Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hidden gems on steam

2»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ohh boy. Since I fell out of love with most AAA titles a long time ago here's an extensive list of smaller titles that would otherwise NEVER catch your eye. I won't go into detail on how or what since that would take forever, just check the steam pages for them.

Crashlands
    Dins Curse
    Hammerwatch
    Darkest Dungeon
    Factorio
    Rimworld
    Immortal Planet
    Exanima
    Star in Shadow
    Cosmic Star Heroine
    Halycon 6
    Age of Decadence
    Cross Code
    Hero Siege
    The Flame in the Flood
    Underrail
    Chronicon
    Book of Demons
    Satellite Reign
    Windward
    Banished
    Sunless Sea
    Overfall
    Jotun
    Balrum
    FTL
    This War of Mine
    Stasis
    Dungeons of Dredmor

I'll stop here, I could go on but there must be several titles among these that might (and should)  peak your interest. I would love some feedback from all of you on which ones you checked out and liked, they are ALL quality stuff as far as I'm concerned. Good luck!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

starstorm777MrMelGibsonKylerand_20Phaserlight[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ntaos21ntaos21 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    You can find in Steam probably the best Jrpg series noone has ever played, ===> "Trails in the Sky" trilogy.
    https://kotaku.com/how-to-get-into-trails-one-of-the-best-rpg-series-out-1786275078

[Deleted User]TheScavenger
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2017
    ntaos21 said:
    You can find in Steam probably the best Jrpg series noone has ever played, ===> "Trails in the Sky" trilogy.
    https://kotaku.com/how-to-get-into-trails-one-of-the-best-rpg-series-out-1786275078

That was actually on PSP first and I loved that game.  Good call.  

Android market also has a massive JRPG list as well.  Turn based rpgs play really well on a tablet.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    lahnmir said:
    Ohh boy. Since I fell out of love with most AAA titles a long time ago here's an extensive list of smaller titles that would otherwise NEVER catch your eye. I won't go into detail on how or what since that would take forever, just check the steam pages for them.

Crashlands
    Dins Curse
    Hammerwatch
    Darkest Dungeon
    Factorio
    Rimworld
    Immortal Planet
    Exanima
    Star in Shadow
    Cosmic Star Heroine
    Halycon 6
    Age of Decadence
    Cross Code
    Hero Siege
    The Flame in the Flood
    Underrail
    Chronicon
    Book of Demons
    Satellite Reign
    Windward
    Banished
    Sunless Sea
    Overfall
    Jotun
    Balrum
    FTL
    This War of Mine
    Stasis
    Dungeons of Dredmor

I'll stop here, I could go on but there must be several titles among these that might (and should)  peak your interest. I would love some feedback from all of you on which ones you checked out and liked, they are ALL quality stuff as far as I'm concerned. Good luck!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

So this is what the independently wealthy do all day, play games. ;)

More titles on this list than I've played in the last 20 years, and I'm guessing its not your complete list. 

Thanks for sharing, time to revise my Steam lists.  

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

Crashlands
    Dins Curse
    Hammerwatch
    Darkest Dungeon
    Factorio
    Rimworld
    Immortal Planet
    Exanima
    Star in Shadow
    Cosmic Star Heroine
    Halycon 6
    Age of Decadence
    Cross Code
    Hero Siege
    The Flame in the Flood
    Underrail
    Chronicon
    Book of Demons
    Satellite Reign
    Windward
    Banished
    Sunless Sea
    Overfall
    Jotun
    Balrum
    FTL
    This War of Mine
    Stasis
    Dungeons of Dredmor

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

So this is what the independently wealthy do all day, play games. ;)

More titles on this list than I've played in the last 20 years, and I'm guessing its not your complete list. 

Thanks for sharing, time to revise my Steam lists.  
    Hahaha I wish mate, do know that all these titles are smaller ones, indie if you like. Let me know what peaks your interest, if you like Fallout for instance you might go with the oldschool approach of Underrail. 

/Cheers,
    Lahhnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    lahnmir said:

Crashlands
    Dins Curse
    Hammerwatch
    Darkest Dungeon
    Factorio
    Rimworld
    Immortal Planet
    Exanima
    Star in Shadow
    Cosmic Star Heroine
    Halycon 6
    Age of Decadence
    Cross Code
    Hero Siege
    The Flame in the Flood
    Underrail
    Chronicon
    Book of Demons
    Satellite Reign
    Windward
    Banished
    Sunless Sea
    Overfall
    Jotun
    Balrum
    FTL
    This War of Mine
    Stasis
    Dungeons of Dredmor

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Well....this is gonna take awhile...
    Kyleran

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    lahnmir said:

Crashlands
    Dins Curse
    Hammerwatch
    Darkest Dungeon
    Factorio
    Rimworld
    Immortal Planet
    Exanima
    Star in Shadow
    Cosmic Star Heroine
    Halycon 6
    Age of Decadence
    Cross Code
    Hero Siege
    The Flame in the Flood
    Underrail
    Chronicon
    Book of Demons
    Satellite Reign
    Windward
    Banished
    Sunless Sea
    Overfall
    Jotun
    Balrum
    FTL
    This War of Mine
    Stasis
    Dungeons of Dredmor

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I've played Darkest Dungeon, Windward, FTL, and This War of Mine.

I was impressed with the last two. I grew up playing The Ancient Art of War at Sea and was somewhat disappointed with Windward (I'm used to having to consider wind direction, formations, cannon angle and load times, boarding parties...). Darkest Dungeon I am getting close to 40 hours in to. 

I've seen "let's plays" of Factorio and Rimworld.  They look very engaging, but I'm at the stage where I'm already trying to hold off on any further Steam purchases until I get at least 50% of my catalog above the '1 hour per 1$' mark.

Dwarf Fortress is not on Steam, but it's free, and vaguely similar to the last two titles it seems. 
    [Deleted User]

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I spent 1000s of hours in Civ V. Won't play Civ VI until an expansion fixing the AI is released. I also had fun with the X series of games. X3TC and X3AP were fun to me. Both are Sandbox games where one builds their own empire across a universe. 

Though my favorite series of games I found on steam was Hyperdimension Neptunia. Problem is that I beat all of those games into submission. :( 
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited September 2017
    I just finished a Rockstar game (makers of GTA, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, etc.) called Bully Scholarship Edition.  The game has some issues with stability, but it is a really fun game.  I actually had more fun with it then with the other games I mentioned that have better graphics and killing.  You start in a school of bullies and try to beat them all into submission so that you can stop them from bullying all the other students.  There are various different classes you take like art, music, math, photography, geography, biology, etc. that give you bonuses if you pass the course.  You can ride bicycles and skateboards.  There are different clicks like when I went to high school (Nerd, Rich, Jock, Greaser, Weird, etc.)  I related to the game very well and thought it was a great combination of storytelling and immature fun.  The music in game is outstanding IMO.

Aside from that I've been playing a new soccer game that came out on Steam recently.  It's quite good.  I'm also playing a Tennis game called Tennis Elbow and it's difficult, but fairly enjoyable.
    [Deleted User]
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    out of all the steam games i have tried, i have to say 7 days to die is by far my favorite. didnt expect it to be, but it has really come along way since i first bought it and they are constantly adding new things to the game.
    Kyleran
  • sniperbaitsniperbait Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Im really liking this new game called Stash.
    Its pretty much an MMO and its free to play. 
    I highly recommend taking a look at it if you like the table-top style.
    Phaserlight[Deleted User]
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    lahnmir said:

Crashlands
    Dins Curse
    Hammerwatch
    Darkest Dungeon
    Factorio
    Rimworld
    Immortal Planet
    Exanima
    Star in Shadow
    Cosmic Star Heroine
    Halycon 6
    Age of Decadence
    Cross Code
    Hero Siege
    The Flame in the Flood
    Underrail
    Chronicon
    Book of Demons
    Satellite Reign
    Windward
    Banished
    Sunless Sea
    Overfall
    Jotun
    Balrum
    FTL
    This War of Mine
    Stasis
    Dungeons of Dredmor

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I've played Darkest Dungeon, Windward, FTL, and This War of Mine.

I was impressed with the last two. I grew up playing The Ancient Art of War at Sea and was somewhat disappointed with Windward (I'm used to having to consider wind direction, formations, cannon angle and load times, boarding parties...). Darkest Dungeon I am getting close to 40 hours in to. 

I've seen "let's plays" of Factorio and Rimworld.  They look very engaging, but I'm at the stage where I'm already trying to hold off on any further Steam purchases until I get at least 50% of my catalog above the '1 hour per 1$' mark.

Dwarf Fortress is not on Steam, but it's free, and vaguely similar to the last two titles it seems. 
    Speaking of the Ageless Realms, you have to watch this video:

The series has reached Star Wars-like proportions.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824
    The thing about gems is that they don't tend to stay hidden, people keep giving them good reviews and so on. :)

You are going to have to give us some idea of the games you like before you get meaningful comments.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Kingdoms and Castles is a fun title. I've gotten 50+ hours of enjoyment from this game and it was very unexpected. Not bad for $9.99.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Aight here is one that popped up from a reviewer i really like , been playing it for a couple days now ...

Amazing game , so many options and ways to approach all those seems like im fucked situations ..
      Great atmosphere and immersion , seemingly endless replay value ...

Heat Signature ...
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/268130/Heat_Signature/

MrMelGibson
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited September 2017
    I'll add my stamp of approval to Limbo, Inside, and Child of Light, which were suggested by Kano. All great, relatively inexpensive games. Limbo and Inside are great 2D puzzle/platformers with awesome art and powerful, melancholy stories by a dev called Playdead, and Child of Light is a really cool 2D turn-based JRPG with metroidvania style exploration, amazing hand painted art, and great music AND it has a free demo on Steam so you can try it out.

I'll add all 3 games by Supergiant Games: Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre, and there's currently a sale on all 3: 75% off Bastion and Transistor, and 25% off their newest title, Pyre.
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 450
    One Finger Death Punch
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    There are quite a few hidden gems on steam. Some aren't all that hidden, but I have a few favorites. 

If you like adventure games at all, the Deponia series is really really good. They have really obscure puzzles occasionally but the animation and voice acting is pretty fun, and the game itself is nice to play. 

I really like the Van Helsing arpgs. All 3 of them were super fun and provided plenty of entertainment for how little they cost. Plus they all had online multiplayer as well. Grim Dawn is also really good for an ARPG as well.

If you are into momentum based speed running type games, SEUM is really cheesy but super fun to try to climb leaderboards. It's like if quake didn't have a gun and had portal like systems with 30 second levels that really allow you to try to abuse the game to go faster and beat leaderboard times.

There are so many games on steam that just don't get enough attention but it's really hard to find them all.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    ntaos21 said:

This one looks awesome. I know what I'm buying next Steam sales :smiley:

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    I haven't tried this yet as I just stumbled upon it but it looks interesting.
    Has anyone tried it?
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Kyleran said:
    My problem with steam...... Once a game is gone off the top of the list its gone unless you type the exact name.  You will not find it by clicking on page after page. 

This makes it hard if you found a nice game but forget the name...well, good luck in finding it again.

Let me try and put it another way. Anything older than two months old, it's gone completely unless you type.
    Well, unless of course you save them in your "Wish" or "Followed" lists.

Put another way, Steam has tools of convenience, use them. 

;)

Lets just say you never knew about Oblivion, this was a popular game.  By casually scrolling page after page, it's a good chance you wouldn't come across it. 

This is ONLY an example of my point, infact it may be their..... Still so many good/classics are lost, even newer ones that are only a few months old.

That's not true. You can easily search different genres, and even select other tags, although, admittedly they could have an advanced search.

I found Boundel that way. Nice little game. I played for about two weeks. Not bad for .99 cents. I think its actually free now.

Banished, The Guild, Sid Meier's Pirates, Warlock - are some older titles.

A new RPG I am enjoying is Fall of Light.

I wouldn't go into a Steam Indie game expecting Oblivion type game play. 
    MrMelGibson
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    edited October 2017
    Postal 2, Rimworld, This War of Mine, Darkest Dungeon, Disgaea.  Party Hard is fun.
    [Deleted User]