Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance - PAX West 2017 - Trion's Recommitment to the Game - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDefiance - PAX West 2017 - Trion's Recommitment to the Game - MMORPG.com

Action MMO Defiance entered the world a few years ago as a tie-in to the SyFy channel show of the same name. Now, five years later the show may no longer exist, but the game is still alive and well. And the team at Trion Worlds is ready to recommit to making Defiance a success and making it a game players will want to immerse themselves in for at least another five years.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Every so often, I really want to play this. Then, I forget. Time to remedy that.
    tomahawk1930[Deleted User]Tom272meonthissiteAzaron_NightbladeSlyLoKsschrupp

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    This game could have done so much better if they bother releasing it on the PS4 and XBOne, like so many other developers have done.

The PC version is a ghost town. Every time I try go back to it, I end up uninstalling it again a day later.
    meonthissite
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

JeroKane said:

This game could have done so much better if they bother releasing it on the PS4 and XBOne, like so many other developers have done.

The PC version is a ghost town. Every time I try go back to it, I end up uninstalling it again a day later.

funny thing is during beta I send a lot of bug reports and ideas to make the game, after sometime I saw some of ideas I said there (possible I was not the only one to make have said teh same ideas but it was nice), but a lot of things like bug and the p2p thing during launch really make me not care much, not teh game was bad but there was too many games to play back in that time I really didnt care to spend time, then when you had the time you remember who ahve his hands on this game and with all trion letdowns and me saying I will not play any trion again for a long time, make me just wonder how this game iss till up and running since event the series is over
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

JeroKane said:

It didn't help that the show only ran for 2 seasons. SyFy now has a whole portfolio of great sci-fi they could link to an MMO to.

Killjoys- Started off slow first season, but got better in the second.
    Dark Matter-This show keeps expanding.
    The Expanse- I feel It's still gaining it's sea legs, but started out well even though it's limited series due to huge budget. Pretty big world and lots of conflict.

Sadly due to Defiance kind of falling flat so fast, I doubt they will ever do another series with MMO tie-in.
    marganculos
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Tiller said:

JeroKane said:

It didn't help that the show only ran for 2 seasons. SyFy now has a whole portfolio of great sci-fi they could link to an MMO to.

The Expanse- I feel It's still gaining it's sea legs, but started out well even though it's limited series due to huge budget. Pretty big world and lots of conflict.

Sadly due to Defiance kind of falling flat so fast, I doubt they will ever do another series with MMO tie-in.
    "Dark Matter-This show keeps expanding."
    Not anymore SyFy canceled it after season 3. The show creator says it is because it is not a SyFy original.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1699611/why-dark-matter-really-got-cancelled-by-syfy-according-to-the-creator
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I have a horrible horrible track record with Trion games. I literally cannot get invested in their games no matter how much I like the concept or ideas within.. there is always that one thing that makes me dislike whatever game it is. Rift, Trove, Archeage. My 5 yr old likes trove a lot though, but then again she can't read yet. For me to give defiance another chance would take quite a serious marketing push or recommendation from a trusted gamer friend.
    AlomarMrMelGibsonJeroKane

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    The show was pretty good for it's budget, and I thoroughly enjoyed it's 3 seasons. Yet, I played the game at launch and boy was that a mess. While it may have improved since then, Trion is permanently in my "no fly (play) zone" after AA.
    MaelzraelMrMelGibson
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I have said since Xbox One and PS4 came out that Trion needed Defiance on them. Wouldn't mind seeing it on Nintendo Switch now also.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Pre-ordered it for $60 because I had faith in Trion after Rift but I did not realize they lost so many people that made Rift a good game. The game then goes F2P and for my support in backing them since day one I got a whopping 30 days of premium time. Uninstalled and was very disappointed in Trion but did not start hating them until Archeage. Guess I am a slow learner.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• IrachtusIrachtus Member UncommonPosts: 18

Tiller said:

JeroKane said:

The expanse was written as an mmo to be the opposite of world of warcraft
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    its novel and fun for the first 2-3 hours. Then you realize you must pay into it to ever have a chance at real weapons. You open your wallet and then remeber that paying into a dead single player-mmo is fucking nonsense. You then hop back on Overwatch/Hearthstone/whatever well made game by someone other than TrinOFail.
  • DXSinsDXSins Member UncommonPosts: 324
    One new public event = "Recommitment to the Game"??? Kinda tells all one needs to know.
    rojoArcueidccmclaughmeonthissiteLackingMMOMrMelGibson
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Every so often, I really want to play this. Then, I forget. Time to remedy that.
    Same. I actually enjoyed it when I did play it but I keep forgetting to go back to it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

JeroKane said:

funny thing is during beta I send a lot of bug reports and ideas to make the game, after sometime I saw some of ideas I said there (possible I was not the only one to make have said teh same ideas but it was nice), but a lot of things like bug and the p2p thing during launch really make me not care much, not teh game was bad but there was too many games to play back in that time I really didnt care to spend time, then when you had the time you remember who ahve his hands on this game and with all trion letdowns and me saying I will not play any trion again for a long time, make me just wonder how this game iss till up and running since event the series is over

When a release takes place to another platform it forces the developers to fix long standing bugs, improve gameplay and communication with servers, and it forces them to improve the overall look of the game.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

MrSyn said:

One new public event = "Recommitment to the Game"??? Kinda tells all one needs to know.

A recommitment would be to launch it on consoles which would force them to address all of the long standing issues the game has had.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    OH! This is the one I've been trying to remember the name of when all the talk about Destiny 2 started! 8)

I remember playing the game and watching the TV show. I'm sure I didn't pay for it so I think it was still in Beta. The big disappointment for me was that it didn't seem to be very much tied to the TV show -- same world, but half a continent away and a different setting and activities. Then, too, I liked the TV show less and less as it went along. Just got so dark and nasty, when the name and setting and stuff at first seemed to suggest it would be about finding new hope, building alliances, and forming a new working synthesis of collided worlds AFTER the great apocalypse. Neither the game nor the TV show lived up to that hope. Just kill, kill, kill.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DMKano said:
    Hehe the real story is yet to be told...... wink wink

Ooohh teasing. Trion is shutting down AA and moving the team over to work on Defiance? I mean, Trion has done more silly things in the past......

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    edited September 2017

DMKano said:

Hehe the real story is yet to be told...... wink wink

Does it go something like this?

"Quick guys, Archeage is dying on its ass. Lets rescue an old forgotten game, it's our only chance. We can gouge some cash from more suckers, mmmmmm sweet suckers"

Think I nailed it personally.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    They should of done this a while ago. With Destiny 2 around the corner, I see zero reason to download this. I'm guessing I'm not going to be the only one.
    kinkyJalepenoKumapon
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    edited September 2017
    Maelzrael said:
    I have a horrible horrible track record with Trion games. I literally cannot get invested in their games no matter how much I like the concept or ideas within.. there is always that one thing that makes me dislike whatever game it is. Rift, Trove, Archeage. My 5 yr old likes trove a lot though, but then again she can't read yet. For me to give defiance another chance would take quite a serious marketing push or recommendation from a trusted gamer friend.

Totally agree.

The thing with Defiance is. I absolutely loved the game at launch! I had a total blast with it! That's why I kept trying going back to it.

Then that greedy bastard came aboard at Trion, shove a Cash Shop through our troats and butchered the game beyond recognition (gameplay wise) to push the Cash shop!

After that, I vowed to never ever buy another Trion game ever again!
    kinkyJalepenoPo_gg
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    SyFy has cancelled so many shows I love I would cheerfully throttle them if they were before me.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2017
    It was a cool game, and an awesome idea (the show-game ties, shared writing, etc.), with a bit lopsided execution (show got way more focus, the ties are never really got into either of them) but still a decent show and a fun game.

Then, pretty much what JK and Talon wrote above. Cash shop arrived, original buyers got barely nothing besides a pat on the head, and with the show's cancel the game went on backburner too.

I still used to go back for some shooting, I prefer Defiance over Planetside2 (and Firefall is down), so it's a good thing to hear they plan to put more focus on the game. I'd love to get a story-based expansion... now with the show's gone, they can do pretty much anything with the world.

But if that's the plan Kano is hinting, I'm really hoping they will hire some writers (preferably from around the show), since let's face it, Rift's story is... khm. bland? dull? badly written? I don't know which is the most fitting... :smiley:  so please don't try to continue / expand the story by yourselves, Trion.
  • AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    The game could have been all right. It was a bad console port, and after it went free to play it was basically abandoned, long standing  bugs never fixed, and progression was  based on buying lootboxes. I think the only reason it's still running is Trion developed and publishes it, so it basically costs them nothing to stick on some small machine to run the few hundred players it has.

I gave up when I submitted a bug report while paying the monthly patron thing and had to wait literally 6 weeks for a reply, which was an automated 'we are busy and your problem is old now so probably not relevant, submit a new report if you need help'.
    JeroKanePhry
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Sigh, all the Defiance big new open world arcs culminate in  events that just doesn't work right.  Friends and foes randomly disappear, reappear, blink around,  take you down without being in sight, etc.   And have for as long as I can recall.   That sort of accepted failure is not going to draw a big crowd to the game. 
    Phry

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    Defiance needs more character customization and new ideas! Sure, modding weapons is fine, but it needs armor pieces. The outfit system they currently have going should only be something you'd put over your armor pieces.

Defiance has some concepts going for it that only recently more and more companies are trying to do: Dynamic open world loot shooter events. (FireFall and Tabula Rasa both did it before Defiance, but those games are dead) Whatever the game does, it needs to do it quick. With games like Destiny 2 and The Division, I don't see much reason to ever play Defiance. Its gonna be even worse once Em8er comes out.