Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everything You Need to Know Features-wise for Thursday's Release - Divinity Original Sin 2 Videos -

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageEverything You Need to Know Features-wise for Thursday's Release - Divinity Original Sin 2 Videos - MMORPG.com

Larian's Divinity: Original Sin 2 is one of the most anticipated RPGs and it's out this Thursday. To get everyone ready to hit the ground running, a brand new trailer has been released to explore some of the features they can expect including characters, progression paths, a beautifully rendered world and much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    edited September 2017
    Looks fun and deep with potential for tons of replayability!
    Fishy4545
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    I really wanted to like this game, think I created 5 different characters to start the game with, but the element and status effects were way too huge a factor in deciding comabt.  It went beyond a comabt depth-enhancing feature to governing how combat was fought.  It struck me as gimmicky, and it didn't help that all humanoid enemy types seem to be half archers flinging elemental arrows every round.

All in all, it is an experience that I wish I could enjoy, but that combat mechanic had me enduring instead of enjoying.
    AvarixLucienRene[Deleted User]IselinMrMelGibsonqoma

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

I really wanted to like this game, think I created 5 different characters to start the game with, but the element and status effects were way too huge a factor in deciding comabt.  It went beyond a comabt depth-enhancing feature to governing how combat was fought.  It struck me as gimmicky, and it didn't help that all humanoid enemy types seem to be half archers flinging elemental arrows every round.

All in all, it is an experience that I wish I could enjoy, but that combat mechanic had me enduring instead of enjoying.

This was my major complaint with the first. I couldn't get into it because of this. I'll give it a pass, for now.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]qoma
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Weird I got the opposite perspective and enjoy planning strategies with my buddies with our class synergies and using the environment to our advantage. It makes party combat a lot more interesting especially if the alternative would be to just 'do more dmg' and 'heal more' like traditional mmorpgs have.
    LucienReneWaanMrMelGibson
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Weird I got the opposite perspective and enjoy planning strategies with my buddies with our class synergies and using the environment to our advantage. It makes party combat a lot more interesting especially if the alternative would be to just 'do more dmg' and 'heal more' like traditional mmorpgs have.
    Maybe so, but I feel like it was too much.  It governed the outcome of my fights so heavily that I felt obligated to load up my tanks with nades and forego really using their class skills and just spamming the grenades.

As I mentioned, it went beyond simply enhancing the depth of combat in my opinion, to governing the depth of combat.

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Yes! Can't wait!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Can't wait to see what's past Act 1.  Also should be interesting to start a game with your main being an undead.  My only compliant is I wish you got to customize 2 characters at the start like you did in D:O1.  But, it's trivial at best since you get more party members pretty quickly.
    [Deleted User]
  • Fishy4545Fishy4545 Member CommonPosts: 2
    for those that are commenting negatively about status effects , I personally liked them and the way the mechanics worked for the first game.... but from what I understand status should be approx twice as hard to inflict or be afflicted with in this upcoming game... for example you will need to chill before freeze and shock before stun... so skills that could stun and freeze from a base level are no longer available in the release version of the game, making status just as important in this version but more difficult to initiate
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • Fishy4545Fishy4545 Member CommonPosts: 2

I've made a comment below but this will change in release version if the second game
    [Deleted User]
  • NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Oh my, I had purchased this in EA phase and completely forgot by now. So release is today then huh, time to fire up steam client.

Weather forecast for my country is rain throughout the weekend but I suspect there's gonna be a firestorm and frostblast and poison clouds...
    MrMelGibsonRelampago[Deleted User]
    Fishy4545 said:
    for those that are commenting negatively about status effects , I personally liked them and the way the mechanics worked for the first game.... but from what I understand status should be approx twice as hard to inflict or be afflicted with in this upcoming game... for example you will need to chill before freeze and shock before stun... so skills that could stun and freeze from a base level are no longer available in the release version of the game, making status just as important in this version but more difficult to initiate
    It's not only that.  Each character has physical and magical armor that has to be destroyed first before the status effects take place.  For example, you can't just freeze someone that is wet or chilled before you drop that magical armor.  So in that respect status effects are not as easily acquired as in D:OS1.  That's my experience from playing the EA the last couple of days.
    [Deleted User]
  • zanzarothzanzaroth Member UncommonPosts: 40
    where is the console version?

Maybe so, but I feel like it was too much.  It governed the outcome of my fights so heavily that I felt obligated to load up my tanks with nades and forego really using their class skills and just spamming the grenades.

As I mentioned, it went beyond simply enhancing the depth of combat in my opinion, to governing the depth of combat.
    With magical armor that all your characters have, it's not as easy to drop status effects like in the first game.  You should consider trying this game out if you even slightly enjoyed the first one.  The combat and a lot else has been changed for the better.  You'll have a pretty good idea if you want to keep playing an hour into the game.  If you don't, just do a steam refund :-)
    [Deleted User]
    zanzaroth said:
    If one does come out, it probably won't be for a while.  The first one was like a year after the PC launch if I remember right.  This was a PC first game.  
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I too loved the element and status effects because if I was not careful I get wiped. It made for an interesting game and one of my characters crafted and carried a gazzilion arrows of every type.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    zanzaroth said:
    If one does come out, it probably won't be for a while.  The first one was like a year after the PC launch if I remember right.  This was a PC first game.  
    Yeah console was released with PC enhanced edition which they improved some graphics (if I remember right) and did a complete voice acting for all characters and dialogues. 

Since they are already riding the success trAin this time, I guess it won't take a year before the console release. 
    [Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung