Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$45,000 Refund, Allegedly.

Comments

• Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:
    When you are done with the goalpost can you please bring it back, cheers.
    Nah, the way I see, if they move SC 3.0 to more early-access like, then it's well possible the terms Valve uses start to apply here, where if you buy SC at that point you're buying it "as it is", the only relevant exception to this would be SQ42.
    If something is advertised as early access and downloaded ...fine.
    If something is advertised as full game and can be played as advertised there is no problem.
    If something is advertised as ship hull with applicable VAT this ship hull is digital content and therefore the customer can apply the customer law for this purchase, if it is not useable in advertised manner or can't be downloaded it can be refunded in the EU. And therefore I paid VAT for a product it is a purchase (not a donation) and under customer protection.
    ExcessionKefo

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Rockard said:
    What on earth was included in those packages for them to worth a total of 45K?
    Are we still talking about a video game with digital spaceships,or real spaceships...?

3 completionist packages that contain most of the spaceships. Yes I said most lol so you still gotta shell out even more if you wanna catch em all!
    kikoodutroa8Octagon7711
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Talonsin said:
    No contract can waive the law of a country.  If a country has a law that say you can not do "A" then no matter what you put in your contract you can not legally do "A".  Please stop making stuff up. 
    I'm sure Valve is not above the law because when have that working policy. The Early Access games stand "as it is", no refunds afterward the 14 days / 2 hours.

It can't be just legal for them and not for everyone else...
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    You can waive away the 14 days because this is not part of the EU law on digital products, the 14 days are for online purchases of physical goods and cannot be waived away.
    A TOS can never overwrite the current law of a country.
    Steam mentions explicit in their TOS that the 14 days and 2 hours of testing they offer extends the current EU law for customer satisfaction.
    The waiving can apply in a fully legal way if there is specific waiving agreement with that from the customer, otherwise, it can and will be contested.

Say if CIG comes up with a policy similar to Steam but in a more free matter that yes you have a right to refund, but IF you don't play the game for over X time, that would work, especially if as Steam does with Early Access, the "as it is policy" applies.
    Steam's Early Access policy is very simple: They do not sell you a complete game.

Star Citizen could go with similar policy, but that would be difficult because then they'd have to put disclaimers like "This is only a picture and it may or may not change further. If you do not want to purchase this picture in its current state, then you should wait to see if it's developed further into a ship that's flyable in-game"

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Excellent news...The game will be completed with or without the crybaby naysayer's cash at this point and frankly, we could all use way less of those these days. Too bad they'll get to come back when the game goes live..and they will.
    Kefokikoodutroa8Asm0deusalkarionlogFlyByKnightTheScavengerErillionDakeru
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:
    No contract can waive the law of a country.  If a country has a law that say you can not do "A" then no matter what you put in your contract you can not legally do "A".  Please stop making stuff up. 
    I'm sure Valve is not above the law because when have that working policy. The Early Access games stand "as it is", no refunds afterward the 14 days / 2 hours.

Just because Valve/Steam say they do not give out refunds after 14 days/2 hours, does not mean you cannot legally get a refund.

Valve/Steam just know that most people will not bother to jump through the hoops needed to do so.
    TalonsinOctagon7711Azaron_Nightblade

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

edited September 2017
    If something is advertised as early access and downloaded ...fine.
    If something is advertised as full game and can be played as advertised there is no problem.
    If something is advertised as ship hull with applicable VAT this ship hull is digital content and therefore the customer can apply the customer law for this purchase, if it is not useable in advertised manner or can't be downloaded it can be refunded in the EU. And therefore I paid VAT for a product it is a purchase (not a donation) and under customer protection.
    That would apply to concepts and such, not to the entire thing, as, say the ships you bought that were added to the game, it would make most sense in say buying a concept that is not added is something you're not buying "as it is", but the game itself would.

Vrika said:
    Steam's Early Access policy is very simple: They do not sell you a complete game.

Star Citizen could go with similar policy, but that would be difficult because then they'd have to put disclaimers like "This is only a picture and it may or may not change further. If you're do not want to purchase this picture in its current state, then you should wait to see if it's developed further into a ship that's flyable in-game"
    The product is the unfinished game, that's just the business side of the term while in the development front we just see the normal development up to release.

It is important with disclaimers you're right, but special terms would face on stuff like concept sales, the disclaimer that the concepts change is always there already I think.

Excession said:
    Valve/Steam just know that most people will not bother to jump through the hoops needed to do so.
    Depends on the location, see Australian far more defensive law on this clashes with Valve's terms because they refuse them to Australians that can file complaints.

