Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - The Six Big Wins for Path of Fire - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's worth it if only for the mounts.  Still playing around with the elites but tend to always fall back on HoT elites.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited September 2017
    I'm still bitter about the game locking up in the final battle of the launch HoT story.  The dude just floated off to the side where I couldn't do any damage. 

Does anyone know if you still have to do like three tedious fights before the final boss or if they added a checkpoint system?

Between that and not being able to  find groups for those hero points(I'm not sure what they are called) that required groups  to down.  I started the expansion a month late so groups were hard to find as people were farming for gear.  I believe they eventually added a group finder for those things as well.

Anyway I love the way the game looks and the story though.  I loved exploring in that game, something I never even liked in Skyrim.  I wasn't a fan of WvWvW or dungeons in the game and so I quit out of frustration.

Jesus man, it is the last battle and Mordremoth is the mind dragon. That is how you kill him - you have 3 people there (your 2 NPC's you choose and yourself) to kill him. He uses your Psychic weaknesses against you. I guess you didn't understand the whole story until then. 

This is the issue. People complain but don't really understand what is going on.

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206

CheechGLG said:

Fuck all for WvW yet again

WvW releases are not related to expansions.
    We got some good updates right before PoF ,and we will keep getting updates.
    Rockard said:

CheechGLG said:

Fuck all for WvW yet again

WvW releases are not related to expansions.
    We got some good updates right before PoF ,and we will keep getting updates.

We got the new BL, they added gliders, etc. I guess you haven't played in a while. They are at least trying.

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Until they get that eater of souls fight fixed so it's possible to do without bugging it out... or at least so you don't have to spend an hour fighting the most difficult fight of your life only to lose all that work because you couldn't beat THE NEXT boss ... yeah, I'm done.
  • DiovidDiovid Member UncommonPosts: 44
    reillan said:
    Until they get that eater of souls fight fixed so it's possible to do without bugging it out... or at least so you don't have to spend an hour fighting the most difficult fight of your life only to lose all that work because you couldn't beat THE NEXT boss ... yeah, I'm done.
    I beat him quite easily by breaking his bar a few times. Or is breaking a breakbar called bugging something out now? Wouldn't suprise me since so few people seem to understand breakbars.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    reillan said:
    I don't know what you're talking about. That fight was quite easy...
    edited September 2017
    If you run him over by the guy locked in the cage he will get hung up in the cage and even trapped inside. Allowing you to easily range him to death. Someone even said they saw a YouTube video on it. But if you want a fair fight, just wait I'm sure they will tone him down as I see a lot of people complain about him on the regular forums.

I'm actually starting to like PoF. Once you complete the story and unlock the mounts, especially the Griffon and get use to managing all the junk drops, exploration becomes fun like it was in the base game. I'm enjoying the game a lot more on my alts after completing the unlocks on my main. Haven't been back to try it out in HoT but it should be interesting.

Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    What are some of the better new elite specs? I haven't decided which character to use the max level token on.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Ginaz said:
    What are some of the better new elite specs? I haven't decided which character to use the max level token on.
    I'm finding that most people seem to like the Weaver and Holosmith the most, and you can't really go wrong with Elementalists in terms of viability or gameplay variety. Weaver has a pretty heavy dps and tank leaning if you want to go that route, while Holosmith is more dps focused.

I'm also really a fan of the Firebrand's gameplay so far, though it still has issues with mobility and Mantra ranges. It's a good option if you want to focus on condition damage, healing, and high Quickness uptime. 

Scourges are strong but their playstyle can be clunky and takes time to get used to. They are less survivable than traditional Necromancers/Reapers, but they make up for that with heavy use of the new Barrier mechanic. They can also proc the Necromancer's staple heal/revive trait (Transfusion) from a distance using their F4 skill on their sand shades. This also comes with the unique ability to trigger Transfusion on themselves. 

As far as I'm aware, the only class that people are generally not enjoying at the moment is the Deadeye. It's a much more PvP focused class that particularly struggles in solo PvE content. This might also be true of the Spellbreaker to a lesser degree, but I find that the Spellbreaker has excellent might stacking on its new mainhand dagger. 
    edited October 2017
    Holosmith has been the only PoF Elite I like and will stay with so far.  Reaper is great for going through the story for the first time.  Druid has been good also. 
    Heard Firebrand took a nerf bug fix.

Guardian—Legendary Lore: Fixed a bug in which this trait affected the Quickfire trait. Legendary Lore no longer increases the quantity of burning inflicted by Tome of Justice skills by 1; it now increases the base duration (which is affected by Expertise) by 20%.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I was really hoping for a Guildwars 3 so they possibly change the skill system back to the way Guildwars 1 was. Where we had complete customization of builds. I have never liked the Guildwars 2 build system. But it seems like they are just trying to be like WoW and just keep making expansions instead of a whole new game.
    edited October 2017

Wedlen said:

I was really hoping for a Guildwars 3 so they possibly change the skill system back to the way Guildwars 1 was. Where we had complete customization of builds. I have never liked the Guildwars 2 build system. But it seems like they are just trying to be like WoW and just keep making expansions instead of a whole new game.

They will not go back to GW1 - too many issues, too hard to balance. It will not go back. I wish people would stop trying to push the Crap build system in GW1 (only thing worthwhile was the templates and that is it) system on GW2.

Come on - 55 HP Necro, 55 HP monk, 55 HP Assassin? Those were just ways to game the system - is was a poor design.
    Nepheth

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Ginaz said:
    I've been really enjoying Scourge and Firebrand. Mirage feels clunky, like a gimped Thief. Spellbreaker is decent as well.

If you're looking for support Firebrand or Scourge, easily. They're really strong right now. Spellbreaker is more of a brawler focused on PvP/WvW. Still need to try the rest. I wouldn't recommend Mirage currently.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Diovid said:
    reillan said:
    I beat him quite easily by breaking his bar a few times. Or is breaking a breakbar called bugging something out now? Wouldn't suprise me since so few people seem to understand breakbars.
    Some classes builds don't have the CC required to break his bar. You need something that does lots of breakbar damage in under 1 seconds because that's about how long the breakbar stays up. And lets not talk about being unable to open inventory which means you are stuck with the weapons you had when you entered the instance with. On my core Guardian, my only option was shield #5. Spirit hammer is too slow to act, I tried it. I've read some people claim that you could "cleanse" the effect, but while it remove the icon it doesn't stop the health sucking/healing from happening (I tried that too).
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    azarhal said:
    Diovid said:
    reillan said:
    Some classes builds don't have the CC required to break his bar. You need something that does lots of breakbar damage in under 1 seconds because that's about how long the breakbar stays up. And lets not talk about being unable to open inventory which means you are stuck with the weapons you had when you entered the instance with. On my core Guardian, my only option was shield #5. Spirit hammer is too slow to act, I tried it. I've read some people claim that you could "cleanse" the effect, but while it remove the icon it doesn't stop the health sucking/healing from happening (I tried that too).
    I went into it with a Necromancer minion build. I ended up logging out during the fight. I was already frustrated though because the long fight before the soul eater logged me out twice before finally launching the cut scene and moving on.
    azarhal said:
    Diovid said:
    reillan said:
    I beat this encounter on a poorly geared (berserker gear), melee only Firebrand. Without breaking his break bar.

The trick is to move far enough away from the boss to break his tether when he attempts to drain you. Use aegis/blocks/dodges to prevent his life drain ticks until you can break the distance threshhold. 
    botrytis said:

Wedlen said:

They will not go back to GW1 - too many issues, too hard to balance. It will not go back. I wish people would stop trying to push the Crap build system in GW1 (only thing worthwhile was the templates and that is it) system on GW2.

Come on - 55 HP Necro, 55 HP monk, 55 HP Assassin? Those were just ways to game the system - is was a poor design.
    If by poor design you actually mean that an unintended interaction of several interesting, solid mechanics (Protective Spirit and a rune system with an hp tradeoff), then yes, there were a few outlying issues with the system. Fact is, there were legitimately bad skills in Guild Wars 1 (Second Wind being the most poorly designed, useless skill that I can think of), but the percentage of viable skills in Guild Wars 1 would be comparable to those of Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 has entire weapon lines that are outright useless or gimmicky (Guardian staff and Warrior rifle, for example). 

Frankly, both of you are right and wrong. What Guild Wars 3 needs is a middle-ground. Guild Wars 1 offered depth and freedom, but needed direction. Guild Wars 2's build system has direction, but somewhat lacks depth and freedom. I would compromise by expanding the skill pool to a manageable middle ground between the two.

The typical Guild Wars 2 class has around 20 utilities, give or take. I would expand this to about 30 baseline utilities, 7 baseline healing options (up from 4), and 7 baseline elite skills (up from 3). I would then launch with two elite specializations per profession in the core game to make choices an immediate thing.

I would then expand the trait choices per major trait column from 3 to 5. The current trait system is actually the best part of the game's class system, IMO, but could use more options.

And most importantly, I would make weapons more flexible. Having thematic skills behind weapons is important, but there should be alternatives for each weapon. Instead of having 5 locked skills, each weapon should have 1 chain slot and 4 skill slots with 2 chains and 8 slot skills to choose from. Weapons are by far the worst part of Guild Wars 2's build system, but having some flexibility within each weapon would work wonders. 

This might result in a lower baseline of classes in the base game if the increased effort means fewer classes can be made. Guild Wars 2 launched with 8. Guild Wars 3 could easily get away with 4-6, if each was more fleshed out. This would then come with an additional class per expansion (with the full number of elite specializations available) until the desired number was reached. 

This would also have the added benefit of making expansions much more exciting. The game could launch, for example, with the basic Warrior, Elementalist, Guardian, and Ranger, then introduce new and improved versions of the Mesmer and Necromancer with its first two expansions. By the time the game reached the current Guild Wars 2 class pool, the game would be old and established with plenty of room for completely new class archetypes on the horizon. 
    No underwater mounts. This team has pretty much given up on underwater combat and have added very little underwater content it seems. It was one of the things I really liked about GW2.

No underwater mounts. This team has pretty much given up on underwater combat and have added very little underwater content it seems. It was one of the things I really liked about GW2.
    To be fair, do you really expect an underwater mount in the desert?

If we're ever going to get one, it would be more likely with an expansion centered around "Steve," the unrevealed deep sea dragon. 
    Nepheth

Aeander said:

If we're ever going to get one, it would be more likely with an expansion centered around "Steve," the unrevealed deep sea dragon. 

I would think it's fair as mounts can be used in Tyria and HoT and the dessert is next to the shore in a few areas. The Skinner could have had an underwater skill added for example. But it's just a thought. I'm very happy with the Griffon.

Aeander said:

I would think it's fair as mounts can be used in Tyria and HoT and the dessert is next to the shore in a few areas. The Skinner could have had an underwater skill added for example. But it's just a thought. I'm very happy with the Griffon.
    I agree, of course. Though instead of retrofitting the skimmer, why not add a shark? 
    Octagon7711