Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Why are some of you so anal about the abbreviation MMO? The OP is clearly interested in the multiplayer aspect of PoE. PoE is not a lobby game, you encounter random players in its world just like in a MMO. It has quests, you can chose to group with ppl you encounter to do said quests and its an open world.  It is just not your traditional idea of a MMO. This is also what makes PoE very different from Diablo3, Torchlight 2 and Titan like some suggested to the OP. But that it is not the point here.

The point here is that the OP asked if there are similar ARPG's like PoE with an open to everyone world. And didn't ask for a discussion about what makes a MMO.

Oh and please stop being so hung up about the word MMO.

Just to be clear : ARPG and MMO are not exclusive. A game can be both. Whether PoE is both, I really don't care, but MMO is not a game genre. It is just a set of features that can belong to many different game genres.

What?  It absolutely is a genre, distinct from multiplayer titles.  That was the entire point of adding another M.

A game's set of features defines its genres.  You wouldn't call a shooter presented with a first person viewpoint a 3rd person shooter.
    SamhaelMrMelGibsonGdemami

edited September 2017
    Troll thread in disguise!
    Just because you don't like a thread, doesn't make it a troll thread. This is about games similar to PoE that are MMOs and worth playing or at least trying out. And so far really enjoying Devilian
    Nah, your phrasing throughout the OP and responses previous to my post make it clear you were asserting PoE was an MMORPG, and considering your recent thread history, it was to incense some folks.  We're not stupid.  Only once I called you out did you attempt to say "games similar to PoE that are MMO".
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonGdemami

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Why are some of you so anal about the abbreviation MMO? The OP is clearly interested in the multiplayer aspect of PoE. PoE is not a lobby game, you encounter random players in its world just like in a MMO. It has quests, you can chose to group with ppl you encounter to do said quests and its an open world.  It is just not your traditional idea of a MMO. This is also what makes PoE very different from Diablo3, Torchlight 2 and Titan like some suggested to the OP. But that it is not the point here.

The point here is that the OP asked if there are similar ARPG's like PoE with an open to everyone world. And didn't ask for a discussion about what makes a MMO.

Oh and please stop being so hung up about the word MMO.

Just to be clear : ARPG and MMO are not exclusive. A game can be both. Whether PoE is both, I really don't care, but MMO is not a game genre. It is just a set of features that can belong to many different game genres.

Yeah I was looking more at the open hub thing where you can meet lots of people.

Also. I agree, dunno why people get so anal about a game being classified as an MMO. The funny thing is, MMORPG.com AND massively call it an MMO. 
    Excession

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Just because you don't like a thread, doesn't make it a troll thread. This is about games similar to PoE that are MMOs and worth playing or at least trying out. And so far really enjoying Devilian
    Nah, your phrasing throughout the OP and responses previous to my post make it clear you were asserting PoE was an MMORPG, and considering your recent thread history, it was to incense some folks.  We're not stupid.  Only once I called you out did you attempt to say "games similar to PoE that are MMO".
    Massively and MMORPG.com call it an MMO. Are you saying they are "trolling" all their viewers then?

Or are you coming to my thread to harass me? Why aren't you complaining about what MMORPG.com and massively calling it (and many other games like Destiny) an MMO?

Oh you just don't like me...got it. 
    Excession

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Massively and MMORPG.com call it an MMO. Are you saying they are "trolling" all their viewers then?

Or are you coming to my thread to harass me? Why aren't you complaining about what MMORPG.com and massively calling it (and many other games like Destiny) an MMO?

This site considers literally any online game an MMO. 

POE is not an MMO.  It is an ARPG.

If Bill repeatedly posted bullshit in the forums, I would call him out on it.  He doesn't, so I don't. 
    MrMelGibsonGdemami

If Bill repeatedly posted bullshit in the forums, I would call him out on it.  He doesn't, so I don't. 
    I dunno how it looks on mobile, but this is what you see every time you go to the PoE forum

Discussion / Any other MMOs like Path of Exile?

Path of Exile is a free-to-play persistent online action MMO 

it says right in the description on MMORPG.com that its a free-to-play action MMO. Anyone can see it on the forum and look each time they come here (except again, dunno how it looks on a mobile device). Massively also says its an MMO when you go to their path of exile page. 

Excession

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    As others have said, Path of Exile is not an mmorpg. While this isn't ironclad proof, because some devs misclassify their game to get more hits, but this is what GGG classifies their own game as(in this case its 100% correct)

"Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast." Taken from the front page of the PoE website.

So the term, again, that you were looking for is ARPG. And a simple google search would have given you your answer OP.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonGdemamiForgrimmKyleran

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

I dunno how it looks on mobile, but this is what you see every time you go to the PoE forum

it says right in the description on MMORPG.com that its a free-to-play action MMO. Anyone can see it on the forum and look each time they come here (except again, dunno how it looks on a mobile device). Massively also says its an MMO when you go to their path of exile page. 

And just as many sites don't refer to it as an MMORPG.  But this has been explained to you, hasn't it?

You just want to keep stirring the shit.  So I'll keep calling you out.  See how that works?
    PhryGdemami

edited September 2017
    Sephiroso said:
    As others have said, Path of Exile is not an mmorpg. While this isn't ironclad proof, because some devs misclassify their game to get more hits, but this is what GGG classifies their own game as(in this case its 100% correct)

"Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast." Taken from the front page of the PoE website.

So the term, again, that you were looking for is ARPG. And a simple google search would have given you your answer OP.
    No. Except PoE of course, Diablo and Marvel Heroes (though haven't played it yet) and Devilian...none of the other ones have online only persistent servers and a persistent gameplay progression experience.

In Torchlight 2, there is no hub of 100s or dozens of players you can meet inside the game. Same with many action RPGs. I'm not looking for an action RPG, I'm looking for an online only MMO game like PoE, Marvel Heroes and Devilian are.

Also, look up at MMORPG.com if you aren't on mobile, MMORPG.com calls PoE an MMO straight in their description. Massively also calls it an MMO.
    Excession

edited September 2017

And just as many sites don't refer to it as an MMORPG.  But this has been explained to you, hasn't it?

You just want to keep stirring the shit.  So I'll keep calling you out.  See how that works?
    so you admit your harrassing me. Why aren't you complaining on the forums about what MMORPG.com calls it (and Destiny 2) in their description? Why only target me?
    Excession

so you admit your harrassing me. Why aren't you complaining on the forums about what MMORPG.com calls it (and Destiny 2) in their description? Why only target me?
    Because your post history clearly indicates you bait folks.  You've posted two different threads supporting two clearly opposing viewpoints before.

You're not queuing for a cross-realm LFG here.  Your past actions matter.  It's called a reputation.  Life's a bitch, huh?
    PhryGdemami

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I love how this thread devolved into such a shit show over what someone called it. Like who cares. If I said any other games like X and some people thought it was Y, i still wouldn't even give a crap of the definition. 

Whether it is an MMORPG or ARPG or whatever, perhaps, some definitions overlap, either way, why even bother arguing about it. 

The only thing worth arguing about is politics . . . only because it affects people's life. Then again, we can't do that here. 

Anyway, I'd have trouble trying out other ARPG's, it's like, if i am happy with PoE, which I am, why try other ones. I know it's a close minded look as i'd try other MMO's. But ARPG's, I don't really want to try anything, sometimes, I wonder why I even play PoE . . . then again, I have periods in my life why I wonder why I even play video games. 

Peace, 

Cryomatrix

Excession
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Because your post history clearly indicates you bait folks.  You've posted two different threads supporting two clearly opposing viewpoints before.

You're not queuing for a cross-realm LFG here.  Your past actions matter.  It's called a reputation.  Life's a bitch, huh?
    He's a alt-fact barbie girl living in an alt-fact orange barbie world.
    [Deleted User]PhryMadFrenchie
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    edited September 2017
    While the games you listed as single player are not MMORPG's they are definitely not "single player" focused only and many have some amount of scaling depending how many people are playing with you. They are usually focused for up to 4 players together though as is typical with ARPGs. Titan Quest Anniversary Edition is not "just single player" either. Torchlight 1 is the only one you mentioned that is literally single player focused only.

Do not discount co-op ARPG's simply because they are not "MMORPG"s" as Path Of Exile isn't really when you break it down it is either solo focused or co-op. The maps are not "open world" where everyone is co-mingling unless you are playing with friends and then it is the typical ARPG group setup. 

To put simply while towns in POE can have a few people many ARPG's have chat systems and the like and you could make an open multiplayer game if you really really want to meet other people. Frankly I enjoy the hell out of ARPG's with friends and you really can't go wrong with it. 
    BruceYeeKyleran
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    MMO != MMORPG

You may enjoy Marvel Heroes, especially if you are a fan of their comics. It is a fairly simple game, more akin to Diablo III in complexity and variety than PoE as far as build options, but a much larger roster of character types than either, as each hero is a character type in itself.

If you're looking for something casual in play and you just want to wipe out droves of goons and defeat a fair variety of Marvel villains it does the job.

The way it handles f2p is decent. Though you have to select from a pool of starter characters it does not take long to earn enough of the required in game currency to get access to a character more to your liking.

It also isn't all that spamish, so you won't have a bunch of dross popping up on your screen when you're trying to play.

The areas are capable of containing a good number of concurrent characters so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding others to play with if you wish. However, there doesn't seem quite as many around as there once was.

There hasn't been much new lately, as well, but I suspect that is due to Gazillion getting the console versions in order. For someone new that won't be much of a bother.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

There's your witch build that got me in the early 90s

Beyond that, PoE is probably the best (imo obviously) ARPG out there right now. However, one of its major weaknesses is the inability to integrate multiplayer gameplay the way Diablo III managed to do. So, if you are actually interested in the multiplayer aspect above everything else, you should consider a game other than PoE.
    Kyleran
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    diablo 3 if you haven't played it yet. dont think there is many other ones any were near as good

Forgrimm said:
    If you want an actual MMO (which Path of Exile isn't), Marvel Heroes.
    It's pretty obvious why he created the thread. Starting to wonder if Narius bought his account.
    quoting this in case you edit the post (though pretty sure mods/admins can see what the edit was before anyway)
    Excession

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    this is why I dont come to mmorpg.com very often anymore lol
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    ianicus said:
    yeah. I dunno why a small group of people decided to come harass me. This thread started to find games like PoE that are MMO-lite or whatever you want to call it. But then they went on a campaign to harass me in every thread I make lol. Hopefully they get banned (even if temporary) and the moderator(s)/admin does something.
    KyleranGdemamiExcession

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    ianicus said:
    yeah. I dunno why a small group of people decided to come harass me. This thread started to find games like PoE that are MMO-lite or whatever you want to call it. But then they went on a campaign to harass me in every thread I make lol. Hopefully they get banned (even if temporary) and the moderator(s)/admin does something.
    You got the response you were looking for and you are at equal risk of moderation for creating multiple threads baiting others into the same argument.

Here, I'll help you out, here's how you should have started your OP:

Anyone know of an ARPG like POE, with a greater online presence than is typical?

Then the entire conversion would likely have ended in about 6 posts.

But like I said, that was never your intention.
    GdemamiExcession

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    cesmode8 said:

This site considers literally any online game an MMO. 

POE is not an MMO.  It is an ARPG.

MMO and ARPG aren't mutually exclusive - they'd be called MMO ARPGs :)

But none of the current crop of ARPGs quite fit the criteria for me.
    Kyleran
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • darren28darren28 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    No ARPG is an MMORPG hence why it is called ARPG.
    FrodoFragins
    My free 7 day sub referral with other goodies http://www.swtor.com/r/vGSnnl
    Amazon has a much better deal for Sub price just search for this on Amazon
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Premium Pack