Leaving Early Access Behind, GoE Launches on Steam - Guardians of Ember - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,976
    edited September 21

    k61977 said:


    DMKano said:


    k61977 said:

    Really, really tried to like this game, this isn't an MMO like they want to claim it is.  It doesn't even really have a player base anymore.  It is a basic multiplayer ARPG that still has lag issues.  Could have really been a great game but overall to many issues for me personally.

    Personally if you want a great single player ARPG go get grim dawn which has an xpac coming in Oct.  If you want a multiplayer ARPG go get PoE.  Both of those are two of the best ARPG on the market today depending on which playstyle, single player or multiplayer you are looking for.




    It IS a MMO - because unlike PoE - 100s of players are all in the same zones with respawning mobs - which is a tradional MMO mechanic.

    PoE does NOT have respawning mobs, and you can only clear zones with a small group, 100s of other players can't enter the same zone map your group is in. Mobs "respawn" only the when you reset the entire zone in PoE.

    Again like I said - Guardian of Ember is a themepark a mmo with arpg camera and combat - exactly like Devilian, MU Legends, ELOA (and many other korean mmo-arpg hyrbids) - and sadly Guardians of Ember is near the bottom of the list in terms of quality.

    This game should NEVER be compared to PoE, Grim Dawn, Diablo etc.. as it's only that in terms of how it looks and combat.

    Everything else plays exactly like a themepark MMO - linear questing, linear gear progression, linear builds, respawning mobs etc....

    compared to traditional ARPGs - crazy amount of loot (inventory tetris), 1000s of gearing and build options (like PoE) - none of this exists in Guardian of Ember - because it's not an ARPG in core design, it's a themepark MMO (just like again Devilian, MU legends, ELOA - upcoming Lost ARK is also a themepark MMO with ARPG combat and camera - so compare it to those games).



    We just have to disagree and that is OK.  To me it is not a MMO, it is closer to a ARPG.  For me MMO means thousands in the same world not hundreds by the way, but that is subjective just like the term MMO.

    Linear gear is ARPG also by the way.  Your gear gets better as you go, you don't downgrade, just look at a game like say Diablo 3 where once you get your endgame gear that is it you don't get more gear till they increase or change something with an xpac.

    The only thing in this game that resembles a MMO is questing, and even then most ARPG have that to. 

    So like I said if you want to play a game that resembles a ARPG solo you play Grim Dawn as it is the best solo ARPG on the market today.  If you want to play a multiplayer ARPG play PoE as it is in the top of the market.  This game along with the Devilian, etc are just cash grab crap.

    Lastly if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably a duck.




    MU Legends can handle 1000s in the same world - not in the same zone - but in the same world like EQ1. EQ1 couldn't handle 1000s in the same zone either.

    Why is that not a MMORPG?

    MU Legends is a 100% themepark MMO with ARPG combat and isometric cam.
    Linear gear in ARPG is not the same as it is this game. Sorry.

    ARPG gear is RNG based - with RNG stats - not the case here.

    RNG stat gear is very much a traditional ARPG mechanic.

    Questing that rewards gear - that's a themepark MMO design, guess what game has this? And guess what games don't - yep ARPGs where gearing comes as RNG drops from bosses/mobs - PoE, Grim Dawn, Diablo series

    This game along with Lost Ark, Devilian, Mu Legends - are all the same genre - Thempark MMOs with ARPG combat and isometric cam.

    They don't have deep gear/skill builds like PoE/Grim Dawn.

    Two entirely different genres.
    Post edited by DMKano on
  • freedomaniafreedomania bangkokMember UncommonPosts: 18

    Mikeha said:

    Waiting for Lost Ark and Mu Legend



    me too
  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAMember UncommonPosts: 1,794
    Lost Ark PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,764
    Not that I get hung up on the semantics but I have a couple categories for action RPG combos. I have ARPG where I put Victor Vran, Grim Dawn, Hero Siege, etc and RPG Action where I put Ember, Amalur, Fable, Kyn, Shadows of Mordor, etc. Guardians of Ember is in my MMO category with Tree of Savior and WAKFU. All but a couple MMOs are off Steam because that's how I like it.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • majimaji CologneMember UncommonPosts: 2,085
    I won't play that game. That "pay money to expand inventory" nonsense by itself is already reason enough. What are you paying there for? For additional content? For something they put work into? Nope. You pay for them to remove an obstacle they invested time in to create.

    It's like going to a movie theatre, to have one of the staff sit behind you and constantly bump the back of your chair unless you pay them to stop.

    If it's about paying money for newly created fancy content? Then sure, I might do that if I think it's worth it. But paying money to remove limits artificially placed on you? Nah thanks. There are enough good games out there without such nonsense.

    Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

    Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAMember UncommonPosts: 2,006
    I must admit I am enjoying it so far

    the only issue I have is that after purchase, my claims only went to my first character, and I wanted to try all classes to 10 or so before proceeding, and having the mount and pet is nice, but the character I really enjoy most so far doesn't have it
  • onlinenow25onlinenow25 San Diego, CAMember UncommonPosts: 305

    Ozmodan said:


    Aori said:

    -shrug- or you could just play PoE for free.. :/


    What a nonsensical response!  It would be very frustrating to play it without spending some cash on it.  POE can get expensive if you want to enjoy it's full benefits.  More free to try, but you will still want to pay to play.

    Personally that is why I like Grim Dawn better than POE, I am not constantly spending money on it.



    What Exactly are you "Constantly Spending Cash On" in PoE? Cosmetic MTX? Your buying 90+ Bank Spaces over time? Which are completely not needed. Especially if you play Seasons because your bank stash from your season carries over to any Non-Season league as Remove only items.

    Your post screams at trying to bash PoE about its MTX which is actually one of its strongest points. Now if you complained about balance, constant one shots even with proper high investment into health/energy shield (as close to at least 200% passives as you can along with Life/Energy shield on every item you can); terrible to non-existent defensive options that lead to the current EHP or bust; constant destruction of builds and ability gems being nerfed to uselessness sure I would 100% agree to you.

    But what your saying is factually wrong.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,764
    Myrdynn said:
    I must admit I am enjoying it so far

    the only issue I have is that after purchase, my claims only went to my first character, and I wanted to try all classes to 10 or so before proceeding, and having the mount and pet is nice, but the character I really enjoy most so far doesn't have it

    I think this is a great point. They should have provided all character with the mounts and extra package goodies. You can trade your mount with other characters so it's possible, but it's a pain in the butt and something I forgot about when I first logged in again after a break.
    Octagon7711
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • axtrantiaxtranti houston, TXMember UncommonPosts: 49

    Ozmodan said:


    Aori said:

    -shrug- or you could just play PoE for free.. :/


    What a nonsensical response!  It would be very frustrating to play it without spending some cash on it.  POE can get expensive if you want to enjoy it's full benefits.  More free to try, but you will still want to pay to play.

    Personally that is why I like Grim Dawn better than POE, I am not constantly spending money on it.



    Played 3000 hours of poe without spending a cent and completed all content and hitting 100 multiple times in hc. Never felt the need of spending money.

    asdasdasd

  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 16,976
    edited September 23
    Torval said:
    Not that I get hung up on the semantics but I have a couple categories for action RPG combos. I have ARPG where I put Victor Vran, Grim Dawn, Hero Siege, etc and RPG Action where I put Ember, Amalur, Fable, Kyn, Shadows of Mordor, etc. Guardians of Ember is in my MMO category with Tree of Savior and WAKFU. All but a couple MMOs are off Steam because that's how I like it.


    To me, as far as isometric ARPGs -  there is a very clear distintion

    Isometric MMO-ARPG:

    game world supports 100s/1000s of players in the same maps, just like any MMORPG. When you play in a world - you will see random players strolling by, fighting mobs etc.. just like in WoW. Mobs respawn - this is a traditional MMO mechanic. The character class/build customization options are limited, the gear usually has fixed stats. 

    Examples of isometric MMO-ARPGs are - MU Legends, ELOA, Lost Ark, Devilian, Guardians of Ember, Lineage Eternal etc....



    Isometeric ARPG:

    game maps are limited to a single player or a group, you will never see 100s of random players in maps where you play as once you enter the maps are created exclusively for you and your party.  Also ARPGs you can "clear" a map as mobs don't respawn, since the maps don't have to accommodate lots of players there is no need for them to respawn. Character class/builds are very deep and diverse, the gear has RNG stats and there is a plethora of it to choose from.



    examples of isometric ARPGs - Diablo 1/2/3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Torchlight
    Post edited by DMKano on
    TorvalConstantineMerus
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Beaumont, CAMember UncommonPosts: 2,006
    so as a casual gamer nowadays, I am enjoying this game quite a bit, I have every class to 10-12 so far, and started doing some Horde runs. I like the depth of the customization, and I like the fact that there are zero cookie cutter guides out there. I like that my Priest can wield a pistol/shield, or dual wield daggers, or carry a crossbow. I like that my Ranger can wield a wand and a shield. It makes for some interesting customization so far

    It will probably suck in a few weeks, as everyone else hates it, but I am enjoying my time so far, and in no rush
    TorvalManWithNoTan
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Denver, ColoradoMember UncommonPosts: 133
    I'll stick with Albion Online.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,764
    DMKano said:
    Torval said:
    Not that I get hung up on the semantics but I have a couple categories for action RPG combos. I have ARPG where I put Victor Vran, Grim Dawn, Hero Siege, etc and RPG Action where I put Ember, Amalur, Fable, Kyn, Shadows of Mordor, etc. Guardians of Ember is in my MMO category with Tree of Savior and WAKFU. All but a couple MMOs are off Steam because that's how I like it.


    To me, as far as isometric ARPGs -  there is a very clear distintion

    Isometric MMO-ARPG:

    game world supports 100s/1000s of players in the same maps, just like any MMORPG. When you play in a world - you will see random players strolling by, fighting mobs etc.. just like in WoW. Mobs respawn - this is a traditional MMO mechanic. The character class/build customization options are limited, the gear usually has fixed stats. 

    Examples of isometric MMO-ARPGs are - MU Legends, ELOA, Lost Ark, Devilian, Guardians of Ember, Lineage Eternal etc....



    Isometeric ARPG:

    game maps are limited to a single player or a group, you will never see 100s of random players in maps where you play as once you enter the maps are created exclusively for you and your party.  Also ARPGs you can "clear" a map as mobs don't respawn, since the maps don't have to accommodate lots of players there is no need for them to respawn. Character class/builds are very deep and diverse, the gear has RNG stats and there is a plethora of it to choose from.



    examples of isometric ARPGs - Diablo 1/2/3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Torchlight
    Agreed. I would divide those games into those same categories. My Steam categories probably need a bit of work. I used to only have a few, not I have 31 right now plus the default "games" category. I play most of my MMOs on their own platform and not Steam so my MMO section on Steam is tiny. I might break them out.

    The problem with categories is games often fit into more than one or don't fit neatly into one of the major categories. Some games have been shoved in a few categories until I can think of a better one.

    So yeah, GoM is an MMO-ARPG to me along with those you listed. I hope the genre gains traction in the west, but my expectations there are low. Suvival and Battle Royale are the flavors of the day.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • SinfulChrisSinfulChris Sacramento, CAMember UncommonPosts: 73
    "From the creators of Runes of Magic"

    That isn't something you want people to know.

    RoM was a crappy wow knockoff with one of the worst cash shops I've seen.
    Ozmodan
  • WarlyxWarlyx UnknowMember RarePosts: 2,381
    they finally fixed the horrible gameplay/animations and whatnot? because i tried to enjoy it but ugh
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Toronto, ONMember RarePosts: 1,347
    Originally was hype for this game.

    Not after I played it though.
    pantaro
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,996
    Diablo clone that wants you to buy stuff for each character you create. Good luck with that.

    "Change is the only constant."

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,764
    edited October 3
    Diablo clone that wants you to buy stuff for each character you create. Good luck with that.

    You can trade things between characters like mounts. The other MMO-ARPGs like Path of Exile and Devilian have per character purchases as well. It's not really fair to single out this game for what is standard in most MMOs and ARPGs. Although, like I said in an above post, it wouldn't hurt for them to make them account bound and put one on each character. 
    Post edited by Torval on
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
Sign In or Register to comment.