Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anyone want to help me make an mmo?

Comments

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I was thinking naivete must be at work in this thread but, no, that's not possible. I've read too many posts on this forum to believe that.

Instead, I choose to believe that you all just engage topics with fearlessness and integrity.

/salute     B)
    MrMelGibsonlaxiePhaserlightConstantineMerus
  • BleakmageBleakmage Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Bestinna said:
    I stopped replying coz it seemed people weren't reading before commenting. good chat but apparently I dont have enough beans to go around for a programmer

will anyone help me make an mmo with good ideas? learning c++ was easier than I thought and that made learning an engine very easy so now I just was wondering what were some ideas that would make for a great mmo?

I'm a writer. If you want me to send you the link to my stuff, I will. It may be at the bottom of this post; I don't remember :D
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited September 2017
    Bestinna said:
    I stopped replying coz it seemed people weren't reading before commenting. good chat but apparently I dont have enough beans to go around for a programmer

will anyone help me make an mmo with good ideas? learning c++ was easier than I thought and that made learning an engine very easy so now I just was wondering what were some ideas that would make for a great mmo?
    What exactly did people not read?  I'm pretty sure we read what you said.  You just didn't get the response you were hoping for.  Sometimes reality sucks.  But you're better off knowing this now before you waste time and money on something that won't pan out.  

Also some really good advice on this thread from people that know a lot more about this than you.  If you were really serious about making an mmo.  You would take to heart a lot of that info.  

I don't really understand your second paragraph?  I thought you already had all the ideas done and systems figured out and etc?  So i'm confused why you're asking for ideas for a good mmo.
    MendelForgrimmYashaX
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Bestinna said:

Depend on your fund , the ideas can be a lots or very limited .
    But i do think even low fund online games can become great , we have many low fund games success enough to create big companies .
    But as people said , your posts smell like trolls and lack of passion need for respect .
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Bestinna said:

First of all you are not going to get one programmer and make a game.

Did you do as I suggested, find a local college/art school so that you could speak to someone studying animation?
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Sovrath said:
    Bestinna said:

Did you do as I suggested, find a local college/art school so that you could speak to someone studying animation?
    Yeah this. There is absolutely no way 1 programmer is going to make a full fledged MMO. Maybe something like RPGMO but even then that game has like almost 0 animation, and is really simple. 

I also don't really get how within 3 days you managed to learn C++ and now understand engines. That's almost impossible, especially since it is an entire programming language, and one of the harder ones. 
    SovrathMrMelGibson
    edited September 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Bestinna said:

Yeah this. There is absolutely no way 1 programmer is going to make a full fledged MMO. Maybe something like RPGMO but even then that game has like almost 0 animation, and is really simple. 

I also don't really get how within 3 days you managed to learn C++ and now understand engines. That's almost impossible, especially since it is an entire programming language, and one of the harder ones. 
    I should add, there was this one game, it was really beautiful, had the numeral "9" in the title.  The idea was that they were going to add multiplayer but in the meantime they were just creating the world, town, etc.

It was made by two guys. They ended up dropping it as it was too much work over time.

Now, there are single player games made by one person so I've seen that happen. But an mmo? Only one that I thought was called "Wish" or "Love" or some such thing and it really had a limited map so perhaps it was more along the line of a multiplayer game.
    Panther2103

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Bestinna said:

Just this one sentence is enough for me to laugh and be on my way.  You are not serious at all.  You think because you can import an asset into a game engine that this must be easy?  You installed the standard asset package and made a character walk around?  If your so brilliant and C++ and game engines are so easy then show us an example of your skill level?  Use the web player and link us to something showing this dazzling skill that you picked up in just a few days.

Until then, you are just blowing smoke my friend and smoke blowers are a dime a dozen in the game industry.
    MendelMrMelGibsonYashaX
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Ah the game I was thinking of was "Love". Developed over 5 years. Not an mmo though but has multiplayer ...

"Love is a game that I have been developing for over five years, alone and without funding. "

http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/
    PhaserlightMrMelGibson

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Sovrath said:
    Ah the game I was thinking of was "Love". Developed over 5 years. Not an mmo though but has multiplayer ...

"Love is a game that I have been developing for over five years, alone and without funding. "

http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/
    That game was crazy. I remember trying it out for a while with a friend. It was like an acid trip of colors and random things happening.
    Phaserlight
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited September 2017
    I thought for sure I'd seen the name Bestinna before so I did a search.  Apparently my memory is wrong because all I found was Bestina Breast Enlargement Cream.

Well, they are both depending on dreams of what might be if reality would just get out of the way.
    ConstantineMerusPanther2103MrMelGibson
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    edited September 2017
    Bestinna said:
    I have all the ideas and art I just need someone to program it all, thanks.
    Bestinna said:

will anyone help me make an mmo with good ideas? learning c++ was easier than I thought and that made learning an engine very easy so now  I just was wondering what were some ideas that would make for a great mmo?
    So which is it?
    Post edited by Forgrimm on
    laxieMrMelGibsonTalonsinYashaX
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    There are a lot of paths you could take to acquire the assets and talent to develop this project.  I would say I'm intrigued, though I have several concerns.

Are you able to share your experience related to this type of work?  Do you have a CV you can share?  At the very least, are you able to share your real name so we can attempt to look up your work history?  Any professional seeking to get involved may request this information, even if you PM it to reduce the chances of being trolled.

I am concerned with professional appearance.  You reference joking about accessing online material NSFW, incorporating offhand political attacks, use poor typing structure (capitalization, punctuation, shorthand ("u" instead of "you")), and appear hostile toward criticism.  In your project, you may end up not being responsible for consumer outreach, but your online interactions can certainly be dug up and affect how you are perceived.  If your project were to get as big as ARK (as you suggest), I would be concerned about these things.

Aside from ideas and artwork, have you created a development plan?  This is often the sole (and hefty) task of a single person and could mitigate your chances of going down rabbit-holes and/or investing time/resources on unnecessary/poor features.  What is the path forward and how do you intend to communicate this to your team and potential consumers?

People want evidence, not unsubstantiated promises.  Things like "you won't have to worry about your efforts being wasted" have, so far, little to no evidence to back it up.  If you want people to get on board, show us why your project is worth your effort.  

Final point -- think about what would be required of you if you were to pitch this to financial investors.  If you walked into a bank with a business idea and asked them for a million dollars, they would want a plan.  You can't just say "believe me, it'll be a huge business, big success."  If you went the Kickstarter route, you'd still need to lay out all of this information, otherwise nobody would invest.  Also keep in mind that investments, especially when requesting "free" outside assistance, don't necessarily entail funds -- they also entail time.  This is why, as others suggest, a paycheck may be necessary -- people have variable requirements for the financial remuneration of their time.

Good luck with your idea.  If these concerns are addressed and detailed, you may generate more interest (mine included).
    MendelPanther2103MrMelGibson
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Bestinna said:

Wow you must be really smart to learn C++ in such a short time. I'm not saying bad just saying.

I don't come around much anymore. I been programming for 40 years and am doing a project that may be of interest but I'll be damned if I will join another blow hard leading these.

I have my own ideas....

Show me some god damn talent and maybe we can get something started. 
    PhaserlightPanther2103MrMelGibson
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Bestinna said:

What exactly did people not read?  I'm pretty sure we read what you said.  You just didn't get the response you were hoping for.  Sometimes reality sucks.  But you're better off knowing this now before you waste time and money on something that won't pan out.  

Also some really good advice on this thread from people that know a lot more about this than you.  If you were really serious about making an mmo.  You would take to heart a lot of that info.  

I don't really understand your second paragraph?  I thought you already had all the ideas done and systems figured out and etc?  So i'm confused why you're asking for ideas for a good mmo.
    I appreciate all the advice, i do.

I have the ideas but I wanted to see what y'all had to say to see what it was we were calling a dime a dozen
    TheScavengerMrMelGibson
    Sovrath said:
    Bestinna said:

i'm on the look out for sure and have even been encouraging people I know who don't know what they want to do to maybe look into some of these things if they find it interesting so if I don't find anyone now, the seeds are planted
    TheScavenger
    Sovrath said:
    Bestinna said:

I am only working towards an MMO after reading peoples suggestions. I'm essentially making a single player now.

I've begun learning it and have managed to get so very much further into making a game than I was able to before. I don't know it like the back of my hand but what I have learned in a few days has allowed me to make much progress and no longer imagine i'll need help at the current pace

GdemamiTheScavenger
    Grunty said:
    I thought for sure I'd seen the name Bestinna before so I did a search.  Apparently my memory is wrong because all I found was Bestina Breast Enlargement Cream.

that is me
    MrMelGibsonTheScavenger
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited September 2017
    Boundel was made by one person, so its possible. With no money you are left to teach yourself. 

I would suggest learning Blender and C# and use Unity. There are tons and tons of resources. I have been teaching myself blender for the past 6 months, and I can make some pretty cool stuff. You can also find some cool things on the Unity store.

Just a small clip of a mobile game I hope to put out in about a year - that is part of a procedurally/random generated dungeon that I learned to code myself. I have also added an inventory system, A* pathfinding(for enemies as well as touch to move for the PC) and currently working on the crafting code. 

Its a lot of work, but stick to it and you can do it. Other people have. The challenge is to avoid burnout. I worked on this for 6 months - I would work 45 hours a week at my job then work on this game for another 40+. The past 1 or 2 months I have not put much into it due to burnout.

There are haters because they don't know what commitment is, and they want to keep you at their level of complacency.. They put their time in at work, and come home to sit on their computers to hate. Put in 100+ hours a week, and prove them wrong. Only way its gonna happen.
    BestinnaYashaX
    edited September 2017
    RufusUO said:
    There are a lot of paths you could take to acquire the assets and talent to develop this project.  I would say I'm intrigued, though I have several concerns.

Are you able to share your experience related to this type of work?  Do you have a CV you can share?  At the very least, are you able to share your real name so we can attempt to look up your work history?  Any professional seeking to get involved may request this information, even if you PM it to reduce the chances of being trolled.

I am concerned with professional appearance.  You reference joking about accessing online material NSFW, incorporating offhand political attacks, use poor typing structure (capitalization, punctuation, shorthand ("u" instead of "you")), and appear hostile toward criticism.  In your project, you may end up not being responsible for consumer outreach, but your online interactions can certainly be dug up and affect how you are perceived.  If your project were to get as big as ARK (as you suggest), I would be concerned about these things.

Aside from ideas and artwork, have you created a development plan?  This is often the sole (and hefty) task of a single person and could mitigate your chances of going down rabbit-holes and/or investing time/resources on unnecessary/poor features.  What is the path forward and how do you intend to communicate this to your team and potential consumers?

People want evidence, not unsubstantiated promises.  Things like "you won't have to worry about your efforts being wasted" have, so far, little to no evidence to back it up.  If you want people to get on board, show us why your project is worth your effort.  

Final point -- think about what would be required of you if you were to pitch this to financial investors.  If you walked into a bank with a business idea and asked them for a million dollars, they would want a plan.  You can't just say "believe me, it'll be a huge business, big success."  If you went the Kickstarter route, you'd still need to lay out all of this information, otherwise nobody would invest.  Also keep in mind that investments, especially when requesting "free" outside assistance, don't necessarily entail funds -- they also entail time.  This is why, as others suggest, a paycheck may be necessary -- people have variable requirements for the financial remuneration of their time.

Good luck with your idea.  If these concerns are addressed and detailed, you may generate more interest (mine included).
    the path i want to take is acquiring the ability to create a good portion of the project as cheap as possible to then take to kickstarter that will then pay for more talent to complete the project.

i'm young, any professional seeking to get involved knowing this may request a PM to share more valuable information.

I talk this way to conserve effort and by no means am I hostile towards criticism. in fact i'm not sure I've even received any. to say i should do one thing in a different way is jjust a suggestion or advice. no one's really said ''you work is really bad, i can do it 50 times better and i suck'' since i've not actually shared any of my work.

yes a dev plan

i know, and you're right, I should've asked if anyone was ''willing'' to help me make an mmo to then contact them in a PM

I know and I got it covered. thanks for whatever it is you'd call your post, a question, trolling, advice, a suggestion, criticism etc.. I like it as I do everyone elses
    TheScavenger
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wow that is awesome:

Sovrath made a game and there was another person with a solar game, I'll hopefully try those soon. 

I made an android app game called Donkey Bits, it took me 90 hours to make (no prior coding experience) and basically it is a 2d map where something fires bombs at you with random angles and speeds and you dodge for 30 seconds to move onto the next level. Each level it shoots out faster for 30 levels ;). You tilt the phone to move the donkey :)

Also, food for thought to the OP, Curt Schilling a successful MLB player started up his own software company with tens of millions of his own money and tens of millions of Rhode Island's money and he failed so badly, his company went under like a sunken ship, he sent people an email saying your health insurance is cancelled tomorrow. 

The point everyone is saying is that, even under the best circumstances, it is super difficult to accomplish, so they are suggesting baby steps to you. It's almost like you're saying i'm going to build a successful electric car like Tesla. It is super hard to do, even bonafide companies are finding it difficult. 

Good luck,

I'm completely useless in making or working on anything. I can only dream of designing stuff without putting in actual work to get there. Just hoping to hit the lottery. I won't play powerball unless it hits 1 billion though. At least you are putting in hard work so that's great and kudos to you. My approach is  . . . umm . . . hit or miss. 

Cryomatrix

Bestinna
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Bestinna said:
    the path i want to take is acquiring the ability to create a good portion of the project as cheap as possible to then take to kickstarter that will then pay for more talent to complete the project.

i'm young, any professional seeking to get involved knowing this may request a PM to share more valuable information.

I talk this way to conserve effort and by no means am I hostile towards criticism. in fact i'm not sure I've even received any. to say i should do one thing in a different way is jjust a suggestion or advice. no one's really said ''you work is really bad, i can do it 50 times better and i suck'' since i've not actually shared any of my work.

yes a dev plan

i know, and you're right, I should've asked if anyone was ''willing'' to help me make an mmo to then contact them in a PM

I know and I got it covered. thanks for whatever it is you'd call your post, a question, trolling, advice, a suggestion, criticism etc.. I like it as I do everyone elses
    Your comment here is an example of a hostile response.  You aren't required to become enraged and froth at the mouth for it to be considered hostile -- this is evidence enough.

Comments re: "sex out of boredom" are inappropriate and influence how people perceive you.  You also changed another of your inappropriate comments (re: porn) on the first page of this thread to "wot" after my criticism, thus acknowledging, at least in part, that you realize the way you type/present yourself online is harmful to your dream.  My recommendation is to embrace the criticism more fully and temper your conduct and rhetoric.

Also, as Forgrimm suggested with his gif, one of your comments seems out of place:

"I feel like I have put in the legwork doing what i've done which is mostly creating a game that is fun, balanced, etc in my head that no one except people on the left would uninstall"

This is not only inappropriate and unprofessional but also is a likely deterrent to valuable talent that otherwise may have aided you.

Overall, this can be a great learning experience, in more ways than merely game development.  Again, I wish you good luck, truly.  We are desperate for good games and it would please us greatly if you, the ostensible underdog, could pull off your dream.
    MrMelGibsonMendel
    edited September 2017
    RufusUO said:
    Bestinna said:

yes a dev plan

Your comment here is an example of a hostile response.  You aren't required to become enraged and froth at the mouth for it to be considered hostile -- this is evidence enough.

Comments re: "sex out of boredom" are inappropriate and influence how people perceive you.  You also changed another of your inappropriate comments (re: porn) on the first page of this thread to "wot" after my criticism, thus acknowledging, at least in part, that you realize the way you type/present yourself online is harmful to your dream.  My recommendation is to embrace the criticism more fully and temper your conduct and rhetoric.

Also, as Forgrimm suggested with his gif, one of your comments seems out of place:

"I feel like I have put in the legwork doing what i've done which is mostly creating a game that is fun, balanced, etc in my head that no one except people on the left would uninstall"

This is not only inappropriate and unprofessional but also is a likely deterrent to valuable talent that otherwise may have aided you.

Overall, this can be a great learning experience, in more ways than merely game development.  Again, I wish you good luck, truly.  We are desperate for good games and it would please us greatly if you, the ostensible underdog, could pull off your dream.
    I got that too and agree with you 100%.  I'm trying to chalk it up to him being very young and naive.  The best advice I'd give him/her is that if they somehow manage to get something running.  Is to let someone else reach out to customers and/or their community.  Their interactions online will end up being detrimental to their game.  As has been proven in this thread.  
    RufusUOBestinna
    Wow that is awesome:

Sovrath made a game

I don't think I said I made a game. I do have a skryim mod nearing completion, been working on it over 2 years. It's reasonably large.
    MrMelGibson

Sovrath said:
    Wow that is awesome:

Sovrath made a game

I don't think I said I made a game. I do have a skryim mod nearing completion, been working on it over 2 years. It's reasonably large.
    Any chance you can give us a hint what your mod is all about?