Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PoF: Mounts, masteries & mastery restricted areas

Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
There have been some discussion about this in threads about other stuff so I decided to write a little about it in it's own thread.

Mounts: The game have 4 mounts

Raptor: Jumps far. You unlock it by doing the first mission.
Bunny (I refuse calling it something else): Jumps high. Unlocked by doing a heart and paying 50 trade contracts and some silver.
Skimmer: A floating Manta, can be used like a glider for a short bit. Unlocked same way as the bunny.
Jackal: Teleports in jumps. You need 3 mastery points in bunny or skimmer to get it (or a teleport to friend), unlock a heart and pay 200 trade contracts and 20 gold.

Each mount have 4 mastery skills. The first is a boost to the attack you can make while unmounting. The second is a kind of boost. It is the third that matters (makes the bunny & rampors jumps more powerful, makes the skimmer hoover higher and gives the jackal access to the sand teleporters). The 4th give the mounts bonus to all mounts.

The first 3 mounts have a few areas it can reach by having the third skill (some by 2 mounts and a bit inventiveness). The jackal is different, when you reach Vabbi you more or less need that third mastery.

My recommendation is that if you want the mounts go for the skimmer directly as you get into the crystal desert (searching sandpiles and do some DEs on the way to get the 50 trade contracts, it is pretty fast and simple. Then get the bunny and while doing that level up the skimmer mastery to 3. grind contracts so you have 200 and when you have 3 in skimmer get the jackal.

There are areas you need those masteries to reach, nowhere near what you need in Hot (besides possibly in Vabbi, havn't been in the zone much yet) and while Hot basically had 3 zones you could solo or do in small groups and one for zergs all 5 PoF zones are for groups but soloers can do a lot as well, You can enter all zones without a single mastery in anything but as I said above, you want 3 points in Jackal to do much in Vabbi.

Also, gaining the third mastery ability is relatively fast, I have 2 already and I have mainly been focusing on exploration. Just getting the glider to a useful level took me far longer in HoT.
blastermasterConstantineMerusJeffSpicoli

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    There is another mount, Griffon mount that is a reward after a quest string.
    Octagon7711

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    botrytis said:
    and 250 gold...
    Dragnelus
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Nice!  Thanks for that!

I just bought HoT/PoF last week, and I have yet to officially dig into any of them (though I did the 1st chapter for both of them in order to unlock the glider and the raptor) .

Just finished the "vanilla" world completion yesterday, so I can now go through the LS2 and then I can move on with HoT...and then PoF...  I'll keep that post tagged for the future.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    botrytis said:
    And you also need to complete the main story before starting on it... No clues about any masteries related to it though.
    Here is the guide: http://dulfy.net/2017/09/24/gw2-griffon-mount-collections-guide/
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2017
    Griffon masteries
    First mastery is being able to summon the griffon while falling.
    Second speed burst while diving or climbing in flight.
    Third is a speed burst after a diving attack. 

One nice thing is you can actually fly the griffon when you find a nest.  Until you dismiss it.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Are these mounts account bound where all your characters get them, it seems like I have seen lower level players on mounts? 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Reading your posts made me want to give GW2 another try. You play on EU, right?
    JeffSpicoli
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited October 2017
    Yes sir, Seafarer's rest. :)

Some modifications though:

I noticed that you need 3 in raptor to get the rest of the mounts besides the griffon, took me about 5 hours to get that much.

I also have the griffon by now (got it this saturday). It is a nice mount not unlike the glider but with some capacity to climb a bit.

The first mastery lets you mount it while falling.
    The second will let you dive fast to gain speed and the third boost you as you fly (able to climb better (I don't have that one yet so I am not sure how good it is)).

You can also dye your pets in the dye menu to give them a bit more customized feeling. :)
    ConstantineMerus
    Elvoc said:
    Are these mounts account bound where all your characters get them, it seems like I have seen lower level players on mounts? 
    They are account bound, I can use my griffon on a level 1 character (and belive me, they speed up the core gameworld play a lot).

You buff them by masteries and those buffs are account bound as well.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Loke666 said:
    Yes sir, Seafarer's rest. :)

Some modifications though:

I noticed that you need 3 in raptor to get the rest of the mounts besides the griffon, took me about 5 hours to get that much.

I also have the griffon by now (got it this saturday). It is a nice mount not unlike the glider but with some capacity to climb a bit.

The first mastery lets you mount it while falling.
    The second will let you dive fast to gain speed and the third boost you as you fly (able to climb better (I don't have that one yet so I am not sure how good it is)).

You can also dye your pets in the dye menu to give them a bit more customized feeling. :)
    I'm downloading it, will join ya soon.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung