Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(positivity thread!) What features/mechanics do you like about NEW MMOs? (WoW and newer)

2»

Comments

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Wow isn't new. It's from 2004. Meaning it's the same age as EQ2 and several others. You'd be better off saying LOTRO and newer. And quite frankly nothing comes to mind. 
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Eldurian said:
    Gorwe said:
    One word: TRANSMORGRIFICATION! I've had it with choosing between stats and looks. Was the stupidest thing ever. Long live Transmog!
    Absolutely. I hate how every MMO has some solid looking newb armor, generally some really good but not overly fancy mid-range armor, and then when you hit max level they take a three year old and have them paste additions onto your armor then give him a few cans of paint and tell him to go nuts.

Max level armor is just gaudy crap in nearly every MMO. Whenever possible I go back and make my armor look like what I was wearing as a newb or mid-level character.
    I agree, I much prefer the slick look of a nice set of etched leather armor, as opposed to an oversized lion face hanging off one shoulder and so many buckles it would be physically impossible to realistically put up a fight whatsoever.
    TsiyaGorwe

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like intuitive combat that's easy to pickup even if you haven't played the game in awhile.  I love a good story that's tied into questing.  I like GW2 has an icon on the UI that gives easy access to to their auction house so I can keep room in my inventory without having to stop what I'm doing to manage it.  Like being able to use any weapon in ESO and the questing.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Solo play must not be confused with I don't want to interact with other players. I just means activities you want to do but not in a group. 

For instance: I love crafting. I have to compete for resources, sometimes engage in PvP to secure what I want. I have to trade with other players and play the market. That's solo gameplay for me, but only possible in an MMO. 
    Azaron_NightbladeMadFrenchie[Deleted User]
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    LFD .. basically any lobby features that increases convenience.

Kick/quit group ... so i don't have to tolerate anyone for any reasons.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I like when NPCs talk to you differently based on your reputation with their faction or your alignment or recent achievements.
    Eldurian
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I like when NPCs talk to you differently based on your reputation with their faction or your alignment or recent achievements.
    "The gods gave you two hands and you use both of them for your weapon... I can respect that."
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Eldurian said:
    "The gods gave you two hands and you use both of them for your weapon... I can respect that."
    Haha yep yep.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I think the death of XP decay is one of the better moves. I hate the grind enough the first time I don't want to do it more than once. The fact it's been eliminated from virtually every MMO is a good thing.

I also think the rise of freemium and PLEX (Or equivalent systems) has been an improvement over traditional 15$ a month sub. It's a lot easier to get your friends to try a game with you if they can try it for free, and I've enjoyed being able to even hand my friends the items they need to sub up that I purchased with in-game currency if I want them to play badly enough, or keep subbed with them myself if I have enough in-game income.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Phasing. Where you can change the game world forever without messing it up for everybody else. I really don't understand why more games aren't going all out with that. The rest is just refinement of what came before to me, like reducing downtime etc.

Ohh. And cross server parties/chat/guilds. Remember when you picked that one server which turned out to have an ultra low population but unfortunately you already had a max level char there? Gone are these days, awesome!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer