Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - What Class to Play? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Loke666 said:
    azarhal said:
    Don't bother with core Tyria map HP if you want to unlock the elite spec ASAP, the HoT maps HP award 10 points each instead of one. Makes maxing the elite spec way easier. Downside, outside the easy HoT HP, all the rest require a few players (looks at HP trains in looking for groups most require just basic glider and basic mushroom).
    Most of them can be soloed but it is friggin hard. I did a bunch of them with my thief when I was bored and wanted to see if it is possible. The ones spawning elite mobs around them every 5 minutes is beyond me though (it usually takes me about 8 minutes to get the boss down) and a single hit is often fatal

Teaming up with 2 other players (or more) is usually the best way to do them unless there is a larger HP run.

But with both HoT and PoF and only wanting to max out one elite specc it should be easy to cherry pick the HPs.

And just because I can solo many of them with my thief does not mean I can do it with the other classes, I play way better with a thief and the mix of being great at moving/dodging and high DPS makes it a good choice. I have considered trying with my necro as well but then I got other things to do in game (working to get that Predator legendary weapon for my Dead eye).
    We shall see- the crux of my tactics as a Condi Tempest is simply piling on the conditions and avoiding damage while they destroy everything they touch and I simply renew the stacks as available.

I've found that in this build, more than any other, my reaction time in utilizing the appropriate skills at the appropriate time and using my dash and dodge to avoid damage determines the outcome of the fight.  Rarely have I found (even taking on mobs +6 or +7 levels while I was leveling) that I simply cannot create an opportunity for myself to win the fight.

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    PoF will help me in a wait for Destiny2. That's what i hope for
    Eiley
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

calibek said:

Got a question, I have not played GW2 in years, and do not have heart of thorns but was thinking about getting it. Are these new elite specs a neccessity to be competitive? Quite honestly I don't care for the elite of the necromancer and want to play as the base necro class. Will I be humping myself?

Why would the company shoot them selves in the foot? Being elite does not mean they are better than the regular character...They will lose business if elite was uber compare to your regular character..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Ele/ranger!

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited September 2017

Rhoklaw said:

Popple said:

calibek said:

Got a question, I have not played GW2 in years, and do not have heart of thorns but was thinking about getting it. Are these new elite specs a neccessity to be competitive? Quite honestly I don't care for the elite of the necromancer and want to play as the base necro class. Will I be humping myself?

Why would the company shoot them selves in the foot? Being elite does not mean they are better than the regular character...They will lose business if elite was uber compare to your regular character..

Correct, GW2 is one of the only MMO's to offer a multitude of classes that are all relevant because everyone can do everything. With no true trinity and everyone focused on doing DPS, there's no need for team cooperation. GW2 is the epitome of zergfest.

On a side note, the only way you can hurt yourself would be to be the only person not wearing the still meta set of Berserker gear.

You clearly haven't played the game since mid-2015.

Berserker gear haven't been meta for everyone since HoT released and raids require healers, tank, supports, etc. The only place where you are suggested to focus on power is during leveling up, but afterward, nope.
    Loke666Nepheth
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Rhoklaw said:
    azarhal said:

Rhoklaw said:

Popple said:

calibek said:

Correct, GW2 is one of the only MMO's to offer a multitude of classes that are all relevant because everyone can do everything. With no true trinity and everyone focused on doing DPS, there's no need for team cooperation. GW2 is the epitome of zergfest.

On a side note, the only way you can hurt yourself would be to be the only person not wearing the still meta set of Berserker gear.

Berserker gear haven't been meta for everyone since HoT released and raids require healers, tank, supports, etc. The only place where you are suggested to focus on power is during leveling up, but afterward, nope.
    So you're telling me GW2 has implemented the trinity system? and everyone that I know that still plays the game says Berserker set is still meta? Interesting.
    Berserker's gear is meta for power builds. Viper's gear is meta for condi builds.

For raids, the tank will wear a more toughness heavy set and healers favor Zealot's, with the rest of the team using Berserker's or Viper's depending on role. 

So, gear diversity is better. It isn't good, but it's better.
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Rhoklaw said:
    azarhal said:

Rhoklaw said:

Popple said:

calibek said:

So you're telling me GW2 has implemented the trinity system? and everyone that I know that still plays the game says Berserker set is still meta? Interesting.

GW2 official statement on HoT raid system...

According to Johanson, ArenaNet's plan is to remove the traditional barriers that can stop MMO players from enjoying raids. "Our combat system allows everybody to play our core roles of support, control, and DPS," he says. "You can play the profession that you love to play, you can get ten players together and you can play the raid. You don’t have to wait around half an hour for a healer to get online." There won't be an attunement system, either. As Johanson puts it, players should be able to simply "form up, play the raid, and have a great time."

I see support, control and DPS. No where do I see any mention of a true tank, a true healer. Perhaps it's just wording and by support, they mean healer, but when looking at the skill sets of all the classes, I really don't see any that could be classified as a healer. Oh wait, he actually states that the great thing about GW2's HoT raid system is you won't have to wait around for a healer! Well than, I guess I'll stick with my original outlook.
    Here's a quite popular Druid healer/support raid build for you:
    https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Druid_-_Support/Healer_Staff

And one for the Chronomancer tank/support role:
    https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Tank/Support_Sword/x

GW2 doesn't have the classic trinity system but the raid team composition has to be built and balanced with the soft trinity roles in mind. No wonder many of the raid meta dps builds are built around a support role that the whole team can benefit from.
    Nepheth
  • v_Vev_Ve Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Gonna stick to my current main: DPS Power Druid!

Witty & Wicked >:)

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    My favorite class is the mesmer. I got frustrated in HOT because if I wanted to play and survive in HOT, I had to play a chronomancer basically. I wanted to play a mesmer my way, the way I played through the original story and season 2. HOT ruined my experience with the mesmer. I took my necromancer through HOT which was a painful experience since I didnt really like much about HOT. I want to be able to play my mesmer like I want, I don't want to be forced to play as a elite spec if I don't like the play style or if it forces me to go away from what I like about the mesmer.

I also liked the Necro and Ranger and would be ok playing as those as well. While some other classes are tolerable to play, these are the only three which will keep me wanting to play.
    Eiley
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2017
    I haven't found any of the HoT Elite skills worth giving up.  Yes, I could get by without them but they do make things somewhat better.  It will probably be the same with the upcoming expansion. Druid, Reaper, and Scrapper seemed to do the best in the upcoming content.  But I don't mini-max so...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Rhoklaw said:

According to Johanson, ArenaNet's plan is to remove the traditional barriers that can stop MMO players from enjoying raids. "Our combat system allows everybody to play our core roles of support, control, and DPS," he says. "You can play the profession that you love to play, you can get ten players together and you can play the raid. You don’t have to wait around half an hour for a healer to get online." There won't be an attunement system, either. As Johanson puts it, players should be able to simply "form up, play the raid, and have a great time."

I see support, control and DPS. No where do I see any mention of a true tank, a true healer. Perhaps it's just wording and by support, they mean healer, but when looking at the skill sets of all the classes, I really don't see any that could be classified as a healer. Oh wait, he actually states that the great thing about GW2's HoT raid system is you won't have to wait around for a healer! Well than, I guess I'll stick with my original outlook.
    I havn't seen anyone playing a zerker in a long time but it is certainly likely a few are still around. It is not a common build for warriors anymore. It just isn't that good anymore.

As for "true" tanks they are not in the game, just like GW there is no taunts meaning you have to tank the old hard way (body blocking & being close, personal and do a lot of damage).

But as for healers, druids are rather excelent healers, we do still count them as support though since they do more then just spam builds.

But if you use zerg combat you wont get far in a fractal and nowhere in a raid. There is a group dynamic in the game even if it isn't as obvious as in Wow, people need to work together or you fail.

The open world is generally very easy and rather zergy if you do the more popular zones so people just doing that and the generally rather nerf dungeons tend to ignore it though. That is why so many people complain that HoT is too hard, the open world in the base game is nowadays so easy that you don't even have to learn to play your class adequate and as soon as the difficulty goes up a bit they die a lot.

Can you complete a raid without a healer? Certainly but the rather high difficulty goes up even more that way so most people that raid use one.
    Octagon7711
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    calibek said:
    For every piece of content besides raids, the specs are somewhat irrelevant. The content is challenging at times (especially in Heart of Thorns), but reasonable enough to leave you the freedom of picking your own build. The large majority of classes, including the base necromancer, will have a variety of viable builds that let you complete any open world content, dungeons or fractals.

Raids are an exception, where they are punishing enough that playing the optimal way matters. This usually means running a very specific spec, based on what is in the "meta". Many of these specs require elite specs at their core.

I have played an off-meta elementalist for 2 years straight. It wasn't the optimal build, but it was one I enjoyed and learned to execute perfectly over time. I completed all of the dungeons, was above average at fractals and even did decently in PvP.

I would say access to the expansion areas and new gameplay outweighs the spec. The elite specs are fun and interesting, but the areas you can explore are much more appealing to me. I loved the first expansion and I'll be buying the new expansion because of the new zones, not that much because of the spec.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Rhoklaw said:
    azarhal said:

Rhoklaw said:

Popple said:

calibek said:

Ahh it was very painful to read this post... Next time don't try to look like that you know something about a game which you probably played years ago.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Nepheth said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    azarhal said:

Rhoklaw said:

Popple said:

calibek said:

Ahh it was very painful to read this post... Next time don't try to look like that you know something about a game which you probably played years ago.
    There is no trinity in GW2. That was GW1, not GW2. You obviously have not played GW2.

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited September 2017
    botrytis said:
    Nepheth said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    azarhal said:

Rhoklaw said:

Popple said:

calibek said:

There is no trinity in GW2. That was GW1, not GW2. You obviously have not played GW2.
    Umm wat?

Ahh I probably shouldn't take this post seriously but what the hell... I know there is no "real" trinity in Gw2. But this doesn't change the fact that he has no clue what he's talking about if he thinks a game which is 5 years old will stay the same even after all these years. The last time Gw2 had zerker meta with stack and smash the keyboard playstyle was around 2014.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Elidien said:
    Sorry to jump in here but I am relatively new to GW2 (taking an extended break from other games). And I have a question regarding Path of Fire.

I have HoT but my highest level is in the 20s. I am a slow level'er because I am learning the game and also I like to take my time. I do not anticipate being anywhere near the level cap for a while.

With that said, does PoF offer anything to low levels? Is there any reason to get it until I get much higher level?

From the best I can tell, it is all end-game, max level stuff but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
    The three main components (Elite Specs, mounts, and new zones) are all end-game content.

If there is anything for lower levels at all, it will be a minor part of the expansion.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711

Aeander said:

Rhoklaw said:

azarhal said:

Rhoklaw said:

Popple said:

calibek said:

Berserker gear haven't been meta for everyone since HoT released and raids require healers, tank, supports, etc.

The only place where you are suggested to focus on power is during leveling up, but afterward, nope.

Berserker's gear is meta for power builds. Viper's gear is meta for condi builds.

For raids, the tank will wear a more toughness heavy set and healers favor Zealot's, with the rest of the team using Berserker's or Viper's depending on role. 

So, gear diversity is better. It isn't good, but it's better.

Not Viper's Trailblazer's sorry.

laxie said:

Elidien said:

Sorry to jump in here but I am relatively new to GW2 (taking an extended break from other games). And I have a question regarding Path of Fire.

I have HoT but my highest level is in the 20s. I am a slow level'er because I am learning the game and also I like to take my time. I do not anticipate being anywhere near the level cap for a while.

With that said, does PoF offer anything to low levels? Is there any reason to get it until I get much higher level?

From the best I can tell, it is all end-game, max level stuff but I wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

The three main components (Elite Specs, mounts, and new zones) are all end-game content.

If there is anything for lower levels at all, it will be a minor part of the expansion.

There is nothing new for lower levels outside the fact that you can buy this expansion w/o having HoT. That is it.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    botrytis said:

laxie said:

Elidien said:

Thanks!

There is nothing new for lower levels outside the fact that you can buy this expansion w/o having HoT. That is it.
    Well, it gives you a level 80 boost you can use immediately, but I wouldn't recommend immediately using that as you'll be well lost and missing a lot of HPs you get while moving through leveling zones.
    Octagon7711

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Elidien said:

Thanks!
    If you are not into PvP then your PoF purchase can wait I guess. Since you need no character levels nor gear in PvP all you might need is the elite specializations tied to specific expansions. If you own the expansion the elite specializations get unlocked for PvP right away regardless of the PvE progress made on the character.

For PvE both expansions are end-game content apart from some masteries you can enjoy account wide once you unlock them. With HoT you can use the Gliding Mastery and PoF offers mounts for even low level alts account wide. Of course you need to have at least one character at end-game to get these masteries unlocked first and that's why both expansions come with instant level 80 boosts.
    [Deleted User]
    botrytis said:

laxie said:

Elidien said:

Thanks!

Well, it gives you a level 80 boost you can use immediately, but I wouldn't recommend immediately using that as you'll be well lost and missing a lot of HPs you get while moving through leveling zones.
    That's one thing I miss.  In WoW a boost gives you all the waypoints and riding skills you may have missed.  Rift doesn't do it either.
    MadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited September 2017
    With the new expansion I would think the new mounts would give you access to areas in the original zones and possibly in HoT that you didn't have before.  The glider from HoT does come in handy sometimes in the original content also.

• RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Eventually I'll unlock them all like the HoT ones,but I'll start with my Guardian.
  • iicecubeiicecube Member UncommonPosts: 53
    edited September 2017
    I wont roll any class for a old game unless the expansion work complete different playerbase than the core game.

Playing with every max players, new player will always gain nothing and after awhile new player are just lust lack player that hover around the old server base. 
    Restart to a new environment server for new player only.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Dragnelus said:
    Ele/ranger!
    Hmm after watching this:

Prob Mirageee!