Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best Cancelled MMOs of All Time - The List - MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited September 2017
    Kyleran said:
    I think Im the only one on the planet that didnt like CoH...I just could not get into it.
    Right there with you, tried it at launch and when CoV launched, both times I just didn't see the draw.

For me the draw was the community. 
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Have to say I'm getting tired of seeing lists like this.
    TheScavenger

imageimage

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    TaishiFox said:
    Have to say I'm getting tired of seeing lists like this.
    Field and Stream web site that way -->

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    I still miss COH ... My favorite one from the list. ...
    swg is the most overhyped game ever created.  Those still holding on to this epic failure as your gold star of a video game in my opinion have no business talking about video games. 

SWG did a lot of things right and first. It placed you in the world of Star Wars, you got to do what you wanted. Most MMO's now play the you are the hero card (Just like everyone else) be the chosen one (like everyone else).
    SWG broke a lot of ground for those games that came after it. Sometimes the greatest thing you can be is a mistake for others not to follow.
    Sometimes the greatest thing you can be is a mistake for others not to follow

that worth keeping  as a quote to spread around in signatures.

i enjoy swg but it was bare, vast an empty world the players did give it life but i felt like their was no real game, just us running around. i only stuck around for couple months so mit got better with time but i was not their for it.
    Kyleran

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Kravis said:

I will never forgive NCSoft for the COH shutdown!

To this day I have never touched another NCSoft game.

Blaze_Rocker

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I cannot believe these guys put "Auto Assault" before Phantasy Star Online

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Kyleran said:
    I think Im the only one on the planet that didnt like CoH...I just could not get into it.
    Right there with you, tried it at launch and when CoV launched, both times I just didn't see the draw.

Actually the game didn't get REALLY good until Paragon Studios took over development, which was 2 issues after CoV.  It was really niche before that, but Paragon added diversity of playable characters and powers, fixed things that should have been fixed years before, and drastically filled out and expanded the storyline.  So if you quit a couple of months after the release CoV, you missed the best part of the game!

But, even at its best, CoX was never more that a niche game.  But it was a really big niche!
    Kyleran

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited September 2017
    GladDog said:
    Kyleran said:

Actually the game didn't get REALLY good until Paragon Studios took over development, which was 2 issues after CoV.  It was really niche before that, but Paragon added diversity of playable characters and powers, fixed things that should have been fixed years before, and drastically filled out and expanded the storyline.  So if you quit a couple of months after the release CoV, you missed the best part of the game!

But, even at its best, CoX was never more that a niche game.  But it was a really big niche!
    One thing I suspect may have been a mistake on my part was playing new MMORPGs at launch.

As I am a "one and done" type of person, meaning I almost never go back to a game once I've set them aside, likely I never played many games in their best state.

Vanguard, ESO,  AOC are just a few which changed and reportedly improved significantly post launch, but I never played them due to unfavorable play the first time.

Two of my all time favorites (EVE and DAOC) I tried quite some time post release (3 and 1 year) and I have over 8 yrs paid sub time in EVE (up to six accounts) and over five years for DAOC. (Up to 5 accounts) 

Only exception was WOW, joined it at launch, played 9 months, took 6 months off came back for 8 more and quit with the launch of BC imminent.  Returned for one month during Cata expansion which convinced me my original reasons for quitting were still valid.

So perhaps I did miss the best years of CoX and many others, which is why my current policy is to buy no games earlier than at least 6 months to a year post launch. 

With so many titles in never ending early access I've got quite a wait ahead of me I suspect.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I'm surprised that WAR made the list. I can understand how it would make a "missed potential" type list, but best cancelled?

WAR only had 2 things going for it: class design and combat mechanics.

Every class was unique, they all looked and played very differently from one another. The combat mechanics then meshed perfectly with the class design so that group vs group combat was extremely fun, resulting in some epic pvp. I got a lot of fun from the game for those two reasons alone.

But, everything else sucked. World design? Cheesy and jam-packed, giving it a very artificial feel. PvE? Sucked, just spammy dps races. Crafting? virtually non-existent. Sieges? Gods, how can you say sieges were fun?!?! In 90% of sieges, u just stood around while a team brought down the doors with rams - boring if you were watching, even more boring if you were on the ram. This would be followed by 5 minutes of zerging through the doors. You could sometimes find fun on the fringes of a siege, but that was rare. Perhaps it was because I played a tank, but I hated sieges. Loot? terrible loot mechanics and even worse vertical scaling resulting in massive imbalances.
    I'm surprised that WAR made the list. I can understand how it would make a "missed potential" type list, but best cancelled?

Every class was unique, they all looked and played very differently from one another. The combat mechanics then meshed perfectly with the class design so that group vs group combat was extremely fun, resulting in some epic pvp. I got a lot of fun from the game for those two reasons alone.

But, everything else sucked. World design? Cheesy and jam-packed, giving it a very artificial feel. PvE? Sucked, just spammy dps races. Crafting? virtually non-existent. Sieges? Gods, how can you say sieges were fun?!?! In 90% of sieges, u just stood around while a team brought down the doors with rams - boring if you were watching, even more boring if you were on the ram. This would be followed by 5 minutes of zerging through the doors. You could sometimes find fun on the fringes of a siege, but that was rare. Perhaps it was because I played a tank, but I hated sieges. Loot? terrible loot mechanics and even worse vertical scaling resulting in massive imbalances.
    Tanks are always terrible to play in seiges,  ranged rules until the doors are breached. 

Now get back on that ram and get this damn door open. ;)

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Kyleran said:

Tanks are always terrible to play in seiges,  ranged rules until the doors are breached. 

Now get back on that ram and get this damn door open. ;)

If sieges are only fun for ranged DPS classes, then they've been badly designed!

Even then, I played a squig herder for a while and sieges were still boring! Plink a few arrows, then duck out of sight to regen, repeat....