Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shooting Stars – Our Destiny 2 (PS4) Review - Destiny 2 Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageShooting Stars – Our Destiny 2 (PS4) Review - Destiny 2 Review - MMORPG.com

At its core, Destiny 2 is a game about shooting and looting. Admittedly, Bungie’s latest effort does a superb job at this, giving us the opportunity to shoot a variety of aliens in an incredibly satisfying manner, amongst gorgeous surroundings, and in all manner of ways. It’s enshrouded in a compelling and immersive mythos, with a breadcrumb trail of loot rewards to urge us ever onwards. But is it enough? The time has come to finally weigh in, as this is our Destiny 2 (PS4) review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    You know what's funny, the music score in this game can make pretty much ANYTHING feel epic. I was playing a track from youtube while doing some dailies and it felt so much better lol. The music is very well done in this game, I will say that.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711Murmaider
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Hopefully the PC version isn't a crappy port of the console version.
    Samhael
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    They updated Destiny and put a 2 at the end.....that is the definition of new these days.
    Octagon7711pantaroPhixion13
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Forgrimm said:

Hopefully the PC version isn't a crappy port of the console version.

From everyone's reactions so far, people think the PC version will be the best of all. From beta, I'm inclined to agree.
    ForgrimmOctagon7711Gazimoff

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    its kinda sad that almost everyone follows up with the same shitty reviews about d2, only a handful of people try and speak the truth ... almost everything else is blind paid shit.
    If you have 50 minutes to spare you better watch the review of skill up on yt.
    CrazKanukGazimoff

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

nepulas said:
    its kinda sad that almost everyone follows up with the same shitty reviews about d2, only a handful of people try and speak the truth ... almost everything else is blind paid shit.
    No.
    [Deleted User]LucienReneGazimoffinfomatz
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    nepulas said:

What's most sad is that people continue to believe that these games get good scores because they are paid for. Remember that Destiny 2 likely had pre-sales in the millions. On top of that, despite mediocre reviews, every single one of Destiny's original expansions hit number 1 in sales charts. That's fucking insane! They don't need to pay for reviews. 

I can appreciate that you don't agree with the review, but you didn't offer any insight into that other than trying to suggest that they are somehow being untruthful. I would say that the vast majority of people who BOUGHT Destiny 2 are quite happy with it. 
    [Deleted User]GazimoffPhixion13sschrupp

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

From everyone's reactions so far, people think the PC version will be the best of all. From beta, I'm inclined to agree.
    Torval said:

If the PC beta was any indication it is not a crappy port. It feels like a PC game. The whole "PC gets the first class" treatment is true except for the 1 month delay. Stupid console overlords. :lol: 

Seriously it feels right on PC with kb/m. I didn't get to try with the Xbox controller though. I'd like to do that, but I'm not sure if I can do shooter with a controller being PCMR and all. I'm just programmed that way. :smirk:
    Awesome, I'm looking forward to it.
    [Deleted User]
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    I don't know, to me, feel the game is just a rehash/reboot of the last game. Just my opinion.

I was hoping the story would have been more enhanced, but still lacks like the last, everything very vague, characters and enemies have no feeling or any reason you should care about them.

After 3 years of playing both games, I don't think anyone can tell me who or what the traveler actually is. For something that is such a center piece we know nothing about it to date.

To me, i just feel like everything is just to set up for DLC/unnecessarily streamlined, again, that's me. I'm not a fan, but many maybe are.

• nepulasnepulas Member UncommonPosts: 218
    edited September 2017

CrazKanuk said:

nepulas said:

What's most sad is that people continue to believe that these games get good scores because they are paid for. Remember that Destiny 2 likely had pre-sales in the millions. On top of that, despite mediocre reviews, every single one of Destiny's original expansions hit number 1 in sales charts. That's fucking insane! They don't need to pay for reviews. 

I can appreciate that you don't agree with the review, but you didn't offer any insight into that other than trying to suggest that they are somehow being untruthful. I would say that the vast majority of people who BOUGHT Destiny 2 are quite happy with it. 

Well no, scrap the paid thing... most of the reviews are just bad, people don t really care for depth and quality anymore thats the problem.D2 is just a D1.5 with even less need to replay the content because the itemization is not that important anymore, its even more casual than D1.
    On top of this you have the horrible netcode with p2p system, that might be ok in pve but is absolut horrible in pvp ... go ahead ask on reddit everyone will tell you don t play it for the pvp ... its a horrible experience and if people tell you that its perfect blabla, they just don t know better ... they never played any comp fps game with a very good netcode.
    like i said watch the yt video, i mean just listen to it ... he is telling the truth from start to finish, everything is spot on.
    In the end D2 will be a good game at some point except the netcode p2p shit, that is unacceptable these days, but they have a long way to go and like angryjoe sad its a 6/10 not more not less.
    [Deleted User]RexKushmanGazimoff

Retired : Daoc , Warhammer , WoW , Lotro , Tabula Rasa , Everquest 2 , Aion, Eve , AoC , SW:Tor ( failwars ), Planetside 2
    Waiting : Star Citizen
    Playing : Star Citizen
    FPS : Overwatch

Yt chan : https://www.youtube.com/user/raine187

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2017
    Negative reviews tend to pull in more views on youtube at least for this game at least, mainly because of destiny's following and the knights in white that are in there. You do have youtubers who give a fair "rating" on the console version like Angry Joe, but its like hearing anything negative is auto-bashing a title in the minds of knights in white. Heaven forbid that a company needs constructive criticism.
    [Deleted User]
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited September 2017
    nepulas said:

CrazKanuk said:

nepulas said:

Well no, scrap the paid thing... most of the reviews are just bad, people don t really care for depth and quality anymore thats the problem.D2 is just a D1.5 with even less need to replay the content because the itemization is not that important anymore, its even more casual than D1.
    On top of this you have the horrible netcode with p2p system, that might be ok in pve but is absolut horrible in pvp ... go ahead ask on reddit everyone will tell you don t play it for the pvp ... its a horrible experience and if people tell you that its perfect blabla, they just don t know better ... they never played any comp fps game with a very good netcode.
    like i said watch the yt video, i mean just listen to it ... he is telling the truth from start to finish, everything is spot on.
    In the end D2 will be a good game at some point except the netcode p2p shit, that is unacceptable these days, but they have a long way to go and like angryjoe sad its a 6/10 not more not less.

I did. Here's the thing, though. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Here's a data point to consider. Of the 90 or so critic reviews on Metacritic, less than a handful are below 75, and NONE are the 6/10 that Angry Joe believes this game is.

Let me toss out another crazy theory. ALSO based on metacritic, we can see that there is plenty of hate out there. So instead of giving HONEST reviews, is it completely inconceivable that maybe, JUST MAYBE, some of these reviewers have decided to stand out by tagging their reviews as "Honest" and then harping on some of the weaker points of otherwise strong games? Keep in mind that the guy's name is ANGRY Joe, it's not Critical Thinking Joe, or Logical Joe. It's his whole schtick. 

Sure! There will always be people out there who hate a game for one reason or another, and there are others who will enable Internet users by telling them things like the "netcode p2p is horrible", but the reality is that if you asked 99% of those people, they probably wouldn't be able to explain what netcode is, why it's horrible and give you any sort of suggestions to improving on it. Why? Because they don't know anything other than they were told something by some YouTuber they get a kick out of watching. It's a sad state, but that's just how it is. That's the HONEST reivew ;)
    SpottyGekko[Deleted User]LucienReneinfomatz

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I can see staggering the pc launch. Most people want to play the game right away so rather than wait they buy a console version. When pc version comes out they buy that also. So instead of just buying the pc version they now buy two or three versions.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• spidiispidii Member UncommonPosts: 143
    The only other cons for me is the lack of PvP modes (and fireteam size, can't go PvP with your raid group after raid, no 6v6) and the lack of content. There is very little to do and it's way too easy to max out light. It's also really easy to get all of the exotics (of which they have very little) and they took away a lot of the interesting perks and itemization from the original Destiny, even the raid gear has nothing unique. I really wish they would get their progression to a place where drops feel rewarding and important. I have no issue with the rate at which they give this stuff out, it's great to be rewarded without too much of a grind but they really needed to have more to give. I could come up with 30 unique exotics in 20 minutes etc... I just don't know why there isn't much to earn in the game.

It's also a bit tough to call something a "raid" when there's only one boss fight in there but what can you do? It's bittersweet because the gameplay is addicting, the gunplay is excellent, the music, art direction, everything else is on point. They just don't nail down the MMO (or even RPG) elements of the game well enough to keep me interested. Damn shame. PC might have better timing with the new stuff dropping in December/January but even then, they'll probably be waiting a month for content themselves as it doesn't take much time investment to finish the game up unfortunately. It sure will look pretty though :)
    Gazimoff
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    8.5 is kind, like very very very kind, but to each their own
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Destiny 1 was a DLC nightmare. I expect Destiny 2 to be milked in the same way.