Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why WoW's Class Design is flawed and PVP will never be balanced

EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
I don't think in my entire tenure of playing MMORPG's have I ever been irate at how blatant and/or incompetent the core design that WoW's classes have become. I am strictly speaking on PVP balance. And yes this a rant post... but doesn't take away from the content of it.

I am looking at this from a DESIGNER's perspective.

Before I can go into what class balance is, we must define what a Class is.

Class = An avatar of a role.

What does that mean? A class is the character output of a role that is being produced via the player.

*Many players have a severe case of massive misunderstanding what class balance actually is. Let me express WHAT it is NOT.

Class Balance is not...

"Class balance means all of the classes are the same which would make gameplay boring." 

or

"There is no such thing as class balance or if there is class balance it can never be achieved."

Rarely, I'll see this comment...

"Class balance means when each class has an opportunity to compete." 

The above comment is very close to what Class Balance really is but it's not complete. However, it should read like this...

"Class balance means when each class has an opportunity to compete within their archetype role."

How to achieve Class Balance?

Class Balance is more or less a bottom up approach that is balanced within layers. Each layer of balance should complement the previous layer for consistency. Essentially, there are three layers of when you balance classes. Below I'll explain them a little further.

Layer 1: Define the Roles (The foundation of class balance)

This layer is the foundation for all of your classes. You determine what are the primary roles of classes you want to fit into gameplay. I'll keep it easy and say that Tanking, DPS, and Healing are primary roles. I won't go into secondary roles because this thread will turn into a novel. I want to try and keep this as simple as possible. 

Once the archetype (roles) are defined then you establish the rule set for those roles. On as basic level we'll do damage to mitigation ratio. 

Tank: Moderate Damage output and Moderate Mitigation

Caster DPS: High Damage output and Low Mitigation

Melee DPS: High Damage output (sliver below Caster DPS) and Medium Low Mitigation (Sliver above Caster DPS)

Healers: Low Damage output and High Mitigation via Heals. 

There are other things that go into defining the role and other rule sets that would compliment whatever design is being used. So once Layer 1 is defined and balanced you move onto Layer 2.

**This is where WoW's classes will always be in perpetual imbalance. Simply because Layer 1 is broken. Blizzard doesn't take in account the rule set of each role and their basic damage/mitigation output should be. Hybrid and Tank classes can out perform in damage over most pure DPS classes which were simply designed to produce massive damage with low mitigation input. When you choose a role that a class can provide you're in agreement that you're class excels in one role over another. This does not constitute a Rock/Papers/Scissors Class Balance approach. 

Layer 2A: Balance All Classes that share the same Role.

This layer is only used if you have more than 1 class within the defined roles from Layer 1. 

If there are 3 classes that share the same role,(tank, Caster DPS, Melee DPS, Healers), you then balance those classes within their respective archetype. Meaning that each tank has an equal opportunity to tank efficiently. This does not constitute all tanks will be the same. There should be different  path ways to tank for each class in a unique and fun way. Whatever those paths are should be up the creative mind of the class designer.

**For WoW, this is where the same utility abilities are simply distributed to nearly every class. I have never seen it this bad in a long time. Nearly, every class has a gap closer, able to spell lock/silence which completely locks down a player, and able to cc/stun without a heal. I feel sorry for Mages in PVP right now because they literally have zero advantage to most classes because of the former.

Layer 2B: Pure Classes vs. Hybrid Classes

Also in Layer 2 you would determine what classes would be Pure and what classes would be Hybrid. Let me define those.

Pure Class: A class in which can only perform 1 role 

Hybrid Class: A class in which can perform more than 1 role. (usually 2 roles). 

Most of the time you'll see more hybrid classes than pure classes to give the player more of a creative choice to choose from. 

In this layer you could already break the class design before you even get to Layer 3 because of Hybrid Classes. Hybrid Classes are very tricky because they can't be as powerful as a Pure Class and yet they must still be valuable to a group. 

Usually Hybrid classes are the soloable classes if the gameplay is focused on group based content. 

I think a good direction to balance hybrid classes with pure classes is to allow Hybrid classes to act as a support class in a way. What I mean is, if a Hybrid Class can perform 2 roles, DPS and Healing, then reduce those roles by 30%. Meaning that if a Pure DPS and a pure Healer class can DPS and Heal 100%, then a Hybrid class can DPS and Heal at 70%. This way a Hybrid class is still effective and valuable in a group. They act as support DPS and Healing. 

A Hybrid class should NEVER EVER be on par with a Pure Class because of their multiple roles. If a Hybrid class is on par with a Pure class then more than likely those pure classes will become obsolete. They won't be as valuable. 

Ask you self this question. If a Mage is a pure DPS class that can do on par damage as a Sorcerer that can also heal, which class do you think would have a better chance at being more effective? As you can see this is an imbalance. 

*In this portion of the balance is what literally breaks WoW's Class Design. Within their spec system, Hybrids are more powerful and have more utility. Hybrids/Melees rule wow's PVP currently.

GdemamiHatefullSteelhelm

Comments

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248

Layer 3: Skill/Ability/Spell Balance & HP/Mana Balance

This is the top layer of class balance and always the most tricky. There are tons of variables because each class has a unique set of abilities to perform.  Layer 3 is more than likely the layer most will spend time balancing their classes. A good design would keep in mind the following two layers and design abilities that won't go against those rule sets already established. 

Also in Layer 3 you would determine when a class gets an ability when progressing. For an example, if a Warrior had Deadly Strike at level 1 that did 10 damage and a mob at level  one had an ability that did 10 damage where both of you had 100 HP. Whoever struck first would win. So then you would adjust damage/HP/Mana levels accordingly and add in more abilities to make it fun and balanced in gameplay. 

As you can see Layer 3 has a lot of variables to consider. Usually, this is one of the places where class balance can become imbalance. 

Penalty. This is another way to balance very over powering abilities a class may have. Try and have the player to strategically use more powerful abilities instead of using them at their leisure. 

Also in Layer 3 you would compliment whatever combat mechanics you have to balance your classes with that. 

Layer 3 should also consist of player testing and tweaking to everything mentioned above. 

What does Class Balance Mean? Can it be achieved?

Yes Class Balance can be achieved. Before I go on let me tell you what class balance is not. Class Balance does not constitute that all classes are the same with the same abilities or roles. 

Class Balance is when your role are balanced and the classes that share the same role are balanced with each other. All classes within that role should have an equal opportunity to be as effective. That if more than 1 class within an archetype should have different functions to perform their desired role to have a good diversity of classes. 

If a Hybrid class is more effective then a Pure class then that is not class balance but an imbalance.

Layer 3 with different abilities may sway classes to be tweaked more than others, but if the design stays true to Layer 1 and Layer 2, it should make Layer 3 a bit easier to tweak. 

/rant over I am tired

GdemamiHatefull
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Flawed?I have said this for years and noticed it the first day it came out.

They designed the game so that players play SOLO and ALL the time doing quests that offer xp and that again is just a dumb idea that makes no sense at all.Then after days/weeks/months maybe a year of soloing they are asked to RAID ...roflamo,so they have never been in a group and asked to raid now,just dumb.

Back on the mention of quests giving xp.XP is SUPPOSE to be a representation of that classes skill level/ability,the more xp the more skilled that class is.Well how did their team of brilliant minds decide that doing some non related meaningless quest should allow that class to be more skilled,better at everything it does?The ONLY way xp makes sense from questing is if it is completely related to the skill of that class and or they want to have some sort of questing xp/levels but no way should linear questing be related to a class skill/abilities.
    This is why you don't just COPY some other developer when making game unless you fully understand wtf you are copying.As well trying to give your OWN take on ideas is fine and could be good but when nothing makes sense you might as well get into a different line of work.But hey guess what,millions of gamer's seem to like games that don't make sense,good job Blizzard,your better at making money than making games.
    pantaro

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sometimes i have a hard time believing that people still don't understand what 'balance' means, and that is that for every strength there has to be a corresponding weakness, there has to be a balance, and after a decade or so of operation WoW is probably as balanced as it will ever be, even if it means that for some classes its a case of rock/paper/shotgun etc. balance does not mean that all are equal. :/
    [Deleted User]AsariashaKyleranbcbullyMrMelGibsonHatefullOctagon7711mrputts
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited September 2017
    Easy solution, play whatever classes you feel are overpowered until it gets nerfed, then move on to the next fotm class or build.

I'm assuming the folks at Blizzard try their very best to come up with ways to improve balance, and my guess is in the right hands most classes are competitive more or less.

So many factors influence the outcome outside of the actual avatar design, hard to determine what is actually a balance issue at times I'm sure, but one measure I'm certain is mostly useless are player complaints about lack of balance. 

Right next to player suggestions on how to best design games.

LucienRene[Deleted User]Hatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited September 2017
    mmm, certain classes are better against other classes, but there is an overall balance imho.

you have to play smarter when facing the classes that "pawn" you, making use of every single advantage you can get. At the same time, the game is more forgiving when pitted against the classes that you "own".

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Classes ebb and flow over time at the Designers hand in order to keep the game fresh and ever changing.  This is why the term Form exists... because the players are keen to pick up on which classes are currently at low tide versus high tide.  Even competitive arena teams don't play the same class ad nauseam.  They pick those classes which are doing very well and alternate which ones they play based upon the opponent's skillsets and classes.

A lot of issues with class balance come purely from bugs... unintended consequences of changing a line of code.  Sometimes it can take a long time to actually find the true culprit of a bug when a lot of things can possibly be feeding it.

And lastly, and probably the most important... players themselves are unpredictable.  Classes are designed to be played a certain way by the Designers.  Players think up all sort of creative ways to play them.  Sometimes their unintended use of this ability or that item yields results that no one expected... some may call this an exploit.  Can you fault the players for some oversight by the Designers?  PVP, by nature is the art of looking for an exploit to use against your opponent to win.

You can create a game with only one class and only one set of skills, and only one weapon and there will still be those who will dominate and those who will be dominated.  Balance is achieved when all things are being equal... the one thing that rarely ever is equal is the player.

If class A is weak, you play class B.  Pretty simple.  If weapon A is weak, you use weapon B.  Pretty simple.  If you don't play well, you learn to play better.  Pretty simple.

People always think the flaw is with the class, the skills provided, or the weapons... well EVERYONE has the same access to all of that.  The only thing that is unique to them is them.

SovrathiixviiiixKyleran
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Eronakis said:

Are you a designer? Because I would be more interested in hearing from an actual game designer who actually has designed classes/races.

Since "balance" is a large issue in most games (all games?) it clearly isn't an easy thing to do. I just highly doubt that some of the best paid designers in the world are sitting in a room with their heads in their hands and saying "well, I'm out of ideas".

MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    interesting....
    Hi simon

You wouldn't know anything about MMORPG definitions and beating dead horses would you?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Sovrath said:
    Eronakis said:

Are you a designer? Because I would be more interested in hearing from an actual game designer who actually has designed classes/races.

Since "balance" is a large issue in most games (all games?) it clearly isn't an easy thing to do. I just highly doubt that some of the best paid designers in the world are sitting in a room with their heads in their hands and saying "well, I'm out of ideas".
    If "designer" means reading "Java for Dummies" and typing the examples... ;)

(Credits Gianna from http://thenoobcomic.com)

Sounds like this is exactly what happened.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2017
    Is it that PvP will never be balanced or PvP'ers will never be happy with any balance?  True balance is every class with the same exact skills having only different names and animations.  

"Rock is overpowered please nerf. Paper is fine. -Scissors"

[Quote]

Rock-Best Defense, questionable speed, its special ability to gather no moss is useless though.

Scissors-Best Attack, moderate speed, however its recoil is aweful.

Paper-Underpowered, very fast though, Paper can do that origami shapeshifting thing, but its a gimmick at best.

Overall, I'd say rock needs to be nerfed, and paper needs a boost, scissors is the only balanced one. I myself use Paper cause I like the accuracy and Its cool to be a rebel.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Sovrath said:
    Eronakis said:

If "designer" means reading "Java for Dummies" and typing the examples... ;)

(Credits Gianna from http://thenoobcomic.com)

It's kind of like if I told people I was a network Admin because I once set up my parents router for them lol.
    [Deleted User]immodiumScot
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    edited September 2017
    WoW was designed for PVE in mind. It is a Themepark Game. Also it was designed so that All classes be able to solo to their top level.

The Holy Trinity Synergy (Tank, DPS, Support) is there for bigger challenges where none of the classes can Solo (Instances Raids etc)

But again, all of this is balanced around PvE. This is the meat and core of the Game. 

WoW's PvP maybe popular but the game was never made or "balanced" around PvP.

I enjoyed WoW in Vanilla, both of its PVE and PvP, then from Burning Crusade onward PvP went downhill..completely.. with gear segregation and PvP specific stats etc..it all became more convoluted and trivial.

The only real improvement was PVE from BC onward, but still, we do not mention this because it is the core of the game. WoW is a PVE game, ye, even if it has PvP servers, it changes not the core of what the game is and how the game is primarily balanced against.

In either case, if you really want a solution to the problem,. Throw the whole class system in the garbage..end of problem.

Class based games are not suitable for PvP. An Open Ended Skill based system, is more suitable and auto balancing.

The classes in WoW do not have to be balanced for PvP. They are there for other reasons which you did not include in your analysis. The classes are there to offer variety to players, from a Role Playing Perspective too. Which constitutes a qualitative basis of measure and not a quantitative. Not everything is about Numbers. Not everything is about Rationality. As humans beings we also have emotions and we do make decisions with them as well.

When a person chooses to play a Mage they do so because it feels good to play the role of a Mage..they do not take out the calculator and start calculating the DPS versus Mitigation ratio compared to other classes or in specific Raids and Instances.

As a result, the designers of WoW do not need to make sure that the Mage class is balanced in comparison to other classes in PvP, the core of the Game is PVE and as such the only thing they need to make sure is that the Mage class is capable of leveling top the end game and has a role to play in groups versus the Environment. That is it.

The rest is all player decisions.

Cheers!
    Octagon7711
    - Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Eronakis said:

Yes Class Balance can be achieved.

That's great, can you tell us which multiplayer games you actually worked on where you achieved class balance? Because I've yet to see a game where people were universally satisfied.
    MrMelGibsonKyleranIselin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Sovrath said:
    Eronakis said:

That's great, can you tell us which multiplayer games you actually worked on where you achieved class balance? Because I've yet to see a game where people were universally satisfied.
    Agreed, even in a game like CoD or Battlefield where one might think it's an even playing field.  There is still some issues with gun balance.  Whether between individual weapons, or whole classes of weapons.  This has to be one of the hardest aspects of any multiplayer game.  Make it as even playing field as possible while trying to retain some unique features and individuality.
    Sovrath
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited September 2017
    A different perspective from which to consider class balance is that all classes need to earn about the same amount of XP and money per hour during the leveling-up process, and if there is a death penalty, the amount of times they die per hour also needs to be taken into consideration.  Some games deliberately create trade-offs here; one class might be balanced to die more often but kill enemies faster, balancing out an increased earning rate with increased death penalties.  Or the other way around, some classes are slow but basically unkillable in normal pve.  Some games have a class focused on looting or crafting, in exchange for a combat xp penalty or some other disadvantage.

On top of this, if the game has a trinity system and a lot of dungeons, the game may end up with a shortage of players wanting to play one role or a prejudice against certain classes joining dungeon groups.  So the devs might give a 5% loot bonus to the shortage class to make it more appealing to play, while the prejudiced-against class might get a group buff ability and lowered aggro to make it work better in dungeon groups.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I'm going to come as a bit odd, but I see what the OP is saying, and it is lame when classes are unbalanced to the point where there's no reason to play the "lesser" class. I hate games like that, but instead of following the layer A, B, and C system which is nicely delineated but probably impossible to do, I'd just make a bunch of classes that fit into Layer A but then go into a whole new layer of situational classes. That kind of suck solo but are amazing in a group. 

If i were to make an MMO, I honestly would only balance some of the classes in the layer A, B, and C system and then have other classes which are more varied but can do other things well. 

I'd make classes purposefully suck at DPS and mitigation but my god would they be amazing in certain situations or when well protected. 

I'm okay with certain classes being played a ton more than others. I'm okay with classes being soloable and some aren't, just let the player know before choosing. For example, I'd make a class with low mitigation and low DPS . . . a type of healer . . .but they are the only ones that can resurrect people and perform 1 on 1 healing perhaps. 

They suck by themselves, but every guild would want to have one. They'd be a rare commodity within the community which would be fun to be a wanted commodity. Another class I'd make would be a wizard, in which the DPS is insanely high but the mitigation is worse than zero. But the crux is that the wizard's spells may take 30 seconds to 2 minutes to cast and can't be interrupted. 

But their DPS would be like 5x of anything, but if you can't protect them, they are useless. 

My two cents. Balance is important to me, but not that much. I'd make a hybrid system of balance, where the pure and hybrid classes would relatively be balanced but my other classes would purposely not be. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

The system illustrated in the OP is standard Pen And Paper class design and balancing.  I don’t know what exactly Blizzard does, but I do know they have a design document that spells out something along these same lines.  They will have formulas and techniques for design and testing.  The imbalance comes from players and their playstyle and always will.

Tanks that spec damage and criticality rather than defense will be imbalanced.

DPS are designed to be low to medium defense and always will.  They will not be granted Max Armour no matter how much or how long they cry.

Healers that spec damage and criticality rather than healing and damage mitigation will be imbalanced.

I don't have to address Hybrid because they are designed to be 70% of a pure class, but like the pure classes they players spec them for damage.  Like most PvP players do.  Be it by gear or talent tree, PvPers choose damage over all else.

These are all imbalances caused by play style and not design error.  What is broken are the players, not the game.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    If anything, pvp players are all about cc.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    I liked the post OP, good to see some analysis of anything on here. But no MMO can have true class balance, that's a grail I doubt will ever be obtained. You just have to avoid the ones that are really unbalanced.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852
    Sovrath said:
    Eronakis said:

Players will NEVER be satisfied.

About anything.

True mathematical balance and player satisfaction are two completely different things.