Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1.2M Concurrent Players & Low Physical Box Sales - Destiny 2 News

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Took me and my crappy ISP 2.5 days to download the digital PS4 edition. 

I would buy disc, but Multi-gigabyte sized Day 0 patches that are typical today mean even with a disc I'm stuck with a crappy download.

Honestly, the reason I prefer digital on the console is so I don't have to get up and change discs out. I am that lazy.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus
  • NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135

MaxBacon said:

The moment Destiny 2 achieves more concurrent players online than I think any MMO ever did.

World of Tanks claims 1.1 million concurrent, I have no idea if WoW actually peaked higher than that, they never disclose the numbers.

Of course this is not a small number but I don't think it is something exeptional. Valve's CSGO and Dota2 do 700k to 1mill concurrent players on a daily basis, now for years after their releases. Destiny2 just came out, majority of the owners play their new game. Plus I would be surprised if WoW didn't surpass that number around WOTLK and Cata releases.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Nikaas said:

MaxBacon said:

The moment Destiny 2 achieves more concurrent players online than I think any MMO ever did.

World of Tanks claims 1.1 million concurrent, I have no idea if WoW actually peaked higher than that, they never disclose the numbers.

Of course this is not a small number but I don't think it is something exeptional. Valve's CSGO and Dota2 do 700k to 1mill concurrent players on a daily basis, now for years after their releases. Destiny2 just came out, majority of the owners play their new game. Plus I would be surprised if WoW didn't surpass that number around WOTLK and Cata releases.
    Makes you wonder what the split is, seeing as the 1.2m is the overall total i doubt its 50/50, but given console percentages the proportions are most likely 60/40 PS4/Xbox  though it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was 800k/400k  Sony/MS split assuming the servers are seperate which for MS and Sony is usually the case. I fully expect the PC figures when the game eventually launches on PC to be even higher still :p
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Nikaas said:

MaxBacon said:

I would be surprised if WoW ever reached those heights of concurrent users. 

Games like CSGO, DotA2 and LoL have a player base that is exceedingly large (100m+ for LoL), so to achieve 1m concurrent users they only need 1% of their playerbase to be online at the same time. 

For WoW, peaking at 12m players around the world, they would need 10% of their playerbase online at the same time to reach D2 numbers. They might have achieved it shortly after the launch of an expansion, but given the split around the world of their playerbase I would be surprised if they got there.