Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - In Defense of Content Most Will Never See - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - In Defense of Content Most Will Never See - MMORPG.com

There’s a lot of content in Final Fantasy XIV I’ll never see. Of course, everything’s on YouTube, but stuff that my character will actually reach is another matter. That comes from someone who has seen far more than many others — I’ve been in and out of savage and extreme primals for a good few patches now, and that’s content most of the playerbase has never touched.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Germaximus_SZoeMcCloskey

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Should put "Most will never see...immediately" since they raise the floor for any new person so often that people can easily push through the previous savage tier or at least have people carry them A LOT easier. By 4.2, the capped tome gear will be uncapped and the new capped tome rotation will start along with the new savage tier. So as long as casual wait till the following even patch, they'll get to experience it rather easily as opposed to people who did it within 1-2 months of its release.
  • Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    Nice article.

I've recently returned to World of Warcraft and the disappointment in how faceroll the end game content is infinite. It doesn't feel like the WoW I remember. It's still fun, but it's crap compared to how it used to be.

It definitely sucks to miss out on content because it's too difficult and you can't get into a party that's doing it. But I think that's a lot better and far more rewarding than going into a game like WoW in its current state and literally doing nothing while bosses fall before your group.
    AvarixdaltaniousSoulsemmerLionShardJeroKane

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Nice article.

I've recently returned to World of Warcraft and the disappointment in how faceroll the end game content is infinite. It doesn't feel like the WoW I remember. It's still fun, but it's crap compared to how it used to be.

It definitely sucks to miss out on content because it's too difficult and you can't get into a party that's doing it. But I think that's a lot better and far more rewarding than going into a game like WoW in its current state and literally doing nothing while bosses fall before your group.
    Yeah the thing is, the difficulty is tuned differently for WoW. You will be going in and facerolling everything on normal difficulty and even heroic, but then you get into Mythic, and one mistake wipes your group. Raiding is a tad different though, because anything that isn't in raid finder is way more difficult. Try doing a raid on Mythic and just pushing buttons. It wont work. You have to know exactly what to do when. It's incredibly difficult.
    daltaniousPsYcHoGBR
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I totally get why people who are good want content that is hard and I do not begrudge them that at all. This is what this genre has been about.

I used to raid in WoW early on when we were still in vanilla but between the time needed and the consumables and how much of my time I spent farming for money I realised I was not at all enjoying it any more so I reduced my expectations and when I was playing FFXIV I just stayed at the difficulties I was comfortable with.

I did enjoy that with the dungeon system they had you could still work towards some decent gear and feel like you achieved some measure of success even if they were not the really hard stuff. I think people need to suspend the expectation that everything must be within reach. Some of the really hard stuff has to be there to make the game memorable and also a dream for the rest of us fools who play that may be one day we might get there.
    JeroKane
    Chamber of Chains
  • H4lucinationH4lucination Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Its a mother's game, bore to the spine and they charge for it lel
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited September 2017

Nice article.

Yeah the thing is, the difficulty is tuned differently for WoW. You will be going in and facerolling everything on normal difficulty and even heroic, but then you get into Mythic, and one mistake wipes your group. Raiding is a tad different though, because anything that isn't in raid finder is way more difficult. Try doing a raid on Mythic and just pushing buttons. It wont work. You have to know exactly what to do when. It's incredibly difficult.

Doing a fight without knowing the mechanics -- having to figure them out for yourself -- is incredibly hard to do (in that you constantly wipe while doing such). Beyond that, what you are describing is playing a game how it's meant (or perhaps a better term is "balanced") to play. It is a shame that most people do just button mash -- and that games catered to this on most degrees -- but saying you have to know "what to do when" is difficult, to me, is just knowing how to play the game. There's no difficulty in it. The real difficulty is getting 20 people together that actually do care enough to "learn what to do and when" and then let addons do the rest for them.

It used to be that classes had their own difficulty curve as well. In addition to addons not being so sophisticated. This in tandem with multiple difficulties (or even one difficulty with no compromise, or having to do special things to make a fight harder, etc) made for a game where you could edit said difficulty yourself in some small way. Play the easiest spec. or class with the least mechanics to know, decide whether you need the extra help of an addon and be spoiled (as opposed to things such as DBM and others being mandatory), etc. The guild could also collectively decide if they want to challenge themselves.

This is why WoW has fallen from grace for many, and why I personally scoff at anyone who says "difficult" and "WoW" in the same sentence if they're not in the race for world first and don't have all the answers and special addons given to them for the "hardest" fights of a raid. I mean, seriously... I've seen addons that tell you distance between players, give warning signs and loud noises when you're standing in something (or about to be), for phase switches, attacks, when to use abilities, how to use abilities... even have pictures and sound telling you your entire rotation (and if you have a debuff). Plowing through an unknown boss 600 times in a row takes patience and dedication; the most difficult thing there is finding people that have that. Followed by them all actually playing the game correctly.

WoW lost a certain charm for me when to took out Challenge Modes this expansion -- as well as the ridiculous amounts of RNG. Those who say that these Mythic Dungeons replaced it never did full gold runs on CMs in MoP and WoD. They were runs that exceptional teamwork, class play, etc. was needed. Item levels were dropped and normal mobs could hit harder than raid bosses. Indeed, tips and tricks and efficiency had to be developed and executed to perfection, and one wrong button press from your tank meant you had to restart the whole dungeon and not just the last boss. Knowing when to kite, burst, constantly CCing everything imaginable, watching for ground effects that killed you in less than a second, mobs with one shot attacks. There was nothing like it.

Though WoD's break down of classes and Legion's "Fantasy classes" really eliminated much of class difficulty option as a whole. I'm starting to see signs of this in Final Fantasy, though many of the "difficult" individual classes are still incredibly rough to play perfectly. If not just flat out exhausting. Match that with level sync and normal dungons still having multiple one shot mechanics and an absence of addons... Well, it's the closest thing I have to how things used to be in WoW. Especially in Stormblood where I still see people get owned on the new Primal Fights (the easiest difficulty, no less). Kind of insane that they're so unforgiving to players who just "button mash" or "don't care". There are still tiers of "difficulty" that you can combine starting from how advanced a specific class is to play (or how face roll it is, if you want an easy class) matched with other variables and different types of content beyond just dungeons and raids (and even making it so the "Mythic" raids and "Heroic" dungeons are unique and not just a math increase with maybe an extra ability or phase (on the last boss); different paths, aesthetics, mobs, bosses, music, areas, story, etc). You can pick what you like and just stick with it.
    SignexdaltaniousGhavriggLionShardperrin82[Deleted User]
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I dunno know if I buy this line of reasoning, I mean in FFXIV if you have any social skills what so ever you are forever meeting very friendly helpful people that want you to join them, I'm sorta an introvert and I am defiantly not your typical progressive gamer...and I had to take a few days to decided between joining six guilds that all had awesome people. Honestly, I have made more freinds in this game than any other MMO I have played....ever.
    d_20
    @Yaevindusk perhaps for people like you ,you might find it quite hard to understand that moving around fast or following complicated rotations to get maximum DPS is genuinely hard for people like me. It is not about button mashing or being lazy , I sometimes want to do my best but the buttons do trip me up because I'm slow. For people like me the harder content will never be something within my reach.

I used to do the harder dungeons in FFXIV at a difficulty that was manageable for me as a healer. I was able to do them with a 12 button mouse but anything beyond those dungeons would have been too difficult and frustrating for anyone with me in the group. Perhaps I am just too slow as I am old and slow. So it's not only about being lazy or wanting things to be easy, there are people out there for whom this type of gaming is simply too hard.
    SignexJeroKaneCazriel
    Chamber of Chains
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    The problem nowadays is everyone studies the mechanics beforehand, how is this challenging? Getting timing down? Why is this even fun? Personally I would love bosses to be dynamic where you have to think on your feet, no way to know what is coming. THAT would be fun.

The most fun I ever had in an MMO recently was doing a Mythic dungeon in Legion, the group I got matched up with was all newbs (including me) to this particular dungeon. We decided screw it, let's figure it out. Was the most fun I have had since old school days. Luckily everyone was a mature adult and did not mind the pace or the few wipes we had. It was an absolute thrill to explore this place and the achievement felt when we beat it was like no other. If only this could be replicated over and over.

LionShardd_20zanfireperrin82pantaroCazriel
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Nice article.

Mythic raiding isn't faceroll. Particularly the current tier... 
    LionShard
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

The hardest content in the game should always yield exclusive top-tier rewards.  Anything else will make raiding pointless and completely kill it.

What FFXIV needs is to change up their endgame formula in general.  It's old, stale, and boring.

GhavriggzanfireJeroKane
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    I don't care if special armor, weapons, or other loot is made exclusive to the most difficult content. That's fine, people capable of beating it deserve to be rewarded for their effort. But locking crucial story content behind it is unforgivable. Everyone playing the game should be able to see the full story without resorting to looking stuff up on Youtube.

Could you imagine what the reaction would be if a modern single player RPG prevented players from seeing the ending of the game unless they beat it on the most difficult mode?

"Thank you for playing TES VI: Black Marsh! Unfortunately, you're playing on normal difficulty, and the story for the last fifth of the game is exclusive to those who play on the hardest difficulty. So 'git gud' and try again, scrub!"

Somehow I don't see that going over very well...
    dragonlee66onelesslightGreyhavenCazriel

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    From a development frame of mind making content that a large portion will never see is just a stupid idea. I am all for making things hard an having things that the people at the top can brag about. This is the one area where WoW did something right. After a couple months they unlock raids for those that don't have time to do them or any of the other reason and make it so everyone can see the content. The gear that you get isn't as good as if you did the content the way it was originally design which is a boon for those that do it that way. This was my biggest grip in a lot of games I have played to be honest. I stopped raiding many years ago, it just felt like herding a bunch of cats that always have issues (God forbid organizing a 40 man one), plus I grew up and have a real life so there is that also.

Think all developers should follow that trend if there is story or lore locked behind raid or an especially hard instance. Games like FFXIV which are 100% story fest should never have content that the majority will not see it just doesn't make sense when you think about what the base of the game is. The main reason a large portion of players play that particular game is that it is a story and lore based game. If you click thru the quest and just rush everything that really isn't the game for you to be honest as you miss 90% of what the game is.
    LionShardpantaroCazriel
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    waaaaait a sec, people complain about not being good enough? love the irony <3

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Not that I'm in the know any more since I have stopped playing from my recollection the team behind FFXIV was quite good about allowing everyone to experience the main story or scenario as they coined it. The other harder encounters did not involve part of the main story but other stories or am I to understand that they changed this now.
    Chamber of Chains
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    I don't see this as an issue in FFXIV. The only thing really keeping you from seeing content is time. Not time spent, mind you. Just time.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• HifumiHifumi Member CommonPosts: 3
    Well, I have some 7.000 hours of playtime, but I never did raid (8 people) and trial extreme. I avoid hard things. But I am happy in never see some things and continue as a casual hardcore xD
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    No player is ever likely to see all the content in an MMO its kind of unreasonable to suggest that they should, the content in an MMO has to by default, appeal to different types of players, its only really a problem if there is content that none of the players of the game ever get to see as it means that there was no interest in it. :/
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    i tried to like ff14 but gave up in heavenswards. To many go there get that quests, gated content- and well ff14 is the only MMO i call a stupid walking simulator. its just not fun! The combatsystem wasnt good either- but thats smth i could overlook since i grew up with the FF- Franchise.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    edited September 2017
    I stopped halfway through normal Omega and just got the lvl 70 class armors for the rest of my classes as well as the odd random pieces of noobish 320 gear from armoror. Be nice to do the more difficult stuff but made my choice where to spend my time and instead of having 1 class in 345/340 weapon / armor I can have every class in 320 armor or the 290 set you get given for completing the lvl 70 class quest. May grind for Augmented Lost Allagan stuff but that would be about it for me leaving alot of things out of reach for me. But that's alright.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259

Greyhaven said:

I dunno know if I buy this line of reasoning, I mean in FFXIV if you have any social skills what so ever you are forever meeting very friendly helpful people that want you to join them, I'm sorta an introvert and I am defiantly not your typical progressive gamer...and I had to take a few days to decided between joining six guilds that all had awesome people. Honestly, I have made more freinds in this game than any other MMO I have played....ever.

Lotro smashes any game for community. But FFXIV has been the second best community I have been a part of.
    Cazriel
  • JJ82JJ82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    This topic has been the bane of MMORPGs since the release of Everquest and has been the very thing that has handicapped its growth.

"People who tell you you’re awesome are useless. No, dangerous.

They are worse than useless because you want to believe them. They will defend you against critiques that are valid. They will seduce you into believing you are done learning, or into thinking that your work is better than it actually is." ~Raph Koster
    http://www.raphkoster.com/2013/10/14/on-getting-criticism/

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    I don't care if special armor, weapons, or other loot is made exclusive to the most difficult content. That's fine, people capable of beating it deserve to be rewarded for their effort. But locking crucial story content behind it is unforgivable. Everyone playing the game should be able to see the full story without resorting to looking stuff up on Youtube.

Could you imagine what the reaction would be if a modern single player RPG prevented players from seeing the ending of the game unless they beat it on the most difficult mode?

"Thank you for playing TES VI: Black Marsh! Unfortunately, you're playing on normal difficulty, and the story for the last fifth of the game is exclusive to those who play on the hardest difficulty. So 'git gud' and try again, scrub!"

Somehow I don't see that going over very well...
    The typical final fantasy formula lends itself well to having optional challenge/raid content.  I think most of them had some form of dungeon/boss content that was harder than the final boss.  

It would be a shame (and a slap in the face) if XIV didn't take advantage.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Torval said:

If you're not in that 1.5% then why should you stick around when progression for non-raid players tapers off?
    Reality is, it's the 1.5% that leave first... they only stick around long enough to beat the game... which typically happens within the first 2 weeks of any raid tier release.  They only come back when the next tier comes out... which usually is months later, if at all.

The people who don't raid actually do more in game than the raiders do.  It's still just a lack of content problem.  Raiders want more raids and PVErs want more PVE content... the difference being, raiders don't care to do PVE content but PVErs would do raid content if they could.  They however, would be more inclined to do more PVE content... if it were available.
    [Deleted User]Cazriel
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

cheyane said:

@Yaevindusk perhaps for people like you ,you might find it quite hard to understand that moving around fast or following complicated rotations to get maximum DPS is genuinely hard for people like me. It is not about button mashing or being lazy , I sometimes want to do my best but the buttons do trip me up because I'm slow. For people like me the harder content will never be something within my reach.

I used to do the harder dungeons in FFXIV at a difficulty that was manageable for me as a healer. I was able to do them with a 12 button mouse but anything beyond those dungeons would have been too difficult and frustrating for anyone with me in the group. Perhaps I am just too slow as I am old and slow. So it's not only about being lazy or wanting things to be easy, there are people out there for whom this type of gaming is simply too hard.

Well said. Many people who post on forums seem to be skill-blind and believe that everyone has the same capability to do content, which is completely untrue. The "git gud" mantra ignores the real world constraints many players face. I have fast reaction times. I'm almost always that 10th of a second faster than anyone else. I have good eye to hand coordination. That makes me a fairly good player. But I'm also hyper focused, which means I'll stand in one spot and not move. I'm also excessively attack oriented and almost always forget that I have defensive maneuvers. For these reasons, I suck big-time with classes that are primarily defense oriented.

My innate abilities have nothing to do with my being "gud", I just happen to born with them. Just as my predilection for intense focus has made me successful in other areas, it dooms me in raid content because it is just as innate as my reaction time. I have to work hard to remember to move, to pay attention to defensive possibilities, all of which makes group content very stressful, especially if I'm tanking or healing. I'm okay with dying when it's just me. I'm not okay with dying when others are depending on me to be an efficient actor in the group.