Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online PvP server is MORE proof that PvPers are a very niche group

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited September 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Lots of PvPers complained about karma in BDO. However, like many sandbox forced PvP MMOs (except EVE, but that is because it has lots of safe areas and tons of PvE content)...the PvP server they opened is dead. Sure PvP happens on the BDO PvP server, but its by far the lowest popular server in the game.

Even EVE, a well known PvP game. Its been proven however, and I experienced it myself, that Nullsec is the safest space you can go in...because almost no one there. Everyone is in high-sec mostly, and then another group in low-sec.

However look at Shadowbane, Mortal Online, Darkfall and many other PvP games. They are all niche MMOs. Now look at all the MMOs with vast PvE content or PvE only...far more success. The other group that sees success is casual PvP like in the PvP WoW servers, they are pretty populated. However, full loot PvP is definitely a niche genre of MMOs.

BDO PvP server is more proof that most people just want to PvE without being harrassed by PvPers. PvPers asked for a no karma server, and yet barely anyone there compared to other servers. In fact, at non-peak times its SAFER on the PvP server because barely anyone on it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

ExcessionMikehaOctagon7711DeadSpockMellowTiggerAlomarJunglecharlyPhoenix_HawkdrachennwolfVelifaxand 1 other.

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    With that said in the post. BDO PvP is pretty casual. Someone kills you, they lose karma (on normal servers) AND nothing happens to you. No item drop, no exp loss...nothing except maybe gems breaking if you put gems in your equipment. Literally PvP death is more casual and less annoying than WoW PvP death because in WoW you lose tons of durability on your equipment.

In BDO...barely anything happens lol. And PvP death is really rare, despite what some people said. I've been killed once on normal servers and not at all on the PvP server thus far since everywhere I go has been empty. But only go there non-peak so that could be why. Still, even non-peak normal servers are far deadlier and more active than the PvP server. 
    ExcessionMikehapantaro

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Yes, those that desire open world PvP in MMORPGs are niche compared to those that do not. That most such games greatly limit PvP is ample evidence of that.

However, that the MMORPG open PvP market is comparatively niche doesn't change that there is a shortage of games that provide it.

That condition will change somewhat as more such titles are on the way in the not too distant future. Whether the niche is large enough to support all those games, who can say.

But, at least for a time, those looking for that kind of play won't be quite so starved for options.
    YashaXGdemamiOctagon7711JamesGoblin
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    PvP is just a sport. 

I'm not knocking it.  The e-sport players will only play it until the next game comes out. 

The only way open world PvP will work is if the game was designed where the player needs to search it out and not be jumped all the time....... Vanilla WoW !
    JamesGoblin
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Pvp as it is set up in BDO, Mortal Online, and Darkfall (never played Shadowbane) is niche; other types of pvp games are very, very popular. I really only play mmos for pvp, but I dislike the way pvp is implemented in all three of those games.
    MrMelGibsonJamesGoblin
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Those whining about karma penalties generally aren't looking for a challenging fight. They want to gank lesser geared players indiscriminately. Hence they won't bother with a PvP server where they'd actually run into other geared players.
    MaurgrimExcessionMrMelGibsonOctagon7711YashaXJamesGoblinTsiyaPsYcHoGBRTyserieQuizar1973and 2 others.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    And some people says BDO are a PVP game..lol
    There are tons to do in PVE and very little in PVP, sure you have nodewars which imo is pretty pointless and you have the random ganking, thats about it.
    Phoenix_Hawk
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    My guess is there's no actual benefit from or purpose to BDOs PVP, hence little interest in it.

Add in the fact most PVPers wrote this one off long ago there's no surprise here.
    Gdemamiborghive49bcbullyHatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    My guess is there's no actual benefit from or purpose to BDOs PVP, hence little interest in it.

Add in the fact most PVPers wrote this one off long ago there's no surprise here.
    There is some purpose/benefit to it, but only the node wars, and for fun without loss of karma, in the guild v guild wars, but for random ganking, the pvp'er is actively punished for picking on others, its not a bad system honestly, and it is a way in which PVE'rs and PVP'rs can exist in the same game, alongside each other in an agreeable fashion, sure there will be some that gank others regardless, but once they've spent a few hours grinding karma enough so that the guards no longer kill them on sight, they get the message. :p
    YashaX
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited September 2017
    Its not really a server. 

Its just a channel to hop on from time to time and have fun pvping with out having to worry about losing anything.

PVP is a huge part of BD and its one of the reasons the game is so successful today.
    Phoenix_HawkTheScavenger
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Totally agree, it is obvious with all the attempts and variations of pvp in a mmorpg that it is a niche crowd. And of that niche crowd a percentage of them don't want to fight other people who pvp. They would rather go after those that don't want to pvp.

The archeage system was a joke, credit card pvp won the day. The streamer Kooncoon proved that.

Pvp in a mmorpg is a niche thing that a few people wax poetic about how good it was back in the day. I think people remember the new mmorpg's that were hitting the scene back in the day and gloss over all the failings.

Pvp found its spot in MOBA's and games like that.
    Phoenix_Hawk
    skadad said:
    what new full pvp games are coming soon?

What is full pvp?
    TheScavenger
  • deyliosdeylios Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Mikeha said:
    Its not really a server. 

Its just a channel to hop on from time to time and have fun pvping with out having to worry about losing anything.

