Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Greatest MMORPGs of All Time - 2017 Edition - The List - MMORPG.com

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    A lot of you guys don't understand that this list is for 2017, not 2009. We can't have the same MMOs on every single list over and over, specially when your nostalgia in interfering with your concepts of a "good" MMO. 
    So you think Avengers might at some point replace Citizen Kane on the best movies of all time then?

Not that I got anything against this list though. But when you say all time you don't replace lesser titles with better titles just because they are newer. 
    Hmmm I'm with you on this one (You had me by just mentioning Citizen Kane).

HOWEVER, I do think with time certain older games their influence diminishes, and therefor their importance.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    No one wins with these lists
    There doesn't have to be a winner.

Unless you're, you know...

what..? :|

Highlander. This is the quickening when a highlander kills another and gains their power. I use this reference often in the forums because gamers, mmo gamers in particular, have a penchant for this sort of thinking. Everything is a zero sum game of mutual exclusivity. If I proclaim the greatness of one game, by the rules of gamer physics, it automatically means your game is less than mine and you lose. Winning who's game is the best is more important than actually playing the games.
    Oh nice reference. I love highlander! ^^ <3
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • BloodastralBloodastral Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Best fantasy mmo's
    1. Asheron's Call
    2. World of Warcraft
    3. Final Fantasy XIV
    4. Lord of the Rings Online
    5. Black desert Online
    6. Everquest 2
    7. Tera
    8. Elder Scrolls Online
    9. Guild Wars 2
    10. Ultima Online
    lahnmir said:
    A lot of you guys don't understand that this list is for 2017, not 2009. We can't have the same MMOs on every single list over and over, specially when your nostalgia in interfering with your concepts of a "good" MMO. 
    So you think Avengers might at some point replace Citizen Kane on the best movies of all time then?

Not that I got anything against this list though. But when you say all time you don't replace lesser titles with better titles just because they are newer. 

HOWEVER, I do think with time certain older games their influence diminishes, and therefor their importance.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I agree. Not just because of time though, that's what I'm saying. Avengers #98934 in 2803 won't ever replace Citizen Kane. There needs to be other factors than just being new, and it is completely unrelated to when the list is published. 

Again, I don't have a problem with this list at all. I just have different opinion myself, which I know it ain't popular. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    well, personally i'd add WAR to that list, no matter how much it failed, but that list ain't about me i guess :pensive:

WoW #1 is undeniable true tho

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Guess I'll post a personal list too (my opinion of "greatest" not my personal favs):

1. EQ
    2. WoW
    3. DAoC
    4. EVE
    5. AC
    6. GW/GW2
    7. WAR
    8. SWTOR
    9.  UO
    10. SWG (honestly kind of uncomfortable about that one)

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Sort of agree with this. 

Weirdly, influence is one of the few things that will never diminish, only grow. For example, WoW launched and immediately influenced games in development. Today, we are still feeling the influence of WoW, so it's total influence on the genre is still growing, even if each game influenced by it now is influenced to a lesser degree. Eventually it's influence will stop growing, but it's historic influence will always be there. 

What will (hopefully) happen over time is that old games will end up in a position where their influence is the only thing left. 

For example, lets look at SWG. At the time of release, it had amazing graphics, good gameplay, massive worlds, great profession system, awesome social features and the best crafting/economy ever seen in an MMO. 

Since launch, it has influenced other games, but newer games have gotten better graphics, better gameplay, larger worlds, smoother profession systems etc. It has been bested in nearly all areas, leaving only it's originality, influence, superior crafting and social systems to get it onto anyone's list. SWG's influence seems to be quite minimal, so it is really relying on it's originality, social stuff and crafting to keep it in our minds as a great game. 

A game like ESO, on the other hand....being a newer game and a popular game, it seems natural to put it on these lists. It has better graphics / stories / whatever than most competitors and older games. Yet, look to the future - ESO will be bested in the near future. What will be it's legacy? It hasn't really introduced much to the genre, so it's influence is likely to be minimal and it's originality is already minimal. I would hope most of it's features will be bettered by newer games, so in 5 or 10 years time, you won't see ESO on these sorts of list. You will still see the older games though, because the older games continue to have influence and their originality is fondly remembered. 
  • sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200

SWTOR probably helped push the "story driven MMO" revolution, far more than ESO did, which came a good deal later. And FFXIV and LotR:O are soundly in the WoW clones category, just with a better emphasis on story (although WoW upped their game there too if I'm not mistaken). It's very much a personal preference list over an objective one IMO.

This was right along my thinking as I saw the list as well, especially with the story driven aspect of SWTOR over ESO.

SWTOR was never too popular, especially in Europe. It has nothing revolutionary and was always considered as an another WoW clone.
  • Brokengun1987Brokengun1987 Member CommonPosts: 6
    The top 3 are right but IMO I would go...

