Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Lowers the Boom on AFKers - Heroes of the Storm - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Lowers the Boom on AFKers - Heroes of the Storm - MMORPG.com

Heroes of the Storm News - Blizzard has posted a brief note to let Heroes of the Storm players know that a new round of account suspensions has been issued specifically targeting AFKers and other "non-participants". Players who have repeatedly and purposely died throughout cooperative matches have also been suspended. According to devs, "these actions were targeted at players whose in-game performance data, combined with high report volume, clearly shows a consistent lack of contribution".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• aeunexcoreaeunexcore Member UncommonPosts: 45
    First and good for them.
    SBFordIceAgeCryolitycalXingbairong
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited September 2017
    WTG Blizzard love this . I like how they studied the performance data then banned them. "Consistent lack of contribution" in other words leeches or farmers.
    SBFordCryolitycalXingbairongMrMelGibsonXadvid

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I absolutely hated every time people would go afk in matches. I'm glad they are doing this now.
    SBFordIceAgeCryolitycalMrMelGibson
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited September 2017
    Well this is good but how does this work with toxicity I've had players harassing chat in HOTS before directing toxic comments to others on the team just because they were new, or because they didn't play a specific way others agree with so you turn off your chat to avoid hearing it.

The problem with this is (Based off reports) I hope that Blizzard actually reviews stuff because in Smite & DOTA 2 currently if you get reported in 2-4 games of DOTA 2 in casual mode or all pick or any other mode for communication abuse (The automated system suspends your account for 5 or so games in LPQ mode.)

While in Smite you get banned for 7-14 days for Intentionally Feeding if people report you for doing bad with little or no good will.

***I've been playing MOBA more than MMORPG for the last years***

And it seems like League OF Legends has gotten it right over there years, I can only hope Blizzard gets it right too suspending AFKers is great if they are doing it every game, but based off reports from toxic players can be a problem depending on how their system works. Although it did take League OF Legends some time to finally get things right but it started going better after they got rid of the Tribunal and added automated detections I can't remember the last time I got suspended now from that game by any automated system because its been quite awhile ago, but Smite & DOTA 2 need to fall in line with LOL.
    Cryolitycal
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Renoaku said:
    Well this is good but how does this work with toxicity I've had players harassing chat in HOTS before directing toxic comments to others on the team just because they were new, or because they didn't play a specific way others agree with so you turn off your chat to avoid hearing it.
    Chat/emote mute and block features are "problem solved" IMO to the best extent possible. Toxic players will feed themselves out in that regard. It makes sense to put in man hours to scan data for afk or intentionally feeding, since that can lose the match and that is the reason for being there. If only there was a system that gathered real-time data and if the other team mates clicked a box it would make the afk player turn to an AI bot. Not perfect but would at least be better than them being afk.
    SBFordCryolitycal
    Aelious said:
    Renoaku said:
    Chat/emote mute and block features are "problem solved" IMO to the best extent possible. Toxic players will feed themselves out in that regard. It makes sense to put in man hours to scan data for afk or intentionally feeding, since that can lose the match and that is the reason for being there. If only there was a system that gathered real-time data and if the other team mates clicked a box it would make the afk player turn to an AI bot. Not perfect but would at least be better than them being afk.
    Yeah  I know I mute toxic players as soon as they say hateful things, but that doesn't stop abuse like in DOTA 2 if you get reported too much in a single day lets say play 8 games out of 8 games 3 have toxic players you get reported you get automatically punished.

Im not sure if this will be a problem with HOTS or not, but its a problem with Smite if at zero good will and DOTA 2.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Renoaku said:
    Aelious said:
    Renoaku said:
    Yeah  I know I mute toxic players as soon as they say hateful things, but that doesn't stop abuse like in DOTA 2 if you get reported too much in a single day lets say play 8 games out of 8 games 3 have toxic players you get reported you get automatically punished.

Im not sure if this will be a problem with HOTS or not, but its a problem with Smite if at zero good will and DOTA 2.
    Yeah that's the problem with the MOBA genre in general. It seems like the reporting system is a very abused system by toxic players and in general invites people to spam reports. In 99% of the mobas I've played (almost every one of them) there is always 1 player in every game or two that is upset about something and spamming REPORT X PLAYER THEY SUCK, or REPORT X PLAYER FEEDING when you might not even be feeding intentionally. It's a very weird system to allow players to report other players for doing bad. How does someone get better if every time they do bad someone reports them. 
    alexmoyt
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

I absolutely hated every time people would go afk in matches. I'm glad they are doing this now.

afk in QM matter?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    As I've never played, what motivates players to go afk, I assume they still get some sort of reward for participating.

Intentionally die repetitively, where's the benefit in that action.

Finally, what is "player feeding" all about or why is it bad?

(Go easy on me, I've never played a MOBA, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express) :)
    jimmywolf

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Arskaaa said:

afk in QM matter?
    It matters to the people that play Quick Match
    edited September 2017

Renoaku said:

Aelious said:

Renoaku said:

Yeah that's the problem with the MOBA genre in general. It seems like the reporting system is a very abused system by toxic players and in general invites people to spam reports. In 99% of the mobas I've played (almost every one of them) there is always 1 player in every game or two that is upset about something and spamming REPORT X PLAYER THEY SUCK, or REPORT X PLAYER FEEDING when you might not even be feeding intentionally. It's a very weird system to allow players to report other players for doing bad. How does someone get better if every time they do bad someone reports them. 

Well this is something that Riot Games over at League OF Legends got right it took me around 20+ suspensions no joke over years of playing the game a (Perma Ban) which I got appealed, and over the years the game has improved I still have my original LOL account too but Riot Games for example has made some of the best effort and changes I have seen by far in a MOBA.

The Tribunal for example was a problem because whenever people don't agree with you they spam "Report X Player" for X reason, this could be because someone took Teemo Top for example and they got upset so they would report you and then your case went to the tribunal you would get judged and banned sometimes for the slightest of things because Riot Games used to see it as upsetting your team is ban worthy in their eyes.

Over the years though they finally Removed Tribunal which prevented this, now they use completely automated system that detects "Intentional Feeding" we are not just talking about one game of going 2-15 in likely won't get you banned because it happens especially in lower ELO, and their automated system is really great at detecting things like Racism etc, and when reported combined with this it scans for language used by the person being reported for example "KYS" or other hateful comments in chat and flags them and is really good at catching it I have not experimented to know if one game will get you chat restrictions but if its bad enough it will.

*** The biggest thing Smite needs to Adopt for example which I got 2x suspensions there for no good reason at all*** Is the system which automatically bans players for saying ***REPORT X PLAYER FOR X REASON, like this is toxic itself, because for one its taking focus away from the game a player is already doing bad and they likely know it harassing chat doesn't help, sure I can mute people for example or turn off my chat entirely which is what I do but then that disables pings and communication as a whole and its disruptive, something (Riot Games) has gotten right over the years which saying to report another now gets you chat restricted on first offenses.

The problem with DOTA 2 & Smite currenctly is that they are too sensitive with punishments I will post a link for an example.

https://imgur.com/a/Z6YRU Here is an example of the toxicity I see in Smite as a game, if you get reported though too much you get banned, and the problem with smtie is people don't always talk so you have to use your best judgment to what people are even playing because there is (No Role Selection) in smite which is what actually reduces toxicity in League OF Legends by a lot as some players are better at playing early game during a solo phase alone rather than in any DUO role, just something I know from experience, DOTA 2 also doesn't have a role selection which is also a problem over there and both games have lots of toxicity.

***Which leads me to the concerns about HOTS*** I haven't received any bans or punishments over there I somehow hope it doesn't happen but that game has toxic ragers too not as many as DOTA 2 or smite though.

Also Smites rules are clear "You can officially only get banned for "INTENTIONALLY FEEDING" not dying 10 times because your ADC yelled at you and was toxic in chat telling you to leave lane and harassing you muting toxic players doesn't always help when the report functions can be manipulated and abused by toxic players.
    Kyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited September 2017
     Player feeding if I recall from my League days is when your poor playing or intentional poor playing leads to your death and allows the other side to gain experience off you and allow them to gain money and ability to upgrade their items. @Kyleran

In these MOBAs usually there is a vendor at the beginning and the enemy team can buy items off them so if a player dies repeatedly to the enemy it strengthens to a point where the other team cannot overcome the difference and loses.
    Kyleran

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Go Blizzard Ban Hammer.

Luis Suarez admits biting Giorgio Chiellini at World Cup
    [Deleted User]Xingbairong

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

kitarad said:

Player feeding if I recall from my League days is when your poor playing or intentional poor playing leads to your death and allows the other side to gain experience off you and allow them to gain money and ability to upgrade their items. @Kyleran

In these MOBAs usually there is a vendor at the beginning and the enemy team can buy items off them so if a player dies repeatedly to the enemy it strengthens to a point where the other team cannot overcome the difference and loses.

Yeah, but its not only that which causes a loss of a game.

. For example I just lost two games in smtie cuz our aries didn't know how to use ultimate and combo sync with mine we could have won so was useless.

. Feeding generally isn't Intentional a player can end up 0-25 i've sent new players in League this negative before myself dived at level 3 as well and lived.

. Feeding generally occurs especially in DOTA 2 which is more unforgiving and smite due to things like Lack of knowledge on your own Champion, Lack of knowledge of enemy skills, wrong builds, denied farm generally zoning in Smtie can be a problem especially in countered and your jungle is garbage / throwing your lane off and doesn't know how to actually gank it can create issues depending on the god being played.

Feeding the enemy obviously leads to a faster loss, but there are other ways to lose too many other ways such as not pulling off a combo at the right time, one little mistake can throw a game and when players end up feeding not including just myself its usually because something actually happens not because its intentional especially when you get toxic players on your team its even worse.
  • RufusUORufusUO Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Renoaku said:
    I read this and all I could think of was those silly online "Hot or Not" quizzes.  Then I asked myself "2 HOTS or Not 2 HOTS?"

I played HOTS when it first came out, but only for a few weeks.  Seemed fun but, then again, I was playing it for fun... most people I played with were ostensibly playing it for their own mortality.

So, I guess I chose Not 2 HOTS.
    Renoaku said:

Renoaku said:

Aelious said:

Renoaku said:

Well this is something that Riot Games over at League OF Legends got right it took me around 20+ suspensions no joke over years of playing the game a (Perma Ban) which I got appealed, and over the years the game has improved I still have my original LOL account too but Riot Games for example has made some of the best effort and changes I have seen by far in a MOBA.

The Tribunal for example was a problem because whenever people don't agree with you they spam "Report X Player" for X reason, this could be because someone took Teemo Top for example and they got upset so they would report you and then your case went to the tribunal you would get judged and banned sometimes for the slightest of things because Riot Games used to see it as upsetting your team is ban worthy in their eyes.

Over the years though they finally Removed Tribunal which prevented this, now they use completely automated system that detects "Intentional Feeding" we are not just talking about one game of going 2-15 in likely won't get you banned because it happens especially in lower ELO, and their automated system is really great at detecting things like Racism etc, and when reported combined with this it scans for language used by the person being reported for example "KYS" or other hateful comments in chat and flags them and is really good at catching it I have not experimented to know if one game will get you chat restrictions but if its bad enough it will.

*** The biggest thing Smite needs to Adopt for example which I got 2x suspensions there for no good reason at all*** Is the system which automatically bans players for saying ***REPORT X PLAYER FOR X REASON, like this is toxic itself, because for one its taking focus away from the game a player is already doing bad and they likely know it harassing chat doesn't help, sure I can mute people for example or turn off my chat entirely which is what I do but then that disables pings and communication as a whole and its disruptive, something (Riot Games) has gotten right over the years which saying to report another now gets you chat restricted on first offenses.

The problem with DOTA 2 & Smite currenctly is that they are too sensitive with punishments I will post a link for an example.

https://imgur.com/a/Z6YRU Here is an example of the toxicity I see in Smite as a game, if you get reported though too much you get banned, and the problem with smtie is people don't always talk so you have to use your best judgment to what people are even playing because there is (No Role Selection) in smite which is what actually reduces toxicity in League OF Legends by a lot as some players are better at playing early game during a solo phase alone rather than in any DUO role, just something I know from experience, DOTA 2 also doesn't have a role selection which is also a problem over there and both games have lots of toxicity.

***Which leads me to the concerns about HOTS*** I haven't received any bans or punishments over there I somehow hope it doesn't happen but that game has toxic ragers too not as many as DOTA 2 or smite though.

Also Smites rules are clear "You can officially only get banned for "INTENTIONALLY FEEDING" not dying 10 times because your ADC yelled at you and was toxic in chat telling you to leave lane and harassing you muting toxic players doesn't always help when the report functions can be manipulated and abused by toxic players.
    You know, no matter which game is discussed, you seem to always be "that guy", the one who is regularly getting moderated, warned, suspended and banned.

Always embroiled in controversies over toxicity, intentional feeding, or accused of cheating somehow,  yet always unfairly maligned and here you commend the devs for finally stopping you by improving their game.

Did your parents drop you on your head one too many times or something?

The really strange thing is while I'm sure there are many players who behave as you do, few come to a forum to share their misdeeds.

It's a lot like reading "Diary of an A@@hat" or something. 

Entertaining for sure, but why do it, absolution or something?

Here, I'll help, say 5 hail Mary's, donate $50 to the "Church of Kyle" and come back next month.

;)
    [Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited September 2017

You know, no matter which game is discussed, you seem to always be "that guy", the one who is regularly getting moderated, warned, suspended and banned.

Always embroiled in controversies over toxicity, intentional feeding, or accused of cheating somehow,  yet always unfairly maligned and here you commend the devs for finally stopping you by improving their game.

Did your parents drop you on your head one too many times or something?

The really strange thing is while I'm sure there are many players who behave as you do, few come to a forum to share their misdeeds.

It's a lot like reading "Diary of an A@@hat" or something. 

Entertaining for sure, but why do it, absolution or something?

Here, I'll help, say 5 hail Mary's, donate $50 to the "Church of Kyle" and come back next month.

;)

Not every game really I've only been perma-banned from from one game in the past 10+ years for something that is stupid nor could they prove 100%, and the game took a turn for the worst not saying the name here because in my eyes the game is dead not worth the drama but it was fun while the game lasted during early alpha.

And no my parents didn't drop me on the head lol, I would just say its bad luck to get accused of cheating, at least I have EAC, & Battleye on my PC I have never been accused of cheating, or using hacks of any kind by any Anti-Cheat so far so I think I am good, you can't really help stupidity of people when they design a game improperly, and have many failures including things like bad game design which leads to people committing fraud because of it in which it was unlucky for a transaction of mine with no RL money involved to get caught up with such a person.

But anyways I've been playing MOBA for many years actually more often than I do ESO currently, and I've been playing Smite since its Beta / Release and since the new good-will system was put in its automated, if people report you too much you get an automated punishment for "MatchMake Griefing" its the same way in DOTA 2, if people argue with you or you don't play towards someone elses standards you get reported and put in LPQ for like 5 games, its a common flaw some of the MOBA's have.

But this is a problem with DOTA 2 & Smite so far, its a development problem because they can't have 1000+ people there to watch every game that a player plays to see if they are really intentionally feeding for example so they have an automated system do it and anaylze reports and that is the core problem with it "Toxic people" abuse the reporting system and if it happens over a said number of games you get suspended or punished.

Which is the concern about HOTS & Over Watch, I somehow doubt it happens over there but the concern is if people get reported for playing a Hero people don't agree with for example "Widowmaker" in over-watch people get toxic and threaten reports over voice simply because they don't agree one of the most toxic heroes people yell over, I haven't been punished for this yet as I just disable comms completely, but time will tell if their new system has problems.

And the same thing with HOTS people disagree with a hero being played, or champion or way its being played they get toxic, now I haven't encountered a lot of these games but I've had a few of them where players get toxic yelling rude things in chat.

** Personally I've started my collection of snap-shots of toxicity abuse.** As well as every warning I get in Smite for example just to document everything this way it can be proven, although I deleted the ones a month ago from the old suspension but it was because a guy kept yelling at me "LEAVE LANE" and refused to play created a negative experience and I turned off chat and did poorly compared to what the game could have been and getting reported for (Other) with 168 hour suspension or 7 days, so it happens it might not happen to everyone it varies depending on who you get matched with, what ELO / Rank your in as well.

But in reality when it comes down to MOBA's you also got a thing called "Baiting Toxicity" which is basically when a person has over 9000 proxies and can change their hardware information, doesn't care if they get banned so they go into MOBA's like LOL for the sole purpose to harassment others and bait them into saying hateful things then report each-other and both get banned that is why muting works the best to avoid chat toxicity. Which also brings out the issue, asking other players to report another player in chat should result in a punishment on the user asking for such due to being "unsportsmanlike" conduct, at least this is what LOL does and it works it would prevent a lot of trolls from abusing the system and get the real abusers out of games.
    By a show of hands, anyone else here experienced the situations described to any significant degree?

Lets just generally say that MOBA's require a lot of skill, and besides the "AFK issue" they use automated systems to punish reports, I am not sure if Blizzard's new methods are bad or not yet only time of playing will tell if I ever receive any warnings, I just know with smtie & DOTA 2 it can be an issue.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20759226286#1

^ I posted that over there so far people are saying every game is reviewed I find that hard to believe unless its like chat logs of toxicity, but I figure it will still be lined to a system that is somewhat automated.

Generally speaking about toxicity though I find it less common in HOTS because of the way its played, but in games where it involves Lanes & Roles there is more toxicity I believe but it happens especially in Ranked people are trying to advance, people don't play to one persons standards, or play poorly and harassment starts.

I will go head on HOTS in awhile and do like 10 games and see if I encounter any toxic or afk players :3.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Kyleran said:
    By a show of hands, anyone else here experienced the situations described to any significant degree?
    Players going AFK during a match in a MOBA?  Sometimes yes, not often.  My biggest gripe is the players who rage quit or abandon matches.

People are too quick to accuse team mates of intentional feeding.  New players are going to die a lot.  They're not doing it on purpose.
    Octagon7711Kyleran[Deleted User]Panther2103

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Me going to see if his account is suspended for angry , mad chat , because of the (**(#@ bad , afk , solo , etc players ..

and ...

I am good ... I am good :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

edited September 2017
    Rhoklaw said:
    Aren't players able to play games however they see fit within the confines of the mechanics? Maybe someone enjoys losing. So now they can't play because it's not what everyone else wants? Sounds like a discrimination lawsuit, lol.
    Generally I would say yes, although even Riot has banned some professional players for going "Singed Support" off Meta because it upset their team, although having "Role Selection" in the game now avoids that because players can fill whatever two roles they want like almost 100% of the time.

But people do get toxic over it because when doing random queue in any MOBA you can never get 5 brains to think alike so that generally leads to negativity and toxicity.

Although generally speaking I've played 5 HOTS games today I didn't encounter any toxicty at all no threats to report or anything so perhaps HOTS won't have the issue Smite & DOTA 2 has.

In games where Roles are choosen or Draft in a MOBA it generally gets banned if you get reported too much for playing off meta or not the way someone likes I haven't played HOTS long enough to unlock enough or high enough level to do ranked / draft yet if the game has it.

Although even in 4 other players are against someone playing a specific hero its not like they offer you the option to back out and quit / re join another game without enduring the toxicity?
    MOBAs sound like very strange game worlds, people routinely trying to punish others for losing, and thinking people regularly would do so on purpose.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Kyleran said:
    MOBAs sound like very strange game worlds, people routinely trying to punish others for losing, and thinking people regularly would do so on purpose.

Nice drop you have there! Where did you get it ? From a World Quest? :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    What if you just plain suck at the game but enjoy it? Im guessing those players get banned too?
    KyleranBruceYee