Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Heroes Omega - Omega Prestige: Prestige Should Be Fun, Not Mandatory - MMORPG.com

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageMarvel Heroes Omega - Omega Prestige: Prestige Should Be Fun, Not Mandatory - MMORPG.com

For a while now, Marvel Heroes players could optionally Prestige (re-level) their heroes up to six times, each time earning its own special color nameplate as a reward. Cosmic, the final tier of Prestige, required something like 25X the normal experience to level from 1-60, but your name would show up in yellow, the color of Cosmic rarity items in Marvel Heroes. It was something to do for fun or to show off your dedication to a particular hero to other players.

Read the full story here

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Just to Warn people Cosmic Prestige is not for everyone. It can make you quit the game as boring it is being locked out from level 60 content for weeks or months. I would avoid it unless people can take it.
    gearchin13
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Yea, being locked out of the max levels where all the content is for forever because you're obligated to in order to maximize your character... it's almost like they want the game to die.

Of course, you could always pay to skip some of it.  But, if I recall correctly, not ALL of it.
  • Tabloid42Tabloid42 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I hate hate hate this lazy sad idea. I guess they can avoid making an End game if they make it so the End game IS never playing at End Game. The game is a just held up by a few nuts and bolts at this point. It's too bad because it was fun and not many games with marvel heroes.
    FrodoFragins
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Never got into the prestige system at all. It felt like a lot of work for a title with color. It just didn't feel as fun, like the game use to.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    The only way this could be more on-point is to give the character a harpoon item.

I got a character to 52 Cosmic before I hit the wall. And not because it was too big a timesink - I was fine with the pace - but because the "Why?" hit me in the face. The push to console was a clear signal to me that the company considered the PC version a failure, and so putting more play time into it was crazy.

Trying to soak their big-spenders for more $$$ just adds support to how I view the game, right or wrong in the end. How many more players will ask the "Why?" question like I did, and move on to one of the myriad of options available?
    Octagon7711Avarix

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    edited October 2017
    Yes it's very sad. Quite clear that they lack any kind of vision for this game. Too many changes at the top since release have resulted in no particular direction as to where it should go. I did several prestiges to the red level but was never interested in the grind involved in going cosmic. Now you have to do that before you can start omega? Who is doing the thinking at the top? Adds a whole new level to the word boring.....

Edit: OK a little looking revealed they are revamping the prestige system. Apparently going all the way to the top will be roughly 17 times the XP rather than the 25 times under the current system. Not quite as bad but still a very poor excuse for end game play.
    Post edited by cmacq on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Torval said:

That was a good write up and you nailed it. This reminds me of the same mistake Funcom made with AEGIS that sent players packing. It's a mistake and I can't fathom how they arrived at the conclusion this would be a good idea. From a million miles off anyone can see this a train wreck in progress.

Heck, in one of Narius's last posts before being put on "leave " he mentioned he had stopped playing due to recent changes though he was a huge fan of this game.

Sounds like they are ruining a good thing in order to increase their revenues from whaling.
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I like the idea of "endless" progression for a character, so I can be as powerful as I want to be. I hate the plan for how this will done however, being required to start over at level 1 over and over again - where you are forced to unequip all of your gear (because that gear has a level requirement to equip it) is no fun. Going back to level 1 - you no longer have access to your skills, as they are level bound. You cannot go to certain zones. What about artifacts? Currently those have a level requirement to equip, yet they also are leveled through XP - so all those 1-60 relevelling trips, none of that XP goes to your legendary?
    [Deleted User]
  • NarlhNarlh Member UncommonPosts: 18
    One of the many reasons I've left the game. I bought into the system, paid way too much for a "free" game, and did so willingly with no regrets. After all the recent changes, starting with the BUE and finally this nail in the coffin, I can say, I'm done. Farewell silly game I used to love.
    Stjerneodd
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    This game has gone to such shit. It's sad, as I really dug it.
    MindTricked

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Gazillion makes one awful mistake after another. They are extremely lucky they have such a loyal, albeit, extremely small fanbase.
    FrodoFragins
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    They need to rework the previous prestige tiers now to also offer bonuses.
    [Deleted User]
  • MindTrickedMindTricked Member UncommonPosts: 41
    I've been (technically) playing since launch. I've only prestiged one character - Spider-Man - to RED. Never had any desire to Cosmic, and I still don't. I've prestiged to re-learn a character after a skill overhaul, and maybe to pick up a new default costume for the random costume recipe, but that's it. THIS RIGHT HERE? This is silly. I swear, the current dev squad are doing everything possible to absolutely alienate any and every player that's been playing for more than a year.

I'm not thinking this game, at least not for the PC, is going to be around much longer, because Gazillion keeps shooting itself in the foot with changes none of the player base is behind.
  • DiggsworthDiggsworth Member UncommonPosts: 8
    This just feels like a nail in the coffin that they built when they did the ability and item revamp, really sad to see the game go from steaming pile of trash, to amazing, right back to steaming pile of trash.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The original lead developer chimed in on reddit offering the same opinion. Prestiging was designed to offer cosmetic only rewards.

I think the system is salvageable by making omega prestige a max level thing that can only be done in omega difficulties. Having to do Cosmic prestige to unlock it is very painful without boosts.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Torval said:

That was a good write up and you nailed it. This reminds me of the same mistake Funcom made with AEGIS that sent players packing. It's a mistake and I can't fathom how they arrived at the conclusion this would be a good idea. From a million miles off anyone can see this a train wreck in progress.

They have some really bad lead developers these days. They are completely clueless to the ARPG genre. These days they pat themselves on the back for all of their money making schemes.

Even their new "build defining" omega sets are laughable for the most part. The game is filled with lazy designs and half baked ideas.
    BruceYee
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    This is a really lazy way to attempt to get people to keep playing the game. Honestly, anyone who plays for a bit will see right through this after they realize the game is still the same at OMEGA LEVEL!!!!!!!!! 36 as it is at level 60.
    BruceYee
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Yeah... No doubt this will hit PC eventually. Time to move on.
  • LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    The original lead developer chimed in on reddit offering the same opinion. Prestiging was designed to offer cosmetic only rewards.

I think the system is salvageable by making omega prestige a max level thing that can only be done in omega difficulties. Having to do Cosmic prestige to unlock it is very painful without boosts.
    Do you have a link to that reddit post, please? I would like to read it and it seems I can't find that post.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    edited October 2017
    So unless this is going to work different on the rollout of PC then on Console, the console Omega Prestige system is pretty abysmal.  We've all been fighting for som QOL changes.

Losing your gear each prestige rank is annoying, and losing your abilities is also really annoying.

With each prestige rank you do get a little more powerful, 8% more powerful,  and of course any XP you earn towards your Infinity points doesn't get any reduction from the "XP bands" that Omega Prestige counts.

(The "bands" are every 10 levels, increasing the amount of XP needed for each level, legendary XP and Infinity XP are not hindered by this)

Costume abilities don't count in this,  though not sure how PC works with the new costume abilities, my experiences are solely console related.

Is the system lackluster?  You betcha.  

That's not to even get into the Omega Difficulty and the awful bug preventing characters from receiving worthwhile gear sets and instead getting ones they can't use.  Like gear for wolverine dropping with the Phoenix gear set which favors ranged damage, or Punisher getting the Mark of the Iron Fist gear which favors melee and hand to hand.  

Power wise, the rewards and 560% damage is inconsequential and doesn't matter at all.  Characters are so widely unbalanced (on console at least) that some characters are already way stronger without any need to omega prestige, and that doesn't even count Infinity Points which you can procure exponentially so... actual balance was thrown out the window before console launch even began. 
    [Deleted User]

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    The combat to me is the only thing remaining that is fun and very polished which is an accomplishment in itself but every other aspect of the game is lacking imo. If you put in your time and got all the gear, medallion, insignia crafting upgrades and geared all your favorite heroes and villains there is little left to do if prestige grind isn't your thing.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    The PC version went from a shit game to a fantastic one, though now it seems as though they've looped completely around and started over again. Maybe the game is just trying to increase its own prestige level!
    BruceYeeAeander

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This sounds decidedly unfun.
    Chamber of Chains