Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Derek Smart is right about Star Citizen - His facts and why SC is likely to fail

Comments

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited September 2017
    Talonsin said:
    ....snip....

Chris Roberts is really just like Derek, ....snip....

If both of them were hanging from a building and I had to pick one to save I honestly dont know which one I would lend a hand to.  They would probably both die as I mulled the decision over in my head.

Really though IMHO CR is much much better than DS, one is just a bitter and hateful has been, that has done NOTHING even remotely decent for gaming, while the other is a has been, that has actually done some decent stuff in gaming, that still believes he can make a difference.

Now are they both full of poops at times sure but then so are most devs and most others in the gaming business as that's just part of the gig IMO.

Post edited by Asm0deus on
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Garick said:
    Vrika said:
    Garick said:
    Didn't these /loans/ Turn out to be simply SC taking out money to use now based on their business credit from how EU handles big buisness over there?   Its not really a loan more than it is just taking advantage of a sure thing by using money now that the government is for certain going to pay back for you at a clear precise time.
    Taking a loan against your future income is really a loan.

CIG's official explanation is that it was just a smart money management move, but we could have a 10 page debate as to whether CIG gave their real reason in that statement, or just carefully obfuscated the situation.

Is it a loan? Or a free asset? I mean if I told you that 100% you would get 50,000 dollars in 3 months and you took a loan out now with the agreement that in 3 months it would be fully paid back with no use of your own money what so ever. Wouldn't that just be sensible? Rather than waiting 3 months to obtain money to enhance company growth you would just make use of it now to help speed up the process because you have promises to keep and ideals to achieve.
    Are you that hard up for cash after raising over 150million dollars that you can't wait a few more months for your free money that's coming anyway or do you need to take out a loan that comes with strings?
    Gdemami
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    Are you that hard up for cash after raising over 150million dollars that you can't wait a few more months for your free money that's coming anyway or do you need to take out a loan that comes with strings?
    If you needed to be converting your dollars to pay your immediate costs in pounds, sure. Considering the financial gambles often done with this now due to the volatile GBP.

And the rather obvious thing, companies would just not leave their money lying around in a bank account, that's known as losing money, the best practice is put it to use but that means you can only use part of it at any given time.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    Gdemami
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Feel free to try out the game again when it launches OP.  No worries.  

As to being hard up for cash I remember when ESO did something different, that being their first MMO and all.  They went with a company that took out a dollar to test the account even thought the money wasn't supposed to be needed until a later date for the packages they ordered.  Anyways, there were a lot of posts from people who said that unexpected one dollar withdrawal caused their account to be overdrawn and a lot of checks to bounce.  I was surprised at that but it seems some people play their budgets that tight.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Plot Twist: DS is CR. CR runs off with the money, while hiring goons to say CIG is gonna wipe any day now.

Blockbuster Summer Drama Movie.. 

[Deleted User]TalonsinXarkoMrMelGibsonWBadger
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Garick said:
    Vrika said:
    Garick said:
    Didn't these /loans/ Turn out to be simply SC taking out money to use now based on their business credit from how EU handles big buisness over there?   Its not really a loan more than it is just taking advantage of a sure thing by using money now that the government is for certain going to pay back for you at a clear precise time.

CIG's official explanation is that it was just a smart money management move, but we could have a 10 page debate as to whether CIG gave their real reason in that statement, or just carefully obfuscated the situation.

Is it a loan? Or a free asset? I mean if I told you that 100% you would get 50,000 dollars in 3 months and you took a loan out now with the agreement that in 3 months it would be fully paid back with no use of your own money what so ever. Wouldn't that just be sensible? Rather than waiting 3 months to obtain money to enhance company growth you would just make use of it now to help speed up the process because you have promises to keep and ideals to achieve.
    That is not quite how it works mate.  Every loan has fee's and interest.  To be more realistic in your example, you know the UK Gov is going to give you 50,000 back at the end of this year so you take a loan for 50,000 now.  Just to process that loan will cost you 5000 in fees and assuming you have excellent collateral, you can get the prime interest rate of 4%.  so that 50,000 "advance" would really cost you 57,000. 

Now we can all make excuses and make up numbers but the FACT remains that loans cost money in fees and interest.

Now why would a company that is cash heavy agree to pay more now in order to get an advance?

Octagon7711Excession
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited September 2017
    Citizentologists vs Alt-Flight

You're all lunatics. Come back to the middle and just be a gamer.
    For the love of all that is good in gaming stop invoking Derek Smarts name. Please.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deusRexKushmanbartoni33rpmcmurphyOctagon7711CazrielMaxBacongir243MrMelGibsonand 2 others.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Talk about butthurt....
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    If you needed to be converting your dollars to pay your immediate costs in pounds, sure. Considering the financial gambles often done with this now due to the volatile GBP.

And the rather obvious thing, companies would just not leave their money lying around in a bank account, that's known as losing money, the best practice is put it to use but that means you can only use part of it at any given time.
    No, companies wouldn't leave the money sitting in the bank but we aren't talking about money sitting in the bank are we?

