Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you won the lottery . . .

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Hello, 

If you guys won a 1 billion straight cash (after all taxes taken out and whatever) what would you do? Would you keep it all? Build a video game company? What would you do?

Basically, if I won 1 billion in straight cash (US dollars), I'd see about buying an american NFL football franchise (despite the fact they are all in the billions for value). I'd see if i can buy a 51% share into one. Then i'd treat it like my own game and do with the team what I want. 

Or . . . the reality is, i'd probably give away hundreds of millions but then I'd either establish a videogame company or see If I can buy one. Perhaps, Ubisoft, Zenimax, Bethesda, maybe CCP. I'd see what I can do with their games with a ton of cash flow. 

I detest mobile games as shallow addicting money grabs, so it would likely be PC only. I'd probably try to make the best MMO ever. But it would be a totally unique experience. Well, i'd also get the Star Wars IP if they'd allow it and make it a starwars game like a cross between a sandbox on the planet and EVE. 

I'd also invest in making a TV series based in the Star Wars IP, but I doubt Disney would allow that. If they don't, I'd sponsor a TV show with GoT budget but in a different book series. Perhaps, Forgotten Realms, wheel of time (even though I hated the books) or something else. 

The likely conclusion is that I'd lose hundreds of millions of dollars, but it would still be fun. I enjoy life as it is, I don't really need a billion dollars, so if I lost 99.5% of it, I wouldn't really care because the 5 million after it, is enough to make me happy. 

So what would you do? Thanks for listening.  . . .

Sincerely, 

Cryomatrix

PS: I also made this thread because I couldn't possibly care less about the true definition of an MMO, I don't even see why any person cares, just play the game if you like it or not. Leave definitions to semantic blowhards in the academic world. 

PS: I don't think GoT is the best series ever, I think it has 2 things that are unique that I don't know why other sci-fi shows don't follow.

A) 1st unique thing is the huge budget. 
B) 2nd unique thing is that there is no clear line of delineation between good and evil. There are only two polarizing figures and everyone else is somewhere in between. 

I just hate books in which the evil side is clear and the good side is clear. The reality is that both sides are always the "good side" as they see themselves. They always see the other side as "evil". 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
Tsiya

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    My strategy, should I ever come into large amounts of money, is:
    • Spend 25% - house, cars, holidays etc
    • Save 25% - in case I fuck up, would be nice to have some decent cash in reserve
    • Invest 50%
    Whilst designing an MMO is my dream job, it's still a job so I think if I won $1b I probably wouldn't be arsed about doing it. There are so many other things I want to do in life that I would suddenly be able to do with that much money.

That said, I've got $0.5b to invest and some of that I would be buying businesses with. I would definitely be tempted to invest or buy a company like CSE and get them to experiment with some mechanics I've been designing (aura-based tanking with collision detection and group formations). I wouldn't want to interfere with existing projects and I wouldn't take a lead in the new project - whilst I'm a developer and a project manager, I wouldn't presume to tell the experts how to do their job - but I would definitely be an irritating backseat driver!
    Eronakis
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Retire and live life to the full.
    PhryAsm0deus
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    I would buy CIG and SC and save PC Gaming. :)
    Excession
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    And this is why most people who win the lottery go bankrupt within a year...

You'd be surprised how easy it is to blow through that amount of money... hell, my parents went through a million dollars in medical expenses alone in one year.

We live in a world in which a trillion dollars is now considered a lot of money, not billions.  By the time some of our kids retire, a trillion will be worth what a million is today... not much.

GdemamiAsm0deus
  • forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    @btdt I blame gold sellers
    Gdemami
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    to be honest, i wouldnt know what to do, other than probably panic
    SovrathExcession
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited September 2017
    btdt said:
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    And this is why most people who win the lottery go bankrupt within a year...

You'd be surprised how easy it is to blow through that amount of money... hell, my parents went through a million dollars in medical expenses alone in one year.

We live in a world in which a trillion dollars is now considered a lot of money, not billions.  By the time some of our kids retire, a trillion will be worth what a million is today... not much.

hmmm, with a billion dollars you could put it in a fund and live off the interest.

You can also do that with a LOT less. Looking it up, the median household income in the U.S. was just over 55K in 2016.

Of course it depends on where you live but with several million + and living off the interest one would make much more than that.

Just make sure you have good insurance as well as long term care insurance once you reach your 50's.

I strongly suspect that "not retiring" will not yield anything even close to a billion for most people.

and for "most" people, (especially because they don't save a lot) they might not even break a million over their lives (

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    to be honest, i wouldnt know what to do, other than probably panic
    DMKano said:
    I would invest all of it to energy and AI reasearch. 

Heck maybe just invest in Tesla heavily and call it a day.

Put the money towards something that would benefit all by %0.000000001 than me personally, because I dont need money as my life is perfectly comforable as is.

More money would just ruin what I have now, why fuck up a good thing?
    I am kind of the same.

First, I would be in shock at actually winning.

Then, I would have no clue what to actually spend it on.

House is paid for, car is paid for, only work part time (self employed) as we do not really need the cash.

So I would probably end up investing in something to do with future tech, just for shits and giggles.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I'd give Karl Urban enough money to make Dredd 2.
    [Deleted User]cameltosisSovrathXarkoTalonsinOctagon7711Phry
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited September 2017
    I know what wouldn't do...build a video game company.

I live on a somewhat rural island. I would start buying up the property around me. Turn my 7 1/2 acres into a lot more.
    Post edited by postlarval on

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I'd spend it... all. You can't take it with you so no point trying.

First purchase would be a nice house somewhere here in north east USA, nothing crazy just something with some woodlands and a huge garage for my:

Bugatti Chiron
    Koenigsegg Agera RS
    Pagani Huayra BC 

Id spend my time driving through and exploring the most diverse and beautiful country in the world, USA (obviously that's my personal opinion).

The only charities I'd donate to are animal rescue and care facilities here and internationally.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

L U N C H !!!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    DMKano said:
    I would invest all of it to energy and AI reasearch. 

Heck maybe just invest in Tesla heavily and call it a day.

Put the money towards something that would benefit all by %0.000000001 than me personally, because I dont need money as my life is perfectly comforable as is.

More money would just ruin what I have now, why fuck up a good thing?
    I bought a Tesla car. It is bloody amazing car . . . but I can barely afford it :(. Now since I work 5 minutes away from home mainly, it sits in my garage costing me $40 a day :(

I don't believe in retiring, my hope is that my death and retirement will be simultaneous (which would happen if I die young), but the hope is to make it the 80's before I hope to die. Oh well, 44 more years to go. 

My principle with the 1 billion is that i'd make sure to keep like 10ish million that I don't touch, maybe invest 50 m personally, then give away or blow the rest. I do think winning that much would have a chance at making life not that much fun. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I'd go with the retire and live to the fullest, for the most part.

Before that, I'd get some medical problems fixed that limit my gaming.

Once settled in to my new comfy life, I'd probably then use money to commission useful and interesting open souce projects. Instead of the usual "gee I wish program X had this feature, whine whine." I'd be able to contact the author and say, "If you add this feature, I will pay you this much."  Or I could go on various (Linux) forums and say things like "I'd like someone to write a <insert game name here> clone native to Linux.  I will pay this much."
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'd become a Reality TV Star ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:
    I'd probably move to Craggy Island and become a priest. :smirk: 
    I'd move in into the loft above. 
    Phry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    I'd probably move to Craggy Island and become a priest. :smirk: 
    I'd move in into the loft above. 
    Let's hope Father Jack isn't in the loft. :lol:
    Thank you for putting that image in my head. 
    [Deleted User]

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Id pay whatever it takes for Suzie Ford's sexual services, 3 times a week, for as long as the money lasts.
    AbimorAzaron_Nightbladecameltosis
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Hire an investment company that manages lottery winners assets.  Move. Get a private number.  Hire someone to take my calls and screen my emails.  Don't take investment opportunities from strangers or relatives.  Buy gadgets. 
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited September 2017
    Upgrade my PC to a NASA system, look down on all the peasants with crappy 1k to even maybe 10k PCs (seen an alienware for taht much lol) and I can go "wow your 10k dollar PC is crap compared to mine, mines a NASA computer"

Phry

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Hire an investment company that manages lottery winners assets.  Move. Get a private number.  Hire someone to take my calls and screen my emails.  Don't take investment opportunities from strangers or relatives.  Buy gadgets. 
    You're loads of fun mate. 
    Octagon7711

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'd fly around the world (in my private jet)... walk the streets... and....

Hey you! This is your lucky day ;)
    [Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736
    edited September 2017
    Buy and own lots of rental properties then live exceedingly comfortably.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    You're loads of fun mate. 
    I'm probably pretty close.

I'd buy my loft in Cambridge (MA), but before I did anything I'd hire a lawyer and and set up a Foundation. I would have to do this because in MA you have to give your name for any lottery winnings. In order to still be anonymous you can put it in a Foundation and be the manager of it and still be anonymous.

Then a new Classical Guitar, new Harp, and essentially live off the interest, travel, and just enjoy life.

I wouldn't hire anyone for calls and the like.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Get a lawyer and see if it's possible to prevent anyone from knowing that I've won the lottery.  The laws commonly say that it isn't, and if not, then try to negotiate some way to give the money to charity without anyone finding out that I was the source.  Failing that, seriously consider burning the winning lottery ticket.

The thing that you have to understand about lottery winnings is that they're basically cursed.  If you win the lottery, you'll have fourth cousins twice removed that you didn't even know you had and probably don't coming out of the woodwork asking for money.  Friends, relatives, co-workers, and random hangers-on will constantly beg you for money, at all hours of the day and no matter where you go.  You'll get suicide threats and all manner of sob stories to try to get money out of you.  It will not stop until you die, even if the money runs out first.

And why shouldn't they beg?  After all, you've established yourself as someone with a ton of money and no clue how to manage it.  You demonstrated the latter by playing the lottery in the first place and the former by having the misfortune of winning it.  The only way to truly win the lottery is not to play.
    GorweOctagon7711Allerleirauh[Deleted User]Azaron_NightbladeGdemamicheyane