Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lost Ark - CBT2 Preview - A Fast-Paced Play Style - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageLost Ark - CBT2 Preview - A Fast-Paced Play Style - MMORPG.com

For those not following along, Lost Ark is an action RPG MMO testing right now in South Korea. It has been extremely popular with MMO fans and presents a fast paced play style similar to Diablo. The game is doing very well and western fans have been trying to break into the closed beta as they have been launching. Here is what we know so far.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I don't have high hopes for this one, though it looks really cool. It popped up 3 years ago and they're just getting to closed beta now. And there hasn't been any definite consensus as to a western release timeline, if it will release here at all.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson[Deleted User]Dyslogix
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Day 1
    TheScavenger
  • BloodscryBloodscry Member UncommonPosts: 4

Forgrimm said:

I don't have high hopes for this one, though it looks really cool. It popped up 3 years ago and they're just getting to closed beta now. And there hasn't been any definite consensus as to a western release timeline, if it will release here at all.

just saying people still have high hopes for star citizen and it slated to never come out lol
    ZandogSirBalinDyslogix
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I felt as if this was some Chinese knock off of the original that got scrapped.  The animations were so bad that they were almost good.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Forgrimm said:
    But it takes 3+ years to make an mmorpg.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Sovrath said:
    Forgrimm said:
    But it takes 3+ years to make an mmorpg.
    If it was just announced 3 years ago then I'd agree. But they had an 8 minute gameplay trailer available 3 years ago, and it was supposed to be in beta in 2015. https://www.engadget.com/2014/11/13/lost-ark-is-an-isometric-action-mmo-built-in-unreal-engine-3/
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Lineage Eternal is also failing to create working content. It's a sad time for mmos with this graphical style.
    [Deleted User]
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    They wait too long and without announcement for Western release

BDO was same but at least they promised since start a western release
    Zandog
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97

Scellow said:

They wait too long and without announcement for Western release

BDO was same but at least they promised since start a western release

And last I read, there is no plans to bring Lost Ark to the west.
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    "The payment model for the game is uncertain but many speculate that it will be free to play."

No way! Absolutely no way! Not in the west. Western players have too much money and too little sense. Just like Black Desert (which is F2P in all other regions) they'll milk the morons for as much money as they can.

And who can blame them? Heck, if I was a developer I'd do the same thing. In game development there is really only one motto "A fool and his money are soon parted".
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    please hurry

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Pesky said:
    "The payment model for the game is uncertain but many speculate that it will be free to play."

No way! Absolutely no way! Not in the west. Western players have too much money and too little sense. Just like Black Desert (which is F2P in all other regions) they'll milk the morons for as much money as they can.

And who can blame them? Heck, if I was a developer I'd do the same thing. In game development there is really only one motto "A fool and his money are soon parted".
    BDO's way worked well though. The cash shop prices here vs Korea are very nice.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    edited September 2017
    They do plan too do a international release btw. The translating is happening in Smilegate West in toronto.
    The Release probably will be after the Korean one obviously but they said it will be global unless they changed their plan. The dev has stated they will.
    [Deleted User]

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    im psyched for it.  not as much as i would be for lineage eternal or camelot unchained though.  

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • Grasshoppa2000Grasshoppa2000 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited September 2017

Torval said:

Devilian falls flat, in my opinion, because it focuses too heavily on big group and raid content.

As someone who played Devilian until end game, its biggest problems were lack of content and some serious bugs that were never fixed since Korean launch. Trion worked their magic pushing cash shop updates while not pressing Ginno for fixes. Population drops off affecting stuff like queues for dungeons and PvP. It had only two end game 9 player raid dungeons in Korea. When Trion released those same dungeons, they were end game only in the sense of the level caps instituted at the time. I left after level 56 cap so that was last July.

The archdevil dungeons do require party play (3 players) until outgeared but there are only 5 such dungeons and some of the mini bosses are the same ones from the standard soloable normal, heroic, or hell difficulty dungeons with some added mechanics. The version Trion has is a mess of recycled power crept content since the Korean version didn't really have much to begin with before it was shut down (only online for an year + 2 months).

The only other licensee was a Thai publisher who got the same Korean code (just with poor Thai localization) and they released all of the content in around 4 months, received no further content from Bluehole Ginno after September 2015, and spent the next 9 months just running events for a population that dwindled over that period. The server is still up but literally has no one playing.

Out of curiosity, I just logged into Glyph and found the population on NA is pretty dead as well. The level cap is now like the original at 60. What's amazing is that Trion only released level 60 in May this year. They managed to draw out just 6 months worth of content for close to 2.5 years!

If Lost Ark ever does see the light of day in the west, publisher will be important. Anyone know if Smilegate has some kind of investment in the dev Tripod Studio? Looking at Smilegate Wests' Glassdoor reviews is not promising at all. Looking at the inevitable forum post on their two published games by a new player, often times has that cynical response to it with lower player activity and shitty publisher.