We are talking about CIG signing over all SQ42 assets to a bank to get an immediate loan which will come with its own fees and interest. Granted CIG gets back all assets once they pay back the loan but from the sounds of it the deal wasn't in CIG's favour
    MaxBaconExcessionGdemami
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    On the bright side, Star Citizen isn’t in a position to take an entire state’s economy down with it. Roberts still has a lot of monumental failing to do before he reaches Curt Schilling’s level.
    bartoni33
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322

On top of that, taking out loans is NOT a good sign after making so much money from crowdfunding. What happened to all that crowd funded money that required to take out a loan?

Taking out loans is called leveraging. Its a great way to get high returns for your investors. Its also a valid way to fund a project that you dont want to lose control over by giving up equity.
    Kefo said:
    Garick said:
    Vrika said:
    Garick said:

you do realize that money now is greater than money in the future? Depending on your current tax situation, money now could be WAY better than money later.

Kefo said:
    Garick said:
    Vrika said:
    Garick said:

you do realize that money now is greater than money in the future? Depending on your current tax situation, money now could be WAY better than money later.

Do explain
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Bet OP stood in front of the mirror and spoke DSs name out loud three times. Now he won't leave the poor sod alone anymore forcing him to turn on SC.

But really, you just traded one shady guy for another. At least CR once made a difference in gaming and is trying to do so again. I would say by any means necessary but others' mileage on that might vary.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

On top of that, taking out loans is NOT a good sign after making so much money from crowdfunding. What happened to all that crowd funded money that required to take out a loan?

Taking out loans is called leveraging. Its a great way to get high returns for your investors. Its also a valid way to fund a project that you dont want to lose control over by giving up equity.

But there are no investors to get high returns for. Why would they be concerned about losing control over the project when they have taken $160 million up front and are apparently very affluent.

KefoMaxBaconExcessionGdemami
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    I can only thank Derek posting that when he did. Because it prompted me to ask for refund on my pledge.

And now years after, it is clear he was right. If any game in history had rampant "Feature creep" it is Duke Nukem Forever and this one...heh

I would be really surprised to see this ever released in any form that resembles good game.

But of course it will be released as early access on steam , since you can release even two lines of code today and call it that. Just to continue getting money.

And than it will sit like that for years. Until they stop getting pledges.
    Thomas2006Asm0deusGdemamiRobsolf

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Ohh ... doom .. gloom ...

90 days ....

tops...

Have fun
    ExcessionTalonsinAsm0deus
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    Garick said:
    Vrika said:
    Garick said:

Do explain
    Using the formula to determine the present value: 

Present Value Formula

The answer tells us that receiving $1,000 in 20 years is the equivalent of receiving $148.64 today, if the time value of money is 10% per year compounded annually.

Even using the shitty ass prime interest rate compounded tells you the same , just not as disparate result.
    Gdemami
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I have my doubts about Star Citizen and the condition and features it will release if it does release but Derek Smart is a jealous man who hates Chris Roberts. His motivations are pure envy and jealousy so I cannot give him much credence but that does not mean I trust Chris Roberts not to mismanage or fail either.
    bartoni33MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Seeing another players facial expressions, using the toilet, buying a pricey ship who's main function is to look good in open world PvP, and showing a live demo in which a rover can't board a ship without blowing up.  Not the best series of events, imo.  They better do a lot better at the next convention for the sake of the game.
    kikoodutroa8

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Seeing another players facial expressions, using the toilet, buying a pricey ship who's main function is to look good in open world PvP, and showing a live demo in which a rover can't board a ship without blowing up.  Not the best series of events, imo.  They better do a lot better at the next convention for the sake of the game.
    They showed many groundbreaking tech at gamecon, you probably don't understand game devlopement.
    This gameplay video should make you see the light:

ExcessionGdemami
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2017
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    Garick said:
    Vrika said:
    Garick said:

Do explain
    Using the formula to determine the present value: 

Present Value Formula

The answer tells us that receiving $1,000 in 20 years is the equivalent of receiving $148.64 today, if the time value of money is 10% per year compounded annually.

Even using the shitty ass prime interest rate compounded tells you the same , just not as disparate result.

This loan is like a 6 month advance or something tiny, it's equivalent to a payday loan when it comes to business.

The issue here is that the games were meant to be fully funded at around $65 million, at around $130 million they started talking about how important it was for the community to keep supporting them (aka funding them), at $145 million they talked about SQ42 financing SC if funding were to stop and all the while they continue to sell ridiculously priced concept art which only gets more expensive as they get closer to being usable.

When you get conflicting messages people are bound to wonder what is going on.
    ScotchUp
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Looks to me funding just might start to dry up and who will be left holding the bag, my guess is if things go south CIG and the Roberts will not be the ones?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Yawn.  DS, again?  This loan, again?  The well must be dry if we are rehashing this tripe. 
    MaxBaconErillion[Deleted User]
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I think Scav's having some fun with ya'll SC diehards. ;)
    rpmcmurphyExcession

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/