Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can't say I don't miss it

drachennwolfdrachennwolf Member UncommonPosts: 23
Because I do, but I really don't miss the costs associated with everything, from costumes to competitiveness. I quit right before the original merges, right at the peak of the RNG shitstorm, and though I'd love to go back and play, I won't do it unless the game becomes subscription based with small p2p perks, like costumes or exp bonuses. I definitely do not miss the RNG, but I'm glad it's been nerfed a bit, and the new rng system does sound appealing.

I know, I know, this will lead to a massive uptick in gold sellers, blah, blah, but the truth of it is, every game that uses this type of model (Black Desert, WoW, ESO) has been wildly successful. One can only hope. Actually, I think the eventual outcome will be to move to new subscription servers for new players with the choice of f2p or p2p, to keep the game generating revenue, because ultimately the f2p model will not be able to sustain Trion's overhead with the game.

I definitely do miss the open world housing (I had awesome neighbors, and I remember at the first Christmas event they gave me a picture for my house of them in christmas costumes waving, it was actually RP-tastic and very, very cool of them). I miss being able to spend hours a day farming, and defending the farms from pvpers. I also miss being able to freely pvp as a pirate, and the naval pirate raids we had. Upgrading ships was a cool feature, but it became pointless when you'd get boarded left and right. 

I'd go back in a heartbeat if the game ever had a sub server. ArcheAge was one of the best MMOs I've played as far as things to do goes, and I do miss it quite a bit. A real gem, with a few bad mechanics that just brought the whole game down. And don't get me wrong, I swiped my fair share too, but now looking back at it all, I won't fall into that trap again.

I guess I can hope, right?
Talon - Ezi server

Sidenote: Black Desert was a very fun game, too, but the RNG just drove me out of that game entirely. Nothing better than spending hours upon hours grinding some cash, only to watch it explode in front of you.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Sidenote: Black Desert was a very fun game, too, but the RNG just drove me out of that game entirely. Nothing better than spending hours upon hours grinding some cash, only to watch it explode in front of you.
    You could do what I do and just buy the finished, already enchanted items from the market?

It requires a bit of patience and suppressing the desire to be BADASS NOW!!!

But when I was enchanting my sword I added up the costs I had already sunk into the thing and realized I could have purchased the next level without the hassle.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • drachennwolfdrachennwolf Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Sovrath said:

You could do what I do and just buy the finished, already enchanted items from the market?

It requires a bit of patience and suppressing the desire to be BADASS NOW!!!

But when I was enchanting my sword I added up the costs I had already sunk into the thing and realized I could have purchased the next level without the hassle.

Problem is, I'm already at the point where I have TETs and TRIs, and jewels don't tend to sell at the rank I would need to progress. I already beat the RNG for the most part, but it got to the point where the RNG was now rolling me back and I didn't like it.

I also kind of hated playing witch. Not because it's not a fun class, but it's extremely unbalanced. In GvG our kill charts top 10 were witches and wizards almost exclusively.

I dunno, just felt like I was playing the game as a second job (third job), and that just turned me off. Undersea exploration was the cat's ass, though. I spent weeks just swimming around looking for chests.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    There is some talk on the AA forums that Trion has been pressuring XL to do something about the gear gap. I'm not holding my breath but if they actually made lower level gear a bit more competitive vs. veteran gear by shrinking the gap a bit that would seriously increase my enjoyment of this game.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2017
    Yep same here I miss the game But Trion, and XL needs to make major fixes to the game such as allowing more global inventory system to store items and banking etc there is also no place to store costumes besides in house / chests that can be lost if you lets say get stuck in the hospital for 30 days or something happens IRL and you don't pay your tax you lose your stuff or can lose it so when ur like me and u own 10+ Cash shop costumes spent lots of money on it, and then have to use ur primary storage for items and its full yeah...

It comes to a point where you just have to quit I miss Arche Age so much though but it needs changes.

This is one thing Black Desert Online gets right 300 storage spaces per city, costumes are stored in pearl storage, why can't XL Games learn from this?
  • FrammshammFrammshamm Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Even without p2w, the game is a 100% chore. Farming seeds one at a time on 5 farms is like working a 60hr workweek. Its mind numbing. The daily grinding of the same shit over and over is tedious at best. In a game where spontaneity was supposed to rule, end game rather becomes wrist cuttingly predictable.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Even without p2w, the game is a 100% chore. Farming seeds one at a time on 5 farms is like working a 60hr workweek. Its mind numbing. The daily grinding of the same shit over and over is tedious at best. In a game where spontaneity was supposed to rule, end game rather becomes wrist cuttingly predictable.
    I had like 20+ 24x24 farms + 1 of every trree house, and castle, Fellowship, and multiple thatched...

I know what it was like.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Well part of that is the methods you used for money making. Single planting is really designed for people with tons of spare time. Bundle planting makes it significantly easier, farmers houses make it even easier, and some professions are just way less time consuming than farming is altogether. 

But I think the root issue is people feel like they need to be making money constantly when logged in to AA because for the first few months of gameplay (Or longer) you're at a point where if you show up at a world event and try to do the fun stuff someone 7-9k gearscore punk will god's whip / overwhelm / whatever and you'll be dead before you get a chance to do much of anything.

So really all you have to do for those first few months is farm because you are essentially cut off from being able to enjoy the PvP portions of the game.

If they could actually shrink the gear gap to the point you feel like you are making an impact and having a bit of fun then you could break up the potato farming with attending world events, hanging out on the ocean with guildies etc. (And have that actually be fun.)

For me personally the first couple weeks of the last fresh start was the most fun I have ever had in AA, and using what I learned during that time I'm actually pretty confident that on this next iteration I can stay toward the top of the pack with minimal swiping. But that's still sad. You have the opportunity to get into this game and actually enjoy it like once a year. Any other time and prepare to get kicked around for months before you actually get to have any fun in PvP.