Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon doing level scaling? Seriously?

DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
Just heard this is a thing.   Cannot believe the devs are going with this current trend cop-out.  Someone please tell me I heard wrong.
pantarosvann[Deleted User]

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited September 2017
    First thing they've done that has interested me.

I've heard all the pros and cons of level scaling and have played MMOs with and without them and to me, keeping all content relevant at all levels makes more sense than discarding whole chunks of games as you level-up.

Better get used to it because they'll all be going that way.
    [Deleted User]Azaron_Nightbladedcutbi001pantarosvannPanther2103ConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonimmodiumjimmywolfand 6 others.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2017
    Wow, they're really doing level scaling? Link? If they seriously are, this just might put me on the fence instead of mostly interested. Wow is currently doing this with legion and there's rumors it might extend to the entire game in the next expansion. Personally, I dont like the scaling. True you can pretty much stay in a zone for however long you like and it might make certain zones seem more populated but honestly it has the same effect to a degree as just having zones with certain levels since there's always going to be dead zones. Plus most importantly, you really do lose out on that sense of feeling stronger when you go back to lower level zones and just one shot stuff.
    Eronakisdeniterwanderica
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This is a horrible idea. Not only does it remind players of the rampant themepark hand holding these days but it completely destroys immersion. Want to get stronger so you can take on the storm giants? No problem! Just run there at level 1 and kill them.
    Dullahan
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Albatroes said:
    True you can pretty much stay in a zone for however long you like and it might make certain zones seem more populated but honestly it has the same effect to a degree as just having zones with certain levels since there's always going to be dead zones.
    That's not true if done right. In ESO for example, the mobs in each zone drop 3 unique to that zone gear sets at whatver "true level" the player getting the drop happens to be: they can be useful while leveling just as much as they are at the gear level cap. They are also BOE so they can be sold for profit if it's not something you want to use yourself.

Sure, some zones continue to be more popular because the 3 gear sets that drop there are more highly sought after. But there are no dead zones at all and they use their metrics to constantly do slight buffs/nerfs to those world-drop gear sets to try to make them all desirable. 

That's not the only way to do it but it IS a way to do it that keeps all zones relevant.

Plus most importantly, you really do lose out on that sense of feeling stronger when you go back to lower level zones and just one shot stuff.

Yup but that's really old, stale design. It's much better to sprinkle in mobs of different difficulty all in the same area. This gives all zones a mix of faceroll, really tough content and everything else in between.

Besides the scaling does not mean everyone is 100% equal. True high level players will still have a much easier time than scaled low level players in the same zones due to better skills that are still acquired over time, better gear and more experience. This is very much the case in ESO where I see brand new low level players dying in fights with a single mob where I can wipe 5 of those at once without breaking a sweat at max level. That feeling of being stronger is alive and well despite the level scaling.
    KyleranExcession[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonSlyLoK[Deleted User]gervaise1wanderica
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    They are not doing full level scaling, it's a mentor system that scales you down to your friends level, if you wish, to keep the content somewhat challenging while playing with lower level players, but you'll not earn any XP or get any type of progression while you're doing it. And since it's an optional systems you'll not be scaled automatically only if you want to.
    dcutbi001Xarko[Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited September 2017
    OP, what's your source?
    dcutbi001MrMelGibson
    --------------------------------------------
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I, too, would like to see where this information is coming from.

dcutbi001

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    OP, what's your source?
    This.
    dcutbi001Panther2103MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Iselin said:
    First thing they've done that has interested me.

I've heard all the pros and cons of level scaling and have played MMOs with and without them and to me, keeping all content relevant at all levels makes more sense than discarding whole chunks of games as you level-up.

Better get used to it because they'll all be going that way.
    I like the way GW2 does it much better than ESO, though.  Scales you down to make lower level zones still present a challenge, but you don't scale up to meet the levels of higher creatures.  Encourages a coherent progression through content without discouraging a revisit of lower level zones if there's an event, quest, or POI you wanna do.

It was enough to turn me off of ESO completely in favor of GW2.
    Azaron_NightbladeStoneRoses

• dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited September 2017
    I follow Pantheon pretty closely, and this has never been something they have indicated they were doing. In fact, it pretty much goes against everything the game is about. 

As jpedrote52 mentioned, they are going to have a mentor system that scales a character down to the level of the person they are mentoring, but they are making it a point to say that the scaled down character will not have much more of an advantage than any other character of the same level. If anything, that makes the world a more dangerous place for any of the higher level players that decide to mentor. Mobs are not going to scale, and player levels are not going to scale up.

I'm not sure what your source is, but I suspect you either misunderstood what they were saying, or the source was just flat out wrong. 

I was able to tolerate ESO for a couple weeks, but the level scaling alone ruined that game for me. Pantheon is all about danger, and having to be cautious of your surroundings and environment. If mobs scaled to the players level is would destroy that entire premise. It's not something they are doing. 
    Sovrathjimmywolf[Deleted User]Griffbane
    I personally don't like level scaling. But I also don't believe in "noob zones" or at least keeping that to a minimum.

I like the idea of entering a zone and having something huge and very dangerous out there looking for me.

Probably one of the reasons I loved leveling in the Sea of Spores in Lineage 2.

dcutbi001Panther2103MikehaConstantineMeruswaynejr2

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• dcutbi001dcutbi001 Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Sovrath said:
    I personally don't like level scaling. But I also don't believe in "noob zones" or at least keeping that to a minimum.

I like the idea of entering a zone and having something huge and very dangerous out there looking for me.

If that's the kind of thing you like, expect to like that about Pantheon. It'll be like EQ in that regard where, even in many of the lower level zones, there will be big nasties running around, and higher level players will have to show up and take them out. It gives the higher level players a reason to visit the lower level zones, and it lets the lower level players watch the higher leveled player at work allowing them to be inspired to keep pushing.
    jimmywolf
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Mentoring is fine, as long as the mentor's stats are not inflated. I guess this was clickbait then :pensive:
    dcutbi001 said:
    Sovrath said:

If that's the kind of thing you like, expect to like that about Pantheon. It'll be like EQ in that regard where, even in many of the lower level zones, there will be big nasties running around, and higher level players will have to show up and take them out. It gives the higher level players a reason to visit the lower level zones, and it lets the lower level players watch the higher leveled player at work allowing them to be inspired to keep pushing.
    I've been following Pantheon and it's the only mmorpg. that I'm truly excited about. Well, there aren't a lot on the horizong, but I'm prepared to leave Black Desert and forgo Bless (when it comes out) for Pantheon.

Dragon's Dogma Online might be a contender if it ever came here.
    kadajvolajuGriffbane

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    We are not instancing or level scaling, we will have a Mentor system that allows players of different levels to lower themselves to the lowest level player to group up and play together at appropriate levels, it is optional and just a way for high level players to play with low level friends/family and new players without steamrolling everything.
    MadFrenchieAlbatroes[Deleted User]JemAs666MrMelGibsondelete5230d_20Relampagodcutbi001kadajvolajuand 1 other.
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Kilsin said:
    We are not instancing or level scaling, we will have a Mentor system that allows players of different levels to lower themselves to the lowest level player to group up and play together at appropriate levels, it is optional and just a way for high level players to play with low level friends/family and new players without steamrolling everything.
    Kilsin said:
    as a person without as much playtime as my friends, I want this very much and it will keep me as a longtime paying customer. So thank you.
    Kilsin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kilsin said:
    I'm okay with downscaling, as it keeps the lower level areas relevant (so long as there are resources of value there) and, as you said, provides opportunities to play with friends not as far into the game.

Not a huge fan of boosting, as I feel it cheapens the sense of progression, which I enjoy in my MMORPGs.  I like that you're not including that kind of scaling.
    Kilsin

Kilsin said:
    Excellent to hear. Lol I'm back to being all in again.
    Kilsin
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    The OP is mistaken about Pantheon.

I abhor level scaling in PvE, its the main reason I cant stand GW2 and ESO PvE.

Any MMO that has level scaling.... I have zero interest.

Good thing Pantheon isnt doing that crap.

I am a huge fan of swarming and mass killing lower level areas when you get mad gear and are in godmode basically.
      Yea , cause kickin kittens is fun ..........
    MrMelGibsonStoneRosesShadowdawnzCheechGLGGriffbane
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:

I am a huge fan of swarming and mass killing lower level areas when you get mad gear and are in godmode basically.
      Yea , cause kickin kittens is fun ..........
    If those kittens transform into hideous spike covered creatures when you aggro/attack them like those boars in Hellfire Peninsula of BC WoW then yes, yes it can be fun. Hopefully they have mobs like that btw.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Despise level scaling, sucks the immersion right out of my MMO
    [Deleted User]deniter[Deleted User]
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:

This floored me, for the wrong reasons!! XD
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So levels but no levels ..makes NO SENSE.
    This would be an idea i 100% would not play,i want the world to have an identity and not some endless loop to become a dungeon looter.
    Ever heard of the great White Dragon,,oh yeah he is that really tough creature our level 75 group had a tough time beating,,oh wait we just beat him with our level 1 group....sigh.

It turns every last creature/npc into a level 1 meaningless entity,just some target for loot.
    Kyleran

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:

I believe that level scaling is an anathema to RPGs.  Hate it.  I too hated GW2 and ESO.

Uproardcutbi001
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Wizardry said:
    So levels but no levels ..makes NO SENSE.
    This would be an idea i 100% would not play,i want the world to have an identity and not some endless loop to become a dungeon looter.
    Ever heard of the great White Dragon,,oh yeah he is that really tough creature our level 75 group had a tough time beating,,oh wait we just beat him with our level 1 group....sigh.

It turns every last creature/npc into a level 1 meaningless entity,just some target for loot.
    Fortunately for you, they are not doing that then. You could have known by reading the thread you know... but off you went on some train of thought/verbal diarreah post without bothering to look what was going on in the first place.

Surprise, surprise.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranMrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

This discussion has been closed.