Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'v3.0 is Moving into a Phase Akin to Early Access' - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

image'v3.0 is Moving into a Phase Akin to Early Access' - Star Citizen - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen News - In an extensive interview at Eurogamer, Star Citizen's Chris Roberts likens the v3.0 version of the game to being roughly equivalent to Early Access as it is defined by other games. He further speaks about some of the features players will find in 3.0 including character, ship and item persistence, basic AI and more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Before the fighting starts - remember, Early Access doesn't mean complete. It's still going to be a rough ride.
    ConstantineMerusJamesGoblinHeraseMaxBaconrpmcmurphyLeFantome[Deleted User]AsheramBabuinixRolanStorm

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Before the fighting starts - remember, Early Access doesn't mean complete. It's still going to be a rough ride.
    Like you could stop people fighting in this thread.  :) The war has already begun. 
    JamesGoblinBillMurphylaxieSBFordrpmcmurphy[Deleted User]Asheram
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Prepare your poopers people.
    ExcessionSBFordrpmcmurphykikoodutroa8
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If you want to look at a role model for crowdfunding you should look at board game developers that release their products close to their estimated release date and not video game projects that run years late.
    ExcessionlaxieJeroKane
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    "Akin to early access"

Priceless.
    beebop500FlyByKnightMadFrenchieAgent_Joseph

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    I have no interest in the game but I keep seeing articles about it. When it is going to be out so all the people who invested money into it can start playing?
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I like the golf club or antique car analogy. Funny he did not mention the resale value of those items compared to his video game. I can not really fault him, I would be ok with people spending thousands of dollars for stuff I created.
    rpmcmurphy
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Was just reading they are asking for another 87 million to finish it.   Good luck with that.
    Rhygarth
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

We will behave. just remember that whenever they say they are not doing any more wipes, we would like to see a review, as that makes it "released" according to the MMORPG standard. The other requirement, that they are accepting payment for their service has been long met.

Looking forward to that.
    MadFrenchieExcession
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

Ozmodan said:

Was just reading they are asking for another 87 million to finish it.   Good luck with that.

Better get a lawyer someone payroll is way to high...I am still holding out on this game..So i cant really judge it..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and mechanics.
    The AI is still fairly basic - there's a lot more coming, but the AI...
    We have procedural missions so there's a lot of 'go deliver something to this place', 'go identify a dead body on a spaceship', 'go after this particular pirate'.
    There's a basic buying and selling mechanic, hauling cargo, the ability to earn and spend money on clothes, weapons, ship items or ship weapons.

I wonder just how basic all of this basic stuff will be? It seems strange to be talking about basic this, that and the other when the project is almost 5 years old.

"All the money we've raised dictates our budget - to a certain point where we have pretty much everything on our wishlist."

And that's precisely the problem Chris....

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Leviathan64Leviathan64 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Ozmodan said:

Can you link the source? I believe it, but I'm still curious.

As a very early backer myself the biggest issue I have with all the excuses we see from Roberts (years after the original projected release date) is that I wonder what would have happened had their funding stopped in the 10-20 million range. Already by that point they had made promises that even now they seem to be struggling to keep with 150 mil at their disposal while the 6 mil goal was set to include 100 solar systems. Are we supposed to believe they really could have delivered on that?

Granted I don't follow all the chairman letters and weekly updates, nor have I combed through the interviews and Q and A sessions to try to find an answer to this question. But so far, I really have not heard any attempt to address this (at least what I would consider) blatant fabrication of what was feasible with the amount of money originally requested. If they can't complete this project with what they have now, what hope could they have possibly had before?

That is the major reason that I am reluctant to believe in anything they say at this point. The whole endeavor seems to have been grossly over simplified when it was originally sold to the public, to the point where even now with many times their original goals they don't seem to have any hope of delivering what was originally promised. It doesn't inspire confidence, and I still don't understand why fans are still so ready to rush to their defense.

It's possible I might be more sympathetic were it not for the success of similar games like Elite: Dangerous, with less at their disposal they had realistic goals and expectations and have for the most part met them (naturally they've had to adjust their release window a few times but they are still close enough). They haven't come to their fan base begging for more money in the form of faux subscriptions and purchased ships, their cash shop is purely cosmetic (to my knowledge). Sure there wasn't much to do when it first came out, but it was what they promised to make from day one, so far as I've seen they haven't sold us anything on which they did not ultimately deliver in a reasonable time frame.

That said, I would love to believe in this project again, I really would. Any time I post anywhere about it, people respond but their responses are generally unconvincing, sentiments without any real substance. If anyone has any information they think can restore my faith in Star Citizen, please share it. If not, join me in being generally dissatisfied with how our money has been used to create a demo that is years late and seems to have trouble running even on top of the line machines (maybe that has changed since my last test, but from what I've read it doesn't sound like it).

