Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Divinity Original Sin 2 - RIP #1 - It's Hard to Tear Yourself Away - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDivinity Original Sin 2 - RIP #1 - It's Hard to Tear Yourself Away - MMORPG.com

The hallmark of a great movie, book or game is how we can be drawn into the world created by the author, director or developer. Over this weekend, we've been playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 and the hardest part has been having to tear ourselves away to write this article. Make no mistake: Divinity: Original Sin 2 is something special, even among the other amazing CRPGs that have come out in the past year or two.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Amazing game. The best rpg in years imo. I'm already hoping there will be an expansion.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonDrengarth86subxaeroThunder073
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    From what I've played so far, it's a 10.  
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson[Deleted User]Octagon7711Drengarth86Thunder073

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I wanna get into it, but I gotta known: are elemental status effects as huge a deal in the sequel as in the original?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I wanna get into it, but I gotta known: are elemental status effects as huge a deal in the sequel as in the original?
    They do make a big difference.  
    MadFrenchie

Ahh, I didn't like how heavy-handed that mechanic was on the first, so I'll probably have to pass on this one, too.  A bummer. :/

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190

Ahh, I didn't like how heavy-handed that mechanic was on the first, so I'll probably have to pass on this one, too.  A bummer. :/

There are ways to deal with them though. Highly suggest giving it a look over. I was taken back by the first but decided I was going to beat it and see what the hype was about. Their twist on the usual fantasy is refreshing and they have an "Explore" mode if the combat is not your thing entirely.
    edited September 2017
    Phixion13 said:

There are ways to deal with them though. Highly suggest giving it a look over. I was taken back by the first but decided I was going to beat it and see what the hype was about. Their twist on the usual fantasy is refreshing and they have an "Explore" mode if the combat is not your thing entirely.
    I was able to get around a lot of them in the first, but just didn't see it as something I could stick to long-term while attempting to avoid that mechanic as much as possible.  I'd be willing to play it through for the RPG if I could get a mod that decreased the effectiveness of these effects.

I don't mind status effects and area hazards, just felt it was far too much in the first for my tastes.

Either way, not knocking the game as an RPG, as it does seem to be an epic experience.  This is one of those things where my personal preference is just too strong to stomach a core mechanic I dislike.

EDIT- I should add that I don't want the content to be faceroll easy or anything, just have an issue with the amount of that one thing used in the combat.  Which is why I'm going to keep an eye out for a mod on it to give this a try.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Game of the year in my book.
    SBFordMrMelGibson[Deleted User]pantaroOctagon7711bartoni33Phixion13
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    DMKano said:

Yes - IMO its still pretty heavy handed in that aspect
    No it's not.  Almost 40 hrs into the game and have had plenty of fights where I didn't even use elemental status effects.  Each character has magic armor that prevents you from getting elemental and status effects (like poison) till that armor is eradicated.  In the first game I would agree with you 100%. Since you could freeze and etc right off the bat. In the sequel, elemental status isn't the only focus.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Phixion13
    Phixion13 said:

I was able to get around a lot of them in the first, but just didn't see it as something I could stick to long-term while attempting to avoid that mechanic as much as possible.  I'd be willing to play it through for the RPG if I could get a mod that decreased the effectiveness of these effects.

I don't mind status effects and area hazards, just felt it was far too much in the first for my tastes.

Either way, not knocking the game as an RPG, as it does seem to be an epic experience.  This is one of those things where my personal preference is just too strong to stomach a core mechanic I dislike.

EDIT- I should add that I don't want the content to be faceroll easy or anything, just have an issue with the amount of that one thing used in the combat.  Which is why I'm going to keep an eye out for a mod on it to give this a try.
    You'll be happy to know they did a real good job of fixing the elemental status priority of the first game.  It's still in game, but with magic armor it's not your only way of attacking.  You can even build a full strength and finesse team and not use any spellcasters.  Use gear with a ton of magic armor and status effects are almost trivial.
    [Deleted User]SBFordMadFrenchiePhixion13
    Torval said:
    Good write up. Can you have multiple sets of saves so you could have a single player campaign going and also one with your friend?

What type of undead is the character? In my fantasy lore history that's more of a state than a race (yeah I know WoW does it as a race). Is it a state, a race, what form does it take, and what is the explanation for the character being "that".
    Yes, you can make as many saves as you like.

As far as undead.  You have one unique undead and you can also make a custom undead elf, lizard, human and dwarf.  The explanation is that you are an ancient race.  A race that has mostly disappeared minus a few left in the world.  As an undead you wear a special helmet that makes you look like one of the living races so you don't scare people. If you go into a town without your helmet, You'll be attacked.

The character also reacts differently than your standard living.  Healing injuries them, but poison heals them. So it makes for a much different play through.  My second play through will be as an undead.
    [Deleted User]Myrdynn
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's been a while since I played the first but I remember the game being much easier if all your characters could summon a minion of some sort. Is that still the case with this one?
    MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    It's been a while since I played the first but I remember the game being much easier if all your characters could summon a minion of some sort. Is that still the case with this one?
    Yes, you can make any character learn any school of magic including summoning. Atm I have 2 characters who can summon. My main character's summon is a black cat which I didn't get from the summoning school.  Just something cool I picked up from a quest.  I imagine though if all 4 of my characters were summoning minions, it would definitely be advantageous to my overall strategy.  
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I hear such good things about this game, in general and from friends. Yet, I don't think I could stomach that top down arpg camera system and turn based combat. Anyone else dislike these features and found the game so amazing that it's worth a go anyway?
    Peskyshalissar
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Alomar said:
    I hear such good things about this game, in general and from friends. Yet, I don't think I could stomach that top down arpg camera system and turn based combat. Anyone else dislike these features and found the game so amazing that it's worth a go anyway?
    It's an acquired taste. Or more precisely, a remembered taste for me. Bioware and others made it popular with Baldur's gate, NWN and others and several other companies did it too. I played 100s of hours with this type of turn-based RPG a 15 - 20 years ago.

I admit it did feel odd in a way going back to it a couple of years back when this type of RPG got a revival. But they're really nothing like arpgs that are all about a single character and breakneck action. These are all about slow pacing and strategy. The only thing they have in common is the isometric view.
    MrMelGibsonSBFordXoph
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Phixion13 said:

You'll be happy to know they did a real good job of fixing the elemental status priority of the first game.  It's still in game, but with magic armor it's not your only way of attacking.  You can even build a full strength and finesse team and not use any spellcasters.  Use gear with a ton of magic armor and status effects are almost trivial.
    That does sound much better.  I don't mind having them as a part of combat, just hated feeling chained to it in the first entry.  Thanks for the info!
    MrMelGibson

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    I tried this game myself and didn't like it, it just felt too.. slow to me, both the combat and the moving around the map. I didn't see any options either to like speed it up or anything least up to where I was. I'd rate it a 6/10 myself due to how the game feels like your moving thru a swamp.
    MrMelGibsonPhixion13

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Siveria said:
    I tried this game myself and didn't like it, it just felt too.. slow to me, both the combat and the moving around the map. I didn't see any options either to like speed it up or anything least up to where I was. I'd rate it a 6/10 myself due to how the game feels like your moving thru a swamp.
    Have you ever played any of the Baldurs Gate and/or Icewind Dale games?  Just curious.
    shalissar
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    This ones a dead ringer, grade A game, not very common do we get this anymore, very impressed and encouraged. I had really started to believe that gaming had jumped the shark, Divinity Original Sin 2 just proved me wrong.
    SBFordMrMelGibsonDrengarth86Phixion13maskedweasel
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Iselin said:
    The easiest way to cheese DOS and DOS2 is actually barrelmancy.
    MrMelGibsonOctagon7711XophIselinAvarixLiljna[Deleted User]
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    they have a deal for 89 I am interested in, comes with everything they made, I have never played anything from them, worth it?
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited September 2017
    How do you folks deal with the dreadful turn based combat?

I tried and tried to like the first game. But the combat is just so horrible, that I just couldn't play it.

Is the combat in this game as god-awful as the first game?
    GorweAlomarPhixion13Thunder073Temp0
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Pesky said:

I tried and tried to like the first game. But the combat is just so horrible, that I just couldn't play it.

You have to treat this type of game like Chess. It is actually a preference for people whom were fan of Baldur's Gate and such. 
    Avarix[Deleted User]Phixion13MrMelGibsonpantaromaskedweaselTemp0
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176

Pesky said:

It's obviously not for everyone, the turn based combat is a staple of the genre. You're basically asking to buy a car without wheels with a comment like that.
    ConstantineMerusSBFordAvarixMrMelGibsonpantaroTemp0
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i could not get into the original game i thought if it had co-op it would be fun but the pin public could not play, i think the turn-based combat is boring.
    Alomar