Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review in Progress (PS4): Part 3 - Destiny 2 Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageReview in Progress (PS4): Part 3 - Destiny 2 Columns

It’s our third week playing Destiny 2, and endgame has finally arrived. This time around, Gareth Harmer delivers his thoughts on the concluding single-player Campaign and gets stuck into the gear grind.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I feel as you. I enjoy the game enough to know I don’t want to spoil more before the PC launch.
    [Deleted User]Gazimoff

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Agreed, I'm trying to stay away from all the guides and walkthroughs which are all over the net so I still have the element of surprise when playing but it ain't easy.
    Stjerneodd[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    If you ask me it's a pretty solid game.

I even went so far to ask what people thought were the biggest grievances that players had with the game and the list was as follows.

Lack of LMG's: Personally I found that time could solve this issue

The Walk of Shame: This is actually a legitimate complaint, a possibility to skip this after doing it once would be nice for those who like to play multiple characters.

Getting one-shot in crucible: More so around corners from what I've heard, and this I understand. Rocket Launchers should require a direct hit for the damage that they can deal.

Not enough content: After about 110-130 hours players found themselves capping out at 305 which is considered the max item-level. That's a pretty good time played vs money spent ratio. Consider the alternative like FFXV that are completed in 8 hrs. This was after the lead-dev said that it would be 40-50 hour game.

Nightfalls are considered too hard: Do you want your game to be like Warframe? This is how you get your game to be like Warframe! Challenge is a good thing, Nightfalls are far from impossible.

Too few ships: Another issue that can be solved with time.

Hunter Recovery: Yup, Hunter recovery sucks. The base value is simply too low for gear to ever make a difference. Personally I wouldn't mind Pole-dancers getting better recovery, since they're considered the weakest hunters in terms of representation and group performance.

Finally "Diablo Esque Gear Grind?" That's begging to start a war with Diablo fans.
    [Deleted User]
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

I even went so far to ask what people thought were the biggest grievances that players had with the game and the list was as follows.

The Walk of Shame: This is actually a legitimate complaint, a possibility to skip this after doing it once would be nice for those who like to play multiple characters.

Getting one-shot in crucible: More so around corners from what I've heard, and this I understand. Rocket Launchers should require a direct hit for the damage that they can deal.

Not enough content: After about 110-130 hours players found themselves capping out at 305 which is considered the max item-level. That's a pretty good time played vs money spent ratio. Consider the alternative like FFXV that are completed in 8 hrs. This was after the lead-dev said that it would be 40-50 hour game.

Nightfalls are considered too hard: Do you want your game to be like Warframe? This is how you get your game to be like Warframe! Challenge is a good thing, Nightfalls are far from impossible.

Hunter Recovery: Yup, Hunter recovery sucks. The base value is simply too low for gear to ever make a difference. Personally I wouldn't mind Pole-dancers getting better recovery, since they're considered the weakest hunters in terms of representation and group performance.

Finally "Diablo Esque Gear Grind?" That's begging to start a war with Diablo fans.
    I agree with most of what you said, but FFXV takes nowhere near 8 hours to beat even just the main story line. It's like 20 to 25 even if you just mainline the storyline. 

Nightfalls haven't been considered too hard, I've been following the subreddit for a while and it seems like most people were saying that instead of being difficult and taking a while it was a race to see how fast you could just rush through it and cheese everything. 
    [Deleted User]
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

I agree with most of what you said, but FFXV takes nowhere near 8 hours to beat even just the main story line. It's like 20 to 25 even if you just mainline the storyline. 

Nightfalls haven't been considered too hard, I've been following the subreddit for a while and it seems like most people were saying that instead of being difficult and taking a while it was a race to see how fast you could just rush through it and cheese everything. 

The first person to beat FFXV days before launch/embargo clocked in at 16hrs and definitely took his time from the 5 or so hours that I bothered watching. Often taking viewer requests and showing off vistas with a 360 camera rotations.

Speed runners clock in as fast four and a half hours.

As for my personal circle of friends I cannot imagine any of them taking more than ten hours tops.

Also if you're using gamelengths or howlongtobeat, you can stop. They're terrible sites with terrible metrics.
    [Deleted User]
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Its a great game so far. I'm sticking to the PS4 version, because I spent too much time learning Thumb Fu, to risk losing it.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I feel as you. I enjoy the game enough to know I don’t want to spoil more before the PC launch.
    I got the PS4 version as well but haven't played it. I'm gonna go hardcore on PC then later on casual on PS4. 
    [Deleted User]Gazimoff
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

I got the PS4 version as well but haven't played it. I'm gonna go hardcore on PC then later on casual on PS4. 

So youre paying 2x the price to do the same things over and over. No wonder people pay those 200 early start packs. Yes its your money but for me thats Mindblowing! And its not even about the money, its about how people easly fall into hype and then reconsider, regret.
    ConstantineMerus
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    exile01 said:

So youre paying 2x the price to do the same things over and over. No wonder people pay those 200 early start packs. Yes its your money but for me thats Mindblowing! And its not even about the money, its about how people easly fall into hype and then reconsider, regret.
    People play video games more than once. They'd like to do it on a different platform. as those platforms provide a different experience (lounging on the couch as opposed to sitting straight at one's desk for example. It's not hard to understand.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Sovrath said:
    exile01 said:

People play video games more than once. They'd like to do it on a different platform. as those platforms provide a different experience (lounging on the couch as opposed to sitting straight at one's desk for example. It's not hard to understand.
    Yeah, I've owned games on 3 platforms before just because I have different friends who play on different things. I own Black ops 3 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC because of different friends. I don't even like that game, I just like playing things with friends. I bought Destiny on PS4 and XBone for the same reason. I wouldn't ever buy the 200 dollar starter pack for anything, but if I know I enjoy something I'll definitely be willing to shell out for multiple copies as long as there is reason.
    SovrathConstantineMerus[Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    exile01 said:

I am a psychopath, I don't feel regret. But instead of serial-killing, I do serial-shopping. Although sometimes some people make me wonder if I chose the right career. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I can't count how many itrerations of Final Fantasies I've bought over the years. It must be dozens, on several systems, physical and digital, remastered, hell, even in different languages (hello FF edition of the Wonderswan with FF 1 and 2). I am so relieved to read I'm not the only one doing this  :D

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerusPanther2103
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer