Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best Story-Driven MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Are you allowing player made stories to be considered?

If so, Eve #1.

If not, FF14 followed closely by SWTOR, GW1, LOTRO.
    [Deleted User]NyghthowlerConstantineMerusNephethPhloom[Deleted User]

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

... GW2 as number 1? really? ... i mean i remember some questing, mostly the GvG ( or WvW or whatever) map.... really? there was a story?!

Have you even played Guild Wars 2? There's this little thing called "Living Story" they've done for years now... might want to pay attention before you decide to make such ignorant comments.
    Kiori001NephethPhloomFyendiar
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Palawa Joko approves of the list.
    sumdumguy1Nepheth

..Cake..

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited October 2017
    I remember when SWG tried to do what GW2 does with something they called "Story arches" and failed. They then tried to just let players tell the story with "storyteller" mode and failed. Anet has surprisingly been able to keep up with this living story thing.

While I think SWTOR has very solid story lines that in the beginning were well written, followed by ESO, I think what pushes GW2 over the top is the persistence of this story telling since launch.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    sumdumguy1Nephethtirwenslytha11Thupli
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

SlyLoK said:

A joke list.

Never played FF but I have played GW2 and it isn't remotely close to ESO or SWToR. GW2 isn't even top 5.

Got paid? Kickbacks? Doesn't smell good whatever it is.

If the staff got 1/2 the kickbacks people say they do I suspect they would struggle daily whether to drive the Ferrari or Lamborghini today, and whether tomorrows column should be written in Chalet in the Alps or the beaches of Fiji.

Yet I'm fairly certain this isn't their lifestyle (probably struggling along with just a Ferrari.)

:)
    xyzercrimeAzaron_NightbladeConstantineMerusNephethMrMelGibsonPhloomThupliGorweIRandom

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    What was the topic again?  Oh yeah,  time for me to post my obligatory raining down on the parade.

"I don't play MMORPGs for the story, it should be the players who create it blah de blah blah.

Hey, its a Tuesday, feeling lazy.

B)
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]deniterpantaro

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2017
    GW2? Really?
    GW2's personal story was pretty bad. LS wasn't much better, if only by a little.
    Agent_JosephPhloomkallens
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

Kyleran said:

What was the topic again?  Oh yeah,  time for me to post my obligatory raining down on the parade.

"I don't play MMORPGs for the story, it should be the players who create it blah de blah blah.

Hey, its a Tuesday, feeling lazy.

B)

Then every day always feel like Tuesday for me..
    KyleranPhloom

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    it is joke !
    from list ,only TSW & SW TOR are story driven mmo's
    Wylf
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

SBFord said:

@BillMurphy is wrong. :P SWTOR is the #1 story-driven game on MY list followed by LOTRO, ESO, GW2.

Your list is similar to mine. I would just replace ESO with Secret World. Currently playing and enjoying GW2 but SWtOR easily beats it in the story department. I think when it comes to potential Secret World blows them all out of the water, but Star Wars the Old Republic delivered a better story experience.
    Azaron_NightbladePhloom
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    My Favorites are:
    1. Lord Of The Rings Online
    2. Elders Scrolls Online
    3. FFXIV
    [Deleted User]Phloommelyne28

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Have to remember people, that list is based on ONE Opinion. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    SWL has a wonderful story that is well presented, but it doesn't drive the game for me. It is just something to experience along the way. Although I enjoy the story greatly, I also have no control over it. I find it more difficult to invest myself in a story simply presented to me than one I have some kind of control over. That is what drew me to pnp role-playing, which led to my interest in MMORPGs.

As such, it comes as no surprise to me that some may prefer games that offer some choice in story, no matter how slight, rather than a game with an immutable one, regardless of how well it is presented. Which belongs where on the list depends on the kind of story and method of delivery a person favours.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    SWL has a wonderful story that is well presented, but it doesn't drive the game for me. It is just something to experience along the way. Although I enjoy the story greatly, I also have no control over it. I find it more difficult to invest myself in a story simply presented to me than one I have some kind of control over. That is what drew me to pnp role-playing, which led to my interest in MMORPGs.

As such, it comes as no surprise to me that some may prefer games that offer some choice in story, no matter how slight, rather than a game with an immutable one, regardless of how well it is presented. Which belongs where on the list depends on the kind of story and method of delivery a person favours.
    Yeah, SWL loses points for being the most linear of them all.
    Phloom

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Age of Conan was wayy better than gw2!!
    AeanderCelciusNephethstarros
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited October 2017
    If you liked the SWTOR story, you clearly didn't play a Bounty Hunter. The story they had was an utter mess. It started okay, but then at about the middle it starts going in 80 different directions and is an incomprehensible mess. From what I have heard this is similar to most classes, because they changed writers too much in development for each one.
    Gorwe
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542

In my eyes GW2 earns the place because of how it's driven the entire game since launch with story, world changing events, and more. It hasn't always been the BEST story, but how it's done in the game is nothing short of phenomenal.

When I first looked at this article and saw the thumbnail art I knew GW2 would be involved some how, but I was completely taken by surprise that it would be number 1 on this list. And then, I saw what you wrote here and things started to make a lot of sense.

I think most people here fail to see the underlining point here as to what you said here in this quote and also what GW2 actually does as a whole with there direction. GW2 since GW1 has been driven by LORE. Almost everything in GW2 has some kind of purpose going back towards some kind of story. Even things we don't even think about, has a story to it.

For example, the mystic forge. For most people it just looks like another crafting station where players just add random items into it and get a result. Its even been nick named "The mystic toilet." But it in the lore, theres a spirit trapped in side of it. A "Dijnn" named Zommoros who comes from Elona. Hes been around since before humans and usually only speaks to Miyani, and npc who tends to him. She sells stuff to players related to forge and even talks about Zommoros.

WvW and spvp even have their own stories but spvp more so. WvW is located in the mists, another reality where multiple multiverses battle each other for resources and favor of the gods. Spvp are just reenactments of old battles fought long ago. The Ghostly heros dating back to gw1 allow mortals to fight each other for their entertainment. Where we go and what we fight and experience for the most part has lore. It drives the games development from beginning to end.

Is this told clearly in the actual story mode of GW2? Kinda, some parts but most of it you'll have to go searching for. Which right off the bat if you looked at it from that point of view you would write it off. But its defiantly there if you go looking for it.
    slytha11

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think this is a decent list. I think I would personally put ESO as #1 and Secret world as #2, just because ESO got me sucked into the story, and Secret World had the most interesting story in my opinion. But that's all this is. Just opinion. I don't see why people always get super upset about other peoples opinions being different.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Everquest has a great story. The difference is that it is not set out in any connect the dots way. You have to poke around all over the place to put it together.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Voidfarer said:
    Age of Conan was wayy better than gw2!!
    Next you'll be telling us that League of Angels is better than World of Warcraft.
    NephethKyleranpantaro[Deleted User]DavodtheTuttkallens
  • etharnetharn Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Mine is LOTRO is first then SWTOR lol.

A man who fears nothing is a man who loves nothing; and if you love nothing, what joy is there in your life?

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I've never followed a story in any game i've ever played. I tried, but I just cannot get into it. I don't feel like reading a ton and I just want to get on with progressing.

Perhaps, I'm missing something, ill try next game I play to see if I can get engrossed in the story.

Either way, books > MMO's for stories.

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited October 2017
    1-7 are all story driven MMO's with a decently big focus on the story and a decent story, so I think we can debate the order, but I'm ok with them being on there.

It's the rest I have issue with. RIFT's story isn't anything special so I'm not sure it even belongs there as number 10. Even Vindictus has a more interesting story than RIFT lol. The Matrix Online I've never even heard of, and CoH I know nothing about. Although my bias against super hero games in general is pretty huge, so I'd be ok if the genre didn't even exist. In fact I'm so confused at how anyone has any attraction to super hero games it kind of makes me irrationally annoyed at the idea of them.

WoW I would put in the top 5. ESO and GW2 are good but I'm not sure GW2 makes number 1. FFXIV definitely not number 2. The story is boring, presented completely terribly in a way that makes it a boring slog, where better presentation could make the story seem pretty decent. Sure story is a focus, but that's it. I'd put it in the 5-10 range.

SWTOR and SW:L definitely well done so they're in a good place I think.

Number 1 would have to be something that not only has good presentation and a central focus on story, but also one that is so gripping I have a hard time putting it down. Unfortunately I can't think of an MMO that's had such an amazing story that I just have to know what's next.
    TheScavengerOctagon7711
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Celcius said:
    If you liked the SWTOR story, you clearly didn't play a Bounty Hunter. The story they had was an utter mess. It started okay, but then at about the middle it starts going in 80 different directions and is an incomprehensible mess. From what I have heard this is similar to most classes, because they changed writers too much in development for each one.
    The BH storyline was just fine. In Chapter 1, you're a young upstart. Chapter 2, you've become famous and are going after high profile marks. Chapter 3, your fame got you the attention of the Empire, and with it the typical Sith politics.

Each class story (Chapter 1-3) was written by the same writer. There was no changing writers there. They only began doing that in Chapter 4 and beyond, at which point the class stories were done for good, and the game lost a lot of its appeal and replayability.
    [Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    This guy has some good thoughts and a vid on the same subject ..

Octagon7711