Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Development Updates

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    Underwater flight modell in the works with underwater flora and fauna #nofeaturecreep
    That question was specifically asked before it was a very future we'll see about it.

But obviously the moment there's water it raises the question, what if you, your ship fall into it, it brings all sorts of situations that can't be ignored.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    It would be nice if CIG started assigning folks to develop a proper line of clothing for the LGBT community and start funding sales of the clothing.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited September 2017
    Elsabolts said:
    It would be nice if CIG started assigning folks to develop a proper line of clothing for the LGBT community and start funding sales of the clothing.
    Why for that community alone? Last I've noticed there should be no special organizations. Everything for everyone.

Excession
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Babuinix said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Why for that community alone? Last I've noticed there should be no special organizations. Everything for everyone.

It's in jest, I think CIG could be spending there money in better ways then, showing off there dresses and baking cookies. and there time as well.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    That would open the Pandora box that is the Internet.

Starts will LGBT, then Feminists, Black Power, etc... And if CIG says no after doing the first one it will be discrimination. I've seen this before lol

Excession
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Meh, it's game, not a life sim.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Do LGBT wear special clothing that no one else wears?
    Do LGBT wear special clothing that no one else wears?
    No, they just dress better than the rest. 
    Excession
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I watched the last Town Hall video and was surprised to here they have 106 ships in different stages of completion.  I remember some people saying they are going for having every ship in their collection and one guy even said he was working with two of each.  That's gotta cost some serious cash.  Minus a few ships that won't be up for purchase.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    what the fuck do you need 106 ships for
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Scolioz said:
    $$
    MaxBacon

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2017
    Scolioz said:
    Ask the EVE Online players ...  including variants they have even more and are happy with it.

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/egamia/images/2/2b/Eve_chart.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070412043833

Have fun

JamesGoblin
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    Scolioz said:
    Ask the EVE Online players ...  including variants they have even more and are happy with it.

Have fun

Eve players have had a game with complex gameplay that actually makes use of that number of ships for more than 10 years.

Star Citizen can't even get a simple game loop right after ~6 years of development.

Comparing Star Citizen to EvE Online as an argument is like faceplanting on purpose.
    JamesGoblinVorpalChicken28MaxBaconKefoExcession

..Cake..

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Scolioz said:
    Ships have different variants, so one model of ship might have several different attributes/styles. Example, the FC7 has 6 different types, but the model is the same. So in truth, the number of actual different models are probably half that or more.

sgel said:
    Eve players have had a game with complex gameplay that actually makes use of that number of ships for more than 10 years.

Star Citizen can't even get a simple game loop right after ~6 years of development.

Comparing Star Citizen to EvE Online as an argument is like faceplanting on purpose.
    The point stil stands, there are many ships to server multiple purpose, doesn't matter what dev time or which one has been running longer. Simple question simple answer, but I know you guys can't help yourselves sometimes and have a normal chat without throwing shade :)
    MaxBaconvito11Odeezee
    Herase said:
    Scolioz said:
    Ships have different variants, so one model of ship might have several different attributes/styles. Example, the FC7 has 6 different types, but the model is the same. So in truth, the number of actual different models are probably half that or more.

sgel said:

The point stil stands, there are many ships to server multiple purpose, doesn't matter what dev time or which one has been running longer. Simple question simple answer, but I know you guys can't help yourselves sometimes and have a normal chat without throwing shade :)
    Yup without the variants that are the same ship the game seems to have around 50 unique ships. And that accounts the 5 HULL ships (the same in different sizes) as their own.
    Excession
    Herase said:

sgel said:

The point doesn't stand if you're comparing fact to fiction.

I could probably come up and design a few hundred ships for a few hundred roles if you give me a few weeks.
    Comparing those to a game that actually has purpose for it's ships in a game that actually exists,  has existed for more than 10 years AND is successfully in doing what it came out to do, is ridiculous.

Let's talk again when Star Citizen is 1/100th of the game EvE Online was half a decade ago.
    MaxBaconExcessionOdeezee

..Cake..

edited September 2017
    sgel said:
    His point absolutely stands no matter how hard you stretch for arguments to dismiss it...

Bringing up the dev time and status of the game doesn't matter to the point of why the game has many ships in the first place, either the "profession" functionality is currently playable or not.
    ExcessionOdeezee
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited September 2017
    Erillion said:
    Scolioz said:

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/egamia/images/2/2b/Eve_chart.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070412043833

Have fun

So Sc is copying Eve? I thought they were being all innovative and doing something new?

Thanks for clarifying what SC is doing Mr HaveFun.
    Odeezee
    sgel said:

I could probably come up and design a few hundred ships for a few hundred roles if you give me a few weeks.

Clock is ticking ...

lets give you a few weeks ...

on my mark ...

MARK ...

Lets see your "a few hundred ships" before ... lets say X-Mas .....

that will be fun, Mr. Halfpipe-Slang

Have fun

Creating a diverse universe sandbox with interesting player stories and actions ...

Do not thank me ... it is always a pleasure to answer ...

Have fun

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Erillion said:
    Scolioz said:

Have fun

So Sc is copying Eve? I thought they were being all innovative and doing something new?

Roberts has always been derivative.   With the exception of pushing the genre's cinematics,  he sees something in another game, and wants it in his.  No matter whether it's a good idea or not.  Started out that way, and has continued to this day.   Perfect example is last year's 'demo' with sandworms and sand people.   Now that's innovation! 
    Odeezee

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2017
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:

Clock is ticking ...

lets give you a few weeks ...

on my mark ...

MARK ...

Lets see your "a few hundred ships" before ... lets say X-Mas .....

that will be fun, Mr. Halfpipe-Slang

Have fun
    1. Ship for racing both in space and in air
    2. Ship for racing exclusively in space
    3. Small transport ship
    4. Medium transport ship
    5. Large transport ship
    6. Huge transport ship
    7. Small transport ship designed for landing on planets
    8. Medium transport ship designed for landing on planets
    9. Large transport ship designed for landing on planets
    10. Large transport ship with several sprawling arms
    11. Huge transport ship with several sprawling arms
    12. Single-seat fighter designed for maximum laser firepower
    13. Single-seat fighter designed for shielding and endurance
    14. Stealth single-seat fighter
    15. Single-seat fighter designed for maximum acceleration
    16. Single-seat fighter designed for maximum turning speed
    17. Single-seat fighter designed for launching huge torpedoes on capital ships
    18. Single-seat fighter designed for in-atmosphere dogfights
    19. Single-seat fighter designed for combating ground targets
    20. Single-seat fighter with capacity do dive into liquids and withstand extreme conditions
    21 to 29: Two-seat fighters for laser firepower, shielding and endurance, stealth, acceleration, turning speed, torpedo launching, in-atmosphere dogfights, ground targets, and extreme condition flying
    103. Small minelayer ship
    104. Medium minelayer ship
    32. Small salvage ship
    33. Ship designed as moving base for salvage operations
    34. Small mining ship
    35. Medium mining ship
    36. Ship designed as moving base for mining operations
    37. Small refuel ship
    38. Medium refuel ship
    39. Small worker/repair/construction ship
    40. Small crew transport ship for space construction sites
    41. Medium worker/repair/construction ship
    42. Large repair ship designed for repairing docked ships at hangar
    43. Hauler ship designed to move large and huge ships
    44. Carrier ships designed to take medium and small ships inside itself
    45. Carrier ship designed to support a fighter group in-battle
    46. Fast one-person scanner ship
    47. Medium sized patrol ship designed for long solo operations
    48. Large patrol ship designed for long solo operations
    49. Remote controlled small scanner ship
    50. Small ship designed to work in a group, projecting a force-field in front of a larger ship
    51. Medium ship designed to project a force-field on another ship
    52. Medium ship designed to work as a moving battlefield command center
    53. Large ships designed to work as a moving battlefield command center
    54. Huge troop transport ship
    55. Small landing ship for troops
    56. Medium landing ship for troops and a group based vehicle
    57. Small ship designed to generate interference on scans
    58. Medium ship designed to generate interference on scans
    59. Medium sized medical ship
    60. Large sized medical ship
    61. Single-seat long-range patrol ship
    62. Two-seat long-range patrol ship
    63. Small police ship designed for light combat, scanning, and detaining prisoners
    64. Ship designed for air-to-ground recon operations
    65. Forensic ship designed for examining accidents and residues left by battle
    66. Search ship designed to look for lost ships
    67. Ship designed to act as a comm relay
    68. Stealth ship designed to tap on communications
    69. Unarmed civilian single-seat ship
    70. Space taxi/small person transport ship
    71. Large person transport ship
    72. Luxury space cruiser
    73. Luxury personal ship for VIPs
    74. Small boarding ship designed to latch on other ship's hull for boarding
    75. Medium boarding ship designed to latch on other ship's hull for boarding
    76. Ship designed for observation of space-native lifeforms
    77. Large colonization ship designed to land on planet and be dismantled there
    78. Huge colonization ship designed to land on planet and be dismantled there
    79. Small ship designed for taking mineral samples and other samples
    80. Science ships designed for analyzing those samples in-space
    81. Guide-ship to help large ships dock
    82. Huge ship designed to carry other ships (up to large size) through atmosphere
    83. Large ship designed to carry other ships (up to medium size) through atmosphere
    84. Large ship designed for space-to-ground bombardment
    85. Huge ship designed for space-to-ground bombardment
    86. Small training ship
    87. Training ship with capacity for planetary landings
    88. Medium slingshot ship designed to grab onto another ship and give them help during acceleration phase then detach
    89. Large slingshot ship
    90. Evacuation ship for larger ships
    91. Debris collector ship designed to clear orbits of debris
    92. Tow ship designed to adjust orbits of satellites
    93. Single-seat fighter that can join together with other other identical fighter to form a larger ship for journey, then detach for dogfight
    94. Two-seat fighter that can join together with other other identical fighter to form a larger ship for journey, then detach for dogfight
    95. Burial ship
    96. Diplomatic ship with adjustable conditions so that different alien races can all have areas with gravity/temperature/atmosphere/radiation conditions that suit them
    97. Medium ship designed to fight swarms of small ships
    98. Medium ship designed to fight larger ships
    99. Large ship designed to fight smaller ships
    100. Large ships designed to fight huge ships
    101. Huge ship designed to fight smaller ships
    102. Huge ship designed to fight other huge targets
    103. Ship designed for minefield mapping
    104. Ship designed for clearing mines

Then have 3 different races in game, each of which have their own ships, and you've already got more than 300 different ships
    Asm0deus

SC has:
    > Capitals
    > Dogfighting
    > Exploration
    > Mining
    > Carrier
    > Interdiction / Bounty Hunter
    > Vanduul
    > Personal Transport
    > Millitary Transport
    > Gunship
    > Heavy Fighter
    > Frigade
    > Destroyer
    > "Luxury" / Touring
    > Information Running
    > Racing
    > Bomber
    > Research
    > Light Fighter
    > Repair
    > Refuel
    > Militia
    > Trader
    > Banu
    > Search and Rescue / Medical
    > Salvage
    > Police / Patrol
    > Cargo
    > EMP Warfare

Kinda random also missing or just wrong entries there, but kinda gives idea of the type of ships.

The thing is that list already represents more than half of SC unique ships, what generates so many types are the variants of the same ship.
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    His point absolutely stands no matter how hard you stretch for arguments to dismiss it...

Bringing up the dev time and status of the game doesn't matter to the point of why the game has many ships in the first place, either the "profession" functionality is currently playable or not.
    Ok here's another similar point then.

I'm going to build a rocket in my garden to fly to the moon.
    I can do it because NASA has done it.
    ExcessionMaxBacon

..Cake..

sgel said:
    Ok here's another similar point then.

I'm going to build a rocket in my garden to fly to the moon.
    I can do it because NASA has done it.
    Nice to have you with us here on this forum, Elon !

Have fun
    ArglebargleBabuinix