Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best PVP MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ice-Queen said:
    Iselin said:
    100% correct.

That real sense of community we had that would make us want to drop whatever we were doing to answer the call when the realm was in need is what I miss most in MMOs these days. The DAoC core servers (I played on Guin) didn't really have PVE players and PVP players. We all did both.

The way content is presented in MMOs these days feels like you're supposed to pick mutually exclusive types of content. You're a "PVPer" or "PVEr" or a "soloer" or a "raider." And the different types seem to go out of the way to dis and blame the others for whatever they feel is wrong with their preferred type of content.

DAoC was a whole game and we played it that way. Maybe a part of it was the times and those of us who played it. But I think it was also built with the thought that it should all tie-in together: Realm-wide PVE buffs based on PVP outcomes; entry into a prime PVE dungeon (Darkness Falls) also based on PVP outcomes and then the need to clean out the previous owners so we could PVE in relative peace.

I had hopes that ESO would also work that way but the 2015 player base did not want to have entry into its version of Darkness Falls (the Imperial City) restricted in any way. So it's open all the time to all 3 alliances. There were polls and the player opinion overwhelmingly wanted it that way. The typical opinion seemed to be "I paid for it so I want to go into it any time I please." Such a waste of a perfect opportunity to create a strong RVR/PVE connection.

Times have changed I guess.
    I was on Guinevere too <waves>. Guinevere was such a great community of people on all sides. We all worked together and had so many years of fun in those early years. Loved, loved, loved Dark Age of Camelot. Three cheers to Mark Jacobs and his team that created it. Those were some of the most epic battles I've had in pvp and I really hope Camelot Unchained will be my next loved RvR game for a long time.
    My Pally was Guinevere.  <3
    IselinIce-Queen

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    you cant take this list seriously when the guy takes GW2-fashion wars shit, instead GW1- the true and only PvP MMO made by the original devs.
    Cecropia
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    This list really should be DAOC #1, and all the rest do we even really care about? If you would have told me 15 years ago when DAOC introduced a ground breaking way to competitively fight other players in a MMORPG that was basically self balancing (RVR, 3realms), have a PvE element so the wives could still play and contribute... 15 years and not 1 single game even try to implement the same formula I would have said that you were insane.

To this date, nothing has come close to what DAOC gave the community and that's pretty shocking... and tragic. I keep seeing the same MMORPG being developed over and over again and for some reason developers aren't even trying to capture what DAOC did.. I don't get it.

Even Camelot Unchained which could be considered DAOC 2 is ignoring the strong PvE aspect to all of this which whether you liked it or not, made DAOC that much stronger.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    well obviously who ever made this list never played AC Darktide.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ice-Queen said:
    Iselin said:
    100% correct.

That real sense of community we had that would make us want to drop whatever we were doing to answer the call when the realm was in need is what I miss most in MMOs these days. The DAoC core servers (I played on Guin) didn't really have PVE players and PVP players. We all did both.

The way content is presented in MMOs these days feels like you're supposed to pick mutually exclusive types of content. You're a "PVPer" or "PVEr" or a "soloer" or a "raider." And the different types seem to go out of the way to dis and blame the others for whatever they feel is wrong with their preferred type of content.

DAoC was a whole game and we played it that way. Maybe a part of it was the times and those of us who played it. But I think it was also built with the thought that it should all tie-in together: Realm-wide PVE buffs based on PVP outcomes; entry into a prime PVE dungeon (Darkness Falls) also based on PVP outcomes and then the need to clean out the previous owners so we could PVE in relative peace.

I had hopes that ESO would also work that way but the 2015 player base did not want to have entry into its version of Darkness Falls (the Imperial City) restricted in any way. So it's open all the time to all 3 alliances. There were polls and the player opinion overwhelmingly wanted it that way. The typical opinion seemed to be "I paid for it so I want to go into it any time I please." Such a waste of a perfect opportunity to create a strong RVR/PVE connection.

I was on Guinevere too <waves>. Guinevere was such a great community of people on all sides. We all worked together and had so many years of fun in those early years. Loved, loved, loved Dark Age of Camelot. Three cheers to Mark Jacobs and his team that created it. Those were some of the most epic battles I've had in pvp and I really hope Camelot Unchained will be my next loved RvR game for a long time.
    We might have played together then. My Theurgist named... wait for it... Iselin, was in Albion too. As a matter of fact Iselin was a name DAoC auto-generated for me... it stuck :)

MadFrenchieConstantineMerus
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Iselin said:
    Ice-Queen said:
    Iselin said:
    100% correct.

We might have played together then. My Theurgist named... wait for it... Iselin, was in Albion too. As a matter of fact Iselin was a name DAoC auto-generated for me... it stuck :)

Haha I played a Highlander, randomly generated name of Yruddry.  Mind you, I think I was 13 (12?) When I created him, my very first MMORPG toon ever.  So of course, when given the chance, I added the last name of Muddry because kids truly do love rhymes, I guess?  :D

I agree wholeheartedly with how the community played that game as a whole, instead of ignoring certain parts.  I mean, I know some folks who avoided certain parts when possible, sure, but the vast, vast majority seemed to enjoy every disparate part of the game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Good list.  I see a lot of people whining about Linage, the problem is very few played it in the west.  War was a horrible game which pretty much lost most of it's population in the first 6 months.
  • DurandleDurandle Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited September 2017
    DAOC is king for sure. I played it for many years. In it's prime a few buddies and I used to have lan parties in the garage with this game, so many good times. Took a berserker to rank 12, close to 200 days I logged with DAoC since 2002...I still reup my account occasionally when I get an urge although I don't play very much anymore.

I'll throw a little opinion out there though regarding a game that could of came close....If Archeage never went pay to win, and if they had a more balanced equipment endgame that everyone could reasonably obtain, and a slightly different castle/outpost system and a few more places where they could of been built...It would of came pretty close I think. I still am sad about the direction it ended up going.

Oh, and Planetside 1 > Planetside 2   :) by far.
  • spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    GW1 PvP was a whole lot better than GW2.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    daoc, shadowbane, DF, eve, gw2 I had a lot of fun with. Each offering a little different take on it. Daoc and DF probably offering me the most fun though.
  • strongbelwasstrongbelwas Member UncommonPosts: 17
    top personal pvp moment....1st jedi i perm-killed !!
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Dauzqul said:

Nice read.

My favorite PvP was EverQuest 2. When they finally launched the Nagafen server, World PvP was excellent. No battlegrounds, no safety zones, etc. It was amazing. It felt like a real way, e.g., having to watch your back / duck the guards when adventuring in the lands near the opposing faction etc. Sigh. I miss that in games so much.

Ah, Nagafen. Once I when I was level 49 I got caught by a 4x raid of lvl 30 Qeynosians right at their city gates. Spent a good 15 minutes curb stomping (fighting for my life) each one of them one by one. I was about to die when I dinged 50 on a blue con that decided to join the fray. For those familiar with EQ2, you know that dinging 50 comes with a special rippling light effect. I felt like I reached super saiyan fighting 20+ people by myself. At the very least, I was definitely channeling my inner Nagafen.

People rag on these themeparks, but EQ2 was by far the best PVP experience I've ever had. I chased that high for years. Other games had some good moments but I gave up the drug when I stopped playing games 15 hours a day.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Im still mad that Trion/XL ruined ArcheAge, it was such a cool thing at Alpha ^^
    Alomar
  • DarkspireDarkspire Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I am surprised no Warhammer Online and no Anarchy Online. I know Anarchy is old, but its concept of territory battles and level grading world pvp was awesome. Shame the engine couldn't handle it.
    rawfox
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    DAOC WAS the best but certainly not now. ESO pvp was a sad joke because of poor implementation from its very first day(good ideas ,technical implementation was an unmitigated disaster). Today....I think there are no world class pvp games. Lots of promises that are still to see the light of day)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    How can PathfinderOnline be left off this list?

Ozmodan

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited October 2017
    Too vague, mmo pvp is broken up into two over-arching categories these days. Largescale open world pvp and instanced pvp. I prefer the unpredictable, more realistic, and outnumbered open world largescale pvp. 

DAOC, Warhammer Online, SWG, GW2, AC, L2, Eve, UO, GW1, and ESO. In that order imo. ESO had the potential to surpass many of it's predecessors, but the post-launch direction/development did nothing but neglect it's pvp community. So much so that there was so little of it left it was no longer a significant portion of their population worth investing in. 

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Pretty good choices but no one else is going to agree 100% lol

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• CheechGLGCheechGLG Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Gw2 has no balance when it comes to WvW so should be removed from the list
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited October 2017
    No Lineage/Lineage 2 (one of the best open world pvp mmos ever). Guild wars 2 doesn't even have true OWPVP. List is a complete fail.
    "For this list’s sake, we’re focusing on games that made PVP a real priority in their design."

Err why is UO there then?
    HUH?  Original UO was all about pvp, where have you been?
    Kabulozo said:
    No Lineage/Lineage 2 (one of the best open world pvp mmos ever). Guild wars 2 doesn't even have true OWPVP. List is a complete fail.
    Again, I agree, but very few westerners ever played either of the Lineage games, there were better Eastern games at the time.
  • NiburuNiburu Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Darkfall. The best PVP MMORPG ever. *cry* HELP MEE* Luckly fans trying to review it: https://darkfallnewdawn.com/
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited October 2017
    how is planetside 2 in there, but planetside 1 ain't!?

uh and...

Iselin said:
    No Warhammer Online? Strange.
    Because they messed it up when they decided to copy WOW and add 15 minute instanced PVP to it which undermined the RVR when half your force would disappear when the scenario queue popped.

DAoC's 3-sided RvR worked. Warhammer's 2-sided one didn't.

"they" didn't decide it, without calling any names here, "their publisher" decided it :>
    have a guess why MJ left and is now working without publishers up his ars.. on his back 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Surprised that Destiny 1 or 2 didn't make this list.