Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Star Citizen deserve its hate?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited September 2017 in Star Citizen
As title says. There is a large amount of people who will very gladly to see Star Citizen die. A lot of them come from Derek Smart.

Does Star Citizen however deserve all its hate? Signs point to a failing and badly mismanaged company, and mass feature creep (like bathrooms where you have to worry about shitting...like wtf lol. I don't play MMOs for that.)

Star Citizen is the most hated MMO pre-release that I've seen in a long time. A lot of potential, but I do see it failing though due to all the loans being taken out and refunds (even though the 45k refund was a scam, people ARE refunding the game). But why take a loan when you've gotten so much cash from crowd funding? What happened to all that millions of crowd funded money?

Am I right in being so suspicious of the game? I DO want the game to succeed, but its pretty suspicious with how its been managed and the huge amount of feature creep that keeps getting added to the game. Many features can be added post-release I feel, makes more sense to finish the game and THEN add more features

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Post edited by TheScavenger on
GdemamiLeFantomeAgent_JosephFrodoFraginsmaybebakedBeezerbeez

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    As soon as people start blaming individuals or certain 'groups' of people for things, i usually wait for the other shoe drop, it always does. :/
    forcelimaSlapshot1188bcbullymaybebaked
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    still trying to see why a refund would hurt the game? if the game is this solid and no scam on it, no news make it break, unless even the backers are not so sure.

and you still never see a game get this much hate? new to internet? and last I know is not the game who is getting the hate its the devs, since there is no game yet anyway
    FrodoFraginsRobsolf
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2017
    still trying to see why a refund would hurt the game? if the game is this solid and no scam on it, no news make it break, unless even the backers are not so sure.
    SC is a crowdfunded game, due to the funding nature being tied to their backers, this sort of stuff calls for FUD (Fear, uncertainty, and doubt) and is capable to hurt the game.

One big example of this is how the public perception was attempted to be made believe, since 2015, that SC is about to face one "imminent collapse" and that everyone will lose their money. That is meant to drive fear upon the backers and has a harmful potential against the project.
    GdemamiExcession
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited September 2017
    It's been 5 years and there are legit concerns regarding whether they'll ever get the engine to do what they promised.  There are also legit fears about whether they'll have enough money to complete it if they iron those issues out. 

At this point, every month that goes by without it being delivered makes it look worse.

SC is likely hurting other crowd funding projects based on how poorly its been managed and how sleezy CR is.
    forcelimaAgent_Josephfenring101Tyserieg0m0rrahExcessionalkarionlogEldurian
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017

and you still never see a game get this much hate? new to internet? and last I know is not the game who is getting the hate its the devs, since there is no game yet anyway
    Like MaxBeacon said, SC is crowdfunded so everything/most of it is funded by the backers.

Also, yes, this game has gotten an unusual amount of suspicion. Star Citizen is a good game in theory (as far as ideas go), and people do actually want it to succeed, but a lot of suspicion against the game due to how its managed. 
    rpmcmurphyGdemamiKyleranAgent_JosephFrodoFragins

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I can not understand all the threads over a refund.  People get refunds everyday and three guys getting a refund is certainly not news worthy but I guess it is a slow week here.

Also, about the hate, the hate this game gets is trivial compared to games made/involving Sergey Titov.  But thanks for another drama thread, just what this game needed.
    Azaron_NightbladeWraithone
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Well, when you promise the world and claim that more money will allow you to do more and do it faster but then take years upon years to just do the basics it's not surprising people look at the project and the people that defend it with a sceptical view.

The thing with Star Citizen is that it has all the right ingrediants to get trolled day in day out. It's got the company that talks a monumental amount of bullshit, it's got fans who buy into and drop stupid amounts of money on that bullshit, it's got the whole tribal thing going on which is endorsed by the CEO himself. It's easy pickings for people to troll or even just to poke fun at.

If you are so happy about the game, its content and the direction it's headed why worry yourself with what other people say?
    KyleranAgent_JosephFrodoFraginsMawneealkarionlog
    edited September 2017

If you are so happy about the game, its content and the direction it's headed why worry yourself with what other people say?
    The same can be said for people who like the game so much and love the developers. Why not let people have their opinions and not worry about it and do things that are more productive....enjoy life, have fun with games and not worry about things that you may or may not hate/dislike/like/love.

I love chocolate icecream, but I'm not going to post all day about how much I love it. Likewise if I enjoy something, I'll be playing that game, not posting how good it is. I just want to enjoy it.

Star Citizen is pretty suspicious with how its managed though

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

The same can be said for people who hate the game so much and hate the developers. Why not move on and not worry about it and do things that are more productive....enjoy life, have fun with games and not worry about things that you may or may not hate/dislike.

I don't like chocolate icecream, but I'm not going to post all day about how much I hate it.
    I bet you will after someone else's "I hate vanilla icecream" thread gets a lot of attention. ;)
    forcelima

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Why not move on and not worry about it and do things that are more productive....enjoy life, have fun with games and not worry about things that you may or may not hate/dislike.

I don't like chocolate icecream, but I'm not going to post all day about how much I hate it.
    Funny how the other side does not take that advice...  If you love the game and are having so much fun playing it then why sit here responding to post after post defending the game? 

Pot, meet kettle...
    VrikaKefoKyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The same can be said for people who hate the game so much and hate the developers. Why not move on and not worry about it and do things that are more productive....enjoy life, have fun with games and not worry about things that you may or may not hate/dislike.

But you will post all day about hating the MMO genre yet continue to play it.
    waynejr2Azaron_NightbladeForgrimmKyleran
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Grunty said:

Exactly!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

edited September 2017
    Talonsin said:

Why not move on and not worry about it and do things that are more productive....enjoy life, have fun with games and not worry about things that you may or may not hate/dislike.

Funny how the other side does not take that advice...  If you love the game and are having so much fun playing it then why sit here responding to post after post defending the game? 

Pot, meet kettle...
    This is obvious a troll. But I'll bite the bait. So, in your world...only people who can like something have any right to post?

GdemamiKyleran

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Grunty said:
    I actually do hate the current status of the MMO genre, mostly because I want a great MMO to play, yet we keep getting more of the same.
    GdemamiCalavry
    edited September 2017
    This thread proves how much suspicion there is against Star Citizen, even before its released. Far more than I've seen of any pre-released MMO.

I do hope the game comes out for its fans, but it is pretty suspicious how its managed.
    GdemamiKyleran

MaxBacon said:
    Grunty said:
    I actually do hate the current status of the MMO genre, mostly because I want a great MMO to play, yet we keep getting more of the same.
    And when MMOs come out like that, that want to shake up the MMO genre and do something amazing...they then get hated on before they are even released.

Though I think a lot of it comes from Derek Smart fans and his group of followers, since he profits a lot if star citizen fails
    GdemamiKyleranalkarionlog

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Also, there have been plenty of MMOs that got a ton of hate. SWTOR, AA, and Wildstar are a few that immediately spring to mind. You couldn't visit this site for one day without finding at least one hate thread for a while when they were still new.

Then they got old, and the haters moved on to hotter topics. SC is going to be a target for a good while, since it's a game that's actively getting media attention. If it manages to make it to a released state, a year or two later, none of them will even care about that game anymore. They'll all move onto the next title that has a lot of fans to get a rise out of.

That's not to say that some of the concerns raised are invalid. Many of the things that are frequently used against SC aren't just wild, made up accusations. The constant delays and the potential for them to run out of funding are pretty realistic risks IMO. Hopefully it'll be worries over nothing in the end, and the game will live up to expectations - but it's far from guaranteed.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    I could smell the crazy coming off this thread before even clicking into it and I was not disappointed
    TalonsinKyleranPingu2012XarkoWraithone
    edited September 2017
    Also, there have been plenty of MMOs that got a ton of hate. SWTOR, AA, and Wildstar are a few that immediately spring to mind. You couldn't visit this site for one day without finding at least one hate thread for a while when they were still new.

Then they got old, and the haters moved on to hotter topics. SC is going to be a target for a good while, since it's a game that's actively getting media attention. If it manages to make it to a released state, a year or two later, none of them will even care about that game anymore. They'll all move onto the next title that has a lot of fans to get a rise out of.

That's not to say that some of the concerns raised are invalid. Many of the things that are frequently used against SC aren't just wild, made up accusations. The constant delays and the potential for them to run out of funding are pretty realistic risks IMO. Hopefully it'll be worries over nothing in the end, and the game will live up to expectations - but it's far from guaranteed.
    yeah, its good to have concerns. Like you kinda said, they do add random shit that delays the game (literally added shit lol) that don't really have a good reason of being in the game except I guess "realism"...but I don't want to have to take a dump in real life and in the game too lol. I dunno why that was added, if it was april fools I'd have just thought it was a joke. 
    Azaron_Nightblade

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2017
    Talonsin said:

Pot, meet kettle...
    This is obvious a troll. But I'll bite the bait. So, in your world...only people who can hate something have any right to post?

It's not a troll. He's got a valid point.

You're separating people into us  and evil. An adult should know better, at least assuming you're from a democratic country.
    KefoOctagon7711

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited September 2017

Well I guess the simplest reply is that people can post whatever they like providing it doesn't break forum rules. There's no reason or rhyme to what people do and it's unfair to expect any, that just leads to disappointment.

If people want to diss the game then it's a case of ignore it or fight it, the latter always leads to more fighting which only serves to make things seem worse than they really are.
    Talonsin said:

Pot, meet kettle...
    This is obvious a troll. But I'll bite the bait. So, in your world...only people who can hate something have any right to post?

I could say the same about your post being a troll and in your own words...only people who love something have the right to post?

Though I think a lot of it comes from Derek Smart fans and his group of followers, since he profits a lot if star citizen fails
    How would Derek Smart profit from SC failing?  Do you imagine a bunch of us who backed SC to just go running to his crappy games?  He might get a kick to his already over inflated ego if SC fails but I dont see how he could possibly profit by its failure.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2017
    Talonsin said:
     If you love the game and are having so much fun playing it then why sit here responding to post after post defending the game? 
    Because there are worse things that one can do while using the public transport system  ... unless you have lightweight tablet able to run Star Citizen on the move ;-)

Have fun

There are even people posting how only those who hate the game deserve to make a post and that people who like it shouldn't bother talking about the game at all.

Can you please point out exactly where people posted "that only those who hate the game deserve to make a post"?  I have not seen that in this thread.  I have seen people post that both sides have a right to post about it and I have seen YOU post that people who dont like the game should go do something else besides posting which is, in a way saying that only people who love the game deserve to make a post.

This discussion has been closed.