Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like the devs are working up a Subscription page

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=77345

It's a buy once to play forever game with free to play options every month now and the option for a subscription on the way.  But they still need to launch.  How's this going to work being F2P, B2P, and Subs all at the same time?
Aron_SwordmasterIce-QueenHachlath

Comments

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited September 2017
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=77345

It's a buy once to play forever game with free to play options every month now and the option for a subscription on the way.  But they still need to launch.  How's this going to work being F2P, B2P, and Subs all at the same time?
    I guess Chris gives a good idea how it's gonna work, these slimey devs think people will pay upward to $50 a month in subscription for this piece of crap game....The only people will be the few people they got left that keep giving them money that will pay for a subscription. Your average player will try the free trial out and say what a piece of ^%$# game with an over priced add-on store then uninstall and walk away with in hours of trying it out. These guys are hilarious and delusional.

"Chris Spears"

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/quick-brain-dump-on-our-logic-behind-cotos.71486/page-3

"BTW, I think we've discussed a monthly pledge option publicly before. It would have multiple different levels, maybe $5,$10,$20,$50 a month pledge tiers."

Aron_Swordmasterblorpykins
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    $50 a month sub for a buy to play game that is also free to play every month.  Whatever these guys are smoking, it must be the very best backer money can buy.
    RawynLeFantomeIce-QueenHachlath
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    $50 a month sub for a buy to play game that is also free to play every month.  Whatever these guys are smoking, it must be the very best backer money can buy.
    Hey, they're community members still think this game will knock WoW off the charts too, bahahahhaa. The whole game is like a ghost town, been that way since they launched err ok they say went persistent in 2016. They can't even keep a few hundred peeps playing these days, yah backer money must be providing them with some good stuff for sure lol.
    LeFantome
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Wtf is wrong with them ????
    Ice-Queen

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Now I know where my stash went and this is how it gets used.
    Ice-Queen

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This is pretty sad, but sheeple need to learn the hard way sometimes I guess.
    Ice-Queen
  • ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited October 2017
    bigger scam than star citizen
    Rawyn
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Was a firm supporter of the game the first year out of respect for Richard Garriott massive contributions to RPG gaming over almost 40 years...but every few months I become more and more disappointed by their choices.
    Hachlath

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Its a shame that Garriotts greed far exceeds his talent
    Rawyn
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Darkstarr said all the hooks are in for subscriptions and they're just waiting now to turn it on.  They are probably waiting for the commercial launch in March.  It would be crazy to launch a subscription service right now, but I don't think it would change much.

That means they will have the game for $40.00, but also for free to level 50, and they plan to keep telethons going every month even after commercial launch.  Subscriptions will even tie into the telethons. Darkstarr said they will make it possible that some subscription levels offer pre pay into the telethons so you get all the stretch goals even if you miss the stream.

Now all they have to do is make a game that people want to play.  I think they have every possible payment plan covered now.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    This game isn't good enough for a sub is it?
    This is where Darkstarr talks about it.

The way he says it all the subs will be optional, so if they're like the rest of the store it'll probably be just another way to buy decos.  Bundles can cost many thousands of dollars, some are even $14k and those come with rare decos, weapons, and armor.  Probably the subs will come with a similar setup.  Chris already mentioned that the subs could cost as much as $50 a month.
    This game isn't good enough for a sub is it?
    If you like collecting Unity assets and RMT, you'd probably want to sub.  Tha't all the game is about besides grinding.  Just collect stuff and sell it for paypal, I bet some of those traders would pay $1000 a month for subs if they got enough stuff for resale.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    edited January 2018
    This game has been a mess from the start.   Richard didnt have a real good idea what he wanted to do with the game from day 1.  He was trying to mix being an MMORPG with a single player game if you didnt want to play online.  That was done to get a large audience.    That failed big time.   

Now add in the fact that the cash shop allows you to buy player run cities for $12,000.   This is a big P2W piece that pissed off everyone.  But it had to be done because the B2P setup didnt work with this game.

In Truth the best thing this game can do is shut down, rebuilt itself as a true UO2 replacement MMORPG.   With a Subscription model that is priced about the same as UO currently is.   Get rid of the current cash shop.  Also no purchase price to the game.   Just a Sub Only game.  Yea you can do a a F2P trial that would give people a month or 2 of game time to get them into the game.  But do not design the game with a B2P/F2P mind set.   Do straight up P2P period.  

This is coming from someone who played UO from 1998 until 2003 when SWG came out.   I loved UO.  The only reason I do not play UO today is the game from Pub 16 on was never the same.   I was even OK with the cash shop stuff in UO 2002 with buying character level ups, because really they only took a month or 2 of time off your skill curve.  I remember only getting .1% towards Provoke and Taming in my power hour.   

They also need to redo the entire combat system.   Having different abilities come up at different times and so on.  Nope not fun.   I dont like random card game combat setup.   

This game suffers to a great extent from the B2P F2P crowd that does not like subscriptions but does not realize that Subscriptions for MMORPGs when the market is not over saturated like it is right now is the best way to go.   This game can learn a lot from Ashes of Creation which I am more interested in than the current game.   

If this game can become a very well rounded PVE sandbox MMO a lot of people would play it.   You can have PVP in this as well with PVP Zones and SWG like PVP Flagging.   

danwest58 said:

Now add in the fact that the cash shop allows you to buy player run cities for $12,000.   This is a big P2W piece that pissed off everyone.  But it had to be done because the B2P setup didnt work with this game.

That's just the base costs.  You don't get any land deeds or houses when you buy a player owned town, you just get the scene.  Land, houses, and decorations are all extra.  It was a long time ago but some folks in the forums figured out how much it would cost to load up a town with land deeds and houses and it was way over $100,000.00 and that didn't include any decorations which will set you back thousands for each house if people let themselves get taken in by the cash shop.

Porta says their towns are good for about half their profits, but that was last year.  Probably now their towns are 100% of their profits since they offer a F2P option now.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's dead who cares?  By the end of the year the game studio will shut down.  Lord British royally effed this title.
    JamesGoblin
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    danwest58 said:

That's just the base costs.  You don't get any land deeds or houses when you buy a player owned town, you just get the scene.  Land, houses, and decorations are all extra.  It was a long time ago but some folks in the forums figured out how much it would cost to load up a town with land deeds and houses and it was way over $100,000.00 and that didn't include any decorations which will set you back thousands for each house if people let themselves get taken in by the cash shop.

Porta says their towns are good for about half their profits, but that was last year.  Probably now their towns are 100% of their profits since they offer a F2P option now.
    The point still stands on using money for player run cities.  It drove people off and hurt the game overall.   They should have made player run cities much like SWG did.  Again this game should just have gone full MMORPG mode no single player game, and a Subscription of around $10 a month.   No purchasing the game.   Then they wouldnt have needed to throw Player Cities in the cash shop.   Richard has some good ideas for SOTA but the overall design was bad.   Also going the B2P Route does not work, you even see this with ESO which is a good MMORPG.   Most people there will just Sub because its cheaper than shelling out $70+ for all the expansions when you can get it for $15 a month and then buy the expansion with your loyalty cash shop credits.

SOTA was a clear B2P with no subscription and based everything off the cash shop.  Its not working.    
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    LOL

That's some wishful thinking right there.
    Lasterba said:
    LOL

That's some wishful thinking right there.

Everything about this game is wishful thinking.  They've been in persistence for more than a year, actually like 18 months now and half of the people voting on their forum poll about subs are saying no.  There's no wipe before launch so basically the only people that are going to play this game are already there and half of them are saying no.  They will still do it, the subs and they'll play it off and just censor the negative posts in the forums until people stop complaining.  It's what they do.
  • cover2xycover2xy Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Once again, Portaterrible going back on previous statements of NOT having any subscriptions for those who bought the game. I don't care if it's voluntary this is just once again another example of them trying to grab more money from the white knight whales!
    JamesGoblin