Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adding the ability to choose your religion in an MMO

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited September 2017
    Religion is a fundamental part of being human; whether you choose to suppress it, ignore it, or participate in it doesn't change the fact that it is a thing:

http://nautil.us/issue/17/big-bangs/to-understand-religion-think-football

I agree with William James, that religious experiences tend to be positive over the course of individuals' lives, provided they are practiced peacefully and without harm toward others.

How religion shows up in games is up to the designers, but I really like the way it comes out in a game like Elder Scrolls Legends:

Characters have these sayings; for example there is an Argonian card that, when played, will play a little voiceover sound bite proclaiming "The waters of life".  Of course water is intimately tied to life for an amphibian race, hence the religiosity of water/life is shown (rather than told).

I have an emote for my avatar called "Implore" which, when pressed, causes her to say "Kyne guide me".  Who is Kyne (sp?)?  I have no idea, but seeking guidance from an unseen individual also implies religious experience.  Again, shown, not told.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited September 2017
    My Minecraft server was in a pseudo-Greek setting, so we had custom gods similar to the Greek/Roman ones.

I personally love fantasy settings that have a hint of believability on some level. So when it came to the gods, we decided that the player would never see them, but the inhabitants would worship them. This, in my opinion, leads to a nice feel. You are not 100% sure you are interacting with gods the right way or if they even exist - similar to religions in the real world.

Worship was a big part of the lore. For example, the underground "illegal" factions were closely tied to the god of death and intrigue. The core of the assassin's guild was formed of fanatic followers of the god. Similarly, the cartographers were tightly linked to the temple of the sea god. We had around 6 gods and each one had their own tie-in with the world. As it was a roleplaying server, some players naturally aligned themselves with a specific god that made sense for their character. Some did not engage with the gods and were a bit more reclusive in the society, which is fine too. Making worship voluntary makes it much more impactful when people actually engage with it.

If you implement religion, you have to build it into all aspects of the lore. Or at least strongly tie it in with what you already have. Otherwise it may feel tacked on and a bit of a gimmick.
    Phaserlight
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Keep religion and politics out of mmos. We would have more civil wars than we have now.
    I would let keep individual things (politics, sexuality, religion) to oneself, not to demonstrate.
    I think fantasy "made up" religions are fine. And could even drive game play.
    alkarionlog
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Keep religion and politics out of mmos. We would have more civil wars than we have now.
    I would let keep individual things (politics, sexuality, religion) to oneself, not to demonstrate.

PhaserlightKyleran
    Phry said:
    Some of the real world religions are so messed up i don't even want them to be IRL, i most certainly would not want them to be in a game :/

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    It's been done hasn't it?
    EQ 1 allowed players to choose a deity or be agnostic.  It affected character's factions. 

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    The way the OP describes it?  Then NO.  Religions like that shouldn't be done in a game.  

For pre-existing one's that work into the frame work of the game; sure.  Numen: Contest of Heroes you pick one of the Greek Gods and have access to certain different spells.  Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising had you pick one of the Roman Gods to follow and Conan Exiles uses god choices for special benefit's.  And one could argue DDO has a form of religion in it with the different choices available to Paladin's, Cleric's and Favored Soul classes.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Sovrath said:
    I would love to be at the meeting where it is decided which religions are "real" and which are "made up".

Which category does this fall under?

Blaze_RockerMrMelGibson

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Quizzical said:

Europa Universalis II (and possibly some other games in the series) 
    CKII - Crusader Kings 2 - is what leads into the Europa Universalis includes multiple religious mechanics. Its essentially on a strategic - rather than a personal - level.
    edited September 2017
    dave6660 said:
    Sovrath said:
    I would love to be at the meeting where it is decided which religions are "real" and which are "made up".

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited September 2017

Not a great plan, as it's just something else to divide people over.

Eldurian

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Just stick with the way it is now when there is a "religion" in an MMO.  Items, flavor text, the occasional quest, and maybe some special abilities.
    Phaserlight

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity

Not a great plan, as it's just something else to divide people over.

Only one image good enough for our 10th edgy comment.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Phry said:
    Some of the real world religions are so messed up i don't even want them to be IRL, i most certainly would not want them to be in a game :/

If they are coming off as edgy.  You sure are coming off as an edgy bible thumper.  People who have differing opinions on your beliefs are now trying to be "cool" according to you.  You're the only one on this whole thread that's getting upset about their posts.  I'm guessing you're like this meme IRL.

Allerleirauh[Deleted User]EldurianPhaserlightPhry
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I think there's definitely room for using religion, especially in a sandbox game, since it's such a commonly fundamental human activity.  But I'd hope it would involve more than just things like guild bonuses.
    Phaserlight
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I think there's definitely room for using religion, especially in a sandbox game, since it's such a commonly fundamental human activity.  But I'd hope it would involve more than just things like guild bonuses.

My original vision has an example:

Religion name is: Red Bull God (does not resemble a real world religion)

The prophet gets bonuses = 0.02% to increase in life and damage per member-level. So if you have 10 characters in the guild and they are all max level, let's say 50, that is 500 member levels so it would be 10% increase in life and damage for the prophet. 

at 200 member levels = you get a red halo
    Also, at 500 member levels = you get introductory charge dash melee strike at 30 sec cool down
    at 1000 member-levels = you get introductory charge dash melee strike at 15 sec cool down
    at 2000 member-levels = you get introductory charge dash melee strike at 15 sec cool down and double damage

at 5000 member -levels = Put in something
    at 10,000 member-levels = add something more

The numbers and bonuses are arbitrary. 

The goal is to not have people make so many alts on different accounts and place them there. Hence, member-levels makes it about the level or perhaps some dynamic participation point system. 

Also, as the membership grows, the members get bonuses as the member-levels go up. 

They also get ranks within the Religion.  grand red bull distributor, Red Bull light, etc, or whatever. They also get temporary bonuses for activities done and quests done. and how many people they convert. There may also be negative attributes based on how the prophet sets it. Perhaps you get 5% bonus at night and -5% debuff during the day. 

Based on the made up religion, PKing may get your a bonus or PKK may get you a bonus, or crafting and dedicating may get you a bonus, etc. 

That was my thought, the key though is that the Devs have to approve it and it is hard to get to the point to become a prophet. It's won't be easy to make a guild like you can do at lvl 10 or whatever. The only way devs can approve it, is if you make it difficult enough to not overwhelm the devs. Like it is really hard to do. The devs need to approve it so people don't do stupid stuff like.   - -- - I$lam or xtian or whatever - - -

Or the option is to make a template with all the randomness in it and no links to real religions so a person choosing a religion will have to choose one of the templates, they can choose the bonuses, but not the name of the religion. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited September 2017
    @MrMelGibson - Please quote me where I thumped a bible or promoted any religion.

No. The fact is nobody has pushed religion on anyone in this topic. Nobody has promoted any religion, spirituality or whatever here.

Just a few of the more edgy atheists thinking that derailing a topic on religion in video games by trying to make a nonsensical leap in logic to equate them to real world religions and use that as an opportunity to take a swipe at religion makes them cool. It really is 100% your bad. But you are quite obviously a zealot so of course you're going to get mad at me.

I'm not going to discuss my own viewpoints on religion here because it is an entirely inappropriate place to do so, but I will say I fully respect the right to any belief that is not harmful or in-your-face pushy. When we're trying to talk about fake religions that nobody takes seriously and people are using that as an opportunity to promote their real life beliefs/disbeliefs, that's being pretty damn pushy. 
    Eldurian said:
    @MrMelGibson - Please quote me where I thumped a bible or promoted any religion.

No. The fact is nobody has pushed religion on anyone in this topic. Nobody has promoted any religion, spirituality or whatever here.

Just a few of the more edgy atheists thinking that derailing a topic on religion in video games by trying to make a nonsensical leap in logic to equate them to real world religions and use that as an opportunity to take a swipe at religion makes them cool. It really is 100% your bad. But you are quite obviously a zealot so of course you're going to get mad at me.

I'm not going to discuss my own beliefs here but I will say I fully respect the right to any belief that is not harmful or in-your-face pushy. When we're trying to talk about fake religions that nobody takes seriously and people are using that as an opportunity to promote their real life beliefs/disbeliefs, that's being pretty damn pushy. 
    The question of the thread is if you want religion in an mmo.  Apparently you think yes is the only correct answer.  Nothing pushy or edgy about saying no and giving reasons why.  How in your mind that's derailing the thread I can't figure out. Then for some reason this upset you and you felt the need to make an issue with each reply.  

Personally, I've seen religion in many games and see nothing wrong with it.  Last one I played where you choose a religion when making your character was the mmo Neverwinter.  If I recall correctly, it really was trivial which one you picked.  So imo if they add religion, it should have some reason or mechanic with it.  Otherwise it's just arbitrary and why even bother.
    edited September 2017
    I think that if your answer is "no" you need some answer better than a swipe at real world religion. The only comments I've labeled as "edgy" is those that are using this thread as an opportunity to voice their grievances with real world religion IE: "Religion divides people" and "fictional worlds are the only place a religion DOES belong".

I haven't labeled anyone as edgy for voicing legitimate reasons they don't want religion based on in-game factors.

So keep on trying with these attacks. For now I'm just going to take it that you're angry I talked back.
    Post edited by Eldurian on
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Eldurian said:
    dave6660 said:
    Sovrath said:

Church of the Fonz is a very respectable religion and I highly endorse it.
    immodium
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Eldurian said:
    I think that if your answer is "no" you need some answer better than a swipe at real world religion. The only comments I've labeled as "edgy" is those that are using this thread as an opportunity to voice their grievances with real world religion IE: "Religion divides people" and "fictional worlds are the only place a religion DOES belong".

I haven't labeled anyone as edgy for voicing legitimate reasons they don't want religion based on in-game factors.

So keep on trying with these attacks. For now I'm just going to take it that you're angry I talked back.
    Aren't we just the snowflake.  Now I'm attacking you lol.  You sure don't like when someone disagrees with you.  I'll stop so I stop hurting your feelings.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:
    dave6660 said:
    Sovrath said:

Yes a church I can totally worship.
    MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    cheyane said:
    Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:
    dave6660 said:
    Sovrath said:

There tithes are ridiculous, though.  Where'd they come up with 78.14 %, anyway?
    Blaze_Rocker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    cheyane said:
    Sovrath said:
    Eldurian said:
    dave6660 said:
    Sovrath said:

There tithes are ridiculous, though.  Where'd they come up with 78.14 %, anyway?
    Forget them, Join the church of bacon with me ;-)
    Mendel
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    is there a church of "the correct definition of MMO"? I bet most here belongs to THAT church.