For US, Canada or even Europe they stand iron hand with those terms, though I've saw Valve refunding Early Access when some titles got pulled from the store and couldn't be played anymore.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited September 2017
    Interesting that the talk has now moved to SC launching unfinished on Steam.

Went from one game to rule them all, to well its basically done....have fun.
    bcbully
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229

Sounds like a Chris Roberts game to me. Over promise and under deliver
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited September 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Talonsin said:

The 14D / 2H Valve rule is an automatic process. If you are resident in Australia you can enforce apllicable customer protection laws to get a refund by just describing the case in the refund request in your steam client.

Game too buggy, not working as advertised (in the online shop you bought it) > Ask for a refund and it will be granted cause you are under customer protection ... hell I sound like a broken record ...
    If NMS advertised Multiplayer in their Steam page (they didn't) and after 3 weeks you find out that there is no multiplayer > refundable
    Octagon7711

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

edited September 2017
    The 14D / 2H Valve rule is an automatic process. If you are resident in Australia you can enforce apllicable customer protection laws to get a refund by just describing the case in the refund request in your steam client.
    Yes, that's why it's so localized, now I have already tried as European and standing decently strong protection on this aspect, standing to reason that they updated their servers and I could no longer play what they didn't work out after reaching them for months, and Valve kept an iron hand no on it.

If I was Australian, I'm sure I would have gotten it though.

Game too buggy, not working as advertised (in the online shop you bought it) > Ask for a refund and it will be granted cause you are under customer protection ... hell I sound like a broken record ...
    If NMS advertised Multiplayer in their Steam page (they didn't) and after 3 weeks you find out that there is no multiplayer > refundable
    The buggy factor would be under the 14 days reasonably, NMS for example when the steam page came out they marked the game (the company) as one MMO, later removed it but there was bad material in the page supposed to be from the (released) game that wasn't, that's why we saw them allowing NMS refunds independent of the number of hours/days.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    I wish Shroud of the Avatar gave refunds. :neutral:
    Asm0deusAzaron_Nightblade
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Have you tried getting one? Remember that CIG doesn't give refunds either. 
    Octagon7711

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Wow, when you look at it like that. 

I thought for sure with 250 mill they'd have their own publishing and hosting. I guess 250 mill isn't what it used to be....
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    Wow, when you look at it like that. 

I thought for sure with 250 mill they'd have their own publishing and hosting. I guess 250 mill isn't what it used to be....
    0 standing grounds of SC in the Steam platform. Being early access game is not being a game in steam early access just because they popularized the term.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Citizentologists are losing their $#!^ trying to bright side stuff like this.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    What I take out of that story is that there are cooperate organisations that form guilds and use cooperate credit cards to buy packages for online games.

What kind of business would spend $45k on a video game for their employees?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'm sure they'll find another Kickstarter to throw that money at in the meanwhile. Time to get themselves a Kingdom or four.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    azarhal said:
    What I take out of that story is that there are cooperate organisations that form guilds and use cooperate credit cards to buy packages for online games.

What kind of business would spend $45k on a video game for their employees?
    IDK, but if you find one please let me know. :smiley:
    Talonsin[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

CrazKanuk said:

Yes, I've tried a couple times.  Their "policy" won't allow them to give anyone refunds but they said I could sell it if I wanted too in their forums.
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    CrazKanuk said:

Yes, I've tried a couple times.  Their "policy" won't allow them to give anyone refunds but they said I could sell it if I wanted too in their forums.

Had no problems getting a refund myself, the process took about a week and they were very decent about it. They used to be quite awkward but now it seems to be much smoother.

Cotic said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Had no problems getting a refund myself, the process took about a week and they were very decent about it. They used to be quite awkward but now it seems to be much smoother.

Seriously?  Ok, I'm trying again. It's been a few months.  Thanks!
    Cotic said:
    He isn't talking SC, he is talking SOTA.
  • PieMonsterPieMonster Member UncommonPosts: 33
    The post if legit. They used the exact same text on my refund of two accounts totalling $3600 in the last week. The text is a template and doesnt come from the individual CS rep, but clearly from CIG officially. I first enquired about a refund the day after Gamescom, so this was done relatively fast. CIG have been helpful and the process was simple, bar complexities over gifted pledges between my accounts, which got quickly sorted. Kudos to them, they were professional about it.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    There have been detailed posts on the internet of how someone got a large refund offering step by step directions.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey