Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Star Citizen deserve its hate?

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Aww, poor SC, I guess it needed to be defended just a bit more. Never mind the 2050 release date, never mind the feature bloat, never mind the ludicrous amounts of money asked for PICTURES of ships, never mind the almost religious fanaticism of some of its followers or its focus on the cash shop. Nooooo, lets blame Derek Smart and some conspiracies.

SC gets a lot of flak, and you know what, although most is nonsense some of it is well deserved. Lets not defend that which needs no defending.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Tyseriemaybebaked
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited September 2017

If you are so happy about the game, its content and the direction it's headed why worry yourself with what other people say?
    The same can be said for people who hate the game so much and hate the developers. Why not move on and not worry about it and do things that are more productive....enjoy life, have fun with games and not worry about things that you may or may not hate/dislike.

I don't like chocolate icecream, but I'm not going to post all day about how much I hate it.

Chocolate ice cream hasn't asked for millions of dollars and made promises for 5 years.  It just sits there.  Alot like SC but way cheaper.

Also, I say people that don't like anything don't post about it so we don't have to hear it.  And I think people that do like things shouldn't post about it so we don't have to hear about it.  Ya...just shut down the forum.

You do realize the entire internet is people posting about things they like or dislike, right?  Maybe rethink your post.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    lahnmir said:
    Aww, poor SC, I guess it needed to be defended just a bit more. Never mind the 2050 release date, never mind the feature bloat, never mind the ludicrous amounts of money asked for PICTURES of ships, never mind the almost religious fanaticism of some of its followers or its focus on the cash shop. Nooooo, lets blame Derek Smart and some conspiracies.

SC gets a lot of flak, and you know what, although most is nonsense some of it is well deserved. Lets not defend that which needs no defending.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Hey .... i am PvPing in my "picture" ... at 64fps ... amongst asteroids .....

Have fun
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Looks like there's more than one company who wants you making faces into a camera.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Erillion said:
    Talonsin said:
     If you love the game and are having so much fun playing it then why sit here responding to post after post defending the game? 
    Because there are worse things that one can do while using the public transport system  ... unless you have lightweight tablet able to run Star Citizen on the move ;-)

You are taking that out of context, that question is a direct response to the OP asking why people who hate the game are not out doing something else.  I just turned his question around and asked him to answer it.

But... cute answer.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Erillion said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Have fun
    Good for you (no sarcasm intended btw, I think its awesome they get more and more stuff in the game). But lets be honest, ship debt is/was a thing and raised many a question and criticism. I am not bashing SC but I do think they did several things 'wrong,' this being one of them.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    So Star Citizen has the most anti- Star Citizen agenda of any pre-released MMO...

I can't argue with that logic.
    Slapshot1188Forgrimmkikoodutroa8VrikaKefo

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    OP:  This MMO has the most anti-SC agenda of any pre-released MMO

100% correct and indisputable!

No other MMO has more anti-Star Citizen stuff than Star Citizen!!
    PhaserlightKefoFrodoFragins

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    The defenders...we see the usual names...are the ones who always blame everyone else for SC not living up to their own words.

Never seen a group go to such extents to make anyone who even asks a question look bad.

Its the SC apologists who always get personal and attack people.

Interesting that its always the SC people bringing up DS after their arguments fail. Didn't know who he was till you all kept trash talking him and made him the main reason for SC failing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    SC is an easy target and been in the spot light for many years and there is a lot of fan money on the line.

CU goes belly up and maybe $3M of fan money is lost.

But this one's failure would be a spectacular trainwreck and yes, people on the internet love gawking at such things.

g0m0rrah

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    It's a public service to hate on this company and its methods.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Erillion said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Have fun
    Link to your kill board please?

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Jealousy.  Jealous of a guy that raised a bunch of money, jealous of people that have more money than them to donate.  All the negative posts and hate, all of it fueled by jealously in one form or the other.  Its what people do, its in our DNA.
    kikoodutroa8
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I've mentioned it many times before: stop assuming the default stance of victim, and you'll find that a lot of the "hate" is either straight skepticism or obvious trolling in an attempt to get you to cry.

Stop crying.
    rpmcmurphySlapshot1188

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    goboygo said:
    Jealousy.  Jealous of a guy that raised a bunch of money, jealous of people that have more money than them to donate.  All the negative posts and hate, all of it fueled by jealously in one form or the other.  Its what people do, its in our DNA.
    You're about a year and a half late. That was the excuse then and was proven wrong time and time again so can you come up with something new please?
    goboygo
    Kyleran said:
    Link to your kill board please?

;)
    Sorry.

I learned my lesson in other games not to give out in-game names on discussion forums  ;-)

Have fun
    gir243
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    You announce to the world you're going to make this game... years later it still hasn't been released.  But in the meantime, you've changed the scope of said game a thousand times over... hence the reason why it hasn't been released.

People weren't waiting every hour of every day for WoW to be released initially... in fact, they had no idea it was even in production (speaking figuratively here).  Then bam, it hits the shelves and everyone gives it a go and they like it, like it a lot.  Amazing how NOT knowing everything there is to know about a game before it shows up on your radar can breed success.

Star Citizen will never live up to it's hype because the player base has had too many years to build the pedestal that it sits on.  The game would have been a 1000 times better had it not been a never ending news conference for the last umpteen years.

I honestly don't care if the game ever gets released.  It's already an old game and I can't even play it... imagine how ancient it will be when I eventually can?  And when I say old, I mean, I know far too much about the game for there to be anything wondrous about it.  There's no reason to play the game as far as I am concerned.

FrodoFragins
    edited September 2017
    >>> People weren't waiting every hour of every day for WoW to be released initially... in fact, they had no idea it was even in production (speaking figuratively here).  Then bam, it hits the shelves and everyone gives it a go and they like it, like it a lot. >>>

You so obviously have NOT been there during the early 2004 playtesting of WoW Beta ...

People WERE waiting every hour of every day for WoW to release ....

Have fun

PS:
    Here is a timeline (re: "no idea it was even in production") ;-)
    http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_(World_of_Warcraft)

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/467918/the-mmo-definition-has-evolved-and-the-old-definition-no-longer-applies/p1

The first response in that thread that 20 people agree with is how I view almost every thread this guy makes.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381
    edited September 2017
    It's been 5 years and there are legit concerns regarding whether they'll ever get the engine to do what they promised.  There are also legit fears about whether they'll have enough money to complete it if they iron those issues out. 

At this point, every month that goes by without it being delivered makes it look worse.

SC is likely hurting other crowd funding projects based on how poorly its been managed and how sleezy CR is.

Why make it?  This is human nature when spending other peoples money.  If there exists a large group of people who are more than willing to throw what appears to be a never ending barrage of cash at you to develop a game with few, if any, questions asked why would anyone in their right mind make completing the game a priority?
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    It's been 5 years and there are legit concerns regarding whether they'll ever get the engine to do what they promised.  There are also legit fears about whether they'll have enough money to complete it if they iron those issues out. 

At this point, every month that goes by without it being delivered makes it look worse.

SC is likely hurting other crowd funding projects based on how poorly its been managed and how sleezy CR is.

Why make it?  This is human nature when spending other peoples money.  If there exists a large group of people who are more than willing to throw what appears to be a never ending barrage of cash at you to develop a game with few, if any, questions asked why would anyone in their right mind make completing the game a priority?
    The better question would be give  CR's past history with running his own game studio

why the hell would anyone want to throw money at him at this point in the game when you can easily see he's repeating the same mistakes?
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    btdt said:

People weren't waiting every hour of every day for WoW to be released initially... in fact, they had no idea it was even in production (speaking figuratively here).  Then bam, it hits the shelves and everyone gives it a go and they like it, like it a lot.  Amazing how NOT knowing everything there is to know about a game before it shows up on your radar can breed success.

We did. We even waited a few years for Warcraft Adventures for a few years then it got cancelled. The disappointment was real and harsh. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    >>> Why the hell would anyone want to throw money at him at this point in the game when you can easily see he's repeating the same mistakes? >>>

Because they may trust him more than you ?

Have fun
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Am backer, I would say, from very beginning and I would not even know, that this "game" (common, there is no game, just demo) still exist, without threads like this on MMORPG.com :):):)
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

While I do believe CIG is trying to bring the game to release, this reasoning is why the scope of the game changed so much.  There's no large incentive to release a base game ala Elite: Dangerous if the fanbase will continue giving you money to add development time onto the original project.

This discussion has been closed.