Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall - Looking Ahead & Learning from the Past - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageCrowfall - Looking Ahead & Learning from the Past - MMORPG.com

In 2008 the MMORPG world was graced with Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. Like Crowfall, WAR had been highly anticipated prior to release and was offering up some very innovative ideas, many of which were highlighted in charismatic updates by Paul Barnett. Being a spiritual successor to Dark Age of Camelot, WAR was often spoken of with elation among members of the DAoC playerbase who saw it as an opportunity to reinvent the revolutionary systems of its antiquated predecessor.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• tannim78tannim78 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    It will be interesting...one way or another....
    JamesGoblin
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Say what you want about WAR, it has the best dwarf beards to this day.
    tannim78JamesGoblinKeldor837Mouloxtos85ConstantineMerussschrupp
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    One big difference, no EA. While I'm not looking forward to the graphics/art style of Crowfall, especially rats, it will be the most promising rvr mmo to release in many years. Let's hope this and/or Camelot Unchained can be the virtual home thousands of us hardcore and casual rvr mmo players have been endlessly searching and failing to find for much of the past decade.
    tannim78JamesGoblinBruceYeeConstantineMerusRealizer
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • rudolfrealrudolfreal Member UncommonPosts: 26
    As an old hardcore player of both warhammer online and shadowbane, one critical difference Crowfall learned from them: most players like over 90% are playing games for fun, for competitive, for enjoying their free time. Not for pain, for rising from the ashes.

Both warhammer and shadowbane suffer a lot from their siege system. Both of them lose a lot of players when the city/capital is captured. People just don't want to facing those tragic and that's why almost all of those survive games do not have a long healthy life. Just thinking that you spent tons of hours to build up a city/building/whatever and they are destroyed by other players in minutes, nobody likes that and nobody would want to build everything again so they can be destroy again.

In crowfall, you have eternal kingdom where you can keep your progress and don't need to worry about losing them. For those worlds, they are just a match, like DOTA2 or LOL, you get something from each match and keep them no matter it's a win or lose.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • tannim78tannim78 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    It for some reason reminds me of a book series I read alooong time ago.....Central kingdom with outlaying worlds...hmm
    JamesGoblin
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Only time will tell.
    JamesGoblin
  • nickelsig229nickelsig229 Member UncommonPosts: 27

As an old hardcore player of both warhammer online and shadowbane, one critical difference Crowfall learned from them: most players like over 90% are playing games for fun, for competitive, for enjoying their free time. Not for pain, for rising from the ashes.

Both warhammer and shadowbane suffer a lot from their siege system. Both of them lose a lot of players when the city/capital is captured. People just don't want to facing those tragic and that's why almost all of those survive games do not have a long healthy life. Just thinking that you spent tons of hours to build up a city/building/whatever and they are destroyed by other players in minutes, nobody likes that and nobody would want to build everything again so they can be destroy again.

In crowfall, you have eternal kingdom where you can keep your progress and don't need to worry about losing them. For those worlds, they are just a match, like DOTA2 or LOL, you get something from each match and keep them no matter it's a win or lose.

I have to disagree. I have played warhammer release to the day it was shutdown, and Shadowbane from release in 03 till it sold in 04, then came back in 06 till it closed in 09. They are my top two pvp mmo's. I enjoyed the pvp more then AC, DaoC, Darkfall and others I can't even remember right now. But the thing that I remember the most was defending and attacking at SB Banes. The politics on the forums between the factions, the alliances, the betrayals everything involved with that game was by far the highest form of pvp mmo since before and after. A game is not fun if what you and your friends work hard to accomplish is never at risk. Nothing to loose, nothing to fight for.

People always talk about making their own game if they had a billion dollars, I would make shadowbane, with original ruleset and abilities but with updated graphics and performance. I would also have the best selling game of all time. If only I had a billion dollars.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2017
    Two major ideas this game banks on or i should say that matter to players and why i have always been concerned about this game's design.

Campaign's:Non living world but more a computer generated timed albeit fairly long EVENT.So it is not a persistent world even though they try to claim as persistent as any game because it stores character data.So in that sense it is like a longer duration moba a design i detest as being NON RPG to fake looking.

Then the ONLY way to build the ever popular parcels to upgrade your Kingdoms is via these Campaigns that you MUST take part in,so YOUR role playing experience is not YOURS but the one forced upon you.

I have yet to figure out how or how much you attain from these Campaigns to build parcels.Example do the so called losers get anything to carry over?How viable is it to craft your parcels when compared to buying from the cash shop?

it is the overall design that does not sit with me,i want a living world that if you can make changes great if not ,i still want the world to remain a world and not just disappear like some computer simulator.The idea of a role playing game is to live out a life within a world and not a Campaign simulator.
    I would garner a very educated guess that the majority will be outright spending in the cash shop and that is because it is faster and easier and players will be MOST concerned with building their Kingdoms and why the cash shop will play far too big a role in your gaming life within this game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    edited September 2017
    warhammer's RVR/PVP/large scale combat was just nonstop keep flipping at a super fast pace. sieging was lame, as the map could flip nonstop in 30 minutes to 1 hour. youd take something and like 5 minutes later the other zerg would take it back. was just nonstop flipping with no meaning. Daoc at the time took like 30 minutes to an hour to take one keep. 3-8 hours for relic sieges. (daoc is much faster now though, was talking about pre-toa type stuff)
    AlomarJamesGoblin

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • rudolfrealrudolfreal Member UncommonPosts: 26

I have to disagree. I have played warhammer release to the day it was shutdown, and Shadowbane from release in 03 till it sold in 04, then came back in 06 till it closed in 09. They are my top two pvp mmo's. I enjoyed the pvp more then AC, DaoC, Darkfall and others I can't even remember right now. But the thing that I remember the most was defending and attacking at SB Banes. The politics on the forums between the factions, the alliances, the betrayals everything involved with that game was by far the highest form of pvp mmo since before and after. A game is not fun if what you and your friends work hard to accomplish is never at risk. Nothing to loose, nothing to fight for.

People always talk about making their own game if they had a billion dollars, I would make shadowbane, with original ruleset and abilities but with updated graphics and performance. I would also have the best selling game of all time. If only I had a billion dollars.

You missed my point. There are niche players like you and me enjoy those pvp games and can keep building cities from ashes even if they are destroyed, but this does not apply to general population and an MMO needs general population to survive, as least some of them. And from my experience, the game server suffers a lot after the capital is raided in Warhammer online or city destroyed in shadowbane.