1. UO
    2. EQ
    3. WoW

Currently I am playing FF14 and as it is a very solid MMO I can see why it isn't on this list. It really isn't groundbreaking and hasn't really brought anything huge to the table that hasn't been done.
    RufusUO
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    edited September 2017
    Since some people are making their lists:

1. EQ
    2. WOW (Pre-Cata)
    3. DDO
    4. Shadowbane
    5. SWG
    6+:  Umm...Yea, I got nothing.  At this point, it is like chewing the same piece of gum since 2004.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    WOW made #1 again O.o
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

While I agree with you in principle, the fact is a "best of" list has to also remain relevant. Unlike movies, games can only be experienced in the moment. We have reached a point where gamers weren't born when UO released and were roughly three when it reached its heyday. There is no way they can relate to UO on this list or even begin to understand why it's on the list. A movie you can just go rent, watch, and make an assessment. You can't go play UO in 1997.

Twenty years from now gamers will think of UO the way we think of Pong today. 
    ConstantineMerusKyleranlahnmir

While I agree with you in principle, the fact is a "best of" list has to also remain relevant. Unlike movies, games can only be experienced in the moment. We have reached a point where gamers weren't born when UO released and were roughly three when it reached its heyday. There is no way they can relate to UO on this list or even begin to understand why it's on the list. A movie you can just go rent, watch, and make an assessment. You can't go play UO in 1997.

I agree to an extent.  But movies also pull from contemporary society issues and values, so some of the value of Citizen Kane is lost in the context of the time in which is was created.

However, as you say, watching a movie is not dependent upon a community of movie watchers, as is experiencing an MMORPG.
    Iselin

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    What a terrible list. Why do I still bother with this website?
    Kyleran

REALITY CHECK

• cloud3431cloud3431 Member CommonPosts: 9
    wow number 1? go home, you're drunk
    Kyleran
  • TorzonborzTorzonborz Member UncommonPosts: 6
    For me No1: SWG forever!
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Mitara said:
    Where are all the games that was launched after 2010?
    Still in Early Access
    KyleranRufusUO
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I agree to an extent.  But movies also pull from contemporary society issues and values, so some of the value of Citizen Kane is lost in the context of the time in which is was created.

However, as you say, watching a movie is not dependent upon a community of movie watchers, as is experiencing an MMORPG.
    It's inevitable that modern context colors our perception of classics. Even more so, "best" is not really an objective measure even if we try our damndest to make it so. Metropolis may very well be one of the best Scifi movies ever but I'll pop Blade Runner or Arrival into my BD player over it 99 times out of 100.
    Mendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

It's inevitable that modern context colors our perception of classics. Even more so, "best" is not really an objective measure even if we try our damndest to make it so. Metropolis may very well be one of the best Scifi movies ever but I'll pop Blade Runner or Arrival into my BD player over it 99 times out of 100.
    People are different mate, I don't. I tolerated Arrival and won't ever watch it again but I'll keep revisiting Metropolis every few years or so. Popularity, doesn't increase or decrease the quality. If that was the case we could've just shut down the world of criticism and weighed everything by their sales. And I also believe the special effects would only get old when the movie is about the special effects.

And regarding what @postlarval said, yes I understand that. And that is exactly the reason--as I mentioned before--I am totally okay with the list. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Iselin said:

People are different mate, I don't. I tolerated Arrival and won't ever watch it again but I'll keep revisiting Metropolis every few years or so. Popularity, doesn't increase or decrease the quality. If that was the case we could've just shut down the world of criticism and weighed everything by their sales. And I also believe the special effects would only get old when the movie is about the special effects.

And regarding what @postlarval said, yes I understand that. And that is exactly the reason--as I mentioned before--I am totally okay with the list. 
    Top anything lists are strongly influenced by the current audience. 

If you were to ask most millineals where Citizen Kane rates many would say, huh?
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Iselin said:

Yo....  Blade Runner sequel this October.  B)
    IselinMrMelGibson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Iselin said:

I already have friends who think it will be crap but I'll be there opening night. B)
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited September 2017
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

I already have friends who think it will be crap but I'll be there opening night. B)
    Same here!  I will go into it optimistic as I've seen some of Gosling's more recent works that I really enjoyed.  Like Brad and Leo, Gosling has become much more than a 6 pack and a handsome smile.  He's a legit great actor.

Also, Harrison Ford will always be awesome.  Even when he goes on Conan O'Brien seemingly stoned out of his gourd.  :D

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

I might even be there for the midnight showing as I used to do now and then when I was younger. I might need to take my folding chair and a thermos full of Ovaltine but I'll be there :)
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

Same here!  I will go into it optimistic as I've seen some of Gosling's more recent works that I really enjoyed.  Like Brad and Leo, Gosling has become much more than a 6 pack and a handsome smile.  He's a legit great actor.

Also, Harrison Ford will always be awesome.  Even when he goes on Conan O'Brien seemingly stoned out of his gourd.  :D
    Likely he is, painkiller addiction from his injuries during the last SW's movie.
    MadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon