Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    SQ 42
    >>> how many people are testing it  >>>

The in house QA at Foundry 42 UK is testing SQ42.

It has been very clearly stated years ago that there will be no mass testing of SQ42 by the backers, as this would reveal the story and mocap scenes much too soon to the public.

Have fun

Excession
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Excession said:
    Where can you download SQ42? how many people are testing it like they are testing SC?

Once again, you are talking about something as though it is in backer's hands, while in reality, it is not.

When was the last time they showed anything from SQ42 at all?

As for the rest of your post, just the usual nonsense from you, acting like I pissed on your cornflakes just because I mention something in a slightly negative fashion.
    Oh, you are really bringing that ridiculous argument?

SC and SQ42 are not 2 games in development because SQ42 is not released/playable?!
    Because they haven't shown stuff from SQ42 for quite a while?!

You know that's a non-argument, the point of fact remains, SQ42 is sold as its own game, standalone from SC, not as its DLC, and also in a package with SC for those who want to.
    Excession
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    MaxBacon said:
    Excession said:
    Where can you download SQ42? how many people are testing it like they are testing SC?

Once again, you are talking about something as though it is in backer's hands, while in reality, it is not.

When was the last time they showed anything from SQ42 at all?

As for the rest of your post, just the usual nonsense from you, acting like I pissed on your cornflakes just because I mention something in a slightly negative fashion.

SC and SQ42 are not 2 games in development because SQ42 is not released/playable?!
    Because they haven't shown stuff from SQ42 for quite a while?!

No, I did not say that at all, you just pulled that out of thin air.

I asked you to show two games, because you were talking as though both are in backer's hands, and they are not.
    MaxBacon

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

Excession said:

I asked you to show two games, because you were talking as though both are in backer's hands, and they are not.
    No, it's just you gasping for straws to use against me.

Quoting: "One (properly 2 games btw) that doesn't compare to the others in scale and scope of what they are doing..."

One, Star Citizen, properly 2 because of SQ42 being its own game, that "they are doing"; so save me your speeches that I am implying both games are in the "backer's hands". --'
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LMAO SQ 42 is only a second game now because of all the issues they have had with this whole fiasco. That was another bait and switch. SQ 42 was originally supposed to be the 'training' mod for Sc dogfighting or something like that, hard to remember what the spin was now. But now its being sold as a stand alone game that is totally separate from SC and you dont need both to play either.

It is also maybe the most expensive portion of the whole thing (10K coffee pots and 15K murals aside) because this is the portion of the game that had all those celebrities voice acting it. 

Its been delayed about a dozen times and in 2 more months will have to be delayed again since it still shows 2017 as the release date. Also always convenient when people ask about it the defenders cite 'they cant let backers test it because it would ruin the story'. At this point I dont think anyone really cares and 12 hours after (if) release everyone will know the story anyway.

You would thing however, that is they had these people aboard and these people put their name to it there might be a little more urgency in trying to get it out. But I imagine if you asked any of the celebs involved about it they probably wouldnt have a clue what you were talking about because as long as the check clears they dont care.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Erillion said:
    "No one really cares about it except the  "...

....1,884,908 registered "Star Citizens"  (as of today) our dear @rodarin ; seems to forget.

Have fun
    1,884,907 of them might care. The last one do not. Take my word for it.
    Pingu2012
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Those are good posts, Max, keep it up!
    ExcessionPingu2012
  • GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    Max Bacon clearly gave you a link to both games. He never said SQ42 was playable. I dont even understand why you would need to test or play it early. You are playing SC on the same damn engine that SQ42 will be released on, with many of the same mechanics and art. You are just trying to re-frame his point and normalize it by claiming he said both games are fully done and in our hands/playable. Give it a fuckin rest. I like how you think since you complimented the game you can take other peoples arguments out of context reword and define them, and claim its what they meant. "I SAID IT HAS GOOD GRAPHICS, AND U CALL ME HATEFULLY BLIND" Hes calling you hatefully blind because you are grasping at straws to have any argument possible. 
    ExcessionPingu2012Odeezee
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    rodarin said:
    Excession said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Excession said:

No, it's just you gasping for straws to use against me.

Quoting: "One (properly 2 games btw) that doesn't compare to the others in scale and scope of what they are doing..."

One, Star Citizen, properly 2 because of SQ42 being its own game, that "they are doing"; so save me your speeches that I am implying both games are in the "backer's hands". --'
    Here you go again, playing the victim.

Max, you do it to yourself.

I am not the only one who pulls you up about the way you talk about anything related to SC.
    You talk about a feature as though it is complete, in backers hands, fully playable, all the time, when in most case's, it is not.

Poster's like me, who are interested in SC, but sceptical about the whole project, point that out, and you have a hissy fit.

Like this back and forth now, I say the game looks good, and the detail is awesome, but all those polygons might cause issue's with optimisation, and you claim I am "hatefully blind" towards SC.

Honestly, I think you have issue's.
    these guys are paid to keep it going. Seriously other than Reddit this site is the only place where anyone even talks about SC. (cue erillion and a youtube link)
    Cue Erillion and the remark that the international gaming press (paper and online) have published reports about the ongoing development of SC on a regular basis. Which can easily be verified using Google. 

So if you think that Reddit and this site are the only places where people talk about SC you are ..... sadly mistaken.

Have fun
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:
    Excession said:
    Ok, so you cannot show us two games, that is all you had to say.

As for me being hatefully blind, wtf is that? I said it look's good, I said the level of detail is awesome.
    Pointing out that having such a high polycount (which is the only real difference between SC and other games that are in the same genre) could cause issue's with optimisation is not being hatefully blind.

If anyone is being anything, you are being willfully ignorant with regards to SC and any issue's it has or may have.
    One game: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42 (sold standalone, not as DLC)

Star Citizen: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/fly-now

What SC is in its whole pitch, does not exist in the MMO genre, similar games appeared, just like Freelancer had this ideology, the support SC itself gets is because just that, because people want to play something that SC is creating that currently does not exist as a game experience somewhere else, partially released and continues being developed towards its pitch. SC has indeed a scale and scope that wasn't attempted before, and you come with some wtf comment about the graphics?! lol
    If we take the PU, and let it start in an idris in the start zone of SQ42, now we drop the max playercount to 1 - Now we put in some storylines (storylines though exist in SC as well) and some interactive live scenes and maybe some cinematic cut scenes (don't know if there are planned any for SC) - then the the only difference to SC are the cut scenes.
    They will use their behaviour trees and all the other stuff the only difference is you are playing alone and you have a main storyline. Hell they already implemented a switch to "offline" in the client, ever wondered for what it can be used?

They only market it as stand alone game for those who want to play the story arc without the MMO part.
    All underlying systems are the same and to apply occams razor ... for what reason do you want to create a whole new game for your game that is right in front of you -- adjust, write storyline, create cutscenes and done.

If Star Citizen has game loops and is playable to modern standards then the single player campaign is just a lite version of it.
    MaxBacon

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited October 2017
    If we take the PU, and let it start in an idris in the start zone of SQ42, now we drop the max playercount to 1 - Now we put in some storylines (storylines though exist in SC as well) and some interactive live scenes and maybe some cinematic cut scenes (don't know if there are planned any for SC) - then the the only difference to SC are the cut scenes.
    They will use their behaviour trees and all the other stuff the only difference is you are playing alone and you have a main storyline. Hell they already implemented a switch to "offline" in the client, ever wondered for what it can be used?

They only market it as stand alone game for those who want to play the story arc without the MMO part.
    All underlying systems are the same and to apply occams razor ... for what reason do you want to create a whole new game for your game that is right in front of you -- adjust, write storyline, create cutscenes and done.

If Star Citizen has game loops and is playable to modern standards then the single player campaign is just a lite version of it.
    That doesn't change the point.

If SQ42 is a game that stands dozens of chapters in at least a +15h (they claim far more) of gameplay, it already stands by the norm of an AAA SP campaign game by itself.

You see that several things that SC makes use of, were created for SQ42, its heavy need on cinematics, animations/rigs, mocap and AI are things fundamental to a game like that, but it benefits SC by having this shared codebase.
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:

If SQ42 is a game that stands dozens of chapters in at least a +15h (they claim far more) of gameplay, it already stands by the norm of an AAA SP campaign game by itself.

You see that several things that SC makes use of, were created for SQ42, its heavy need on cinematics, animations/rigs, mocap and AI are things fundamental to a game like that, but it benefits SC by having this shared codebase.
    oh I didn't know that animations/rigs, mocap and AI were not planned for SC.
    MaxBacon

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:

Key word is claim. 

not like CIG have claimed multiple things that were then scaled back or just dropped altogether. 

How can a game that doesn't exist and we know very little about already stand by the norm of a AAA sp campaign? This is a case of CIG giving you little tidbits and then letting your imagination fill in the rest and hyping yourself up.

Claim it's a AAA sp campaign when you can actually play it and rate what you can see and do instead of listening to what they tell you it's goin to be
    MaxBaconPingu2012Odeezee
    edited October 2017
    Turrican187 said:
    Without SQ42 I don't think they would have built and bought equipment for their mocap studios to that scale, and even opened one actual office (in the UK) dedicated to mocap and animation.

I think you get my point just from that example alone, is not that SC won't need animations or mocap without SQ42, it's just different tier of requirements in certain aspects.

But nonetheless, 2 games, sharing codebase brings a lot of benefits but doesn't save them from having to split resources between both as necessary.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited October 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Turrican187 said:
    Without SQ42 I don't think they would have built and bought equipment for their mocap studios to that scale, and even opened one actual office (in the UK) dedicated to mocap and animation.

I think you get my point just from that example alone, is not that SC won't need animations or mocap without SQ42, it's just different tier of requirements in certain aspects.

Now we see a lot more of SC development, but before, nothing happened in SC if the thing wasn't needed for SQ42.
    Just say this reply lol
    edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    Key word is claim. 

not like CIG have claimed multiple things that were then scaled back or just dropped altogether. 

How can a game that doesn't exist and we know very little about already stand by the norm of a AAA sp campaign? This is a case of CIG giving you little tidbits and then letting your imagination fill in the rest and hyping yourself up.

Claim it's a AAA sp campaign when you can actually play it and rate what you can see and do instead of listening to what they tell you it's goin to be
    The claim is the claim.

So that's their claim, and saying AAA SP Campaign is not that of a big deal, we just look at what the norm is, and the norm is usually the cinematic-like linear games with a few dozen missions that prove usually up to 20h of gameplay. (and that's not even what AAA stands for btw, mostly budget and promotion related)
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:

Key word is claim. 

What, don't you see SC and SQ42 topping the charts everywhere. Like every streamer is going nuts playing it, its topping the viewing charts everywhere......rolls eyes.

The only thing they managed to get working with no flaws was the cash shop.

But what defines the AAA SP Campaign is really the graphical level...polygon count...like what was said earlier...interesting.

We know SC fans like to state their opinions as fact, can you also point me to where this definition according to your exists?

Voice acting....TSWL and SWTOR got that covered.

Quality of cinematics, Square Enix has that covered.

Shared assets, many companies with multiple games share assets.

At the end of the day SQ42 and SC do not exist as promised and anyone who says there aren't issues is blowing smoke up your ass.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Finally !!!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

What, don't you see SC and SQ42 topping the charts everywhere. Like every streamer is going nuts playing it, its topping the viewing charts everywhere......rolls eyes.

You seem to be kinda oblivious what classifies as AAA. They can either be the GOTY best game EVAH or the worse game ever everyone hates, it's really mostly about budget and promotion.

But there is a resembling quality tier in AAA SP Campaigns, the higher quality of graphical polish, also on animations, on voice-acting, and on cinematics.
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    MaxBacon said:
    Excession said:
    Two games? Show us the second game Max.

Scale and scope? only thing they are doing with SC that has not been done before is the ridiculously high polycount for an MMO-type game.

Sure, it look's good, detail is awesome, but all those extra polygons might come back to bite them in the ass when its optimisation time.
    Star Citizen and SQ42 are two games, that are sold in separate. The scope of both SC and SQ42 individually justify that, one MMO in on side, one SP campaign in the other.

As for your last statement, it just shows how hatefully blind you are on the SC topic, that you desperately have to downplay and spin anything negatively while playing a self-righteous narrative, waste of my time talking to a wall of bias.

Like EQNext and their other game...
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited October 2017

What does anything you just said have to do with AAA game? By your logic any indie game that has done well is now a AAA tile :/

I think there is a quite a few major differences between them, other than they were making two games. Not the best comparison tbh
    MaxBacon
    Well, they would still be their own games if they did get to happen.

It's the type of games, also when you have a company with an in-house engine you are going to share the codebase between ongoing projects, especially if you work at one-time on 2 games part of the same IP.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited October 2017
    Herase said:

What does anything you just said have to do with AAA game? By your logic any indie game that has done well is now a AAA tile :/

I think there is a quite a few major differences between them, other than they were making two games. Not the best comparison tbh
    This is to be the game of all games according to you all. How is it the game of all games isn't topping any chart anywhere?

For a game that supposedly could be made for a fraction of what they have taken in where is it?

For a game that has all the best people around the world working on it where is it?

Only thing I now for sure is there will be more broken promises and delays. And lets not forget the hype videos, but no game or games period.

Funny, didn't CR get up on stage and rail against triple A dev houses. Weren't they the indie guy to take them out. And here we have CR fanatics saying its a triple A game, and failing worse than the triple A devs you all railed against.....lols
    MaxBacon
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Key word is claim. 

The claim is the claim.

So that's their claim, and saying AAA SP Campaign is not that of a big deal, we just look at what the norm is, and the norm is usually the cinematic-like linear games with a few dozen missions that prove usually up to 20h of gameplay. (and that's not even what AAA stands for btw, mostly budget and promotion related)
    The claim is the claim....are you just saying things now just for the fun of it?

If you want to claim AAA then claim it for what the industry defines it as. Saying the norm is cinematic like linear game with a few dozen missions that prove usually up to 20h of gameplay (this was 15+ in your last post, will it be 25 in your next lol) and then saying this is what SQ42 will be is laughable.

You know very little of what SQ42 will actually be besides what CR uses to hype you with. Again CIG has walked back promises or scaled back things after promising the moon and hyping it as much so until we see what SQ42 is capable of when it's done and in backers hands then please stop regurgitating what CIG and CR put out as promo material.
    MaxBacon
    edited October 2017
    Kefo said:
    The claim is the claim....are you just saying things now just for the fun of it?

If you want to claim AAA then claim it for what the industry defines it as. Saying the norm is cinematic like linear game with a few dozen missions that prove usually up to 20h of gameplay (this was 15+ in your last post, will it be 25 in your next lol) and then saying this is what SQ42 will be is laughable.

You know very little of what SQ42 will actually be besides what CR uses to hype you with. Again CIG has walked back promises or scaled back things after promising the moon and hyping it as much so until we see what SQ42 is capable of when it's done and in backers hands then please stop regurgitating what CIG and CR put out as promo material.
    You don't need to know much of SQ42 at all, or even play it.

What makes an AAA game in development is pretty much budget and promotion, budget we all know they have, they also have a strong marketing on it, especially with its cast. That is what defines it to the base of the term, so it can be branded as such if one wants.

What I mentioned is more specifically (yet not requirements for that term), what we usually see from an AAA SP Campaign game, that's all.