Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Zandog said:
    @MaxBacon don't bother bro. They have a bigger vested interest in seeing the game fail than you do convincing them otherwise. I just got back from a 3 week break from Star Citizen content. It was refreshing. I'll post again once 3.0 arrives. Regardless of what's said, no one will stop it.
    What possible interest could anyone have in the game failing?
    I'd lose ~50$
    Odeezee

..Cake..

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited October 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    [mod edit]?
    Where are they getting the money to back that project? Backers? I mean they beg every chance they get for more cash for themselves as it is..
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    [mod edit]
    SlyLoK said:
    Where are they getting the money to back that project? Backers? I mean they beg every chance they get for more cash for themselves as it is..
    Someone likely who backed a KS project and logged in with the wrong account, the RSI one, then it appears to everyone as a project RSI backed, oups!
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Bored of the wait, bored of the haters, bored of the rhetoric, bored of the hype. Just let me know when they are launching a real product, or when they crash and burn if that happens too. 
    Unless you're talking about DS. I'll jump on to repost that he's a, err, toxic individual that I wouldn't trust as far as I can jump on a galactic blackhole.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

Turrets have been one of the frustrating bits, the 1:1 movement with the mouse would be much better but already have people salty at balance cause fast ships gg
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    MaxBacon said:
    When you throw more money and people at a project the expectation is less time to complete the project.
    That'd be the case, if what was to be completed didn't increase in the number of features/scope, countering the effect it would have if you had a fixed scope given more resources.

It's not even much even in scope, they do a lot of R&D on everything, they are willing to redo, to refactor, prioritizing the design of how they want things to be over what their current engine and codebase can handle, hence the big push on engineering on the tech front.

That has a HUGE cost in time budget, but also what the backers support and allow them to do.
    Essentially you are talking about the iron triangle.

There is also the idea the idea of critical path to consider. The idea of certain tasks that must be completed in a certain order before the project can be complete, and whatever path of tasks is going to take the longest being your critical path.

Sometimes you end up with tasks that throwing more manpower at it doesn't effectively reduce the time as well as it should. I'm sure anyone who's ever worked a real job or taken part in any kind of significant group project has run into situations where if you put too many people on the same task you end up getting in each other's way. In a company with lots of resources, once they go to put workers on the critical path they're going to discover that fairly quickly the tasks you can't really just double up workers on and get done faster will become your new critical path.

I'm assuming that's why they keep widening the scope. They are probably at a point where whatever their critical path is, is something they don't want just throw more bodies at. In the case where you have too much budget but can't effectively cut time, looking back at the iron triangle, that would be a good time to allow some scope creep into the project.
    Gdemami
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Babuinix said:
    hfztt said:
    Babuinix said:
    But Star Citizen is delivering features way ahead of other space games. It already has some of the most difficult stuff to pull in a space game like meaningful Space Legs, EVA, Multicrew all seamless integrated thanks to dozens of ship's already built inside and out with dynamic components, Highly detailed Space Stations you can walk on and mingle, planets coming next...

Plenty of games released years and years ago have tried and failed to pull that off while Star Citizen already has it while still in Alpha. 
    Bleh. StarMade have them beat by years. Sure no shiny gfx, but the gameplay is there. Actually they have way more SC features up and running than SC have.

Just saying.
    Not really a "simulation" or a "living breathing universe" makes it another Space themed Lego building game alike.
    We were talking actual delivered gameplay. SC currently neither sports that kind of gameplay. 

You moved the goal posts mate. Not accepted.
    ScotchUpOdeezee
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    From the Origin X1 Q&A
    Is uh… this apartment in the background going to be for sale sometime, too? Because that is a REALLY nice place. Love that ultra-minimalist furniture scheme.

No announcement on this just yet! We’re pleased you like it, though!

The view in question.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16155-Q-A-Origin-X1

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    From the Origin X1 Q&A
    Is uh… this apartment in the background going to be for sale sometime, too? Because that is a REALLY nice place. Love that ultra-minimalist furniture scheme.

No announcement on this just yet! We’re pleased you like it, though!

The view in question.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16155-Q-A-Origin-X1

CIG selling in-game real-estate? 
    Star Citizen players asking to buy it?
    Colour me surprised!

..Cake..

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited October 2017
    sgel said:
    Colour me surprised!

Guess what all the work about planetary base building was all about ?  ;-)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/7022-Star-Citizen-Planets-Survival-amp-Base-Building

Or all that hangar decorations ? I would compare it with the level of decorations in SWTOR (with a limited number of location and orientation choices)

It is not quite on the level of Star Wars Galaxies interior design yet, but getting closer. In SWG you were able to freely place and rotate all manner of parts, which allowed the player to create new and creative pieces that no developer has ever thought of.

http://www.onlinewelten.com/image/7040919631f3c918e913e0f901461204/title/screen0/1000/800/newsinline/pic-1391.jpg

Have fun

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited October 2017
    Erillion having to work over time since Max got a vacation. He has the last responses to every current SC topic right now. Other than this one of course. Which he did have before I made this post.

I took a screenshot to preserve it. A lot of red 'banned' placards and a lot of rabbits with sunglasses.

