Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Checking in with Red Mage and Samurai - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Checking in with Red Mage and Samurai - MMORPG.com

When Stormblood came out, the very first thing I wrote about was Samurai. New jobs excite me more than anything else, and both SAM and Red Mage have changed FFXIV for the better. It’s been about four months now, and with 4.1 — the first major content patch — coming out on October 10th, I thought now would be a good time to check in with the new additions now the dust has settled and people have (mostly) figured out how jobs are going to play from here on out.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I've been really busy with other games so still haven't had a chance to play this expansion. I would like to sometime in the future though. Got two questions for those of you playing it.

First: How is the ability pruning? Did they do a good combination of reducing skill bloat, but also keeping enough interesting abilities to still have a good rotation and unique feel to the classes? Or do you feel like they snipped too many abilities?

Second: For those of you playing a Dark Knight. Is the class doing well in the expansion, or is it a less preferred tank over the other tanks? Did they reduce this classes skill bloat well in your opinion? Or do you feel like you lost something with this expansion? This was my main in heavensward so I'll most likely play it again when I come back. Just hoping to hear some first hand experience about the class.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I've been really busy with other games so still haven't had a chance to play this expansion. I would like to sometime in the future though. Got two questions for those of you playing it.

First: How is the ability pruning? Did they do a good combination of reducing skill bloat, but also keeping enough interesting abilities to still have a good rotation and unique feel to the classes? Or do you feel like they snipped too many abilities?

Second: For those of you playing a Dark Knight. Is the class doing well in the expansion, or is it a less preferred tank over the other tanks? Did they reduce this classes skill bloat well in your opinion? Or do you feel like you lost something with this expansion? This was my main in heavensward so I'll most likely play it again when I come back. Just hoping to hear some first hand experience about the class.

They removed some of the laborious parts of building your hotbar, but in terms of reducing bloat they've just brought it back to where it was by slowing down the pace at which you get certain abilities or collapsing one into another.

The overall amount of buttons has not changed, the goal post simply moved.

It will be interesting to see what they do with future expansions, but I have a feeling the can will just continue to be kicked/goal posts moved.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    On every site I visit I've been seeing ads featuring the RDM and it's getting really hard to ignore. Aesthetically, they might be one of my favorite classes in the genre.

I'm also very interested in the SAM. Even though I always seem to pick the class that brings nothing but DPS to group content, I also always seem to pick the classes that require the extra effort to play well. Maybe something a little easier will lower the pressure and help me stick around a bit longer.
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Dagon13 said:

On every site I visit I've been seeing ads featuring the RDM and it's getting really hard to ignore. Aesthetically, they might be one of my favorite classes in the genre.

I'm also very interested in the SAM. Even though I always seem to pick the class that brings nothing but DPS to group content, I also always seem to pick the classes that require the extra effort to play well. Maybe something a little easier will lower the pressure and help me stick around a bit longer.

I picked Dragoon as my main at the relaunch of the game, with the class changes during Stormblood I really don't like how tedious they are.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    didnt experience one single class as fun to play. I dont know but they feel all the same. Same package, different skin (casters).
    Mensur
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    edited September 2017
    I'm hoping the new PvP set up is a test for what they plan to do with the classes. I love how combos are tied to one button and change based on number of presses. As far as RDM goes, it was an easy switch. The whole job oozes style.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms