The Real Question ...

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAMember UncommonPosts: 2,214
When?
Kyleran

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,889
    edited October 5
    "When?" is either the ultimate question or "that which must not be asked " for all of these indie MMOs.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "42."

Maybe Mark had it right, "But of that day and of that hour no man knows, neither the Angels of Heaven, ... For you do not know when the appointed time will come."

;)
    Post edited by Kyleran on
    Sovrathd_20MrMelGibsonAeliousdelete5230TheocritusSedrynTyrosKiori001Daranarpostlarval

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - CCP continues to wander aimlessly

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZindaihasZindaihas Seattle, WAMember UncommonPosts: 3,642
    They said in that last video that pre-alpha testing will begin soon.  Of course, soon could mean anytime between now and next year.  But what exactly is "pre-alpha" testing?  Nothing comes before alpha in the Greek alphabet, so what does the "pre" mean?  Is it where they stick one toe in the water just to test the temperature and if it feels comfortable, then they put both feet in next?

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,200
    Zindaihas said:
    They said in that last video that pre-alpha testing will begin soon.  Of course, soon could mean anytime between now and next year.  But what exactly is "pre-alpha" testing?  Nothing comes before alpha in the Greek alphabet, so what does the "pre" mean?  Is it where they stick one toe in the water just to test the temperature and if it feels comfortable, then they put both feet in next?
    If people been paying attention the last 5 years the gaming industry has changed a LOT.

No longer are things done simple and obvious,everything now is marketing deception,cover ups,promises yada yada.

This PRE idea is simply trying to be careful on what players should expect.To simply say Alpha,players automatically think "ok it's close,should be a good look".Then if looks awful,everyone jumps all over it and damage is done.

This game has to be very careful,they do not have unlimited marketing budgets to fire up fancy videos like Blizzard and others,so they have to make sure each step is a good one.

Personally i kind of already have a pretty good idea of what to expect in most of the game design.I'll be straight up frank,i am not expecting magic here but i am hoping there is enough creativity to get me involved,i really yearn for a new mmorpg.
    Griffbane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Seattle, WAMember UncommonPosts: 3,642
    Wizardry said:
    If people been paying attention the last 5 years the gaming industry has changed a LOT.

No longer are things done simple and obvious,everything now is marketing deception,cover ups,promises yada yada.

This PRE idea is simply trying to be careful on what players should expect.To simply say Alpha,players automatically think "ok it's close,should be a good look".Then if looks awful,everyone jumps all over it and damage is done.

This game has to be very careful,they do not have unlimited marketing budgets to fire up fancy videos like Blizzard and others,so they have to make sure each step is a good one.

Personally i kind of already have a pretty good idea of what to expect in most of the game design.I'll be straight up frank,i am not expecting magic here but i am hoping there is enough creativity to get me involved,i really yearn for a new mmorpg.
    Thanks a lot, Frank, that was very informative. :)

• rodarinrodarin camarillo, CAMember RarePosts: 1,956
    thats not the REAL question....
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Grah, ALMember RarePosts: 1,065
    They were shooting to release in 2017, so alpha should begin sometime in 2020.
    MrMelGibsondelete5230JamesGoblinMadFrenchie
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,420
    My guess for years based on development pace has been 2019. I'm guessing pre-alpha around end of year, full alpha a year later, and launch a year after that.
    sarielis

• svannsvann san jose, CAMember UncommonPosts: 2,022
    edited October 6
    Ive learned that you cant have open beta stretch out too long or people finish the game and get bored before release.  See Project Gorgon.
    Post edited by svann on
  • cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 4,918
    edited October 6
    I regret betaing games they inevitably turn out to ruin the main game when it releases if I indulge in the beta by playing too much. These days I do not beta games I really want to play.
    Post edited by cheyane on
  • svannsvann san jose, CAMember UncommonPosts: 2,022
    edited October 6
    delete
    Post edited by svann on
  • TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INMember RarePosts: 5,442
    Not even pre alpha yet...people are really jumping the gun on games.
  • AnthurAnthur StolbergMember UncommonPosts: 863
    Maybe a real question but there is no real answer. I see the possibility that it might enter alpha (not pre-alpha) till the end of next year. But I wouldn't bet on it.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,128
    I'll be signing up for the pre pre alpha.
    Kyleran
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLMember RarePosts: 1,486
    2 years at the earliest.
    Kyleransarieliskjempff
  • MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,879
    When isn't a question to me.  Rather, it's a requirement.  When the game is out and when I have some hands-on experience, then I will decide.
    Griffbane

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALMember RarePosts: 2,019
    As others have said two years with the pre alpha by the end of this year most likely. I will be in beta as I didn't give enough to get into the alphas. As a veteran of FFXI I have to say I am looking forward to this style of game play again. Not that I expect it to be a ton like XI but many of the core mechanics seem to be there. However I have seen talk from the guys on the team eluding to something like limit breaks in XI and possible lvl sync. Not anything absolute but a cool possibility none the less,
  • GriffbaneGriffbane Member CommonPosts: 5
    Pre-Alpha, Alpha.... Whatever. I for one am looking forward to this game immensely !
  • coretex666coretex666 PragueMember RarePosts: 3,228
    Star Citizen forum is over there.
    Excession
  • delete5230delete5230 Member RarePosts: 4,231
    Two years from this up coming Saturday.
  • ExcessionExcession NottinghamMember RarePosts: 709
    When?

When it is ready.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• AmatheAmathe Miami, FLMember RarePosts: 2,989
    Summer, 2019 
    svann

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GriffbaneGriffbane Member CommonPosts: 5
    August 21 2018
  • DaranarDaranar Walkersville, MDMember UncommonPosts: 262
    "Soon."   It used to be my most hated word, but I've come to love it.   I play a simulator called iRacing and the devs are notorious for their use of the word 'soon.'   The community uses that single word in the majority of all iRacing jokes because the devs there hate committing to time frames and want things to be ready for release.  It's frustrating because we all wanted to know when dirt was coming and every other release, we are fans, we crave new content.

Soon is a word I now love.  'Soon' is the enemy of heartbreak.  Soon keeps anticipation in check and soon eliminates all worries of letdown.   Soon does all of this for the player and so much more for the devs.   Soon makes delays easy because no one knows.  Soon prevents the dreaded 'rushed content.'  Soon gives the devs the ability to focus on the task at hand.  Soon produces fun to play and creative games.   Soon is the friend of ingenuity.  Because soon doesn't demand the potential for defeat.

I hope everyone learns to love 'soon' one day like I have.  Soon is liberating.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

FREE Mobile Puzzle Game.  Simon Said What?  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.BGM.SimonSaidWhat