It really does highlight the amount of 'interest' there is here when there are 9 topics with activity in past 48 hours and Max or Erillion started or had the last post in 7 of them. Probably would have been 8 but one of them was closed and i am sure Max was banned during his repsonse....
    Odeezee
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:
    Colour me surprised!

Guess what all the work about planetary base building was all about ?  ;-)

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/7022-Star-Citizen-Planets-Survival-amp-Base-Building

Or all that hangar decorations ? I would compare it with the level of decorations in SWTOR (with a limited number of location and orientation choices)

It is not quite on the level of Star Wars Galaxies interior design yet, but getting closer. In SWG you were able to freely place and rotate all manner of parts, which allowed the player to create new and creative pieces that no developer has ever thought of.

http://www.onlinewelten.com/image/7040919631f3c918e913e0f901461204/title/screen0/1000/800/newsinline/pic-1391.jpg

Have fun

SWG did have a great idea.  Drop down permissions list.  You could place vendors in your home to sell you goods.  Anyone could enter if you wanted and have a look around at how well you decorated the place.  You could pack it up and move to another planet.  Anyone with the money could buy a guild hall and use that as a home or create a mall for several vendors.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited October 2017
    Dual Universe is also making use of a permission system that I thought looked quite interesting, 6 mins 30 secs in.

SlyLoK
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    SWG did have a great idea.  Drop down permissions list.  You could place vendors in your home to sell you goods.  Anyone could enter if you wanted and have a look around at how well you decorated the place.  You could pack it up and move to another planet.  Anyone with the money could buy a guild hall and use that as a home or create a mall for several vendors.
    I remember fondly both my own shop on Lok and my vendors in Coronet, in the most prestigious shopping mall (Naritus server) there. I hope SC will also offer these options.

Unfortunately it does NOT offer the ability to craft unique items, so that every artisan could distinguish himself by offering superior items (with the right (rare) resources, experience and high end tools). But it is clear to me that this must have been one hell of a burden on the SWG database.

Have fun
    Octagon7711Gdemami
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Wedlen said:
    I for one truly believe they are working as slowly as possible in order to make tens of millions more in donations. They are under no legal obligation to finish this game. They have made 160 000 000 NOT finishing this game. I would love to see where all of the money actually went or is going because 160 million is ALOT of money. You can build massive buildings for that amount of money. My bet is they are not taking the bus or driving Ford's anymore and they are driving Mercedes and BMW etc. 

You would be correct.  There is a lot of spending.  My guess: strippers, travels and toys.  Oh, and some incredible food.  Must not forget the $800 dinners at Alinea.  Anyone want to bet?  (Because I'm going to win.) 
    Odeezee
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Herase said:
    What, don't you see SC and SQ42 topping the charts everywhere. Like every streamer is going nuts playing it, its topping the viewing charts everywhere......rolls eyes.

The only thing they managed to get working with no flaws was the cash shop.
    What does anything you just said have to do with AAA game? By your logic any indie game that has done well is now a AAA tile :/

Like EQNext and their other game...
    I think there is a quite a few major differences between them, other than they were making two games. Not the best comparison tbh

The comparison was not at the games, but the company's lies.  
    Odeezee
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97

Alpha 3.0 has been released to the external Evocati testers.
    ErillionJamesGoblinOdeezee
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Zandog said:

Alpha 3.0 has been released to the external Evocati testers.
    The first hands-on I've seen from PCGamer is promising.

I look forward to reading more across the web as it's released.

From monthly report, the first images of what is Certainly the WIP biome for Hurston:

First pics of the second Mission giver:

And the new Fleet Manager app, also deals with insurance claims:

ErillionOrinoriEldurianZandogBabuinix
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Definitely all this planetary content is making me happy my most expensive ship I own is a Carrack. I hope that's one of the ships they start prioritizing soon given how well it fits with the content we are seeing coming out right now.
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Eldurian said:8
    Definitely all this planetary content is making me happy my most expensive ship I own is a Carrack. I hope that's one of the ships they start prioritizing soon given how well it fits with the content we are seeing coming out right now.
    The Anvil Carrack has begun white box phase, woot! 
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
    Was reading into Citizencon stuff.

I think one of the demos is certainly related to exploration, if Planets, most likely the first showcase of their works on Procedural Cities. hm

As for the new ship, the first civilian capital might just be about constructing outposts or space stations? That's what people say o.o
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    MaxBacon said:

As for the new ship, the first civilian capital might just be about constructing outposts or space stations? That's what people say o.o
    Yeah I did ask you about this before but perhaps you missed the post. Judging by this post though you know as little as I do about it. From what I gather people just made up this constructing bases thing and everyone is just running with it as fact?
    Orinori said:
    MaxBacon said:

Yeah I did ask you about this before but perhaps you missed the post. Judging by this post though you know as little as I do about it. From what I gather people just made up this constructing bases thing and everyone is just running with it as fact?
    It's speculation, the wording they used in the citcon announcement that seems to have hinted some people it's related to construction.

It would be one entire new sphere to SC because there was literally no sorts of crafting in design.