Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - Review-in-Progress - Part 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2 - Review-in-Progress - Part 2 - MMORPG.com

Looking back on this second week in Destiny 2, I’ml struck with two concerns: the story is starting to feel formulaic and the content repetitive. Is the sheen starting to wear off the shiny newness?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    The thing about the formulaic story is, they basically use the story to introduce you to each planet and each race. So it kind of makes sense that it is designed that way, it goes for about 2 missions on each planet then back to Earth for the last couple. It is a bigger focus point than in the previous game, but way less of a focus than most story driven games. I don't mind it so much but I can see how it would get irritating.

The platforming focus I'm almost 100% sure is because of raiding. In every raid there is always a part that has some form of jumping puzzle or not even puzzle just a part that requires precision jumping. Before in the original Destiny, that was a MAJOR problem for people who have never dealt with that sort of thing. We could be stuck there for 20 minutes if I had a group of people who didn't know where to jump or which platforms to get between when. I'm pretty sure this is the easy way to teach people about that sort of thing and help ease them into the jump parts of raids.
    [Deleted User]Gazimoff
  • GreyhavenGreyhaven Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I think The Division did a much better job of balancing story content and Raid Content, it's pretty obvious that D2 is everything is quick filler to get you to the raid, its the WoW formula and I don't think that will be enough for anyone but the hard core Destiny fan. I'm not saying I'm regretting my purchase I was just hoping for more.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    edited September 2017
    Just watched the trailer on their website. I gotta say, when he yelled "do it for the puppies" That made me wanna play :)

Question (with no underlying controversy intended) Can you play Destiny 2 in 3rd person? or is it a strictly FPS?

Thanks in advance!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    edited September 2017

Quicksand said:

Just watched the trailer on their website. I gotta say, when he yelled "do it for the puppies" That made me wanna play :)

Question (with no underlying controversy intended) Can you play Destiny 2 in 3rd person? or is it a strictly FPS?

Thanks in advance!

99% fps but switching to a sword makes the camera move behind and switch the perspective into third person. It also happens when you carry some quest/strike specific objects like spheres that have to be put in a lock mechanism.
    Quicksand
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i am just going to buy Destiny 2 on pc to keep me busy not expecting anything great.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Torval said:
    The thing about the formulaic story is, they basically use the story to introduce you to each planet and each race. So it kind of makes sense that it is designed that way, it goes for about 2 missions on each planet then back to Earth for the last couple. It is a bigger focus point than in the previous game, but way less of a focus than most story driven games. I don't mind it so much but I can see how it would get irritating.

The platforming focus I'm almost 100% sure is because of raiding. In every raid there is always a part that has some form of jumping puzzle or not even puzzle just a part that requires precision jumping. Before in the original Destiny, that was a MAJOR problem for people who have never dealt with that sort of thing. We could be stuck there for 20 minutes if I had a group of people who didn't know where to jump or which platforms to get between when. I'm pretty sure this is the easy way to teach people about that sort of thing and help ease them into the jump parts of raids.

Personally speaking, disco dancing raid mechanics are the worst. They are a scourge on MMOs as most raiding in general is. To me they always feel overly gamified, like arcade style gimmicks, that shred the suspension of disbelief in an RPG or narrative drive game, which this sort of is.
    Yeah I think they made the platforming work in a way that kind of makes sense at least in the original game. I liked the fact that I had to jump from giant metal scrap to giant metal scrap in space from a ship that was breaking apart, and choose based on the trajectory of the scrap which one to jump to next to get to the other side.

I think it makes sense what you said though, it really does break immersion a lot of the time or take away from what they were trying to do prior to the disco jumps.  

Although I haven't seen the new raid, so I don't really know personally what does and does not happen in Destiny 2 in that department yet, I'm going solely off of the original games raids, since I have done them all way too many times.
    [Deleted User]
  • MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I wish the campaign was longer. I blew through it fairly quick given the time I have to play.
    However, it doesn't surprise me that it's short.
    A game like this is more geared to PvP and raiding as opposed to story
    edited September 2017
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

Personally speaking, disco dancing raid mechanics are the worst. They are a scourge on MMOs as most raiding in general is. To me they always feel overly gamified, like arcade style gimmicks, that shred the suspension of disbelief in an RPG or narrative drive game, which this sort of is.
    Yeah I think they made the platforming work in a way that kind of makes sense at least in the original game. I liked the fact that I had to jump from giant metal scrap to giant metal scrap in space from a ship that was breaking apart, and choose based on the trajectory of the scrap which one to jump to next to get to the other side.

I think it makes sense what you said though, it really does break immersion a lot of the time or take away from what they were trying to do prior to the disco jumps.  

Although I haven't seen the new raid, so I don't really know personally what does and does not happen in Destiny 2 in that department yet, I'm going solely off of the original games raids, since I have done them all way too many times.

I liked some of the platforming in the strike during beta. I think it added a lot of dimension and feel to the map. It made sense. I didn't mind the minor jump mechanic during the boss fight where he changed weapon types and the floor became "lava". That was cool.

When I think of this "gone wrong" I think of Rift. It has some cool raids, but there is a lot of Simon Says in each one: turn away when boss says 'x', stay in the red circle, don't stay in the red circle, keep out of the water, hop when the pulse goes by, etc. It felt ridiculous and the "challenge" of hearding 20 cats into playing simon says with lag and inexperience is an exercise in tedium and frustration.

I probably won't raid much if at all. I like small team tactics. It's a lot more interesting having to use those than jump mechanics.

then find yourself a better game. Destiny and Destiny 2 is PVE focused with PVP as an extra. This is online game that requires FIRETEAMS to do the end-game content and really.... Small team tactics?.... Dude Raids in this game are 6-men. Do you want 2-men raids? Raids is the essence of this game. Show me ONE FPS game with pve raids with tactics. RAIDING IN DESTINY IS EXACTLY "SMALL TEAM TACTICS". Anyways you never played Destiny before?

[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    These are always far too vague with no actual substance in the review.
    I'll point to a couple examples...EVENTS,well what about them,tell us something,give us some in depth chatter.Ok so they give loads of xp,i don't game to get free or loads of XP,i game because it offers me some thinking,some challenge,some fun,exploration,you know gaming not numbers.

No idea why the mention of 1.2 mil logging in when doing a review,that is more like something a develoepr would use when trying to create interest or for marketing purposes...ahem right Blizzard?

"getting the band back together"You know what this read sounded like?Like a sequence of objectives/actions but again no depth as to WHY or what kind of gameplay this offered,just a more of "this is what i did"this is not a review type speech but more as i said,a mention of what i did while skipping the REVIEW aspect.

About the only review type aspect of the many paragraphs was mention the story is told with beautiful graphics but even then this small tidbit is more VAGUE because great graphics means something different to every single user.Yes it is HIS review therefor HIS opinion of graphics but you are trying to convey this to the reader not just yourself.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Basic gest of my points is that to someone sitting on the fence,maybe tons of people wondering if they still want to try this game or outright buy it,this review offered nothing at all.

Perhaps this is the fail of getting journalists /writers to do reviews,they are too busy formulating a tactical ENGLISH layout rather than talking to their audience as a true gamer.Yes i know most if not all are actual gamer's but i still see the journalist coming out ahead of the gamer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited September 2017

Greyhaven said:

I think The Division did a much better job of balancing story content and Raid Content, it's pretty obvious that D2 is everything is quick filler to get you to the raid, its the WoW formula and I don't think that will be enough for anyone but the hard core Destiny fan. I'm not saying I'm regretting my purchase I was just hoping for more.

What RAID content does The Division have?

I love the PVE in The Division, but the so called Raid content in The Division is utterly broken and never fixed!
    The PVP in The Division is utterly broken and they have no clue how to fix that either! The Dark Zone is a mess!

I really enjoyed leveling to 30 in The Division and just created a new char again. But the endgame is just a total broken mess! :(
    Post edited by JeroKane on
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    so eh... is the game any good or what?

Dvora said:

so eh... is the game any good or what?

IT is GREAT!