Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turn-based fantasy strategy games?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey folks,

Are there any current, fun, fantasy-based strategy games that you enjoy playing?  Or any fantasy RTS that aren't terribly difficult but are still fun?  I've tried RTS in the past, but I'm slowwww and I always get overwhelmed by the enemy forces.

Thanks!

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    GO to STeam filter your search , litterally dozens to choose from , Or if more specific , go to Steam search Baldurs GAte for ex.. then click on More Like This ...

im currently trying to finish Avadon 2 , before 3 gets out :)
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    The Disgaea series of fantasy turn-based tactical games for various playstation versions has been popular for years.  Massive Chalice, available on Steam, is a fantasy turn-based tactical clone of the sci-fi XCOM series.  If you were looking for a non-tactical strategy game, though, I'm not sure what has come out recently.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Im never quite sure what "strategy" games mean.....Often they are city building or resource management games and other times its means more like tactical combat like Atlantica online or something like that.
    madazz
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    Define current.

Age of Wonders 3 is amazing game.

Some older Might & Magic Heroes games are really good, but the latest ones aren't really that good they're plagued by Ubisoft.

King's Bounty games are really good.

If you can handle some real-time combat, and possess an endless purse to pay for expensive DLCs, then Total War: Warhammer is the best fantasy strategy game around.
    Post edited by Vrika on

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I am one of those freaks that loves the new King's bounty. It is the closest I get to having that obsessive feeling in games. The entire game franchise is about conservation and perfect tactical moves.

Crossroads or Warriors of the North. Both are good.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    If you like Warhammer then I recommend Mordeheim: City of the Damned . Probably one of the best turn based fantasy strategy games.  It's a bit on the hardcore side in that the soldiers you have spent time and money building up and gearing can be permanently killed or permanently maimed such as losing an arm, eye, or leg.  But that to me makes the fights that much more thrilling and gives a greater sense of risk vs. reward that you see thrown around so much on these forums.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I second Age of Wonder 3 . It's a great game turn based over world map and turn based battles 
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Im playing Duelyst atm, its a card game but with tactical elements, its quite fun if you dont mind pixel graphics.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291410/

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Xcom-Enemy Unknown is a great choice, as well as Age of Wonders 3, Wasteland 2, Divinity original sin, Valkyria Chronicles, Men of war titles, etc... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited September 2016
    Sorcerer King..........http://store.steampowered.com/app/241990/

Sovereignty :Crown of Kings..........http://store.steampowered.com/app/312430/

Thea the Awakening........http://store.steampowered.com/app/378720/

The Storm Guard :Darkness is Coming .........http://store.steampowered.com/app/409910/

Massive Chalice........http://store.steampowered.com/app/246110/

And if you like CCG games Hex is an excellent TBS, story driven MMO all wrapped up in one.......http://www.hextcg.com/

DArkest Dungeon .... my vote for Indie of the year and in my top 10 all time TBS fantasy .......http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/

These are some the newest and best fantasy TBS i have played in years .. Great year for the genre with some fresh ideas........

enjoy

Post edited by Scorchien on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A recent find "i'm a little slow" justified that i for years had more than enough good gaming and no time for other games.
    A small developer using the free rpg maker did a wonderful job making some old school rpg's that have quite recognizable mechanics/gameplay to any FF players.

Skyborn...Deadly Sin....Deadly Sin2...Echoes of Aetheria
    Bundle is available on Steam or individually http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/647/

If you google around should be able to find some free trials of one or more these games.Only suggestion is to play them on most difficult settings.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

BTW i love the Sorcerer King game but had nothing but problems with the game crashing and seems no fixes after all these years.So i gave up because putting in tons  of hours only to see a crash is frustrating as heck.I just found it a little too predictable as well,played it several times with different leaders but always played pretty much identical each time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    BTW i love the Sorcerer King game but had nothing but problems with the game crashing and seems no fixes after all these years.So i gave up because putting in tons  of hours only to see a crash is frustrating as heck.I just found it a little too predictable as well,played it several times with different leaders but always played pretty much identical each time.
    Strange , when was the last time you have tried it , personally never had any crashes ..

FYI new expansion releasing this month  for Sorcerer King ...http://steamcommunity.com/games/241990/announcements/detail/978791489289271435

• MagicRainbowMagicRainbow Member CommonPosts: 1
    Have you tried Little Lord of Twilight? Really addictive for me! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw03qeHQnxw
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited October 2017
    Fallen Enchantress legendary heroes is a amazing game http://store.steampowered.com/app/228260/Fallen_Enchantress_Legendary_Heroes/

Someone else mentioned sorcerer king which is the successor to Fallen enchantress but its one of those turn based games where you are trying to beat the clock before the world ends not a very relaxing turn based experience in my opinion 

If you are looking for a more laid back progress at your own pace turn based game go with the first one
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2017
    Divinity: OS2 is currently the bar imo for turn-based party RPGs.

Beyond that, Xcom if you like the hardcore and missing an alien standing 2 feet away with a shotgun.

Wasteland 2 for the post-apoc, Fallout style appeal.

Divinity is the bar standard?
    This is possibly true,i cannot deny it since i have not played Divinity but imo FF3 is the masterpiece for it's time and what FFXI was designed after.Then the FFX was simply amazing,both story and game play.Many will argue FFVII is the legendary  turn based rpg of all time.

However i will take notice of this mention "Divinity" and i will at least do some research on it ,to see if i want to play it.

As to the "fallen enchantress"i notice it is another Stardock game. I was initially awed at Sorcery King,i still say it is a good game not great but quite good.Thing is ,i personally feel their games look and play identical,like they are rehashing the exact same game ,insert different characters.Point being i am on the fence,a little iffy on buying it since it does look exactly like Sorcery King,one is enough for me.

Wizardry said:
    Divinity is the bar standard?
    This is possibly true,i cannot deny it since i have not played Divinity but imo FF3 is the masterpiece for it's time and what FFXI was designed after.Then the FFX was simply amazing,both story and game play.Many will argue FFVII is the legendary  turn based rpg of all time.

However i will take notice of this mention "Divinity" and i will at least do some research on it ,to see if i want to play it.

As to the "fallen enchantress"i notice it is another Stardock game. I was initially awed at Sorcery King,i still say it is a good game not great but quite good.Thing is ,i personally feel their games look and play identical,like they are rehashing the exact same game ,insert different characters.Point being i am on the fence,a little iffy on buying it since it does look exactly like Sorcery King,one is enough for me.
    The second title, mind you.  The first was objectively good, but I felt it had some pretty sore spots too.  The story erred too much on the silly side for me.  The 2nd fixed that, and implemented a system against the immediate and widespread usage of status effects.

It was a great improvement over the first.  The kind of sequel that you really hope all sequels are.

I guess I should add it's the bar for modern party turn-based RPGs.  Implying of all time is pretty strong.

Ok so a very quick look on Steam...

Seems i looked at Divinity prior,the turn off was a 2014 game still with locked camera,that is a big letdown for me.
    However,it does look solid and the editor is a huge plus for me,brings back days of UnrealTournament and Epic games giving us the free toolset.

So my verdict??I am going to buy Divinity Original Sin,too bad the camera seems to be my only issue otherwise i would say definitely worth a go to anyone.I hope it has some open ended game play and not totally on rails/linear,i will see and hope for the best.
    MadFrenchie

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Wakfu is a great tactics game that's also online. 

The big rub with it is that the game has cerpt more and more towards soloing by giving you npcs you can control/gear/etc.  

It's worth a look if you like games like Disgaea and FFT though.
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    edited October 2017
    This thread is a bit of a necro but the camera in divinity original sin can be unlocked and rotated but I believe it was an experimental feature.  I played with unlocked camera without issue.  The highlight of both of the games for me is non linear gameplay and skills, that provide alot of room to experiment.

The best of genre imo is baldur's gate 2.  I would say dos2 is comparable.  I found the world and story of bg2 to be superior but the skill system and non linear gameplay of dos2 to be better.
    mystik13 said:
    This thread is a bit of a necro but the camera in divinity original sin can be unlocked and rotated but I believe it was an experimental feature.  I played with unlocked camera without issue.  The highlight of both of the games for me is non linear gameplay and skills, that provide alot of room to experiment.
    Good catch on the necro, I didn't notice until you mentioned it just now.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    You should also look into Total War: Warhammer. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung