Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla World of Warcraft, if released today would be #1

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited October 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
What Blizzard did in 2004 is still unmatched today. 

Granted, they weren't original.  They didn't invent the mmorpg, we have first generation to thank for that.  I'm sure the players of Ultima Online, Everquest 1, and Final Fantasy 11 could feel betrayed because of their love.  But come on, lets really think about it, the gates had to be open to a wider audience at some point right ? 

Anyway, back on subject:
I have to talk first about size.  Nothing before or after can match the size.  From Western Plaguelands to Booty Bay and Winterspring to Tanaris, their was a LOT of content.  With knowing this comes my point.

Imagine creating your first character.  First time ever with only the knowledge of this huge world, slow leveling and with three major cities but had never experienced it.  It's still a mystery.  You're a level one ELF Rogue plopped on the island of Teldrassil at a small outpost called Shadowglen.  You're weak in your undergarments with a simple wooden dagger with a weak ability to stealth and nothing else.  You think to yourself, I'm nothing at all but I'll soon make a name for myself......You're nothing but still relaxed about it !  Try this in Rift where scripted cannons are franticly blowing things up.  I guess they feel excitement is required at level one. 

Now with the above you can say this for many games right ?....... Sure you can !....... But after a few hours you still realize it's still a slow relaxing struggle, with a long road ahead.  At level 10 you run out of content, you have no way of knowing what to do next, no one to hold your hand and no scripted path.  You find no other choice but to open your chat box and ask what do I do next ?  

How can you not find this charming and intriguing !!!   

So simple, yet a mystery.  No one told you about Deadmines yet.  What a shock of death and carnage that awaits, but that's too much to handle for now, you have other struggles to handle first.  By now you should be thinking of a Guild with so many unanswered questions.  This brings me to the next point.

It's 2017, were deeper in the internet information age.  Yet, unlike all other games, information doesn't help, you have to experience everything yourself !!  It takes six months to really say..... I understand. 

If Vanilla World of Warcraft were released today as new, it would be a shocking welcome.    
JeffSpicoliSlyLoKAllerleirauhViterzgirGdemamiConvaelSirAgravaineKrvavorukikb4blu

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I disagree.
    gervaise1PhryRich84JeffSpicoliPhaedruslivesEronakisMrMelGibsonAvanahklash2defaleosand 7 others.
  • GaxusnGaxusn Member UncommonPosts: 77
    WoW was great at launch. Open world PvP was some of the most enjoyable times I've had in an MMO... Crossroads... those were the days.

I see a common trend of people wanting MMO's how they used to be. When you get to the finer details; what people want is the difficulty back in the simple things. Deadmines for example was epic, now its a 5 minute rush. People want that epicness back and it only comes through difficulty. 

[Deleted User]MensurSirAgravaine

Playing: Nothing
    Played: EQ1, EQ2, VG:SoH, WoW, AoC, LoTRO, Aion, L2, DF, WAR.
    Favourites: EQ1, VG:SoH, Original WoW.
    Waiting: Pantheon: ROTF

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited October 2017
    I think that compared to Everquest vanilla WoW is pitifully easy however it did well in 2004 because of how it took all the tough parts and made it more palatable and combined all the fun features from the games that came before. It did not however have the sheer variety of spells Everquest did or have the innovative ways people thought of playing 

If you played Everquest or FFXI when it was released you will understand.

OOT I see you have run out of ideas since you are rehashing previous topics.
    MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • Rich84Rich84 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    No it would not.

It was/is a great game but has many flaws and a time commitment/sink/grind that gamers today will not accept.

Majority of classes only have 1 viable spec. PVE Only Warrior can tank. Pally,druid,Priest heal only for the most part.

Most rotations are 1 or 2 buttons. Downranking spells needed to conserve mana.

Having to eat/drink after almost every pull in dungeons/raids and after each mob when leveling.

Average of like 6-8 days /played to level 60.

The mainstream would not play it over current wow. 

Private servers are available if you want ot play Vanilla, TBC,Wotlk, Cata,MOP

XarkoMrMelGibson
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    edited October 2017
    It would have some advantages over other MMORPGs, such as:
    - more content
    - far more twink friendly (six different starting zones on launch!)
    - you could get to the max level multiple times without touching the same zones twice
    - no P2W

Then again, there'd be a lot of reasons why vanilla WoW wouldn't be popular today.
    - outdated graphics
    - it was quite buggy on launch
    - elite mobs roaming the world killing players
    - dungeons could take half a day to complete
    - you had to manually walk to the dungeon and manually find people to join you
    - everybody could pick up any loot, even if it wasn't suited for their class, and there wasn't even an option to roll for loot yet (and no personal loot either of course)
    - no PvP
    - no marker showing where you'd have to walk to for quests (Mankrik's Wife anyone?)
    - some very inconvenient abilities (pets running away because of lack of food, soul shards taking up inventory space, ranged classes running out of ammo, and so on)
    - some entirely pointless talents

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    cheyane said:
    I think that compared to Everquest vanilla WoW is pitifully easy however it did well in 2004 because of how it took all the tough parts and made it more palatable and combined all the fun features from the games that came before. It did not however have the sheer variety of spells Everquest did or have the innovative ways people thought of playing 

If you played Everquest or FFXI when it was released you will understand.

OOT I see you have run out of ideas since you are rehashing previous topics.

Not much else to talk about..... Maybe Asian cash shops like BDO ?
    That's always a good debate !

Just remember, you put that last line in, I guess you couldn't resist !
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    You should try Project 1999 and I can almost guarantee you won't be able to handle it having been coddled by WoW. It will at least open up your eyes to what had come before and perhaps give some pause before you start one of your threads. You really cannot live without getting some affirmations from these forums I see but hey to each its own.
    Chamber of Chains
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    maji said:
    - more content
    - you could get to the max level multiple times without touching the same zones twice
    - no P2W

Then again, there'd be a lot of reasons why vanilla WoW wouldn't be popular today.
    - outdated graphics
    - everybody could pick up any loot, even if it wasn't suited for their class, and there wasn't even an option to roll for loot yet (and no personal loot either of course)
    - no PvP
    - no marker showing where you'd have to walk to for quests (Mankrik's Wife anyone?)
    - some very inconvenient abilities (pets running away because of lack of food, soul shards taking up inventory space, ranged classes running out of ammo, and so on)
    Somebody clearly didnt know how leveling was in vanilla :)
    Tip: there was not enough quests in the entire world to lvl you to max lvl. So, on top of completing each and every zone available to your faction you also needed grind mobs. 

Gaxusn said:
    WoW was great at launch. Open world PvP was some of the most enjoyable times I've had in an MMO... Crossroads... those were the days.

I see a common trend of people wanting MMO's how they used to be. When you get to the finer details; what people want is the difficulty back in the simple things. Deadmines for example was epic, now its a 5 minute rush. People want that epicness back and it only comes through difficulty. 

open world pvp died the second battlegrounds were released. not over time. instantly. because it was soooooo baaaaaaad. 
    Gdemami
    edited October 2017
    cheyane said:
    You should try Project 1999 and I can almost guarantee you won't be able to handle it having been coddled by WoW. It will at least open up your eyes to what had come before and perhaps give some pause before you start one of your threads. You really cannot live without getting some affirmations from these forums I see but hey to each its own.

EQ1 could be #1 if it were released today.

However It was crude being such an extreme early 3 d game.  I'm in no way knocking the game it's just par for its time is all..... this is what Pantheon will fix and make #1 :) 

You're not as sweet and loving as you portray !
    GdemamiConvael
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    It's impossible to say. If it released today, and didn't release back in 2004, the entire MMO landscape would be different now.
    Gdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2017
    cheyane said:

However It was crude being such an extreme early 3 d game.  I'm in no way knocking the game it's just par for its time is all..... this is what Pantheon will fix and make #1 :) 

Im gonna piggy back off of Cheyane comments here, i was playing UO when Wow finally released , I had some friends who started playing Wow and asked me to join them , I found WOW ridiculously  easy ... But i also saw the appeal in it for the masses and invested heavily in Vivendi at that time :)

I still play UO (because it is challenging )............ havent played Wow in many years
    MrMelGibson
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

Im gonna piggy back off of Cheyane comments here, i was playing UO when Wow finally released , I had some friends who started playing Wow and asked me to join them , I found ridiculously Wow easy ... But i also saw the appeal in it for the masses and invested heavily in Vivendi at that time :)

I still play UO (because it is challenging )............ havent played Wow in many years

That's a very valid debate Scorchien, 

What's even better you stated your opinion nicely :)  
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    The thing I think he hit on the head was the amount of content and size at launch.  There have been very few games today that have come even close to launching with what wow had at launch.  The average person didn't make it to max level for a couple weeks to months because they didn't play 24/7, the pacing was great for this.  And the feeling when you finally saved up that 100g to buy the epic mount for the first time will never be repeated.  Overall the game just launched at the perfect time for the market it had.  Most likely we will never see a game dominate the market ever again like this in our lifetimes.

Would the game if launched today be #1, I doubt it to many people that want instant rewards that are not ready to put in the work to get those rewards.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I would pay a sub for official legacy servers, Blizzard just doesn't want my money.

I dunno how many customers Blizz is missing out on but would love to see what would happen with official legacy servers.
    Gdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I am not so sure but vanilla Wow with modern graphics would become popular... But exactly how popular is the question.

Let's just agree that Wow 2 would top the charts instead.
    Gdemami
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sorry OP but i don't believe it would be, the conditions are totally different today than they were a decade or so ago, there are more games, more choice and frankly, games with much better graphics. If vanilla WoW was to launch today, it would likely flop, or at best be a 'niche' title, but i sincerely doubt it would have much popularity at all, i think this is something that Blizzard is more than well aware of and i have no doubt that their business plans are reflected in this. :/
    MrMelGibson
    Phry said:
    Sorry OP but i don't believe it would be, the conditions are totally different today than they were a decade or so ago, there are more games, more choice and frankly, games with much better graphics. If vanilla WoW was to launch today, it would likely flop, or at best be a 'niche' title, but i sincerely doubt it would have much popularity at all, i think this is something that Blizzard is more than well aware of and i have no doubt that their business plans are reflected in this. :/

You could be right, who's to really say. 

However my opinion is a very unpopular one here.  Blizzards model today is built to sell expansion's.  Fast and furious, get to the next one. 

This will sound like a conspiracy theory, but telling the population everyone want's easy is just a marketing tool.  After all who can argue with millions of dollars spent on promoting this lie.  I for one don't think anyone likes easy, even little 5 year old Johnny.  Understand, easy and fast also initial's less content needed. 

Sure WoW has millions of players:
    - everything else sucks
    - its still a quality game
    - It's large
    - It's unstoppable main stream

Most of all, It could have WAY MORE players if it continued on the Vanilla path... Many more millions.

Gdemami
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    Phry said:

You could be right, who's to really say. 

However my opinion is a very unpopular one here.  Blizzards model today is built to sell expansion's.  Fast and furious, get to the next one. 

This will sound like a conspiracy theory, but telling the population everyone want's easy is just a marketing tool.  After all who can argue with millions of dollars spent on promoting this lie.  I for one don't think anyone likes easy, even little 5 year old Johnny.  Understand, easy and fast also initial's less content needed. 

Sure WoW has millions of players:
    - everything else sucks
    - its still a quality game
    - It's large
    - It's unstoppable main stream

Most of all, It could have WAY MORE players if it continued on the Vanilla path... Many more millions.

i used to play vanilla wow for hours and not really accomplish much. just would get caught up in all the distractions of the game. fast forward to today. now pencil in a wife and 2 kids and those few hours are now nearly nonexistent. yes i would probably enjoy playing it now but wouldnt because of the massive amount of time needed. 
    people always say that the players these days want instant gratification. i somewhat disagree. i dont have the time i used to have so i dont necessarily want to play a game like vanilla wow now. 

as for wows numbers now, we all know its misleading. i had a few accounts active while not playing for a couple years. log in once a week or so. just didnt want to let it go. wow is wow in name only now. it would not be #1 today. not even close.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Rose tinted glasses. Personally, I felt FFXI was superior to WoW in terms of what it did and how unforgiving it was even though pvp was pretty much non-existent. That aside, even I can write a detailed list of the issues it had and vanilla wow is no different. Just as something was "good" back in the day, chances are there was still a long list of things that were "bad." One of the major things that led to WoW's early success wasn't how good it was as a mmorpg but how well it was marketed. If you really were around in the vanilla days, then you would know how it was almost in every TV show and commercials were non-stop (mainly why FFXI wasn't as popular as it could've been, SE was really cheap about the PR for it).
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LMAO it wouldnt last a month. It was buggy and the servers crashed and the gameplay was spotty at best. It had a perfect storm to make it what it was. Disgruntled players from other games, the new game smell with nothing else to play (but GW1 which wasnt a real MMO). And the real reason I think was because Vanguard was a complete disaster. Vanguard would have been WoW if the guys running the show had any sort of competence at all.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I dont think it would have the financial success in 2017 that it had in 2004....it entered teh genre at a perfect time, and everyone was still willing to p2p because you had no other choice......Now with so many free titles out there a few million might have bypassed it in favor of a free title.
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    maji said:
    - more content
    - no P2W

- outdated graphics
    - no PvP
    Tbh, a lot of your negative points would be welcome to me. But I do understand where you're coming from.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I really don't see all the people playing WoW moving to a vanilla server, perhaps for a short while just to check it out.  But they would probably miss what current WoW has.  Regular WoW is not hurting for players at the moment, down players yes, but still the largest MMO.  Don't think that needs fixing.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I think the internet has and will continue to ruin MMO's. The problem is , there is such a wealth of information before a game even releases nothing ever comes as a big surprise . I guess it helped for me going into vanilla knowing nothing about the game, But today its virtually impossible to do that and even when you do stumble upon a game you know nothing about it never matches the scale that wow launched with. 

The internet ie streamers-wiki-fan sites- hell even this very website and the forums just spoil every ounce of mystery and surprise a game has to offer. ThE GENRE IS DEAD, Its been dead for quite some time, I don't think any MMO will ever recreate the magic of WOW-SWG- Everquest or any of the past greats. Nostalgia sucks ,MOVE! ON!!! 
    Gdemami
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    I loved the older WoW, but doubt it would. Gamers have changed over the years to the point they are willing to buy a game and pay more to skip content.

Vanilla would be too much for most of today's WoW players, I don't say that in a mean way, it's just the way it is. Going from a game that lets you level in under a week, drops epics and legendary items like crazy, LFR raiding, ETC. To leveling taking potential a month, epic and legendaries locked to high end content and not seeing certain content unless you raid. 

Vanilla wasn't perfect in any way, but it had that draw to it that made you want to log-in and stay logged in for god knows how many hours/days lol
    MrMelGibson