it.

That might seem like a long time, but compared to playing a game for a couple of days and deciding it is not for you, it is no time at all.