Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Valnir Rok Early Access Preview - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageValnir Rok Early Access Preview - MMORPG.com

Valnir Rok is a multiplayer online sandbox survival roleplaying game that just entered Early Access on Steam, giving yet another option in an already crowded genre. Finding a way to set itself apart from other survival games will be paramount to its success. The developers at Germany based encurio seem to be up to the task by adding some life to their sandbox world.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Eh... I'll pass.
    darkhearts
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited October 2017
    The sandbox survival genre may go down in history as the first genre to clone itself into mediocrity faster than theme park MMOs.

If they want to “set themselves apart” then they have to do better than reskinning the same old survival game mechanics to try and fool the clueless into thinking they’re getting something new.

But hey, Vikings. Make sure you capitalize on that before the trend fades.
    Agent_Josephborghive49Panther2103WaanAlomarNildenMrMelGibson

• Tyr216Tyr216 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I've got Viking blood coursing through my veins so this game really appeals to me aesthetically. I've not had much success getting into sandboxes though, but I will be keeping my eye on this game's development because the setting calls to me.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Nyctelios said:
    They took my key back. Nothing on this site said the giveaway done before would be temporary access.

I wonder if it has anything to do with me saying the game is garbage.
    If it was like mine it was just a temp test key...not the key to the game for the future.

I like the quests but I think I am just survival gamed out.  I'll keep an eye on it and see if once more features are added if my interest returns.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Lost me at "multiplayer online sandbox survival roleplaying game "
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

The sandbox survival genre may go down in history as the first genre to clone itself into mediocrity faster than theme park MMOs.

If they want to “set themselves apart” then they have to do better than reskinning the same old survival game mechanics to try and fool the clueless into thinking they’re getting something new.

Are you saying this is different from how mmorpg's all tried to cast their games in the style of World of warcraft once it was established that was the heavy money maker?

Because I don't see it as being any different.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I like the concept of a "multiplayer online sandbox survival roleplaying game," but when I tried it, I didn't run into any other players (which also killed the roleplaying aspect), it didn't seem all that sandbox-y (these games all say you get that experience at a certain level), and I could never survive very long -- just as it was starting to get sort of interesting, the wolves would start coming out of nowhere and killing me very rapidly. Are these wolves part of the island's curse? I don't mind a challenge, but not ridiculous unreal ones.

I did CHAT with a few other players (also unreal, but better than being totally alone) and apparently it's not that hard for others, so maybe I just didn't know the trick for dealing with the wolves. OH, I did find out that, while I couldn't kill them or chase them off with a stone knife or axe AND a wooden shield, I could OUTRUN them! Huh? You ever try to outrun a good-sized dog? OH, but try to run after a goat you've already bashed with a stone axe, and the thing leaves you in the dust...
    Sovrath said:

Are you saying this is different from how mmorpg's all tried to cast their games in the style of World of warcraft once it was established that was the heavy money maker?

Because I don't see it as being any different.
    No, I'm saying it's the same, but just took less time to get to the state it's in today compared to WoW and its clones.

edited October 2017
    Tyr216 said:
    I've got Viking blood coursing through my veins so this game really appeals to me aesthetically. I've not had much success getting into sandboxes though, but I will be keeping my eye on this game's development because the setting calls to me.
    I'm sure you have a lot of blood coursing through your veins...Viking being only one of them.

Welcome to the mongrel fold comprised of most humans on the planet.

Oh, and BTW. Viking isn't a race. It's an activity.

• xdave78xdave78 Member UncommonPosts: 102

LrdEtrius said:

Eh... I'll pass.

...and nobody cares.
    DavodtheTutt
  • doodeskader123doodeskader123 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2017
    I am playing the game and i really like it. You can fight and make a house for better armor/weapons but thats all for now. It looks better then Arc or Conan Exiles. I play mmo's and im not a fan of survival games but this 1 is not so bad. The viking theme is real and the surroundings looks amazing. The pictures in this review are not very sharp. The game looks much better on my computer .
    MagplarSignex
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 537
    edited October 2017

Tyr216 said:

I'm sure you have a lot of blood coursing through your veins...Viking being only one of them.

Welcome to the mongrel fold comprised of most humans on the planet.

Oh, and BTW. Viking isn't a race. It's an activity.

Viking is an activity? As in, "I think I am gonna go viking (vikinging?) that store on Friday." Maybe you are thinking of hiking, or maybe biking.

Now, according to Merriam-Webster dictionary....

Definition of race

1 :a breeding stock of animals
    2 a :a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock
    b :a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics

Although I don't think he was going for definition 1, I am pretty sure Viking falls within definition 2. So which source should I trust, the Merriam-Webster dictionary (defining words for us stupid folk since 1828), or an internet troll?

Speaking of internet trolls, I have another race you may be familiar with....the Jackasses.
    splattr said:

Viking is an activity? As in, "I think I am gonna go viking (vikinging?) that store on Friday." Maybe you are thinking of hiking, or maybe biking.
    See, you actually got it right. 'víking' is an activity. 'víkingr' is a person who explored, usually by boat with other 'víkingar'. It is also a neutral term that implies no ethnicity. The Norse also used the terms to refer to other groups who did the same from other parts of the world.
    splattr said:

Speaking of internet trolls, I have another race you may be familiar with....the Jackasses.
    Speaking of indignant half-wits who seem to learn their history from Hollywood and Walt Disney, I have another race as well YOU may be familiar with...the fool.
    Signex