I think Kickstarting is a great idea for some projects that would not get off the ground without it. My only hope here is that we hold CI accountable for their (probable) misuse of our money so that others who imagine they can abuse the system will know that consumers will not accept that treatment lying down. I hope I am wrong, please prove it if you can.
    MadFrenchiefitstar
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    In other words. Pay us and we still might finish.
    Agent_Joseph
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Ozmodan said:

Can you link the source? I believe it, but I'm still curious.

Yes, i would like a link to the source as well please.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and
    mechanics.
    The AI
    is still fairly basic - there's a lot more coming, but the AI...
    We have procedural missions so there's a lot of 'go deliver something
    to this place', 'go identify a dead body on a spaceship', 'go after this
    particular pirate'.
    There's a basic buying and
    selling mechanic, hauling cargo, the ability to earn and spend money on
    clothes, weapons, ship items or ship weapons.

I wonder just how basic all of this basic stuff will be? It seems strange to be talking about basic this, that and the other when the project is almost 5 years old.

"All the money we've raised dictates our budget - to a certain point where we have pretty much everything on our wishlist."

I'd imagine with the scope of the game, what he is calling basic is a finished product for my games out there. I mean on simple collection or identify missions, there can't be more basic than what is in most released games. But to him, that's incredibly basic. He calls it basic because his end-goal is a lot of next-level stuff. When people learn to ski, they may take a couple years of lessons and practice to feel competent and for some, complete as a skier. Some may say they have mastered skiing because they can do double black diamonds. But for the kid looking at the X-Games skiers throwing quad corks, he doesn't feel he has mastered skiing at the same level as some, he feels he has the basics and is now ready to make that push towards the next-level, standard redefining achievements.

For the vision of the game, a lot of complete released and even critically acclaimed games, would see basic and rudimentary to what is slowly being crafted in Star Citizen. Just a thought.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• fitstarfitstar Member UncommonPosts: 8
    It is amazing to me how anyone can see anything positive in this project anymore. It has devolved into a complete shitshow and every backer who has not asked for a refund has been cucked and is stupid. 5 Years and talking about starting early access.
    BabuinixtrisoxAgent_JosephMaurgrim
  • fitstarfitstar Member UncommonPosts: 8

Daranar said:

3.0 is the first time you'll have some of the basic game loops and

mechanics.
    The AI

is still fairly basic - there's a lot more coming, but the AI...
    We have procedural missions so there's a lot of 'go deliver something

to this place', 'go identify a dead body on a spaceship', 'go after this

particular pirate'.
    There's a basic buying and

selling mechanic, hauling cargo, the ability to earn and spend money on

clothes, weapons, ship items or ship weapons.

I'd imagine with the scope of the game, what he is calling basic is a finished product for my games out there. I mean on simple collection or identify missions, there can't be more basic than what is in most released games. But to him, that's incredibly basic. He calls it basic because his end-goal is a lot of next-level stuff. When people learn to ski, they may take a couple years of lessons and practice to feel competent and for some, complete as a skier. Some may say they have mastered skiing because they can do double black diamonds. But for the kid looking at the X-Games skiers throwing quad corks, he doesn't feel he has mastered skiing at the same level as some, he feels he has the basics and is now ready to make that push towards the next-level, standard redefining achievements.

For the vision of the game, a lot of complete released and even critically acclaimed games, would see basic and rudimentary to what is slowly being crafted in Star Citizen. Just a thought.

Stop with this bullshit already. Do something with your money that you can enjoy now or invest. Or if you are keen in throwing it away I have some student loan to be paid off too
    Babuinix
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    That is the major reason that I am reluctant to believe in anything they say at this point. The whole endeavor seems to have been grossly over simplified when it was originally sold to the public, to the point where even now with many times their original goals they don't seem to have any hope of delivering what was originally promised. It doesn't inspire confidence, and I still don't understand why fans are still so ready to rush to their defense.

EDIT- Mobile site still has all kinds of issues with quoting.  My response is below:

Of course it was, because that's become standard operating procedure for crowdfunded MMOs.  Presenting the realistic path to a release would mean sacrificing a lot of that sweet, sweet no strings attached money that's continually being raked in.
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    Leviathan64

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    I am taking this as "we are releasing what we got because we have lied multiple times and people still throw money at us".

lol....will it have butt wiping and taking a shit?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So 5+ years 150+ million dollars for something akin to early access?
    Agent_Joseph

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    The rot starts at the top.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool."
    Richard Feynman

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    Star Citizen still going, haters still hating, life as usual lol
    ExcessionAgent_JosephMaurgrim
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Babuinix said:

ExcessionScotchUp
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited September 2017
    Babuinix said:

Not being sarcastic, but I don't get it.  I don't think I know who that is.

Truly curious: who is that and what are those symbols on his left, his right, and below him?  I'm guessing he's a political figure, right?