Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Milestones Discussion

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    TalulaRose said:
      According the CR SC is in early access. Alpha is done, skipped beta and strait to early access. What you see is what you get, its basically basic. You can pay for the rest later.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_access

"Early access, early funding, alpha-access or paid-alpha is a funding model in the computer game industry by which consumers can pay for a game in the early stages of development and obtain access to the unfinished game."

Your version: Early Access means a stage that comes after alpha, beta and is the released game.

SC 3.0 stated early access stands the game under the Alpha stage of development, not a released game.
    ErillionExcessionZandog
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Only issue I can see happening is alot of people do think that early access generally means a game is very close to release.

You only have to read the comments on some games that have dragged out early access for 6 months or more (some have been measured in years) to see that people were expecting a fairly imminent release.

The game in it's current release form (personally I'd say it's pre alpha to alpha atm) looks ok, but plays badly, the jesus patch aka the much delayed v3.0 might address alot of those issues and make it more attractive, and touting it as early access before v3.0 is released could damage people's opinions.

Whats becoming increasing self evident is that CIG needs money, possibly lots of money in order to finish Star Citizen and Squadron 42. We've all seen the crazy estimates of the cash burn that CIG is doing, even being conservative about the numbers they will be spending alot of money to maintain development across all their studios.

There's no magic bullet thats going to make the game come out any sooner, personally I'd just like them to double down, quit with trying to milk people of more cash and just get the game finished, they have had more than enough money already to do this.
    rpmcmurphyExcessionKefo
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
    edited September 2017
    Only issue I can see happening is alot of people do think that early access generally means a game is very close to release.

You only have to read the comments on some games that have dragged out early access for 6 months or more (some have been measured in years) to see that people were expecting a fairly imminent release.
    End of day nothing changes, early access can be both a 2 weeks beta before the release or an alpha still years from release.

Meant as 3.0 makes SC reach a stage in development that people would often call early access, where a proper game loop starts to exist. Your pre-alpha to alpha analogy would be quite correct in this case.
    ExcessionZandog
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    edited September 2017
    MaxBacon said:

End of day nothing changes, early access can be both a 2 weeks beta before the release or an alpha still years from release.

Meant as 3.0 makes SC reach a stage in development that people would often call early access, where a proper game loop starts to exist. Your pre-alpha to alpha analogy would be quite correct in this case.
    Early access means the game is pretty much ready to go for retail.

Unless you are trying to redefine what that means so you can ship an unfinished product. Which is what is happening in the MMORPG industry for the last few years. (now you have testing, and early access to test the game that they sell you.......really defending this.)

Not gonna get into this redefining of words the many SC apologists like to do.

As per the man himself....SC is basically done, its basically basic. Everything else will happen later....maybe.....I believe he made reference to expansions, you know the thing that released games do after launch.

Let us not forget this.......

released he says:

"And, we’ll have what we determine is a minimum viable product feature list for what you would call Star Citizen the commercial release which is basically when you say, “Okay, we’ve gotten to this point and we’ve still got plans to add a lot more cool stuff and more content and more functionality and more features…”

MaxBaconExcessionZandog
    edited September 2017

What the hell are you on about?

I don't have to redefine what early access means, it's plainly visible on early access games all over, they go from betas weeks away from a release, to alphas years away from a release.

It's not implicative of how close to release and how finished a game is. SC stands its alpha development phase with the mentioned early access on 3.0, not a released game. Unlike your baseless statement that the game is skipping alpha and beta....
    ExcessionZandog
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    MaxBacon said:

What the hell are you on about?

I don't have to redefine what early access means, it's plainly visible on early access games all over, they go from betas weeks away from a release, to alphas years away from a release.

It's not implicative of how close to release and how finished a game is. SC stands its alpha development stage with stated early access on 3.0, not a released game. Unlike your baseless statement that the game is skipping alpha and beta....
    Anytime I have bought a game in early access I was playing the launched finished product in a week.

Sorry but my real life experience tells me what you are saying is least viably true.
    Zandogaliven
    edited September 2017
    Anytime I have bought a game in early access I was playing the launched finished product in a week.

Sorry but my real life experience tells me what you are saying is least viably true.
    Now that's something I never thought I would hear.

I think you are confusing the early access talked here for something else, like head starts and beta tests games like MMO's do very shortly before release. I don't see other reason for you to consider early access to be beyond the alpha and beta stage of a game.

In proper Early Access, you'll see more often years than months/weeks, cases like Don't Starve, a game that took from 2012 to 2016 in early access until it launched; Prison Architect 2013 to 2015; Unturned 2014 to 2017; Minecraft itself; Subnautica 2014 planned to release this year; this is the early access we're talking about on SC, under alpha, not the beta test imminent release type.
    ExcessionErillionZandog
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Early access is an almost finished game.

Now that's something you dont  read everyday
    ExcessionZandogaliven
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2017

Yes, THAT definition of early access may be true for the games YOU bought. For YOUR personal real life experience it may be true.

BUT there are other games, games that you have NOT bought. Some of those games have spent YEARS in Early Access.

As you can see, different people mean different things when they speak about Early Access. It does NOT necessarily mean that in general people will play a finished product within a week.

Have fun

PS:
    It sounds to me like you have mostly played pre-release late-stage Beta tests, maybe even without final server wipe before the game itself officially launched.

Zandog
  • RingLdr77RingLdr77 Member CommonPosts: 8
    What is this 'done in a week' non-sense? Early access is anything from 3 months to 3 years from being done.
    JamesGoblin
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Sounds like he's talking about pre-launch early access.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Early access doesn't mean much on it's own.  It's used by many devs to make money but also avoid reviews for VERY long periods of time.
    JamesGoblin
    eLe Funding Still Going Strong.

160$Millions   ;)
    JamesGoblin
    Star Citizen backers have passed  the 160 million dollar mark.  (160,328,654 $).

Number of "Star Citizens" is currently at          1,884,908

(up from     1,874,834  ... + 10074 since the 159 million mark)

Number of "UEE Fleet":                                     1,399,923

(up from        1,378,267   ....  + 21656 since the 159 million mark)

Noteworthy was the introduction of the Origin X1 open-canopy racer.

Have fun

JamesGoblin
    Star Citizen backers have passed  the 161 million dollar mark.  (161,005,443 $).

Number of "Star Citizens" is currently at          1,890,868

(up from     1,884,908 ... + 5960 since the 160 million mark)

Number of "UEE Fleet":                                     1,407,127

(up from        1,399,923   ....  + 7204 since the 160 million mark)

Noteworthy was the Alpha 3.0 build being sent to the PTU. The first wave - the Evocati team - our trusted Avocados - are trying to break everything that is breakable.

Have fun

Babuinix
    edited October 2017

Star Citizen backers have passed  the 162 million dollar mark.

E'LE Pioneer ship sale saving CIG from eminent doom once again.

"
    Don't worry about this. It makes the end resulting rage all that more hilarious. It's gonna be great. "

:'( :D
  • wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Star Citizen backers have passed  the 162 million dollar mark.
     and yet  non of the promised  games are out yet   BUT MY  ship has been re done  for the 4 or 5 time  ummm  i  want my  ship i bought  not this crap  they re  done and re done and re done 

moo all

• wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    edited October 2017
    wierd double post  please delete second  thanks 

moo all

edited October 2017
    As mentioned we are past 162 M$ and running close to 163 M$.

Star Citizen backers have passed  the 162 million dollar mark.  (162,664,025 $).

Number of "Star Citizens" is currently at          1,895,945

(up from     1,890,868 ... + 5077 since the 161 million mark)

Number of "UEE Fleet":                                     1,408,985

(up from        1,407,127   ....  + 1858 since the 161 million mark)

Noteworthy was the introduction of the civilian capital ship "Pioneer". It is a base building construction ship to drop down (planetary) bases.

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
    edited October 2017
    Star Citizen backers have passed  the 163 million dollar mark.  (163,046,114 $).

Number of "Star Citizens" is currently at          1,896,615

(up from     1,895,945 ... + 670 since the 162,66 million mark)

Number of "UEE Fleet":                                     1,409,198

(up from        1,408,985   ....  + 213 since the 162,66 million mark)

Noteworthy was the Citizen Convention 2017 in Frankfurt, with a plethora of in depth looks at the tech behind SC, especially planetary procedural generation (including planet wide cities ... down to the room level).

Have fun

Octagon7711
    Jeeezz. That was fast. eLe postponed guys.  2 weeks, 90 days, 3 years. :D
  • ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    they got a funding cash cow on their hands which is why the game will never be finished
    Scolioz said:
    they got a funding cash cow on their hands which is why the game will never be finished
    Have you ever talked personally to any of the devs?

If no .... they are more eager to see this finished and to show us their work than we backers are.

Have fun

Star Citizen backers have passed  the 164 million dollar mark.  (164,005,100 $).

Number of "Star Citizens" is currently at           1,907,822

(up from     1,896,615  ... + 11,207 since the 163 million mark)

Number of "UEE Fleet":                                      1,415,367            

(up from        1,409,198   ....  + 6169 since the 163 million mark)

Noteworthy was the information about how to get, use and defend a plot of land in Star Citizen.

Have fun

What the gentleman above said,

ElE Postponed, again.