PVP is a huge part of BD and its one of the reasons the game is so successful today.
    Add a non PVP server and watch it fill up within hours! I would wager a guess you would have to open several to support the amount of people that would move there to enjoy the game without PVP. From an data point perspective and Pearl Abyss's work on 4 other MMO games, I would do this even if just temporarily just to test the waters.
    Phoenix_Hawk
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    PVP ? it just PK . It true that PK is part of PVP but PVP don't mean just PK .

PK must be put in check and heavy punish for this behavior because it mostly 1 side assault .

YashaXPhoenix_Hawk
    edited September 2017
    deylios said:
    Mikeha said:
    Its not really a server. 

Add a non PVP server and watch it fill up within hours! I would wager a guess you would have to open several to support the amount of people that would move there to enjoy the game without PVP. From an data point perspective and Pearl Abyss's work on 4 other MMO games, I would do this even if just temporarily just to test the waters.

Now I will say that PVE is more important than PVP but if they were to open up a non PVP server I know that I would not move there.

As a matter of fact I am not going to play any mmo that does not have PVP in it. 

I come from games like Lineage, Aion, Perfect World and Rappelz.

Eastern mmos will always have a huge focus on PVP and that will not change and we eastern mmo players do not want it to. 

Bless Online please hurry!

I can not even think of a popular mmo out right now that does not have PVP.

TheScavenger
  • sexydadeesexydadee Member UncommonPosts: 15
    why does no one talk about blade and soul?
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    First off, BDO PVP is awful as with most MMOS. I'd also challenge your assumption that players don't like PVP by using Archeage as an example, that game from the ground up was built as a PVP game and it got quite popular until they killed it with their terrible cash shop. 

Also look at the top games on Twitch, they are all PVP games, PVP games are VERY popular. I really think you got it all wrong when you say PVP players are a niche group, the reality is that PVE MMO players are the niche group in gaming, and the real reason you don't see more PVP in MMOs, is because most companies don't put a lot of effort into that area of the game.

Also, the examples you gave were all 5-8 year old shitty indie games, pretty poor choices to back up your argument. 

I really think you need to think over your posts more, instead of trying to present your anecdotal experiences as some kind of fact. 

MikehaMaurgrimYashaXMrMelGibsonJacobinhallucigenocideHatefull
    Crowfall and Camelot Unchained will be PVP MMOs right?
    TheScavenger
    Mikeha said:
    Yep, again the OP doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. There is a lot of interest in PVP in MMOs, it just hasn't been done right in a long time.  The examples they used were niche games with limited appeal for many other reasons other than being PVP MMO games. 
    YashaXMrMelGibsonbcbullyPhoenix_Hawk
    Mikeha said:
    Yep, again the OP doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. There is a lot of interest in PVP in MMOs, it just hasn't been done right in a long time.  The examples they used were niche games with limited appeal for many other reasons other than being PVP MMO games. 

You nailed it when you said there is a lot of interest but it just has not been done right in a long time. ;)

TheScavenger
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    I really think you got it all wrong when you say PVP players are a niche group, the reality is that PVE MMO players are the niche group in gaming, and the real reason you don't see more PVP in MMOs, is because most companies don't put a lot of effort into that area of the game.

Oh, absolutely. One need simply examine the MMORPG market to see how PvP focused players outweigh those focused on PvE, and as such have a plethora of games devoted to them.

If your contention was true the MMORPG market would reflect it.

That the interest in PvP-focused MMORPGs is quite vocal is due to the shortage of games that address that market, not because it outweighs the PvE market.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Ah... anything is popular when it's done right.

Velifax

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    PvP in MMOs has been dead for almost a decade.

That crowd has now shifted to the FPS flavor of the month games that keep rolling out. The ones with 15-30 minute 'games' that feed the already ADD rattled brains of most gamers.

Basically any game where you drop down on some island somewhere and have x amount of time to gear up and try and survive. But generally only last a few minutes before you get killed by someone you dont even see.

But the rise of these games shows why PvP in MMOs was never really a good fit, because most 'traditional' mmo players are used to spending time in games they enjoy. Once 'faction pride' left MMos and any 'reward' for winning at PvP in an mmo then PvP became little more than another time sync ad since most of these PvP guys feel some need to 'win' at something PvP was dead.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Well you also have to look at it like this: I invest 1k hours into a character 3 times on the PVE server, which still has PvP in it just with Karma. Why would I want to reroll my characters again, gear up, level up, grind all that out again to just PvP with no karma. There has to be more incentive to actually move to the other server. 

Obviously open PvP is niche. It's why most games that have open PvP have smaller playerbases, but they are usually incredibly active and those people usually stay in the game they like. But I know a majority of my friends (not including me I love open PvP and full loot) wouldn't touch a game with open PvP past a WoW PvP server. That's just because they don't have the same mentality as some of the hardcore PvP players who will literally camp someone for 24 hours because it's funny to make someone not able to level. 
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited September 2017
    Mikeha said:

Then you are in for a very long wait with that wonder PVP game of yours, It will never happen, players enjoy different aspect in PVP, you can't implent ALL aspects in the same game and It magical works for everyone, It's like that dream MMO everyone dreams about that you will play for years, It's just that, a dream, so I say again, good luck.
    Maurgrim said:
    Mikeha said:

Then you are in for a very long wait with that wonder PVP game of yours, It will never happen, players enjoy different aspect in PVP, you can't implent ALL aspects in the same game and It magical works for everyone, It's like that dream MMO everyone dreams about that you will play for years, It's just that, a dream, so I say again, good luck.
    I have no idea what you are talking about. I never asked for a dream PVP MMO, I was just stating that there is an interest for it for sure. Both Crowfall and CU both a good following already. Even Albion Online had a huge surge in interest the several months and is still going pretty strong.