Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Five Things Blizzard Needs to Leave Behind in Legion - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft - Five Things Blizzard Needs to Leave Behind in Legion - MMORPG.com

I’ve started thinking about the things that have plagued Legion over the course of the past year and have come up with five things that Blizzard needs to leave behind in order to hopefully bring back some of what has made World of Warcraft so special over its decade + of existence.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Only need 4.

1. Cata
    2. MoP
    3. WoD
    4, Legion
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonGnogborghive49qomaSirAgravainedeniterGaladourn
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2017
    I dont get why they were so stupid about titanforging. That was the perfect spot to bring valor points back. They can keep titanforging, but just let people use valor points to push to ilvl until maxed titanforge so you dont feel like crap when you get better gear from heroic vs mythic just because of luck on the titanforge. And stop stripping crafts. Every single expansion since MoP has been stripping crafts of something for no reason. You can barely enchant anything with enchanting. Blacksmithing can't make weapons because of the artifact system. Whether people want to admit it or not, the changes to inscription was just stupid. List goes on and on.
    jpedrote52ThupliXingbairongZenerenborghive49infomatzwinghaven1qomadeniter
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112

Albatroes said:

I dont get why they were so stupid about titanforging. That was the perfect spot to bring valor points back. They can keep titanforging, but just let people use valor points to push to ilvl until maxed titanforge so you dont feel like crap when you get better gear from heroic vs mythic just because of luck on the titanforge. And stop stripping crafts. Every single expansion since MoP has been stripping crafts of something for no reason. You can barely enchant anything with enchanting. Blacksmithing can't make weapons because of the artifact system. Whether people want to admit it or not, the changes to inscription was just stupid. List goes on and on.

Also, they already had a good system for valor point upgrades in MoP, you could upgrade an item up to 4 times giving it more stats. They need to drop the shitty daily or weekly cap from currencies, and let players grinding at will.

Agree with the list, Titanforging made me quit the game (along with the ability prune and the shitty progression paths) If i'm doing the hardest content in the game, the fucking items that drop, should never have a "crap version" themselves.....
  • SadfistSadfist Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Strongly disagree with the 3rd. Also, I was surprisingly enjoying Artifacts
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Sadfist said:
    Open leveling zones are fine. Open leveling zones without the thread of a cohesive story line are not.
    MrMelGibsonKeldor837Geddon95405Tokkenmike32927wandericainfomatzRPGeniedcarvan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Albatroes said:

Also, they already had a good system for valor point upgrades in MoP, you could upgrade an item up to 4 times giving it more stats. They need to drop the shitty daily or weekly cap from currencies, and let players grinding at will.

Agree with the list, Titanforging made me quit the game (along with the ability prune and the shitty progression paths) If i'm doing the hardest content in the game, the fucking items that drop, should never have a "crap version" themselves.....

That's actually a perfect point now that I think about it. That was pretty much titanforging back then. I honestly feel like they should've take the gear out of world quests and just left it as a chance from the world boss ones only. No matter how many times they scaled the ilvl up in dungeons, anything pre-mythic was pretty much a waste of time aside for running some just for the crafted legendary quests that you could complete some on heroic even though the quest said mythic.
  • RadamentX0XRadamentX0X Member CommonPosts: 2
    Giving us an Artifact in Legion...a weapon of great power and story tied to it....and than making us ditch them in next expansion to use ordinary weapons again would be such underwhelming move by Blizzard and alltogether just stupid. I strongly disagree and consider that we should keep using our Artifacts and Blizz should work on and improve the system around them...and ofc work earlier on alt catch up mechanic for them like they implemented in 7.3.
    murph0613pantaro
    The next expansion can start with everyone waking up in Shattrath at level 70 again and just call it all one big bad dream.
    [Deleted User]ThupliXingbairong[Deleted User]murph0613laseritBruceYeeTsiyaGnogPhloomand 8 others.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    The only thing I want removed is the thing since WoD that they keep trying to implement where you send units out on missions. It's the dumbest thing ever, I don't see any point and it's just a waste of time for me to always have to go check back over and over whenever things are done. I can play phone games on my phone.
    [Deleted User]BruceYeemike32927Gnogborghive49deniter
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    It's hard to disagree with anything on your list especially concerning the added loot rng, legendaries and artifact weapons.

I much preferred the gear system from earlier expansions when you knew which items to target and didn't feel obligated to do uninteresting content because you never know you may get lucky with a Titanforge.

The unbalance at the start of the expansion caused by getting "the wrong" legendary almost killed the expansion for me being a raider as did the feeling you had to grind AP 24/7 to stay competitive.

Blizzcon this year is probably going to be the deciding factor on whether it's time for me to move on if the current trend continues.
    SBFordThuplimike32927
    Giving us an Artifact in Legion...a weapon of great power and story tied to it....and than making us ditch them in next expansion to use ordinary weapons again would be such underwhelming move by Blizzard and alltogether just stupid. I strongly disagree and consider that we should keep using our Artifacts and Blizz should work on and improve the system around them...and ofc work earlier on alt catch up mechanic for them like they implemented in 7.3.
    From a lore perspective, its easy enough to move on without artifacts by simply destroying them all in the final conflict given how powerful the enemies you end up facing are supposed to be. Well all weapons except one but I wont spoil that. The real problem is persistence which Blizzard will never do and by persistence I mean actually taking something and it carries over into future content, like the merit system in FFXI or the AA system in EQ, where it was built upon for future content. Even EQ2 has a way to quell the gap with their boost system by allowing you a set number of points when you boost so you're not completely behind people if you're new. Which leads me to the real flaw in the artifact system which was power. AP would've worked better if it was a set system that required points (similar to the PA system in rift) and those points were account wide, but unlike in rift, make them disposable so it adds to the replay value. Having something that continuously scales up for marginal rewards at best does nothing but make the majority not care while they also have to use particular classes they may not enjoy in certain types of content (like how some people only level rogues for pvp but realistically with legion, you have to do a bit of AP grinding in order to get your traits and such). I'm not against them keeping the artifact system and I do applaud for trying something new, the problem is they tend to not actually take the feedback given in how to improve things.
  • Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    edited September 2017
    awesome post, correct in every single claim

unfortunately the new WoW dev team, spearheaded by their new leader Ion, appears to be designing the game around behavior modification (retention at any cost) rather than fun.

loved this game all the way through WoD (just needed 2-3 more tiers of content) and now Legion has killed WoW for me.

WoW has lost its niche as the casual friendly fun MMO for everyone, regardless of free time. Time used to be filled with fun alts, if you had extra time.
    Tsiya

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    List is spot on. If I had to pick 1 thing that doesn't really bother me from the list is the 3rd point. Honestly I'm not that into the lore anymore, but I do agree that it would've been nice if they made the leveling a little bit more complex by having you go to other zones.
    I've always been that guy that says leveling doesn't matter, but when the content isn't what you expect some times good leveling is all that you have for a while :P
    [Deleted User]
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited September 2017

The only thing I want removed is the thing since WoD that they keep trying to implement where you send units out on missions. It's the dumbest thing ever, I don't see any point and it's just a waste of time for me to always have to go check back over and over whenever things are done. I can play phone games on my phone.

They will continue to be a thing as it encourages use of their phone app to check and process new missions. They get user info to which they can sell. And money from the advertising banner utilized in the app. To those of us who can't use it (Windows Phone) or choose not to. It's an annoyance that takes up time when we first log in each a day. That annoyance is meant to encourage you to hop on the bandwagon. It's stereotypical f2p marketing. Create an annoyance within the game to promote use of micro-transactions or phone apps to alleviate the tediousness.
    I loved WoW. But the expansions, after 2.x, one after another just kept diminishing my experience. I did enjoy Wrath, but thought TBC was better, Cata was just bad. MOP was playable, but not great, I bought WoD and got to 92 when I logged off and never went back. If they can bring the overall experience back to circa 2004-2010, I'd come back. Otherwise, GG Bliz.
    [Deleted User]murph0613[Deleted User]Phloomborghive49infomatzdeniter

SBFord said:

Sadfist said:

Open leveling zones are fine. Open leveling zones without the thread of a cohesive story line are not.

I've been very disappointed that more hasn't taken place to flesh out the Silvanas and Greymane's story. Or just any story involving the factions. I understand that this enemy requires both factions to cooperate. But as previous content has shown. Not everyone is on board with that no matter what the stakes are. They just straight abandoned any story content outside of "kill the boogeyman."
    Tsiya
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Would be nice if they introduce a major system in the next x-pac that they actually keep it going forward, instead of completely scrapping it in the following x-pac like they've been doing.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]pantaromike32927Phloom
    I think what they should do is at the beginning of the next expansion. We have to sacrifice ourselves to some ends. Doing so destroys our bodies and equipment. At which point we're resurrected by our allies (similar to Illidan). Prior to the resurrection, we learn more about the battle between the void and the light while we're trapped in the void. When we emerge, we're changed. Having touched the void but resurrected through the light. Through this, we gain our new horizontal progression like with artifacts. Only it's tied directly to our character and not equipment. This way it can be a system which isn't tied to certain specs and makes the barrier to different roles non-existent. And expands upon what the netherlight crucible offers with our relics currently. By giving us choices between the void and the light which offers customization that harkens back to the old talent system.
    KalebGrayson
    edited September 2017
    In looking back, I think the biggest issue I had was how they just continue to make all previous content obsolete.

The DK was the 1st evidence of this. Roll a DK (Obviously at the time, you needed something leveled already) But still. TO roll a DK, meant all vanilla content was pointless. Then Cata came out and they rebuilt all of Vanilla, but why? Once again, the point that was illustrated by DKs continued. So much effort and resources were wasted on revising Vanilla to what accomplishment?

Timeless Isle releases during MOP. Ding 90, head over to TI and get showered with free pics.  That just made all non raid endgame content obsolete. Oh you want to run dungeons? Blizz says "NO! Fck you! Raid!"

Anarchy Online, for all of Funcom's other failures, handled expansions well. Each expansion had an independent leveling system. You leveled Vanilla to get to 200, but you also had Research to do for Shadowlands. There was also Alien levels for the Invasion expansion that were separate from the other 2.
    I really enjoyed that.
  • murph0613murph0613 Member CommonPosts: 5
    I agree with some of your points, Suzie, but for different reasons than you post. I understand why they used so much RNG in this expansion - they wanted to pull people away from the ceaseless grind for certain items - to the exclusion of the story. They have made the story central to the game; I feel like this has made the game better, not worse. Remove some of the pointless grinding, and you can get people to focus on the story.

Now, that being said, they failed with Professions. While it was nice to be able to do all the separate questlines for each class/spec to see different content, the quest leveling for professions took it way too far. You had to dump an inordinate amount of time to get any prof to 800. And if you wanted to have all the profs covered by your alts, that meant way more leveling and grinding than ever before.

It's great when they offer more content. However, don't make it so tedious that you can't play more than one toon if you have only a modest amount of free time to commit to playing games.

My second gripe would be with including Mythic dungeons in questlines. They corrected this in 7.2, thankfully. If you're going to require that someone go into a dungeon, make it so that they can queue for it. It's difficult enough convincing a lfg group to go do that "extra thing" that your profession needs out of the dungeon, let alone try to get into a mythic as a DPS, and THEN try that. You'll get kicked quickly as the people in the group that are only interested in speed realize that you'll be dragging them down.

I realize that in Vanilla, you had to form your own groups to run dungeons. Well, those days are gone, and good riddance. If you want a good quality run, you do it with your guild. However, if you don't have enough people but still want a group, lfg is a godsend. Sure, you never know what kind of pugs you'll be grouped with, but that's part of it. I've met and been recruited by many guilds based on my time in lfg. It's a good place to meet ppl if you don't come to the game with a preset group of your own.

I'm usually a whiner about not being able to fly. However, with all the FP's and the Flight Whistle, I think flying is a bonus, but not necessary in Legion. They did that well, IMO.

And yes, like you, I welcome a change in the story of Azeroth and the Legion. Let's hope it gets finished on Argus. I like the story a lot; but I'm ready for something else for a while. I should NOT look at a certain shade of green in the world and think, "that's fel green."
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I just went back 3 weeks ago and rolled a Demon Hunter tank. I'm really enjoying the play style. I'm up to 906 ilvl in 3 weeks, taking my time, doing every quest, finding every treasure, and killing every rare along the way. I've thoroughly enjoyed it, BUT, I swear, my friends are giving me sideways looks that in 3 weeks I've caught up to them. They've been playing continuously since release and are around 931 ish. It's a good thing since we can play together, but I kinda don't blame them for being like WTF?
    [Deleted User]Phloom
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    If you understand developer psychology and corporate politics, you would understand the why of many of the expansions. The Vision™ problem, and in faction/out faction power dictate what gets done, and how. Its pretty much the same in any sector, but with games you get to see the results more clearly.
    [Deleted User]jerryogahGeddon95405
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

they need to drop the "expansion game", every expansion feels like the only part of the game that is playable, the enormous rest of the game is void of players and feelings of liveliness, it's just a design that they've fallen into and it makes 90 percent of the game boring af

thats something i've always noticed about WoW they seem to love making their game top heavy and most of the content is just throw away content only mmo i ever played that was like that. just seems like such a waste of time and money. i guess for them it's worth it to try and make sure players always have something to do within the current expansion. it's horrible for people who are totally new to WoW tho.
    jerryogahPhloomdeniter
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Such a good article.

No one caring about Ysera dying had me scratching my head for days/weeks/months. The broken front nonsense with all those leaders being weak as babies kinda set up for it in the sense that they don't give af about story or the characters anymore. How can I ever look at Thrall with respect after seeing him crawl around on the ground after 2 minutes of fighting or Vol'Jin making the colossal mistake of turning his back to the enemy on the battlefield. They said they wanted to go dark with this expansion but most of that stuff I felt was unnecessary.
    SBFord
  • GeorgeNoXGeorgeNoX Member UncommonPosts: 58
    something tells me that at begining of next expansion we will brake down our artifacts into some sort of essence and enchant a ring with it or something and then we will have the same thing, but it will be artifact ring where we will continue to upgrade it in same or similar fashion as is now