Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many games do you maintain?

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited September 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I don't mean "play" necessarily, but log into regularly.

In my case, since I'm having fun with some real life projects, my solid blocks of gaming time are way down. I do take a rest for 30 minutes or an hour here and there and I like to log in to a few things. 

Tier 1 (daily)

ESO - Feed horses, collect mail, open some chests, and if really ambitious crafting dailies
GW2 - Get daily login gift, do the daily quests, maybe do one story quest

Tier 2 (2-3 times a week)

WoW - Log in, look at the character screen to figure out which one I want to play, log out
Destiny 2 - Go to planet for  1-2 patrols or a public event
The Division - Run around base, pick up stuff, see what appearance vendor has, maybe kill an HVT or do a solo instance

Comments

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    edited September 2017
    Used to be Paragon daily for prolly over a year...but that game has died off for me a bit. the new card system and overball balance is just bad in its current state.

Now...not much. Battlerite here and there.

Nothing feels worth playing for me currently.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    I'm I'm not playing then the game gets deleted.

I'm not really interested in maintaining anything. I didn't realize this was a thing.
    ExcessionJakeSimConstantineMerusKyleranXarkopostlarval
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Archeage , in and out , doing stuffs .
    CS:O ,when i just want to shoot peoples to stress release .
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I go on and off with random games. Whatever I'm feeling at the time. Right now I've been playing a lot of Vainglory and Mobile Legends, because phone mobas have a lot less toxicity and provide similar gameplay. Destiny 2 on my PS4 and recently a bit of Rocket League. MMO wise, I play a vanilla WoW server with my girlfriend (who has never played wow but is having fun on vanilla with me) and ESO if I have a lot of time in a day. 
    starstorm777
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I play Path of Exile almost daily and when I want a change, i'll try Madden or once in a blue moon entropia or civ IV, im usually a play one game at a time kind of person. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The rotation changes a lot.  Everyday would be TSW, GW2 over the last two weeks.  Others regularly but at different rates would be The Division, and ESO.  The rest I don't really keep track of but do check out when they have something special going on or I haven't played them in awhile.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I play several different games, but i wouldn't say i play any one of them all that religiously, just as the mood takes me tbh, i play for fun, not as a 'job' :p
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2017
    Somewhere between Kano and Picard... Rarely uninstall stuff, so one hand it's a lot.
    On the other, Picard's "player enslavement" is a fitting term of the present f2p era's daily login crave, and I ain't part of it either.
    I only play, when a) have the free time and b) have the mood. I don't even "make" time for playing, I guess I'm simply too old for that :wink:  When I'm busy, I simply don't play.

That said, I play my main games fairly often, while hopping around them. The rest, I only update and log in, when I'm in the mood for some play. I don't update those just for the sake of being updated...

I admit, I found your list strange, OP. When I log in to any of my games (whether mains or not), I do it for playing, and to have some chat with the friends in there. This laid-out plan, or programme of:
    "ESO - Feed horses, collect mail, open some chests, and if really ambitious crafting dailies
    GW2 - Get daily login gift, do the daily quests, maybe do one story quest"
    sounds more like a chore to me, and not as something fun. But to each their own, as they say. I never really cared about doing dailies...
    (except festival activities, if those are on daily cooldown and as such, count as dailies :smiley: )
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    There can be only one!

No, seriously, I play one game at a time and I go all in, only that game until I'm "done" with it.

Thought it was just a MMO thing with me, but no, recently tried Fallout NV,  2.5 months and 275+ hours later (1 character, main game and 4 expansions) I decided this weekend I'd reached "the end" 

Sure, I could try another build,  install mods, and or try speed running the story or run on DIAF mode, all things I've read other players doing, but no, I'm pretty sure its over and likely will never revisit.

So just starting Pillars of Eternity,  and will be playing it exclusively until I decide its over. Again, I've read about people replaying this game, in POTD mode, or with a different main character or party build or compositions or solo even.... but why?

My backlog title list is over 50, will likely take me years to complete them all.  ;)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Xarkoimmodium

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited September 2017
    Po_gg said:

I admit, I found your list strange, OP. When I log in to any of my games (whether mains or not), I do it for playing, and to have some chat with the friends in there. This laid-out plan, or programme of:
    "ESO - Feed horses, collect mail, open some chests, and if really ambitious crafting dailies
    GW2 - Get daily login gift, do the daily quests, maybe do one story quest"
    sounds more like a chore to me, and not as something fun. But to each their own, as they say. I never really cared about doing dailies...
    (except festival activities, if those are on daily cooldown and as such, count as dailies :smiley: )
    Wow, I didn't realize I was a slave. @Jean-Luc_Picard

@Po_gg For me it's a diverting break.

My RL work gives me a lot of freedom. I basically do what I want all day, but it requires creative energy, making my own plans and schedules, etc. So I find it kind of comforting to have a little checklist of things to do when I just want to take a break. I live in huge crowded city, so it's not like I can just go take a walk on the beach, unfortunately. And I don't watch TV.

So I just log in to games that I have enjoyed and like and may want to go back to. I find it relaxing to take care of those little things that all together take me less than an hour to do before I go back my work and personal projects.

It's funny and interesting how people can see the same things so differently, though.

[Deleted User]

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Secret World Legends, Trove, Marvel Heroes, Tera, Rift, and Kritika are currently my most consistent logins. Other games that can rotate into that list as the mood strikes are Champions Online, ESO, GW2, DCUO, Diablo III, Blade and Soul, and Wizard 101.

The two most played at this time are SWL and Trove.
    d_20
    d_20 said:
    Wow, I didn't realize I was a slave. @Jean-Luc_Picard
    I found the word quite appropriate to describe the behavior.
    People log into a game even if it's not really fun for them with a "to do" list of chores, because they somehow feel they "must" do those things.
    You seem to be confusing choice with compulsion.

Personally I don't log into games I don't find fun. However, I do log into some games that I find fun that I'm not currently actively playing so I have the related benefits upon my return.

That being said, none of those logins require chores of any kind.
    d_20
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2017
    d_20 said:
    It's funny and interesting how people can see the same things so differently, though.
    Not that differently, I think it's more just the circumstances. If I had a lot more time to play, there's a chance I too would assemble some sort of checklist for keeping things in control.
    But since I don't, a similar checklist (compared with what Picard said above) feels more like a chore, something which urges me to do a set of activities, regardless of the mood.

Simply because I have just a limited time to play, I want to spend it while having fun, and I don't want the game to define my free time. For example, I remember a couple years ago I was pretty vocal against the STO winter event changes (if Picard, STO is a fitting example :wink: ), since they placed the event reward behind a daily  - all through the event.
    And while I love STO, and love the festival, and the daily was actually fun... still, the mandatory login every day is not something I tolerate even from my favourite games. It's a very bad practice, and it's turned almost into the norm nowadays.

(edit: I understand it from the dev's point of view, with the sub gone their two most used indicators are registered count and daily login count. But as a player I'm against it. I don't play when the devs say to me, I play when I want to play. Easy as that. They can make suggestions in a form of festivals :wink:  but when they try to force me through game mechanics, I get grumpy)
    [Deleted User]Kylerand_20
    No game has mandatory daily logins. Many reward those that opt to login daily.
    d_20
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    0 .. why "maintain" anything? I play games for fun, not to be a virtual maintenance man. 
    Kyleran
  • starstorm777starstorm777 Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Paragon, TERA, Aura Kingdom, ESO, Guild Wars 2, Revelation Online, Forsaken World, Swordsman, ASTA, Riders of Icarus, Diablo III, AION, Lineage 2, Neverwinter, Gems of War, BDO, Devilian, Archeage, Rift, Drakensang Online, Guardians of Ember, Epic Cards Battle & now part 2, Faeria, s4 League, Kritika, Skyforge, The Secret World Legends, Twin Saga, Villagers and Heroes, MAGIC, Shadowverse, POE, Royal Quest, Everquest II...and I'm sure I forgot some..lolz ;)
    d_20
    wait .. why do you need to "maintain" Diablo 3? You are not missing anything if you do not log in.
    starstorm777
    my bad....I forgot Diablo III isn't really an MMO per say so u can scratch that off my list 
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    None. I'm not a victim of that kind of player enslavement.

The two games I actively play right now are ESO and WoW, and both are enjoyed depending on the mood of the day. There's no logging in "just to increase some spreadsheet thing" in either of them.
    Logging into a game to do dailies is hardly a slave, most players log in and do dailies simply because it's something to do. If you want to get philosophical, aren't we all slaves?
    d_20
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    edited September 2017
    Allerieirauh, so if you make purchases on Rift, do I get rewards too if I add u as an ascended friend through ur code? ...well I tried for Rift and said error occurred, but I was able to for Devilian, but ur links that u show to do so do NOT work lolz ;)
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited September 2017
    I have three games installed: Albion Online, Elder Scrolls Online, and Guild Wars 2. No SP, no MOBAs, nothing other than those three MMOs.

When I'm in a PvP mood, I play AO. When I'm in a PvE mood, I play ESO. I keep GW2 for when I feel like playing something different, which isn't often.
    d_20

I have three games installed: Albion Online, Elder Scrolls Online, and Guild Wars 2. No SP, no MOBAs, nothing other than those three MMOs.

When I'm in a PvP mood, I play AO. When I'm in a PvE mood, I play ESO. I keep GW2 for when I feel like playing something different, which isn't often.

wow .. only THREE games? 

You must be one of those "i love this tree, and forget the whole forest" kind of guy. Personally, i have a ton of Steam & Origin games in my library and i will play whatever i fancy at the moment.

For me, there is no point playing a small number of games when there are so much entertainment out there. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited September 2017
    No game has mandatory daily logins. Many reward those that opt to login daily.
    I definitely agree with that, and why? Because they are games, just games.
    Still, it's made to encourage addiction, to make OCD people log in even if they don't really have fun doing so. I'm not saying all people doing it are like that, but I know quite a few who are.
    I definitely suffer from OCD according to my wife as I insist the shirts in my closet be organized in a certain way.  Truth is my "system" helps me keep straight what I wore recently as my memory has gone to heck.

But with games I'm a completionist,  so while games don't make you do dailies or holiday events it annoys me to no end when limited time content is included in a MMO.

EVE started doing it in recent years, stupid pirate events with cool prizes, but only if you do the in the next 3 weeks.....scowl.  I can't even stand bonus experience weekends... ;)

One of the main reasons I quit GW2 very quickly was the daily presentation of activities which I felt "compelled" to do or I wasn't being efficient as possible. (Can't have that now.)

So I'm happier now never playing MMOs with those mechanics these days,  which probably helps explain why I haven't played a newer one in several years.

[Deleted User]d_20[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I usually do a single MMO at a time but I can switch on and off between 2 different games playing each a few months.

The exception have been when I played one game for PvE and one for Pv (like GW and EQ way back).

Right now I play GW2: PoF and assume I will continue at least for a couple of months.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited September 2017
    I do a single MMO at a time usually. If I'm ever doing two then I'm probably on the verge of giving one up.

I'll do more than one game at a time though. I always have a phone game that I'll use to kill downtime (usually while I'm using the restroom or waiting on someone) and I might do some very low time investment games such as Nation States on the side.

I might also play a single player game, MOBA, FPS or RTS on the side of an MMO though I play those games the most between MMOs.
    Kyleran