Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't you still play Wildstar?

AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
I find myself passing by this title a bit more often recently since the honeymoon effect of SB for FFXIV has already worn off and WoW (to me) is just a title I use to buy other blizzard products whether I want them or not since I dont really have anything better to play imo. I suppose the main reason I never really invested much time into WS is because it feels like the game will kill over at anytime which didn't help me thinking this after Carbine confirmed working on another title. Over the years, the team has greatly declined in terms of size, so its logical to think that both titles can't be worked on well without bringing in a substantial amount of people to work on both, which of course requires a lot of money. Its possible (but doubtful) that a mass resurgence in the game's population can change this, which leads me to wonder why everyone else doesn't come together and potentially try? Thoughts?

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I disliked only one thing in Wild* the combat system. I hated it because it made healing a nightmare and I loved playing healers.
    PhryOctagon7711Kyleran

• jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Wildstar is already on like its 3rd life.  Unfortunately when it first launched it was not smooth.  Then the F2P launch went horrendous I think it took a couple weeks for the servers to be sorted out.  When a game is already in trouble you can not afford to have those kinds of problems.  Steam breathed some new life into the game, but I think it is dwindling down.  Not much left for Carbine to do with it at this point. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Pretty much what @kitarad said, I mostly play healers and the three healers in Wildstar were all, kind of, hectic. (maybe not the best word).
    I still used to log in from time to time, exploration and jumping puzzles are great and the housing system is awesome. But I rarely do group content anymore, and when do, I mostly just dps...
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    It has everything i dislike in WoW plus inferior combat system. I really don't see any reason to go back.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    For me its just like other modern mmo's. Its fun at first then it becomes boring with gimmicky crap and really bad communities.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    This wow was everything a AAA mmorpg should have, 4 years ago. It never built enough traction to get a solid enough user base that would ensure people would stick around. It doesnt matter how fun an MMO is or how well polished if its empty. Wild* is empty and nobody likes playing an empty game.
    Octagon7711
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    ianicus said:
    This wow was everything a AAA mmorpg should have, 4 years ago. It never built enough traction to get a solid enough user base that would ensure people would stick around. It doesnt matter how fun an MMO is or how well polished if its empty. Wild* is empty and nobody likes playing an empty game.
    Except the reason it was empty to begin with, was because it just didn't have enough 'fun' features to keep people interested, people didn't like the combat system, some didn't like the art style, others didn't like the cliche humour, or any combination of those things or all of them. People just don't stay with a game these days if it isn't fun enough, there are so many choices that players aren't forced to just 'stick' with any old game anymore. :/
    psychosiz1HatefullOctagon7711
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Phry said:
    ianicus said:
    Except the reason it was empty to begin with, was because it just didn't have enough 'fun' features to keep people interested, people didn't like the combat system, some didn't like the art style, others didn't like the cliche humour, or any combination of those things or all of them. People just don't stay with a game these days if it isn't fun enough, there are so many choices that players aren't forced to just 'stick' with any old game anymore. :/
    this game is a wow clone minus the telegraphs, I believe it simply came too late to the party.
    HatefullOctagon7711
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    First time I left was because I hit the hardcore endgame wall and had nothing that I could do except level alts.

I came back (F2P) after they "fixed" endgame with dailies. That was OK for a couple months, but you can only run around the same zone killing the same boss mobs for so long before it gets boring.

They've had a couple updates since then, but I haven't bothered to look at them. 
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I played for a few weeks and figured out I liked many other games better.  With time being an issue for me, I felt my time was better spent in other games I like more.  The repetition of this game was a huge tgurn off for me, there was nothing that kept it fresh or made me want to make alts.
    sumdumguy1
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    It felt like a slot machine to me. In short bursts it wasn't bad. As a long-term MMO though, no thanks. It was sensory overload.

The combat was twitchy with a large amount of hazards, even on trash mobs. Felt like I couldn't take a breath. The colors were really vibrant and something was always flashing. There was no safe place to rest your eyes. Then you would get an announcer yelling things at you constantly. Also, optimization was some of the worst I have experienced in a game. The UI took up an insane amount of resources all on its own.

Those were my issues. It has some great qualities as well but not enough to outweigh the negatives.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Simple answer is there is no new content coming in the future other than prime versions (difficulty levels) of the existing content. Genetic Archives gets it's first next month. But there's nothing new about these except increased health and damage. 

No devs left save for the QA team and asset artists.

For all it's faults of an unstable dev team it had potential. But without the roll out of actual new content, not worth the time. It may survive a while on a steady flux of people wanting to try it but eventually the same old stuff will dull everyone out until it dies on its own. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I love when people throw "WoW clone" out there. It tells me they have no real first-hand experience with the game being discussed.

More to the point of answering OP's question, it just did not grab me. It felt like a race to the end so I could raid. I need a bit more exploration and a little less on the rails.

I sort of feel like it could have been a better effort, the resources could have been better spent on making another iteration of Lineage (imo) which I realize was already being done or at least planned at the point WS was released, but to me it was just another game the genre didn't need and very few wanted.
    [Deleted User]dcutbi001

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    edited July 2017
    the combat system wasn't for me..  it made the classes feel very boring and all the telegraphs made the gameplay ugly.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    I agree the problem for me was the combat didn't feel intuitive.  It felt like work for work's sake and needed to be smoothed out.  Love the classes, the theme, the humor, but it wasn't enough to overcome the combat which is most of the game.  I've returned after each major update to see if I could like it but no joy.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    The game went F2P, I downloaded and installed it. Logged in and somewhere in the starter zone, I decided I couldn't log out of the game fast enough. This thing had absolutely nothing to hold me to it. Nothing.
    I've enjoyed most of the themeparks. WoW, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, 
    But this game? I can't even tell you exactly what it was, but from the word go, I disliked every experience (Albeit, there weren't that many) I had in it.

The time it took to download and install was longer than the time that it lasted on my hard drive including play time.
    Distopia
  • AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63
    edited August 2017
    It is the only game I have tried in the last 3 years that my computer cannot play at more than 10 fps.

^.^'

• routesmanroutesman Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I played at launch and I'll admit I left because the class I was playing (stalkers) got hit with the nerf bat early and HARD.  I was so excited at the idea of playing an evasion/stealthy tank and then having the class nerfed so hard so early was upsetting.  Now, I realize that many people felt stalkers were overpowered, but I felt like the nerf bat was applied a bit too early and hard.  People were still learning the game, so there were player level skill considerations that didn't enter into the equation.  I'm sure I sound like a bitter player, but I just felt like it wasn't something you do that early in a game.

I was considering a return and then it went free to play and I immediately decided against returning.  Very rarely does f2p turn out into something I want to play as it quickly turns into pay to win.  With pay to play games (GW model), I don't see that issue pop up as often.  But f2p turns into a p2w cash grab most of the time.

Wildstar had potential.  It have a unique combat style with the telegraphs, each of the classes felt like they had some identity.  It looked like instances and raids were going to be difficult and require team work to do (never got that far so I can't speak from personal experience).

Its a lot of things.  But the f2p change immediately made me lose my interest moreso than anything else.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Albatroes said:
    I find myself passing by this title a bit more often recently since the honeymoon effect of SB for FFXIV has already worn off and WoW (to me) is just a title I use to buy other blizzard products whether I want them or not since I dont really have anything better to play imo. I suppose the main reason I never really invested much time into WS is because it feels like the game will kill over at anytime which didn't help me thinking this after Carbine confirmed working on another title. Over the years, the team has greatly declined in terms of size, so its logical to think that both titles can't be worked on well without bringing in a substantial amount of people to work on both, which of course requires a lot of money. Its possible (but doubtful) that a mass resurgence in the game's population can change this, which leads me to wonder why everyone else doesn't come together and potentially try? Thoughts?

The reason I don't play is because I knew one day you would ask this question.  If you hadn't asked it, I would be playing right now.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I got into the beta and was playing and having some fun.  I really enjoyed the humor they put in but after a while I felt like I had done all this stuff before.  The game felt like I was playing a re-skinned version of WoW.  I left the beta after posting my thoughts on the official forums and later picked up the game on sale before it went F2P but I still could not get into it.  I wanted to like it, I was ok with the graphics and I liked the humor but I am just getting too old for "go kill 10 of these" types of quests.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    It's mind blowing that Wildstar is still running yet City of Heroes is not.
    gunklackerdcutbi001

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Nightshade98Nightshade98 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Every time I have tried to check it out again, the community seems simply dead. Feels a bit like Vanguard or many other MMO's with not much left to give, I don't see housing bringing in new waves of people, especially with all the titles slated to release in coming years.
  • Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Because no one else played it when I quit, I think it was close to a year after launch, and that has left a bad taste in my mouth with the game.  I wouldn't go back.
  • Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Because I have no one to play with. I can stomach the horrible, endless questing, and I can even stomach the telegraph spam to where all you do is stare at the ground, but what I can't stomach is playing a game for hours on end by myself.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Better games to play.  I did play for a bit but quickly lost interest and found many other games I liked better.   It was also very hard for me to get into the game's graphical presentation.  This wasn't a bad game, just not the game for me.