Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-combat possibilities?

ragemeterragemeter Member UncommonPosts: 6
Is it possible to be purely a crafter or a merchant, with no combat involved with mobs or players?

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Yes but it would be extremely hard because gathering in black zones (pvp zones) you will get ganked a lot, also gathering near any enemies that agro would cause you issues. 
  • ragemeterragemeter Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Yes but it would be extremely hard because gathering in black zones (pvp zones) you will get ganked a lot, also gathering near any enemies that agro would cause you issues. 
    Okay, thanks.

I guess this was the case in UO too, would sometime get owned by ents when taming bears :smiley:

In SWG however didn't really have to worry about combat when I went all in crafting.
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    The real answer is no.

The game is an Open Ended Territorial Conquest game, the crafting and trading is there to serve as means for combat.

Also you should know that the game's terrain is setup much like EVE. The starting areas are no PvP up to Tier 4 resources, then gradually better materials and resources push you in to PvP areas.

With Tier 6 and 8 materials existing in a complete FFA no consequence Area. It is not like UO even it is worse, because there is no notion of Reputation in 3/4th of the terrain, called Outalnds. People can freely attack you and lot you without any consequence for that action to themselves. You are fair game..and it is like that Dystopian like EVE..

Not much trading there..unless you like to suffer in a game. Everyone follows a KoS mentality..juts because they can..

So you will not have the more sensible kind of society we had in UO where you had Murderers (Red) Innocents and Anti Murderers. In Albion outside the Royal Continent it is total anarchy..like EVE..but without all the of EVE's systems, such as Huge space to avoid  or clocking.

Albion is a zone based map Zones are small and have predefined nodes exists. So you have to go form there no other way. Serve as Choke points. Plus in EVE your skill progression is not tied to use. Like you can learn to mine arkonor and process it without having to mine it. So in EVE it has worked more or less all these years..(albe it it never broke any sub records it is niche)

Albion, on the other hand, skill system is use based, you have to mine the nodes to raise your mining skill, which means you have to go mine in Anarchy if you want to raise your skill.

I think it is badly setup. Their idea is that you will join an Alliance aor Guild that will fight for the terrain to get access to higher resources and materials...it is not working as intended. All of the outlands are dominated by Beta Guilds and alliances which already hold them and will not relinquish (of course) having invested much money (real cash too) and also being able to wage long attrition wars to any new alliance and guild that may want to challenge them..

The game is still new however, and I am giving it a couple of months..lets see how it evolves before definitely deciding to stay or change game.

The similarity to UO ends at top down isometric view. Nothing else is similar to UO, do not be fooled by the "Sandbox" marketing.
    Satanikzd_20BlueProteus
    - Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • ragemeterragemeter Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Suraknar said:
    The real answer is no.

The similarity to UO ends at top down isometric view. Nothing else is similar to UO, do not be fooled by the "Sandbox" marketing.
    Damn good answer, gave me enough info to make my decision of trying this.

Thanks man.
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    ragemeter said:
    Suraknar said:
    The real answer is no.

Damn good answer, gave me enough info to make my decision of trying this.

Thanks man.
    Glad to help.

Choose one of the packages. I am being critical of the game because it has potential and I am hoping it will steer itself to a better place.

Also because I have a beef a bit against the latest trends of the industry to call all games Sandbox when they are not as a marketing ploy so I try to be as much informative as possible.

There is appeal to it nevertheless, except the Dystopian setup of the outlands, for this type of game. I mean for EVE it may work because it is Space it is empty huge space and no one can hear you there etc. But for a medieval styled Fantasy type land based game..to have this setup is counter intuitive to the human experience and history...other than that, game has a good based and I am holding hope that it will improve.

On the get go though the rumor is that the game launched with 250k subs and now it is down to about 50k... so many people quit within 2 months..most did not renew after the first one.

Still, it is a small landscape and maybe this number of people makes it more enjoyable.

The future will tell.

Cheers!

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • SatanikzSatanikz Member CommonPosts: 20
    Suraknar said:
    The real answer is no.

The game is an Open Ended Territorial Conquest game, the crafting and trading is there to serve as means for combat.

Also you should know that the game's terrain is setup much like EVE. The starting areas are no PvP up to Tier 4 resources, then gradually better materials and resources push you in to PvP areas.

With Tier 6 and 8 materials existing in a complete FFA no consequence Area. It is not like UO even it is worse, because there is no notion of Reputation in 3/4th of the terrain, called Outalnds. People can freely attack you and lot you without any consequence for that action to themselves. You are fair game..and it is like that Dystopian like EVE..

Not much trading there..unless you like to suffer in a game. Everyone follows a KoS mentality..juts because they can..

So you will not have the more sensible kind of society we had in UO where you had Murderers (Red) Innocents and Anti Murderers. In Albion outside the Royal Continent it is total anarchy..like EVE..but without all the of EVE's systems, such as Huge space to avoid  or clocking.

Albion is a zone based map Zones are small and have predefined nodes exists. So you have to go form there no other way. Serve as Choke points. Plus in EVE your skill progression is not tied to use. Like you can learn to mine arkonor and process it without having to mine it. So in EVE it has worked more or less all these years..(albe it it never broke any sub records it is niche)

Albion, on the other hand, skill system is use based, you have to mine the nodes to raise your mining skill, which means you have to go mine in Anarchy if you want to raise your skill.

I think it is badly setup. Their idea is that you will join an Alliance aor Guild that will fight for the terrain to get access to higher resources and materials...it is not working as intended. All of the outlands are dominated by Beta Guilds and alliances which already hold them and will not relinquish (of course) having invested much money (real cash too) and also being able to wage long attrition wars to any new alliance and guild that may want to challenge them..

The game is still new however, and I am giving it a couple of months..lets see how it evolves before definitely deciding to stay or change game.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I'm up to T6 gathering and I don't do combat.  I've gotten ganked a few times but mostly left alone due to my positive alignment.  Also you can just sit in carleon, get your resources from the market hosue and craft/trade that way.  Can also sell goods to the black market there.  Basically, you don't have to gather your own stuff.